• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
E2UkABjVcAELfFG

ew.com

Netflix's 'Sandman' series casts major characters — see who's playing Death, Matthew, and more

See who's playing Death, Desire, Matthew the Raven, and more iconic characters in the upcoming TV adaptation.

The previous casting if you missed it -

Es0KsddUUAEPuqq

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is actually happening. I'm not familiar with a lot of these actors, but I very much am looking forward to this project.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Casting has been universally pretty great for this, but I still have zero faith it will work (or, frankly, even come out). Will believe it when I see it I guess!

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Despair's actor looks like she's actually in despair.

Casting has been universally pretty great for this, but I still have zero faith it will work (or, frankly, even come out). Will believe it when I see it I guess!

Yeah well they said the same thing about Watchmen and uh.... they were right nm.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty great cast so far. I hope they shoot for fidelity to the source material with the styling and tone of the characters.

I mean in contrast to the likes of Lucifer.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joely Richardson, huh. Thread about Nip/tuck the other day and was thinking about how it felt like the entire cast of that dropped off the face of the earth (though it looks like a couple of them are just doing a lot of CBS procedurals)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that Wonder Woman's daughter is going to be the main cast of a tv show

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
have they announced any characters that did not originate in the sandman series?

edit: totally forgot that fury from infinity inc was called lyta hall, so yeh they are including further dcu characters.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They gender-swapped John Constantine?

Not against the idea, but Jenna Coleman maybe seems a tad... young-ish for the role. Though I guess that's me thinking too much about the "burned out drunkard" comic version of the character perhaps.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

Not against the idea, but Jenna Coleman maybe seems a tad... young-ish for the role. Though I guess that's me thinking too much about the "burned out drunkard" comic version of the character perhaps.

Johanna's an ancestor of John. She doesn't appear in the first arc of the comics (unlike her famous descendant) so I wonder if the series is gonna expand her role or if they're gonna bring (vague Sandman spoilers) Hob Gadling and Orpheus earlier into the narrative.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Different character, related to him though.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Johanna's an ancestor of John. She doesn't appear in the first arc of the comics (unlike her famous descendant) so I wonder if the series is gonna expand her role or if they're gonna bring (vague Sandman spoilers) Hob Gadling and Orpheus

Oh... she was a character from the comic? Been so long since I read it I must have forgotten.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Johanna and John are different characters in different time periods.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish there was more diversity in casting. Death in the comics kind of looked Asian so I'm a bit disappointed in that. Would have liked to see some Middle Eastern representation

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is shaping up extremely well on the cast front. Hope the show itself delivers.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I wonder if DC was like "you can't use John Constantine" since they have like 3 projects with him already...

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
The casting is great. Good to have more diversity in the cast, Rose and Unity seems excellent choices. Not sure about Death but she seems a great actress.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Man, I haven't seen Sanjeev Bhaskar in anything since Goodness Gracious Me. That's probably entirely on me, but still. Cool to see his face again.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
While Death is drawn as a super pale ultra goth girl, Death can look however it wants and I believe the comic mentions that different people actually view the entity in their own way anyways.

All the Endless are archetypes, concepts and everyone views them in their own way. It would be cool to have different actors/actress for them through the episodes (like when Martian Manhunter saw Morpheus as a Martian deity) but I guess it would be confusing to the audience. Let's see who they will cast as Destiny. Death could have been an Asian actress, but their choice looks good too (not too familiar with her previous works).

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure how to take this, while the casting is spot on, what characters they are announcing is all jumbled up timeline wise.

And where is Delirium (who used to be delight)?

On another note, while I really used to like Matthew the Raven quite a bit, not anymore, after reading Moore's Swamp Thing fuck Matthew Cable, doesn't even deserve redemption piece of utter shit.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Whats with the pronouns in the casting pics? Has that always been there or does it have something to do with Sandman?

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't read Sandman. Is the 77 issue run all I have to check out?

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't read Sandman. Is the 77 issue run all I have to check out?

For the most part yeah, and what a run it is. Spin offs like Lucifer and The Dreaming are well worth but sense in themselves.

Perfect casting on Gilbert, Joanna, and Dr Dee. The others are a bit under my radar but I'm looking forward to their performances.