• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Okay this sounds right up my alley story wise. Never been a huge fan of superhero comics but what yall are saying about the story in this thread has me VERY intrigued.

What's the best way to start reading this? Book in hand not audio book.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Okay this sounds right up my alley story wise. Never been a huge fan of superhero comics but what yall are saying about the story in this thread has me VERY intrigued.

What's the best way to start reading this? Book in hand not audio book.

I went with the boxed set of trade paperbacks but it often goes in and out of print. I'd recommend that or the recent collections that collect roughly two of the original volumes.

Hardcover-wise the Absolute editions are very popular, but they're a lot of book. Even more so with the Omnibus editions.

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone interested in reading the series any decent size public library probably has most, if not all, of the paperback collections.

The omnibus isn't for reading? Why not? I thought that would be the best most complete version to get to read it all.

You can read them, but they're bigger than some people find comfortable to read.

large-5759725.jpg

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I went with the boxed set of trade paperbacks but it often goes in and out of print. I'd recommend that or the recent collections that collect roughly two of the original volumes.

Hardcover-wise the Absolute editions are very popular, but they're a lot of book. Even more so with the Omnibus editions.
Okay I just added up to book 4 of the Netflix branded ones to my Amazon Cart. Any idea if or when the rest of the series will be adapted in that format?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The Absolute/Omnibus editions have the added benefit of making you feel like Destiny when you're reading them

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I love Sandman to death but I haven't read any of the Lucifer stuff. I knew it wasn't by Gaiman so I figured it wasn't as good. ..but if it is, I'd like to pick up a Lucifer collection that's as nice as those massive Absolute Sandman tomes.

Is this what I'm looking for? https://amazon.com/Lucifer-Omnibus-Sandman-Universe-Classics/dp/1401294766/

Volumes 1 and 2

Yes, that link looks like a collected first half of Carey's Lucifer, and v2 finishes it off.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Amazing breakdown of the trailer (FULL SPOILERS FOR THE COMIC AHEAD)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e54llvV_tc
www.youtube.com

Neil Gaiman Breaks Down Netflix's 'The Sandman' Official Trailer | Vanity Fair

Frame-by-frame, 'The Sandman' writer Neil Gaiman watches and takes us through the official trailer for the first season of Netflix's 'The Sandman.'The Sandma...

Oh my word this video made me super hyped! They really don't seem to be holding back, these madmen!
The corinthian looks amazing! As do Lucifer, Death and Constantine!

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
The Sandman is probably my favorite thing ever, so I just hope they do right by it. Definitely expecting it to be canceled after the first season.

The casting for Desire is absolutely inspired. Like I couldn't have imagined a better choice. I can't wait to see the rest of the family, assuming we make it that far.

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone interested in reading the series any decent size public library probably has most, if not all, of the paperback collections.

You can read them, but they're bigger than some people find comfortable to read.

large-5759725.jpg

Yeah this is how I went about reading Sandman like a decade ago. Check out your local library folks! It's free and can be an awesome resource for comics and manga. Sandman is definitely one of my all time fave comics. I still can't believe this thing is dropping in a few days

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Dream looks too human he just looks like a normal dude here

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

one of the best things about The Sandman is that it's not a superhero comic despite featuring more than one superhero. Hell, I'd say a couple of them are particularly important to the plot at large but it's not a "superhero comic" as you'd think of. Think of it as a story about myths, stories themelves, mortality and immortality, the role of dreams in shaping individuals/cultures and the possibility of change.

5737e16f11c4b0dd270f3ad359328933.jpg

Sandman-13-hob-gadling-panel.jpg

sandman-50-haroun.jpeg

it's more than worth it. If you can find it on your nearest library, go for it.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
one of the best things about The Sandman is that it's not a superhero comic despite featuring more than one superhero. Hell, I'd say a couple of them are particularly important to the plot at large but it's not a "superhero comic" as you'd think of. Think of it as a story about myths, stories themelves, mortality and immortality, the role of dreams in shaping individuals/cultures and the possibility of change.

Sandman-13-hob-gadling-panel.jpg

sandman-50-haroun.jpeg

it's more than worth it. If you can find it on your nearest library, go for it.
Oh I already got the first 4 books coming!

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
shows not out yet and already can't stop thinking what Season of Mists would look like

I need season 2 so bad. My favorite arc

Also want to see the internet react to: A dream of a thousand cats

They're not ready for that story

IIRC Gaiman said they tested Dream on camera with a range of skin tones, and tried black eyes. In live action it didn't always come off well, especially in waking world scenes. However, he also said that Dream changes at certain points - sometimes he is paler / ethereal.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
IIRC Gaiman said they tested Dream on camera with a range of skin tones, and tried black eyes. In live action it didn't always come off well, especially in waking world scenes. However, he also said that Dream changes at certain points - sometimes he is paler / ethereal.

i hope he has the eyes at least in some scenes, like nightmares, when he is pissed or even the opening

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Well more people will hopefully read The Sandman series. It's so personally important to me that I know I'm going to find this a hard watch.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Watched a YouTube video of a sum up of the 1st volume which gives me a good base for the characters and the world. Look forward to watching the show now I know something about it

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Don't have a grasp on any of these characters except the lady who said "dreams suck I want to SLEEP." I felt that. Hope the reviews are good because the show seems like something I would enjoy if the presentation were a bit less all over the place.

May 24, 2019
To everyone getting on the reading, don't skip the newer relaunch. Si Spurrier/Bilquis Evely's The Dreaming is one of my favourite comics, ever.
The art is incredible.
GaVQwjG.jpg

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Steven Fry as Fiddlers' Green. Oh yes. I would hope that there's room for other stories like Three Septembers and a January if they can get that far. Unity and Rose look like great casting so far.

Dringenberg and Jill Thompson (and McKean, in his own way) were the definitive artists on the comic, but I would like to see if they can handle some of the more radical artistic choices made in World's End and Kindly Ones.

Last edited:

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
This has always been my favorite graphic novel series, been reading them since I was maybe eight years old — I don't see the show working out. I love that McKean and Gaiman were involved in its creation but there's a reason an adaptation took this long: the stories here are too metaphysical and serialized to make a jump to the screen. I'll still give it a shot but every time one of these trailers drop, I struggle to see a semblance of the series thoughtfulness. I'll check it out but might watch through my fingers.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
To everyone getting on the reading, don't skip the newer relaunch. Si Spurrier/Bilquis Evely's The Dreaming is one of my favourite comics, ever.
The art is incredible.
GaVQwjG.jpg

Why can't I read this on DC Universe?

Really pisses me off.

Oh and hearing McKean is doing the titles is amazing to hear.

Last time I visited the comic museum in London they had some of his cover on display.

1 their massive and made of material you can imagine. Blew my mind

Oct 26, 2017

This is why I wish Sandman had been adapted as an animated series. Don't get me wrong, the live-action looks good from what I've seen in the trailer but if they had animated it they could have done so many interesting things...

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
This is why I wish Sandman had been adapted as an animated series. Don't get me wrong, the live-action looks good from what I've seen in the trailer but if they had animated it they could have done so many interesting things...

I have maintained that the source material would be vastly better-served by a high-end animated series right from the moment the live-action series was announced!

I'm pleased to see that someone else shares that sentiment!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It needs Mathew Ryan's John Constantine but other than that looks good.

Sounds like they considered doing this, but then decided to have both Johanna (past) and modern Constantine played by the same actress to get the maximum value out of bringing her in, vs. having to split the Constantine role across two actors in two different time periods.

Nov 3, 2020
For those looking to get into the comics, I would recommend picking up the earlier trades (like, pre-2007 I think) or the original floppies of the first 18 issues or so because they've been dramatically recolored in the newer collections.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

View: https://twitter.com/Sandman_Netflix/status/1551607609546969090