• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
It's fucking absurd to make Geralt such a hulkster. Cavill really couldn't have slimmed down for a role that calls for an agile physique? The peasants are starving and this meathead's extreme bulking is enough to cause a village-wide famine.
He's clearly using Performance Enhancing Decoctions, and he must be getting all of his monster contract payments in chickens.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Wondering how Henry Cavil's swordplay is considering how bulky he is.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Wondering how Henry Cavil's swordplay is considering how bulky he is.

If I have my movie trivia right, Arnold had to bulk down for Conan because he could not swing the sword properly/as the choreographer wanted with his original physique.

But let's not kid ourselves, the swordplay will probably be serviceable at best.

That's one thing they should not adapt from the game.

(I like the Witcher 3 combat!)

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's a super hype trailer! Is it just me or is the scene at 1:12 from
the Last Wish short story "A Question of Price" where Pavetta wrecks the whole hall trying to save Duny?

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Funny, I'm used to Cavill speaking with an American accent now.

Anyway, that looked ok.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wish I could say I was shocked to see that 8 out of 10 Youtube comments are things like "Why are there black people in this?" or "Now Slavic culture is being appropriated for blacks and jews" or "Wow, PC culture has gone too far. (((They))) blackwashed the Witcher!"

But I'm not.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Do you really believe that this main character is a good depiction of Geralt? I don't know, maybe go less to the gym.

Well from the bruises and scarring it seems he was recently in a fight, his arms look like CG and his posture says "I'm recovering". So maybe that scene is during the aftermath of a monster battle and he's recovering from it and the strength potions haven't quite worn off yet ;)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The fanboys are not only being racist but they're dumb af, Witcher's society isn't 1-to-1 with Eastern Europe.
It's an alternate world, pulling fantasy elements from all sorts of cultures.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could say I was shocked to see that 8 out of 10 Youtube comments are things like "Why are there black people in this?" or "Now Slavic culture is being appropriated for blacks and jews" or "Wow, PC culture has gone too far. (((They))) blackwashed the Witcher!"

But I'm not.

What's been bugging me about this argument since even like, the early casting calls, is how these complaints so often try to make it about 'slavic' culture, but like
They don't complain about the English actors.
Or the Danish actors.
Not whether the sets seem generic as opposed to something more specifically rooted in designs and aesthetics historically found north of the Danube river.
No, no, it's merely the melanin that suddenly means it's not 'slavic' enough.

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Some people at Comicon that saw the exclusive footage of Yennefer were gushing over it.

@Zimbio: " Anya Chalotra is a BADASS Yennefer in #TheWitcher #SDCC2019 #Netflix "

@griffschiller: "WOW. Incredible monologue scene from Anya Chalotra's Yennefer! There are going to be some remarkable performances in this show. What a scene. #TheWitcher #SDCC2019 #HallH"

@popetheking: " Was just show a scene with Anya Chalotra as Yennefer.... just wow. One of my favorite characters in the world of #TheWitcher and happy to see how she looked and felt as this character"

I hope she kills it in that role and shows all those idiots on reddit that complained about her ethnicity. The little scream she did was incredibly emotive.

Also this :

pw54hw7dycb31.gif

This is beyond adorable. Hyped for the show.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
It shows promise!

Nobody should expect GOT levels of production on a first season of probably anything.

Even GOT's first season absolutely didn't have (later season) GOT levels of production, but people have short memories.

Looks fantastic.
The only thing that bothers me are Cavill's really bulky muscles in that half-naked scene, but unless he's going to run around shirtless all the time, I'll survive.

And then there are those of us praying that he runs around shirtless most of the time.

DL Clyde

Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to this! I started with The Witcher 3 but loved the game so much that I planned to read the books one day. With the show coming soon, I already made a start on the books and I'm almost at the end of Blood of Elves. As for the show itself, I was a little skeptical. Especially after seeing some production shots that were most likely out of context but after seeing the first official photos and the trailer, I'm well on board now.

Even GOT's first season absolutely didn't have (later season) GOT levels of production, but people have short memories.

Game of Thrones couldn't even afford a battle in its first season! Someone has mentioned before but there CGI early on wasn't as big.

The fanboys are not only being racist but they're dumb af, Witcher's society isn't 1-to-1 with Eastern Europe.
It's an alternate world, pulling fantasy elements from all sorts of cultures.

My favourite was seeing people complain about some of the women of Brokilon should be green and not black. Even fictional minorities are more accepting than real minorities.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I made the mistake of reading YouTube comments of the trailer... Let's just say a lot of Eastern Europeans aren't thrilled about the inclusion of people of color in the show.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Game of Thrones couldn't even afford a battle in its first season! Someone has mentioned before but there CGI early on wasn't as big.

I might be wrong but... wasn't GOT's first season's CGI work mostly matte backdrops and the baby dragons in the season finale? I struggle to remember any other "big" CGI moment from the early days.

If anything, the big mic drop from the early days was S2's "Blackwater" - and even that was mostly Neil Marshall working wonders with the budget (which was still big for the time, but not as big as it would become) and then the big explosion shot.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to rip off people from reddit but just an example of what stock music sounded like for the preview of Game of Thrones and you'll understand that the music in this trailer will not be the music in the show.

It's almost like teasers and stills aren't wholly representative of the final product. Like when fans were freaking out about that screen test. Seems like some people think there's nothing more that goes into movies and TV than just an actor showing up and shooting.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But Geralt isn't supposed to look good? Like seriously geralt has a rugged charm but he's 90 something years old and doesn't use magic to make himself pretty.

He still looks probably around his early 30s in the books given how they age. The books make it clear that Geralt is a good looking man if you ignore his self hatred and the mutagenic features while paying attention to everyone else and how they call him out on his bullshit.

plau

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly can't believe how racist the comment section for the trailer is. Netflix is probably deleting them too, but there's still so much. It's shocking.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Is Vesemir in the series? Or is he a game creation

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't believe how racist the comment section for the trailer is. Netflix is probably deleting them too, but there's still so much. It's shocking.

It's so ridiculous. Sapkowski's involved in this one, and his sensibilities are entirely allowed to have moved on vs when he first wrote these things decades ago. Meanwhile, for all the supposed complaints about the removal and absence of 'slavic' elements, next to none of that is directed at the very white but not slavic cast - just the black ones.

JakeD

Nov 7, 2017
it's been years since i've read it, but game of thrones s1 didnt skip battles to save money. they skipped battles because that's what the book did and season 1 followed the book pretty close.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It's so ridiculous. Sapkowski's involved in this one, and his sensibilities are entirely allowed to have moved on vs when he first wrote these things decades ago. Meanwhile, for all the supposed complaints about the removal and absence of 'slavic' elements, next to none of that is directed at the very white but not slavic cast - just the black ones.

Fans wanting an all-white cast so it remains "true to Slavic lore," involving a monster hunter and magic.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
He still looks probably around his early 30s in the books given how they age. The books make it clear that Geralt is a good looking man if you ignore his self hatred and the mutagenic features while paying attention to everyone else and how they call him out on his bullshit.
the books make it clear he's attractive but not in a handsome way IIRC and he's been fighting and getting hurt and getting new scars for decades.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Even if we assume that his biological age froze at 30, his extremely wrinkled (from stress and hardships) face would add a whole bunch of years to that.
He doesn't look old, but he doesn't look young either. Geralt basically ages in Hollywood years.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
My favourite was seeing people complain about some of the women of Brokilon should be green and not black. Even fictional minorities are more accepting than real minorities.

Yeah I don't know why people would be stuck on that, first time I'm hearing about this.

Lauren and her staff did get dryads correct, because in actual Witcher lore there are two types. Ones that are born from humans and dryads mating and have all manner of skin color as a result and 'natural' Dryads that are purely green and look like the traditional mythological creatures.

People will catch on I hope that the Witcher world is much more diverse than some might think.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Comic Con Panel (sans exclusive clips)

They all seem they like they are doing their best !

Henry is pretty convincing.

Nov 28, 2017
I am having a hard time getting excited for this. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the game, only tried playing part 3 for about 30 minutes before giving up, and I've never read the books.

But that's not the reason. The reason is that Geralt looks exactly like Julian Sands in Warlock, and those were super cheesy movies which were fine when I was a kid. Just cannot unsee that.
The most likely scenario is me coming to this once it's all over in several years. Don't want a repeat of GoT where it all went to shit towards the end.