• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god I think that EW review might count twice. It's listed twice on RT because it's two different critics.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Watched the first episode. Some messy set-up but it's an entertaining pulp fantasy exercise. Cavill does a fine job. Worth watching if you're a fan of the genre and you have an appreciation for cheesy fantasy shit, otherwise stay away. As far as the reviews go, it's fine to ask a non-fan to give their take, but not fair to ask critics who are actively hostile to the whole idea of cheesy fantasy shit to give their take. Like, "LOL it's Dungeons & Dragons and the names are weird, there are elves, can you believe someone made this??" isn't something that should get past an editor's desk.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
The actual plot and characters are pretty good, some of the acting is also quite strong

Dialogue is not great; it sounds like late season GOT pop culture dialogue as opposed to dialogue "in that world".. early seasons GOT had terrific dialogue

The sets are fine but the wilds are not great, particularly the forest shots and such are quite ugly. Looks weedly and don't have the fantasy tone

Lastly, Cavill himself is OK. There's not a lot to do here with the character because it's very deadpan, he plays the humor parts fine but again very pop culture as opposed to something inhabiting the world.. lastly he does the action pretty good.

I think they need to invest into better writing/screenplay talent, with better eyes for visual production, led by top tier TV directors and we'd have something terrific. So far I'm in episode 2 and I like it

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just finished episode 1 and the fight scenes were awesome and the monsters looked great. Overall everything was solid. This is a good example of why critics are useless.

Feb 16, 2018
This is a pretty good show 3 episodes in so far, maybe it's because I'm attached to the universe but I'm overall pretty satisfied and excited to continue to watch.

Oct 26, 2017
I binged it all today. It was pretty damn great, even with it's flaws. I can't wait for season 2.

I'm just now reading reviews after finishing the show, and it's ridiculous how many critics are having to compare this show to Game of Thrones. As if GoT is the only other fantasy to exist in all of media, for fuck's sake.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
After enjoying the first 2 episodes immensely, I can safely say these popular critics have no idea what they're talking about. They need to be spoon fed every little bit of exposition to not be completely dumbfounded by the simplest bits of lore.

This show is doing extremely well with audiences. It's one of the top rated shows on IMDB currently.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty mixed reviews but at least I don't care about them. I watched the show and enjoyed it a ton, that's not to say it doesn't have room for improvement. 8.5/10

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
The actual plot and characters are pretty good, some of the acting is also quite strong

Dialogue is not great; it sounds like late season GOT pop culture dialogue as opposed to dialogue "in that world".. early seasons GOT had terrific dialogue

The sets are fine but the wilds are not great, particularly the forest shots and such are quite ugly. Looks weedly and don't have the fantasy tone

Lastly, Cavill himself is OK. There's not a lot to do here with the character because it's very deadpan, he plays the humor parts fine but again very pop culture as opposed to something inhabiting the world.. lastly he does the action pretty good.

I think they need to invest into better writing/screenplay talent, with better eyes for visual production, led by top tier TV directors and we'd have something terrific. So far I'm in episode 2 and I like it
What do you mean by fantasy tone? Like alien looking fantastic type of landscapes?

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
5 episodes in now and yeah my major complaints are weird pacing, bad dialogue (here and there), and my biggest complaint: the show being shot like it's a music video or something; episodes are filled with such weird lighting and shot choices.

Otherwise the show is actually really good so far and critics are way off the mark. I'm going to stop following them for sci-fi/fantasy.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the first episode just fine. I thought it introduced various concepts well enough to not be confusing, there was enough going on and it was entertaining throughout. Not high art or anything, but it never pretends to be. My main issue lies with the visual effects, it leans hard on CG and it shows.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
What do you mean by fantasy tone? Like alien looking fantastic type of landscapes?

I don't know how to describe it, but it's very weedly and ugly. Forests are a staple in fantasy, even putting aside GOT it's used in Pan's Labyrinth and stuff like Bridge to Terabithia. It looks very bad here. It's probably shot in the wrong location. There are multiple forest scenes in Witcher and supposedly in different locations but I give a thumbs down to all.

I'm also on episode 5 now and will finish it today, and I give the series a big thumbs up.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I don't know how to describe it, but it's very weedly and ugly. Forests are a staple in fantasy, even putting aside GOT it's used in Pan's Labyrinth and stuff like Bridge to Terabithia. It looks very bad here. It's probably shot in the wrong location. There are multiple forest scenes in Witcher and supposedly in different locations but I give a thumbs down to all.

I'm also on episode 5 now and will finish it today, and I give the series a big thumbs up.
Interesting. That could be a valid criticism lol. But to me being in a state that is one giant forest it looks like all the forest in any "grounded" fantasy show. I might be too used to seeing nothing but trees🤣

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starting ep 3 and I'm enjoying it.

Maybe because I like fantasy and the games? or because I never saw GoT?

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Interesting. That could be a valid criticism lol. But to me being in a state that is one giant forest it looks like all the forest in any "grounded" fantasy show. I might be too used to seeing nothing but trees🤣

I've gone to forests in many states, lived in 3 but traveled 10+.. lots of better choices they could have used

The cheap CG and lens flare in some of the scenes are also pretty bad

It's a good show but the visual direction is a B

I'm not convinced this was a high budget production at all

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
It could definitely be better, I expected a lot worse. Needs a bigger budget though. The fight against the striga for example looked like shit when it should have been a big ass CG monster whooping Geralt's ass.

It's 2019 and people still think they're cool for hating on the fantasy genre when they're two decades removed from high school. Tear it apart like a grown up if you feel really feel that way.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
watched the first three episodes and its damn good. i don't get all these criticisms, they sound overly harsh to me. its not perfect but for a first season, its damn good. only one scene i felt was exposition heavy, combat was great, monster effects are very good. love the characters and as a player of the game i liked that i could follow certain plot lines and there are nods to the games in there. while i haven't read the books i can see the connection from the books to the game (w3) to the show. if you are familiar with geralt from the game then this show version will feel like home to you. i'd give it an 'a' for effort.

don't go in here expecting a new g.o.t. show and appreciate it for its own sake. g.o.t. set a high bar its unfair to judge all new efforts to it.

also found the nudity gratuitous, a taste is sweet, but they kept going back to that well and it turned sour quick.

*edit: one more observation: i had a thought half way through ep3, this series (so far) reminds of a monster-of-the-week x-files show, less g.o.t. i like that.

Last edited:

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this was positioned as the next GoT. The first episode was weak. Poor writing, pacing and narrative delivery.

So much of it just felt too glossy and forced. The emotional moments felt completely hollow, and aside from the final sword fight, the action, big battle etc had no tension, suspense or impact. Ciri's screaming was also just silly.

Honestly this felt closer to Spartacus or some other not to be taken seriously, cheesy as hell but semi fun show, instead of something grittier and more emotionally resonant like GoT.

I'll keep watching, but damn was that first episode disappointing.

Talk about unrealistic expectations.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I've gone to forests in many states, lived in 3 but traveled 10+.. lots of better choices they could have used

The cheap CG and lens flare in some of the scenes are also pretty bad

It's a good show but the visual direction is a B

I'm not convinced this was a high budget production at all
I think I'm noticing what you mean...it looks desaturated to me? But living in Oregon I'm used to bright green forest. There is something off looking, just can't put my finger on it.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
watched the first three episodes and its damn good. i don't get all these criticisms, they sound overly harsh to me. its not perfect but for a first season, its damn good. only one scene i felt was exposition heavy, combat was great, monster effects are very good. love the characters and as a player of the game i liked that i could follow certain plot lines and there are nods to the games in there. while i haven't read the books i can see the connection from the books to the game (w3) to the show. if you are familiar with geralt from the game then this show version will feel like home to you. i'd give it an 'a' for effort.

don't go in here expecting a new g.o.t. show and appreciate it for its own sake. g.o.t. set a high bar its unfair to judge all new efforts to it.

also found the nudity gratuitous, a taste is sweet, but they kept going back to that well and it turned sour quick.

*edit: one more observation: i had a thought half way through ep3, this series (so far) reminds of a monster-of-the-week x-files show, less g.o.t. i like that.
The Witcher....gratuitous nudity you say lol. Sounds like the Witcher! Especially the first game.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I quite like this show. It certainly has that first season feeling of writers trying to figure out what works, but I think they have a decent enough foundation to carry them I to season 2.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Talk about unrealistic expectations.

Roughly $10m an episode budget (more than nearly every season of GoT up to Season 6), tonnes of hype and marketing, plus a strong cast. I think some level of expectation is fair?

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher....gratuitous nudity you say lol. Sounds like the Witcher! Especially the first game.
i've only played witcher 3. now don't get me wrong there are only a few scenes with nudity (maybe even just a couple), but the scenes with them i found leaned into titillation a bit too hard. i couldn't help but roll my eyes after the third or fourth shot. a scene turning into a peep show doesn't help the narrative. either way, its a minor criticism, i'm just trying to enjoy a witcher show.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
The show isn't without problems, but it's very solid with some standout moments. It finds the right tone after a couple episodes, I really enjoyed it. As others have said, it's pretty clear that the people involved actually care about the material.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
That first episode was pretty much what I wanted to see. Writing was a little rough in places, but it was the right mix of the books and games.

I guess I just don't go into things expecting a masterwork. It's good. It's not altering the very concept of visual storytelling, it's just a solid show.

Also the sword fight was excellent. Exceeded my expectations.

Essentially, they said they were making a Witcher Netflix show, and they did. I'm sold.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
i've only played witcher 3. now don't get me wrong there are only a few scenes with nudity (maybe even just a couple), but the scenes with them i found leaned into titillation a bit too hard. i couldn't help but roll my eyes after the third or fourth shot. a scene turning into a peep show doesn't help the narrative. either way, its a minor criticism, i'm just trying to enjoy a witcher show.
That makes sense, the first Witcher game had collectibles in the form of card that features nudes of every woman in the game lol. and the books have been criticized by some for being pretty bad in terms of there depiction of women.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Do y'all think this would be a good replacement for Game of Thrones for my partner (who doesn't play videogames) and I to watch? Or is it simply not at all on the same level of quality as GoT?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Do y'all think this would be a good replacement for Game of Thrones for my partner (who doesn't play videogames) and I to watch? Or is it simply not at all on the same level of quality as GoT?

No. It may scratch the itch in some ways, but replacement?.. nah. it's far more fantasy focused than GoT, for one. It doesn't fuck around, it deep dives into magic right away. Also, while I'm really enjoying it, I'd say that GoT's early seasons were far better written & paced.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

GRRM simply wrote what is the pinnacle of fantasy and at the very least the first four seasons of GOT really adapt it quite well, I wouldn't come into this with those expectations. I mean, things like Ned Stark's death in season 1 and of course the Red Wedding are some of the most shocking things to happen on television. The Witcher is high fantasy, there are mages, elves, dwarves, and other creatures and monsters, it's not of the quality of GOT but it is a well made fantasy show that is fun to watch. There are some good acting performances, excellent fight scenes and the like.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
From reviews, this sounds like there's a lot of objectification of female characters compared to Witcher 2 and 3. Is that accurate? Is there not much male objectification? If so, that's quite sexist, no?

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
GRRM simply wrote what is the pinnacle of fantasy and at the very least the first four seasons of GOT really adapt it quite well, I wouldn't come into this with those expectations. I mean, things like Ned Stark's death in season 1 and of course the Red Wedding are some of the most shocking things to happen on television. The Witcher is high fantasy, there are mages, elves, dwarves, and other creatures and monsters, it's not of the quality of GOT but it is a well made fantasy show that is fun to watch. There are some good acting performances, excellent fight scenes and the like.
Ok thanks. My partner probably won't like the high fantasy aspect, so that's good to know. Cheers.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From reviews, this sounds like there's a lot of objectification of female characters compared to Witcher 2 and 3. Is that accurate? Is there not much male objectification? If so, that's quite sexist, no?
Would be surprising given that the showrunner is a woman, no?

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Mindhunter isn't going anywhere. Some people just like fearmongering and acting as if Netflix will cancel its critically acclaimed shows.

Fincher is a busy guy and I think he's working on a film at the moment so it may be a longer delay for the next season IIRC.
Oh my god. I used to think your Avatar is a dog with a closed mouth who has a weird throat. I just realized the dog has an open mouth and is yawning.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I'm not totally off base here right? There was a look there for sure.

E.. even if, why is this your concern? It was a smile, nothing more. And if there's more, she seems to enjoy it. I didn't see a shocked face on my end at least. People should worry more about themselves tbqh. There are adults that enjoy way older partners. Live and let live?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I am crawling towards the end and the show remains a watchable mess. The astonishing production values make it. Trashy source material it mostly adheres to but is randomly adapted via time jumps and mediocre acting undo it. I´ll return for S0201 to see if there will be a marked improvement but the longer the books go on the worse they get so, I ain´t holding my breath. And about Henry Cavill. He is sadly misacts and delivers a meh performance that is neither book (hooray) nor game (bummer). Quality actor, wrong show. The critic got it right. A very weak 6/10 that would have been a 5 if I didn't know what was going on due to the books and games.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Wonder what they spend the money on, the series looks closer to Princess Fantaghiro than GoT.
$10 million per episode sounds crazy. Amazon's 'The Boys' was made in like $5 million per episode, and has movie quality VFX. I wonder what happened here.

Also, to those who've seen the show, is the scrotum armor as terrible as it looked in the leaked pics?