• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
as a Top Laywer i have to state on record that that
floor is not lava : )

judge-perd.png

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
wife and I happened across this last night. it's dumb fun, that feels like it just needs to change things up a little bit (host, the sets being basically the same) and it would be great dumb fun, especially when the contestants are into the lava aspect

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
This would have traumatized me as a kid. There used to be a game show where if you lost they dropped the floor and the contestant got sent to God knows where. As a kid I was convinced they were sent to their death

Russian Roulette! My favorite game show when I was 8, and I want them to bring it back. The Ellen Show's Know or Go is the same thing, but Ellen is a big meanie. ಠ︵ಠ

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Been watching it with my wife. It's fun, but as was said they try too hard to be funny and when someone "dies" in the lava it's overly dramatic with the screams, zooming into people's faces, the other members of the team screaming movie death style etc.

The title, the thumbnails and everything screams like YouTube show, this just adds to it.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Watched one episode of this the other day and thought it was pretty solid as light entertainment. Definitely had that 90s Nickelodeon energy. The host seemed fine to me for what it was. This should be a show that appeals to kids and adults, and I think the host is right in line with that kind of vibe.

Seems like reusing the same courses over and over would get old. If they can spice it up with some new courses and gimmicks every so often I could see this being a lasting success. It would also be cool if they did some kind of big event with a massive lava arena with multiple teams competing simultaneously or something.

The thought also occurred to me that this concept seems kind of ripe to be scaled down and set up in cities around the world as a new kind of "escape room" or trampoline park kind of phenomenon. This post counts as a trademark of that idea, right? I'll get all the money if that happens, right?

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
It looks like a Nikelodeon game-show from the early 2000's... and I like that! The only thing that doesn't stick at all, besides having prizes for every episode, is the "award ceremony": Meeting the host (dressed like he's an accountant) in a random living room (why?), and getting the 10K (and a lava lamp?) in the most unceremoniously and akward way you could image. But why? Embrace being a game-show! Have an audience! Have a lore for the whole thing!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The idea behind the show is so dumb it's great and how the course it's set up with the different useful items, transforming set pieces and the like is really cool. However the host sucks, the contestants try way too hard to sell it and the format with the forgettable "backstories" does nothing for me. Just focus on the hilarious wipe outs and the clever physicality of the whole thing. In general I really dislike modern game shows attempt to add some kind of needless gravitas or heart string pulling storylines.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
If you enjoy this kind of show, you might enjoy Taskmaster which has comedians competing in lateral thinking challenges. It's consistently funnier because it's all television personalities and the first 5 and a half seasons are on YouTube with more coming to CW in August.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I started watched, the woman is screaming like her kids are in danger for real lol

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how they never seem to show the people coming up for air after falling in the lava. That's some good editing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
You know the Triplets use the term "Snowflake" unironically

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
The 'they don't know about the staff! They have to figure out how to activate the crane!' Stuff is fucking bullshit.

Every constestant in the first episode is like oh shit a staff this might be useful, we can push down that Obelisk! There's a hole here I'm going to put the staff in it might do something!

Fake as fuck trash why am I now on epsiode 4 though? Send help.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
The 'they don't know about the staff! They have to figure out how to activate the crane!' Stuff is fucking bullshit.

Every constestant in the first episode is like oh shit a staff this might be useful, we can push down that Obelisk! There's a hole here I'm going to put the staff in it might do something!

they probably tell people to keep their eye out for secrets and then they see things hanging suspiciously on the wall

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

I wonder if they do that because of the game show fairness laws or if they're just afraid that the episode would be too uninteresting if they didn't tell them about the possible tools they can use. Probably both.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was cool. The contestants were pretty funny imo. They only problem is the pacing of the show. The stages are so small you only have 15min of actual stage content and have to pad 15min of fluff to fill the gap. And as episodes went on the game rules were inconsistent. Some episodes i think there only 2 teams instead of 3 and i think there was an episode where it was 2 members instead of 3. Just really random. Sometimes they didn't even show the winners claiming the prize. Maybe shit popped up during those episodes, idk, but either i was entertained for the most part. What's funny is most these stages can be cleared probably be cleared under 3min but everyone is so impatient and some people for whatever reason stay at the entry point doing jack shit letting clock build.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This show is so fucking dumb, I kinda like it.

I hope they double down on the absurdity of the gimmick. Put a ghost filter on the contestants who fell in the lava, make plastic skeletons float up where the contestants used to be, put dumb smoke VFX in whenever somebody grazes the lava, etc.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The idea behind the show is so dumb it's great and how the course it's set up with the different useful items, transforming set pieces and the like is really cool. However the host sucks, the contestants try way too hard to sell it and the format with the forgettable "backstories" does nothing for me. Just focus on the hilarious wipe outs and the clever physicality of the whole thing. In general I really dislike modern game shows attempt to add some kind of needless gravitas or heart string pulling storylines.

The host is horrible. I cannot watch it because he annoys me too much.
If I want contestants with heartfilled stories and having to work hard Ill just switch to The Rock's Titan Games.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
they probably tell people to keep their eye out for secrets and then they see things hanging suspiciously on the wall
Yea thats cool but what about the random hole?? Am I just too dense to think wheyhey a hole I'll jam this in!

Obelisk too. Everyone was like o shit we can push when they found the staff, but everyone was beelining for the pyramid immediately for no reason before they 'found' the staff later. Most of the first episode they were already on the pyramid before realising why apparently.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think someone could make a lot of money opening up a chain of obstacle courses like this.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
It's a bit tedious with the same course 3 times. And some of the contestants are just simply annoying.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else think that the premise of this show feels like something straight out of BoJack? Also the announcer's voice and energy really reminds me of Mr. Peanutbutter

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The boyfriend and I put on one episode for shits and giggles and ended up binging the whole thing. What a ridiculous concept - it's fun!

edit - hopefully they expand the courses for season 2 to spice things up

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I found this to be fairly entertaining background tv. Reminds me of many of the physical challenge shows I used to watch as a kid. The host's patter is shite but not too intrusive.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like something my son would love watching. May check it out this evening.

Oct 27, 2017
My partner and I watched this awhile back and... it's dumb as hell but it was fun. The final episode was really engaging with the SD Babes.

During the whole thing we were trying to figure what the filming structure looked like. We assumed that all of the interview bits, and all the bits with the host (including the winner announcement and rewards) were films before they actually competed. So they'd bring in all the teams for that segment, film the interviews, film them reacting to themselves winning or losing - being as generic as possible with their commentary, then film them interacting with the host - everyone being filmed getting told they won and getting the Lava Lamp. Then they all went in and competed and then the editors just put the show together.

We also were not convinced they actually were directly competing against each other and instead just filmed all of the different teams independently and just put the episodes together with clever editing.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't be the only who noticed the team with the daughter named Talia, that either the daughter or mother were Batman fans since her nickname was "Talia Ghul".