• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My partner and I watched this awhile back and... it's dumb as hell but it was fun. The final episode was really engaging with the SD Babes.

During the whole thing we were trying to figure what the filming structure looked like. We assumed that all of the interview bits, and all the bits with the host (including the winner announcement and rewards) were films before they actually competed. So they'd bring in all the teams for that segment, film the interviews, film them reacting to themselves winning or losing - being as generic as possible with their commentary, then film them interacting with the host - everyone being filmed getting told they won and getting the Lava Lamp. Then they all went in and competed and then the editors just put the show together.

We also were not convinced they actually were directly competing against each other and instead just filmed all of the different teams independently and just put the episodes together with clever editing.
The interview segments are definitely filmed at a different time than the actual course. You can tell because in one of the episodes a guy's facial hair is different.

But I'm sure you're right about the second part where they edit it to make it look like certain teams are competing against each other.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume they had a bunch of teams do the same course same day and did a random selections for the episodes. But im not sure how fair that would be if a episode 1 loser team could have won if placed in another episode. Or maybe they do it too make it look competitive since so many teams fail miserably.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watched one episode of this the other day and thought it was pretty solid as light entertainment. Definitely had that 90s Nickelodeon energy. The host seemed fine to me for what it was. This should be a show that appeals to kids and adults, and I think the host is right in line with that kind of vibe.

Seems like reusing the same courses over and over would get old. If they can spice it up with some new courses and gimmicks every so often I could see this being a lasting success. It would also be cool if they did some kind of big event with a massive lava arena with multiple teams competing simultaneously or something.

The thought also occurred to me that this concept seems kind of ripe to be scaled down and set up in cities around the world as a new kind of "escape room" or trampoline park kind of phenomenon. This post counts as a trademark of that idea, right? I'll get all the money if that happens, right?
Maybe. The big issue is that it's very easy to get hurt on these courses. Like... half the time, I'm worried someone is about to twist their ankle with how slippery everything seems to be.

Oct 27, 2017
I assume they had a bunch of teams do the same course same day and did a random selections for the episodes. But im not sure how fair that would be if a episode 1 loser team could have won if placed in another episode. Or maybe they do it too make it look competitive since so many teams fail miserably.
We were thinking about that too. It's not really fair because then it's not a real competition. I thought... maybe they film each set and all the competitors for that set at once and the producers and before hand the producers just randomly seed them into groups. So they are "competing" with each other - just indirectly. My evidence for this are the weird head-to-head episodes. They probably didn't have the correct amount of teams or a team got cut, so they put two teams against each other.

I don't know why I'm thinking about this as much as I am, it's just very weird because the teams are so divorced from each other and you can see the editing seams clear as day.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had some legit belly laughter from the show. I enjoyed it.

I hated how much I liked the Zach Levi lookin triplets.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do some episodes have 3 teams and others 2? Seems random.
I actually addressed that in my post above, lol. I think it's because they didn't film the show episode by episode. They just had all the contestants for each set filmed at once and then edited it to create episodes. I think you get the weird 1v1 situations because they didn't have enough or had to cut a team or two. So they just said "well this episode will be between these two teams and it'll be head to head"

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
They should have individual 1v1 simultaneous races as well.

And next season should be multi-part rooms with tunnels and shit.

And maybe some more complexity to the rules. These teams spend so much time faffing about before commiting.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd love to see a behind the scenes on this.

I'd kinda understand the over acting, the dancing around and gags between jumps (''look everyone its grandma!''), but there is $10k at stake, and not a single one of them takes it seriously.

I do wonder if they don't know about the prize money before hand or even if you lose you get a large sum.

Oct 26, 2017
Binged like 7 eps yesterday. It's like Ninja Warrior if it were on Nick in the 90's. Wacky and addictive dumbness. I love that Feep was on this! Any one else on Era ever been on a game show before?

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
10 minutes in and I can't stand this shit.
I like the concept but all that concept of introducing the characters, overacting and shit is annoying as fuck.
Have people go through the obstacle course and shut the hell up.

Oct 25, 2017
lzmxwnpbh7m7uvk62yio.jpg

Anyone know where this image is from?

It was the header of an AV Club article. I remember those guys, but I've never seen that room.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Are team members told to wait while others move? Thats the only thing that bothers me, people watching and waiting for other people to jump. Its timed! You could be halfway across another trail while your mom is going "ok Ima gonna jump soon.... "

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Are team members told to wait while others move? Thats the only thing that bothers me, people watching and waiting for other people to jump. Its timed! You could be halfway across another trail while your mom is going "ok Ima gonna jump soon.... "

Yes, this is my main problem with the show and it makes the entire thing feel overly scripted. Team members just standing around forever doing nothing for no real reason while another member moves.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I lasted 20 minutes with this show. The people are unbearable. Good concept though

Oct 25, 2017
We were thinking about that too. It's not really fair because then it's not a real competition. I thought... maybe they film each set and all the competitors for that set at once and the producers and before hand the producers just randomly seed them into groups. So they are "competing" with each other - just indirectly. My evidence for this are the weird head-to-head episodes. They probably didn't have the correct amount of teams or a team got cut, so they put two teams against each other.

I don't know why I'm thinking about this as much as I am, it's just very weird because the teams are so divorced from each other and you can see the editing seams clear as day.

The editing is especially pronounced as the winners are dry, clean and in the same clothing they competed in! They had time to do the laundry after their race!

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, is that Era's very own Feep in episode 6?
I was banned for a bit, but yes, I was on episode 6 on this show. ^^

lzmxwnpbh7m7uvk62yio.jpg

Anyone know where this image is from?

It was the header of an AV Club article. I remember those guys, but I've never seen that room.
This was from the original Round 1, which was entirely cut probably because it was a bit slower than Round 2. My version was slightly different from this image; I think I might still be bound by NDA to talk about specifics on it.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just started and the mom swinging the staff lazily for like 2 minutes at the obelisk was frustrating.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I watched the first episode last weekend and that's probably all I'll watch. I can't stand to watch anymore. For one, I've never liked Rutledge Wood. The show would be so much better with anyone else hosing. Secondly, I can't handle the obnoxious contestants. I don't know why these kinds of shows have to bring on the most annoying people they can find.

Oct 25, 2017
This was from the original Round 1, which was entirely cut probably because it was a bit slower than Round 2. My version was slightly different from this image; I think I might still be bound by NDA to talk about specifics on it.

Interesting. I think it works for the show. Keeps the pacing snappy.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This show is just beyond annoying. The commentator won't shut the fuck up with his stupid comments.
Heck I skipped through until I saw people actually doing the parcour and he was still talking all the time.

The players were also unlikeable. Have to say this is exactly how I imagine a shitty American reality game show.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching this with my girlfriend in the morning before work. We watch a run while we eat our breakfast together. It's not great but it can be entertaining.

Mostly makes me want a reboot of MXC

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly makes me want a reboot of MXC
I know Tekashi's Castle goofiness is too much to easily replicate but i'd accept any attempt at a reboot if they just had the original voice actors and writers.
I might even accept them dubbing over Wipeout and its international versions.

Hell there is a Thailand Tekashi's Castle, just give it the same treatment the original got.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I tried watching One episode of this and holy shit these triplets from Boston are some of the most annoying people I've ever seen. Like pure obnoxiousness.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why do some episodes have 3 teams and others 2? Seems random.
My episode had two teams, but three originally competed.

I suspect one team was cut because it just wasn't an entertaining run.

It certainly looks easy but it might be one of those things where it is harder than it looks.
The "lava" was exceptionally slippery and covered all surfaces. Some would even be sprayed onto the surfaces from time to time. That alone made it much harder than it would otherwise seem.