• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Looking forward to this but without spoilers was wondering if this movie is basically being online and on your phone is bad? Like I get it if the parents are well meaning but I've had awful family in my life and being able to be away for a while online helps mentally.

Nah the message is more "technology is awesome but moderation is a good thing and tech companies don't have your interests at heart"

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Looking forward to this but without spoilers was wondering if this movie is basically being online and on your phone is bad? Like I get it if the parents are well meaning but I've had awful family in my life and being able to be away for a while online helps mentally.

The main conflict is with the daughter and father butting heads for their different ideologies, but the core theme in the movie is about a family trying to understand one-another and fix their relationship, quirks and all.

And the dad specifically isn't deathly allergic to technology or thinks in an out of touch "RAW, ALL TECHNOLOGY IS AWFUL!", but he wishes his family could have more moderation between screen time and physical interaction.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I literally lol'd multiple times, which I usually only do in movie theaters when you're swept up with the crowd.

Excellent, funny film. When the
Youtube monkey-joke
appeared I feared the movie would rely on stuff like this too much and I'd ultimately hate it for it, but it was both only sporadically used and ultimately payed off in a fun way.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Just watched and loved it.
First 20 minutes or so didn't convince me, but then suddenly it just clicked and it became a rollercoaster of a film. It's been a while since I laughed so hard.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
It's incredible. Just finished it with my nephew, heavy Spiderverse vibes and some amazing colors. Voice acting is on point too.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Prancer belongs to the canyon now!" had me dying. That was some surprising dark humor for a kids movie.

Oct 28, 2017
I just got done watching it with the kids and we all loved it. There were some genuine belly laughs from me and I got choked up at the end, not going to lie.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching this now and absolutely loving it so far. It's way better than what the trailers showed and it's genuinely hilarious.

Prancer in the canyon had me in stitches lol.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this last night. Fantastic film. Great animation, superb shots (especially the use of colors), and a damn funny film. I'm gonna grab it on UHD as soon as I can.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, and it's superb. It's a beautiful film, and it's actually crazy how funny it is. It's almost 2 hours of a constant barrage of jokes, and pretty much every single one lands. Most of them really land.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
love it

I'm sad we couldn't watch this in the theater but it can be seen now and that's all good

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. The first minutes I wasn't very convinced about the humor but it got better and better.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope this gets a hard release. We have the low end Netflix subscription and I gotta see this movie in 4K.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
This movie has a Goofy Movie "Perfect Cast" moment and I am here for it.

Also really great how the main character is openly queer.

Finally, the climax when they sing "Live Your Life"...couldn't help but smile. Just a jolly movie that gets better as it goes. I was actually kinda eh in the first 15 minutes, but it gets better and better. Maybe I just opened my mind more as it went, or maybe it really did get better.

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
That was pretty good. But why did they have to
go to Silicon Valley after the killcode upload at the mall failed? Couldn't they just go to another PAL store and try again?

I really hope someone got fired for that blunder.
hqdefault.jpg

Jul 4, 2019
I'll echo what everybody here says, this was pretty great. Along with Spiderverse, Sony Animation seems to be on a role and hopefully Tartakovsky's work is equally great. The animation/art direction, jokes, voice acting, and heart were fantastic.
The Furby scenes lol

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who won? Did the machines kill them?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed this. It sidestepped a lot of my concerns - basically being an obnoxiously in-your-face Social Media Movie with a sappy family melodrama component - and was really charming and beautifully animated.

+10 for Olivia Colman's performance.

she can't escape collaborations with Mitchells

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
Enjoyed this movie with the fam last night. Both the wife and I took issue with the Dad's complete disconnect with his daughter, but its important to the plot. Still a very fun movie and my kids enjoyed it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This was kinda great, wholesome fun and pretty cute, although sometimes it tries to be too cute. :P

The animation style and rendering is as fascinating as it appeared to look in the trailers. A flat out great looking, visually-inventive movie going at 100MPH at all times. Only grip I have is it seems they added a film grain filter at the last minute (it's not in any of the trailers), makes the movie look unnecessarily a tad grimy, and I think might be responsible for the colors not popping as much as they could. It's also only 1080p on Netflix for some inexplicable reason and I'm not sure it was graded for HDR at all. I assume Sony still has the rights to home video so maybe they will do this movie right eventually.

You know, Sony Pictures Animations puts some really great, creative stuff out there sometimes. More often than what some of their big-time competitors do if you ask me!

Selling the film to Netflix might have been shortsighted since it turned out great and it seems theaters are finally making come back but it was the safest decision back then I guess.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It was pretty amazing. It's one of those films where I look at the creativity on display and wonder why so few movies go that crazy. Like look at all the crazy stuff this and Spider-Verse did animation and art design-wise and compare it to almost any other movie.

The family drama works but I'm sick of films with that exact plot line/theme. Luckily the movie was so good I wasn't too bothered.

It reminded me a lot of Goofy Movie.

That was pretty good. But why did they have to
go to Silicon Valley after the killcode upload at the mall failed? Couldn't they just go to another PAL store and try again?

I really hope someone got fired for that blunder.
hqdefault.jpg

My head canon is
Pal was onto the May that point and just destroyed or blew up the WiFi at all the other stores.

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
I went to this movie with zero expectations.

But man... How does Sony Animation goes from Hotel Transylvania and freaking Emoji Movie to Spider-Verse and this!?

It was so much fun, I was laughing constantly, and visually it's almost as impressive as Spider-Verse. Just so incredibly creative.

Oh my god, it might seem dumb but I was over the moon with the revelation in the end that Katie likes girls.

I remember earlier in the film it seemed like she was interested in a new friend from college, but I just took it as being friendship at the time because I'm tired of having hope for LGBTQ+ representation in animated films. But in the ending you see a rainbow button on her shirt and I was like "huh...", and then seconds later it's straight up confirmed lol. Goddamn this is how you do it right, please take notes Disney, Pixar, DreamWorks and everyone else.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I went to this movie with zero expectations.

But man... How does Sony Animation goes from Hotel Transylvania and freaking Emoji Movie to Spider-Verse and this!?

It was so much fun, I was laughing constantly, and visually it's almost as impressive as Spider-Verse. Just so incredibly creative.

Oh my god, it might seem dumb but I was over the moon with the revelation in the end that Katie likes girls.

I remember earlier in the film it seemed like she was interested in a new friend from college, but I just took it as being friendship at the time because I'm tired of having hope for LGBTQ+ representation in animated films. But in the ending you see a rainbow button on her shirt and I was like "huh...", and then seconds later it's straight up confirmed lol. Goddamn this is how you do it right, please take notes Disney, Pixar, DreamWorks and everyone else.
It's all in the pedigree. Lord and Miller did the Lego movie and Spiderverse and this movie as well.

As far as the spoiler

It is nice they have an lgbtq+ character that gets to be an actual character instead of a character defined by their gayness. It is also nice it is alluded to at the start of the movie as well and the parents are both really supportive

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible looking film. Part of me wonders if the added film grain was inserted solely to obliterate color banding caused by Netflix bitrates.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Just watched it, good movie. They really nailed the emotional scenes.

Not all the jokes landed for me though, especially not the
mom turns into crazy skilled robot killer.

What a shame its only on Netflix though, this movie looks great but Netflixs streaming quality just dampens the whole thing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty amazing. It's one of those films where I look at the creativity on display and wonder why so few movies go that crazy. Like look at all the crazy stuff this and Spider-Verse did animation and art design-wise and compare it to almost any other movie.
I maintain it's a sad how studios like Pixar and Disney have essentially unlimited money, resources and talent and yet they never really try to take a chance to do something truly visually different from the norm from an animation standpoint. They made movies that look reasonably different from each other to be sure, but all of them seem to share the same rendering pipeline and style. Their photorealistic-like lighting and shading seems to work out the same way in every movie. CGI has potential for being so much more. And it's borderline bizarre how movies like the Hotel Transylvania franchise has more respect and reverence for Disney's principles of animation than Disney themselves these days. Where my squash and stretch at.