• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wiki is listing the budget at $50 to $100 million?

Kinda nuts when Disney/Pixar spend $150 million or more on their films on the regular.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I hope this film wins an Oscar. It might be able to edge out against Raya and Luca.

Manifesting this.

This is way, way better than Raya.

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I'm thinking about it, I hope this film wins an Oscar. It might be able to edge out against Raya and Luca.

Manifesting this.

To be fair it's still pretty early to make that call. As well as Luca, Pixar's Encanto would also be in the conversation and it's crazy we have hardly seen anything from that yet. And there is also Henry Sellick's Wendell and Wild due this year.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair it's still pretty early to make that call. As well as Luca, Pixar's Encanto would also be in the conversation and it's crazy we have hardly seen anything from that yet. And there is also Henry Sellick's Wendell and Wild due this year.

Sounds like this will be a good year for animation fans.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Manifesting this.
Raya is totes mediocre and the jury's obviously out on Luca still, so who knows.

Still hard for anyone other than disney to win the yearly disney award. Spider-verse pulled it off miraculously.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty good, and loved the animation but the little brother was the only one to make me laugh consistently. I just like a good slapstick exit, I guess.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I maintain it's a sad how studios like Pixar and Disney have essentially unlimited money, resources and talent and yet they never really try to take a chance to do something truly visually different from the norm from an animation standpoint. They made movies that look reasonably different from each other to be sure, but all of them seem to share the same rendering pipeline and style. Their photorealistic-like lighting and shading seems to work out the same way in every movie. CGI has potential for being so much more. And it's borderline bizarre how movies like the Hotel Transylvania franchise has more respect and reverence for Disney's principles of animation than Disney themselves these days. Where my squash and stretch at.
Disney developed an amazing cg artstyle, tool, and pipeline with Paperman, only to never use or iterate anything from it since 2012.

Really bums me out.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney developed an amazing cg artstyle, tool, and pipeline with Paperman, only to never use or iterate anything from it since 2012.

Really bums me out.

Tbf Disney/Pixar films review well, make billions and win oscars.

It's kind of a win-win-win formula for them.

I'd love a Paperman style film but they don't have a reason to stop doing what they are doing.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I maintain it's a sad how studios like Pixar and Disney have essentially unlimited money, resources and talent and yet they never really try to take a chance to do something truly visually different from the norm from an animation standpoint. They made movies that look reasonably different from each other to be sure, but all of them seem to share the same rendering pipeline and style. Their photorealistic-like lighting and shading seems to work out the same way in every movie. CGI has potential for being so much more. And it's borderline bizarre how movies like the Hotel Transylvania franchise has more respect and reverence for Disney's principles of animation than Disney themselves these days. Where my squash and stretch at.

Disney and Pixar do experiment occasionally but it tends to still be within the bounds of the universe of the film, if that makes sense? I think I recall the emotion/soul effects in Inside Out/Soul being incredibly difficult to pull off, they're just not as in your face as the cool shit Mitchells and Spider-Verse do with changing frames per second and making things look painted.

Moana too did some cool stuff with Maui's tattoos but, yeah, they don't seem to want to invest in something bigger.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The Mitchells vs. The Machines was... fine. Very much a movie built for an audience with short attention spans (i.e. kids). That said, it had a solid core narrative structure, kept the character motivations consistent, sadly wasn't nearly as funny as it thinks it is... but I still enjoyed it more than Raya and the Last Dragon. Families with young kids will especially get a lot out of it... the more dysfunctional, the better.

Probably a 7 or a 7.5 out of 10. Won't enter my "best of year" discussion... but it's worth watching.

It had a LOT in common with A Goofy Movie. Especially in its slower scenes. Almost blatant in taking inspiration from it... but hell, it's almost a 30-year-old film now so the current generation needs their own updated version of it.

Lastly, Olivia Colman was a delight.

Manifesting this.
It's difficult for any film to slay the Disney/Pixar dragon without the box office receipts to back it up. A well-received, streaming film... even one produced by Lord and Miller... still faces an uphill battle. But it's a solid bet for a nomination.

Two (and only two) out of the Disney/Pixar films are going to land a nomination. Raya and the Last Dragon will likely be left out of the equation thanks to its early release and lukewarm reception UNLESS Encanto runs into delays.

Flee is a veritable lock for a nomination so that leaves two slots to fill.

The Mitchells vs. The Machines could very well be one of those safe nominations but the reason I doubt its win equity is that Netflix is likely going to be throwing their weight behind their stop-motion entries from Guillermo del Toro (Pinocchio) and Jordan Peele/Henry Selick (Wendell and Wild)... or at least whichever one makes the nomination cut provided they don't disappoint upon release. Both Pinocchio and Wendell and Wild are also at risk of a delay as per comments made in January, but they remain on the docket for now.

Usually GKIDS is good for a locked-in nomination but its a crowded year so I'm not so sure whether something like Mamoru Hosoda's Belle can make the cut. We'll have to wait and see.

Just to clarify, Encanto is from Disney... not Pixar. It's the team behind Tangled and Zootopia. I have it as the front-runner to win so long as it doesn't face a delay and get pushed into 2022.

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
The family watched this together and I thought it was fucking awesome. My kids were just rolling in laughter

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
This was so good, definitely the best animated movie I've seen this year, and only a notch below Spider-verse. Surpassed all my expectations.

Oct 29, 2017
High budget animation continues to demonstrate that is where the best blocking and framing for action scenes in Hollywood is found.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the animation and that this looked like a continuation of the technique they used for Spider-verse.

I also thought it was cool that they mixed in clearly 2D objects and backgrounds in shots. Very cool style choice.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible film. It sucks that the entire plot is lifted nearly wholesale from Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2, but it uses it way way better here. The licensed music I feel will really date this movie and make it hard to view past the 2010s/2020s without it feeling 'old', also cutting out lines from the song cause Rihanna and T.I...just why have it at all. That's a general issue with most animated films though.

OTHER THAN THAT. I truly hope tons of children and tweens and teens watch this movie and get inspired. 9/10.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I hope Netflix promote this movie better, they aren't that great at maintaining IP. Maybe it's because my kid doesn't watch much on Netflix but it felt like their previous efforts like Glen Keane's Over the Moon came and went and disappeared pretty quickly.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
This was an absolute winner in my house. Kids enjoyed it a lot but I think I liked it even more than them.

A lot of the comedy was reminiscent of Gumball, so was perfect for my sense of humour

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good film. I would argue that it won't stand the test of time due to some of the pop-culture YouTube stuff, but I had a good time.

Also, I had to really dig for this and it seems like Netflix are burying it?

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Really enjoyed it and so kids did too. Pretty sure they'll make my wife watch it today.

I did a search for it (originally searching for "The Millers vs. The Machines") and even though it had a top ten label on it, I didn't see it on the front page.

I didn't like the characters as much as I'd hoped and the family aspect felt a bit by the numbers. But loved the humour and the animation and style was glorious. I'll make sure I'm in the room when it's put on again today!

Edit: and just because of that paragraph above, I'm gonna clarify that it's a 897/1000.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
My 9 year old daughter stumbled on this and watched it this morning. She loved it so much she had me and her mom watch it tonight and it was incredible! Why is Netflix not promoting this more?

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Mitchells vs The Machines was not as good as Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse but I still absolutely loved it. Sony Animations has really come such a long way.
Also, the gay confirmation at the end was such a nice touch since they were hinting the whole time

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
That was surprisingly okay. I could do without the overt schmaltz though and it feels a tad overlong. Big star is the animation, I love how it embraces its cartooneyness. The characters are endearing and the central sentiment is hard to fault. It's very much a contemporary film though and as someone who hates youtube and internet culture in general, there were a fair share of obnoxious moments (its insistence on meme humor in general). I almost had to switch it off after the first minutes, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This was so good. My daughter already wants to watch it again today. That screaming monkey and "loaf of bread" had us laughing hard. Really wasn't expecting it to be the best animated movie I've seen in years.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony knocks it out the park with their next animated film they are going to be one the premiere animation studios in the business.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I hope Netflix promote this movie better, they aren't that great at maintaining IP. Maybe it's because my kid doesn't watch much on Netflix but it felt like their previous efforts like Glen Keane's Over the Moon came and went and disappeared pretty quickly.

What sucks about Netflix like releases is that it's tough to gauge success.

With the box office it's clear but here you don't really know how successful Over the Moon and Klaus were, even though they reviewed well.

Would love to know if we are getting more from those studios.

Last edited:

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I was quite lukewarm on this film, but the animation was certainly fantastic and a breath of fresh air compared to recent Disney and Pixar films. Having said that, I thought it was a bit too long, and the reliance on licensed music in particular felt a bit grating after a while.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I really dug it!
Also sony's animation is honestly amazing. There art style to me is more impressive then pixar's work lately

Oct 27, 2017
The art style is impressive and unique. The movie is also great and hilarious

The mum's robots beat down scene is so good and hilarious

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Really loved it, the art style and animations are beautiful and the story was nice too.