• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
I'd be down for a Marvel vs. DC game. Would WB actually want a Marvel collaboration though? Maybe if the sales potential is high enough I guess.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
406d7b68d5a1d7afbf2f1ab34979df4a.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously, this shit is godawful.

Superman headgear, sure, but what's wrong with that Batman design? Seems pretty average at worst. Much better than the one in Inj1.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
There's room for both MvC games and whatever the hell this will end up being. I really don't see why they can't approve both, honestly.
Because honestly? It just never happens.
On paper, you're right. They could have both. But historically speaking this never happens in the gaming industry. Anytime a franchise makes a huge shift and that shift sells well, that becomes the MO for the franchise moving forward. I really can't think of much examples where this wasn't the case.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not looking forward to this...

But I'd watch the pre-fight character interactions on YouTube day-zero!
Especially if it's Marvel vs. DC

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Because honestly? It just never happens.
On paper, you're right. They could have both. But historically speaking this never happens in the gaming industry. Anytime a franchise makes a huge shift and that shift sells well, that becomes the MO for the franchise moving forward. I really can't think of much examples where this wasn't the case.

Yep. Its defacto exclusivity with that brand for the genre even if they didn't buy an exclusivity contract for that. Its competing with yourself if you make two games based on a brand in a genre at the same time anyway.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I don't care how much more money the NRS games make or how they're praised by real life martial artists. They feel like crap to play to my personal tastes. Thats after I bought MK11 for pc as well for that 2nd campaign release.

That said. People who want another MAHVEL game needs to play Power Rangers for fuck's sake, especially since Ryu and Chun-Li are coming out for it.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
DC teams up with a lot of third parties in their comics, it's been Marvel who's pretty reluctant to work with anyone. I think it's been more than a decade since Marvel did a crossover while DC did team up with some random anime named RWBY in the comics.

Yep, IIRC Quesada was the one that put the kibosh on the crossovers and even Didio was baffled by it. I've showed sone of the crossovers like Batman/TMNT and JL/Power Rangers. I just wish we'd get Marvel/DC ones again.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Devastated MvC fans should be playing Battle for the Grid. MvC was unsuccessful financially and you still got four of them.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Devastated MvC fans should be playing Battle for the Grid. MvC was unsuccessful financially and you still got four of them.

Unfortunately, no. They're not. They've had ample time to by now. They straight up didn't play Infinite because the characters they like were missing on top of it not being a looker. Combofiend got eaten alive for even making the "functions" argument. Some folks are still not playing SFV now because Karin and Ibuki don't play much like they used to play now in SFV and they're still in the game. Characters are a total package from moves, appearance and feeling.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The salt at this idea in this thread got me going like

Yeah some of the straight-up salt and rage here is definitely weird, and I say that as as life-long MAHVEL fan who's not really into the current NRS fighter flow. The idea of it potentially killing off MvC definitely sucks but it's not like an NRS Marvel is entirely without merit and I can certainly see the appeal.

It'd just have to not fuck up on its own merits.

if you thought people whining about Squeenix Avengers models were fun..do i have some news for you

The fact that NRS is perfectly capable of replicating actors' likenesses will only make this extra hilarious.

And by hilarious I of course mean painful.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
www.youtube.com

Mortal Kombat 11 vs Street Fighter V Animation

Typo : Explosion* Mortal Kombat has always had some weird character animation in older games (MK9, MKX) , Some people say it's an artistic choice, Others say...

NRS animations imho look really great especially when compared to the other titles.
Of course they do. People have a hard time comparing the hyper realistic look of NRS games to the anime look of pretty much every single other fighting game. Completely different styles that call for completely different types of animation.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
If it's NRS doing Marvel vs. DC, then yeah there's room for MvC. If it's just NRS doing a Marvel only game, then there's not room for MvC.

I don't really follow the differentiation. My opinion is that if NRS is using the Marvel license at all for their next fighting game Marvel's going to freeze licensing it out for fighting games to see how it plays out and we wouldn't see another for 2-3 years at the least after the potential NRS one.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Very LTTP to this, but this is gonna be so hype if it turned out to be true!

If it turned out true also I'd love for NRS maybe to go crazy in terms of art direction/gameplay to differentiate it from Injustice and MK,
I'd personally love a high poly version of the art style of MUA3 but you never know.

Also damn! the amount of rage on my twitter about this ...

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I don't really follow the differentiation. My opinion is that if NRS is using the Marvel license at all for their next fighting game Marvel's going to freeze licensing it out for fighting games to see how it plays out and we wouldn't see another for 2-3 years at the least after the potential NRS one.

A Marvel vs. DC game would have a licensing situation that would not be like a straight-up Marvel-only game. It would not indicate a long term relationship or preclude other Marvel crossovers. It would be a limited partnership between AT&T and Disney. A huge crossover event that plays up the once-in-a-lifetime rarity.

A Marvel-only NRS game would be more along the lines of a Lego Marvel deal, and would probably block any other Marvel fighting games to not saturate the market.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's funny, because if Capcom made a new Marvel game, the fanbase probably wouldn't like it because it wasn't slavishly close enough to the two-decade old game that they'd just keep playing, anyway.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Superman headgear, sure, but what's wrong with that Batman design? Seems pretty average at worst. Much better than the one in Inj1.
It's the extra 'edges' in the cowl and chest plates. They seem over-designed . Look around the eyes of the cowl: it's a mess. In cutscenes, for me, it's super distracting.

They are trying so hard to be different than other batsuits... They go way off-base.

That's just me.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I mean aren't the lego games made under WB? Including the Marvel ones? This isn't that far fetched

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
A Marvel vs. DC game would have a licensing situation that would not be like a straight-up Marvel-only game. It would not indicate a long term relationship or preclude other Marvel crossovers. It would be a limited partnership between AT&T and Disney. A huge crossover event that plays up the once-in-a-lifetime rarity.

A Marvel-only NRS game would be more along the lines of a Lego Marvel deal, and would probably block any other Marvel fighting games to not saturate the market.

I see what you're saying, but I still think Marvel would not want any overlap between games if one was still being supported. I think either MvC4 or any NRS game with Marvel shelves the other for a while.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny, because if Capcom made a new Marvel game, the fanbase probably wouldn't like it because it wasn't slavishly close enough to the two-decade old game that they'd just keep playing, anyway.

?

I think you're confusing the MvC community, which hasn't really had this issue, with some other community?

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
I figured this was happening since Boon has been tweeting random stuff mentioning Marvel for a while now. Can't wait to see it.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
The MvC community that lost its goddamn mind when they gave Captain Marvel in Infinite the moves of some other character from an older game? That one?

Taking away a beloved character and giving someone else the moves is of course gonna rub people the wrong way. Same happened with Kira with Kano/Sonya.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
What a massive downgrade for marvel in fighting games if we went from fast n fluid MvC franchise, to that bum ass fighting engine that NRS makes. Wack games.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I think it means that was the gif they happened to have handy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MK11 still has bad animation (some moves are fine, some stuff looks janky). Obviously SFV has individual animations that are better or worse than others too, so I'm not saying that game has amazing animations across the board, but it's a good point of comparison. Look at Ryu's jump in SFV vs. Scorpion's jump in MK11 (I pulled it from this video; please ignore the video artifacting):

jumpcomparegifn1j6f.gif

If you look at Ryu, before he jumps, he crouches down from his idle stance down to more of a crouch...

ryuidlevcj80.png

ryupre-jumpeujsy.png

...to build momentum. This makes sense. You can't just be standing up straight and then jump without bending your knees first. Compare it with Scorpion, where he goes from his idle stance to just levitating off the ground:

scorpionidleavk2y.png

scorpionjump1oukjc.png

scorpionjump27sjeu.png
This is so laughably bad.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
On the one hand, imagining the hurdles of getting a Marvel V DC off the ground is insane.

On the OTHER hand can you even imagine the copies they'd sell if they did it?

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
If they ever make a Marvel vs DC fighting game, I really really hope that they don't butcher the roster... we don't need all these Batman characters in what would be a limited roster to begin with

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The world: Marvel vs DC crossover fighting videogame!
Me: yessssss
The world: By Netherrealm!
Me: ...I'll wait and see I guess

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
How bout make it Marvel vs DC vs MK vs SF, and make it a long running platform so we get all the characters we deserve fighting each other.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Maybe the only thing to rival Smash sales or just match Mortal Kombat sales.

If it existed and was good I could see it outselling pretty much any fighting game out there. Fighting game fans would buy it, Marvel fans would buy it, DC fans would buy it, and the hype of it even existing would get people not even into fighting games into it just to see Batman and Spider-Man duke it out.

Just imagine the ridiculousness they could pull off with it, especially if Disney and WB go all in on it. I'd just hope each side gets a joke character (Howard the Duck versus Detective Chimp!).

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I think it means that was the gif they happened to have handy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MK11 still has bad animation (some moves are fine, some stuff looks janky). Obviously SFV has individual animations that are better or worse than others too, so I'm not saying that game has amazing animations across the board, but it's a good point of comparison. Look at Ryu's jump in SFV vs. Scorpion's jump in MK11 (I pulled it from this video; please ignore the video artifacting):

jumpcomparegifn1j6f.gif

If you look at Ryu, before he jumps, he crouches down from his idle stance down to more of a crouch...

ryuidlevcj80.png

ryupre-jumpeujsy.png

...to build momentum. This makes sense. You can't just be standing up straight and then jump without bending your knees first. Compare it with Scorpion, where he goes from his idle stance to just levitating off the ground:

scorpionidleavk2y.png

scorpionjump1oukjc.png

scorpionjump27sjeu.png
Scorpion is magic, argument destroyed.

Why won't anyone WAKE UP and make a Marvel Smash clone? I don't know why we keep getting 1v1 fighters when platform fighters are essentially perfect for licenses with a huge roster.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the constant animation posts is funny. NetherRealm has made dramatic improvements to character animations in each of their games. Comparing MkX to Injustice 2 and then comparing injustice 2 to Mk11 is night and day. To think that there won't be significant presentation improvements in their next game (especially if it's next gen only) is odd.

They're probably the best chance we have at getting a good Marvel fighting game now. PS5/Xbox Series exclusive with some gameplay inspiration from MvC.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the constant animation posts is funny. NetherRealm has made dramatic improvements to character animations in each of their games. Comparing MkX to Injustice 2 and then comparing injustice 2 to Mk11 is night and day. To think that there won't be significant presentation improvements in their next game (especially if it's next gen only) is odd.

They're probably the best chance we have at getting a good Marvel fighting game now. PS5/Xbox Series exclusive with some gameplay inspiration from MvC.
You're right that they've been doing nothing but going upwards in quality but it still shouldn't be taking this long to make something like jumping feel okay lol

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
You're right that they've been doing nothing but going upwards in quality but it still shouldn't be taking this long to make something like jumping feel okay lol
I mean, it looks ok.

Like sure, they should (and probably will) improve it for their next game. But outside of the lack of crouching it looks good. His arms and legs animate perfectly fine when he's in the air.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it looks ok.

Like sure, they should (and probably will) improve it for their next game. But outside of the lack of crouching it looks good. His arms and legs animate perfectly fine when he's in the air.
the crouching is the most crucial part lol
without it, everybody looks like they're being lifted in the air like puppets and it feels horrible to use

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

I do love how post like these always gloss over the fact that its safe to say NRS probably has the largest budget in the entire genre and still act like they're some up and coming dev still learning how to make fighting games