• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
For me it was this. First movie was BAD almost to the point I didn't want to watch the others.

But since I am a sucker for Camp Slasher movies I watched the second and I adored it.

For the 3rd I hated all the Pilgrim stuff but really enjoyed the resolution to the 90s plot.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
just finished watching the third film. my biggest criticism is that i was completely lost and i place the blame solely on the editing team. i had no idea what decade that the story was taking place in without any pop music cueing with every scene transition. was it the 1940s? the 1810s? it was impossible to tell and it took me out of the movie.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Overall, I found the movies to be fun, warts and all, but 1666 is the definition of squandered potential. What should've been two parts Hagazussa and one part The Witch ended up being a mishmash of the preceding entries with a sprinkle of period piece on top.

I was really hoping for a story that largely ditched run-of-the-mill horror for a focus on the human factor of what made the social and religious constructs of the 17th century so horrific for women who dared to eschew those norms in favour of their own autonomy.

Swing and a miss.

Last edited:

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
My roommate and I watched the first two movies last weekend and the third one last night, and overall I enjoyed them. But then I didn't expect a lot from them. I thought they were decent fun, though.

What I was kind of curious about was
the "evidence" the TV announcer indicated that was found that indicated Nick Goode was the serial killer. Of course it had to have this happy ending, but honestly, the only evidence I recall at the mall was the Sheriff being killed and the murder weapon with Deena's fingerprints all over it. And it made it even worse that the group was reported found at the mall from the cops earlier, but now they all those cops were dead, as well.

So I would be curious to see what this evidence was to link Nick Goode to the murders. I don't think those coming in to investigate would believe anything about a 300 year old ritual started by Samuel Goode.

Oct 29, 2017
My roommate and I watched the first two movies last weekend and the third one last night, and overall I enjoyed them. But then I didn't expect a lot from them. I thought they were decent fun, though.

the "evidence" the TV announcer indicated that was found that indicated Nick Goode was the serial killer. Of course it had to have this happy ending, but honestly, the only evidence I recall at the mall was the Sheriff being killed and the murder weapon with Deena's fingerprints all over it. And it made it even worse that the group was reported found at the mall from the cops earlier, but now they all those cops were dead, as well.

So I would be curious to see what this evidence was to link Nick Goode to the murders. I don't think those coming in to investigate would believe anything about a 300 year old ritual started by Samuel Goode.
There was none lol they just needed the happy ending

Mar 29, 2018
First one turned out to be the weakest with second being great and final one awesome!
Exact opposite IMO. Part Three was flawed and turgid, Part Two was OK with a few great bits, Part One was really good and had a consistent high vibe, even though it was very YA Fiction-ey.
Im twenty minutes into 1666 and fuck the accents are all over the place it's baaaad
The leading lady's accent was unbelievably wack

The trilogy was solid but there is one huge whole I think they forgot to address....
so we find out the twist that the goode family is evil but aren't we forgetting someone? The brother, the mayor who I presume is still alive. Wouldn't he be a parr of the whole process too!
He's not really forgotten IIRC - he's shown on the TV near the end, being at the centre of some kind of scandal or things spiralling badly? Just like for the rest of Sunnyvale, things start going wrong for him

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I imagine he only got hit for some of the murders. Maybe the two police in the mall and the hospital/pharmacy ones. They might have also managed to link him to the camp murders. We don't know what kind of mementos he saved, he needed to do some kind of research to get names, and the main cast is witnesses (and can explain it in a not-curse way).

Oct 30, 2017
i say this as a horror movie fan that watches pretty much everything: I enjoyed these, but they're also not great. They're fun, but they feel cheap and forgettable. I think it's the unlikable characters (main character for sure), and the lack of suspense/atmosphere overall. Everyone always seems to be arguing with each other, every conversation is yelling.
They feel to me like I'm listening to a kid who drank a couple red bulls describing a pitch for a slasher film rather than watching a good horror film. A lot happens, but I can't remember much of it, and it's hard to know what is important, and it's loud and obnoxious.

EDIT: I know it's just some random site from the internet, but I honestly don't get the extremely positive reception for these. They're...fine, I guess? But honestly trying to suggest it's anywhere close to Scream in quality is insane: https://screenrant.com/fear-street-vs-scream-better-slasher-film/ Scream is so much better it's not even funny. Wes Craven is a master (with a bunch of duds, yes, but many masterpieces of horror).

Last edited:

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Final part was a hot mess. Tonally all over the place and the pilgrim part was just window dressing without exploring anything meaningful. And I know malls were huge in the 80s, but it's like they were trying too hard to riff on Stranger Things. They really crammed the needle drops in at the end there too.

Part 2 was probably my fave due to the summer camp setting and the twist on the final girl trope. Killing Ziggy and then bringing her back to life was interesting at least. Part 1 was decent too. Part 3 seems to be getting decent critical praise though so maybe I'm out of step.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Somehow im not surprise if Deena become a villain in sequel.

she hate sunnyvale and will do anything to keep sam/SPOILER]

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
part 1 was alright. Ending is weird like
getting stabbed in the gut and shes just insta dead (this has always been a weird thing horror does) but no its a fakeout and she beats up Sam and ties her up?
Just really strange sequence of events. Maybe I missed something im kinda tired.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
part 1 was alright. Ending is weird like
getting stabbed in the gut and shes just insta dead (this has always been a weird thing horror does) but no its a fakeout and she beats up Sam and ties her up?
Just really strange sequence of events. Maybe I missed something im kinda tired.
Yeah this series shrugs off what should be pretty debilitating if not fatal wounds pretty frequently. It's kinda grating.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Watched the first two and pretty underwhelmed so far. They're well made and well acted but just feel pretty...shallow? Some of the teen melodrama is really lousy and I don't think it really works as an homage or a reinvention - too slick and sanitised to replicate the meanness of classic slasher flicks but also doesn't really subvert the tropes in any meaningful or clever ways. Also some really jarring tonal shifts that don't work at all.

*That* kill in the first film was great though.

Was surprised they made something a twist in Part 2 which I thought was obvious from the first scene lol.

i say this as a horror movie fan that watches pretty much everything: I enjoyed these, but they're also not great. They're fun, but they feel cheap and forgettable. I think it's the unlikable characters (main character for sure), and the lack of suspense/atmosphere overall. Everyone always seems to be arguing with each other, every conversation is yelling.
They feel to me like I'm listening to a kid who drank a couple red bulls describing a pitch for a slasher film rather than watching a good horror film. A lot happens, but I can't remember much of it, and it's hard to know what is important, and it's loud and obnoxious.

EDIT: I know it's just some random site from the internet, but I honestly don't get the extremely positive reception for these. They're...fine, I guess? But honestly trying to suggest it's anywhere close to Scream in quality is insane: https://screenrant.com/fear-street-vs-scream-better-slasher-film/ Scream is so much better it's not even funny. Wes Craven is a master (with a bunch of duds, yes, but many masterpieces of horror).

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm finding the overwhelmingly positive response really surprising. They're watchable horror movies but comparisons to the classics? Not a chance.

keenerz

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
after watching the all 3 movies over the weekend. The first two are definitely stronger than the last one. But overall a decent fun short set of movies.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
Gotta say I quite enjoyed these 3 films. Went in not expecting much but I was hooked because of the its lore and world building. It was intriguing, although the general plot and actions of the characters were standard horror dilm tropes.

The first and second movies I watched on back to back nights. The last I just caught the other night. I think as a marathon or binge it works but as individual releases they're pretty generic. Again I went in expecting a YA film due to the main cast and was surprised. I take it as bubble gum horror as these were meant for a teenage audience.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
the part that really got me in part 3 was when

they drove down 'fier st'. despite building it for around five hours at that point, i never expected it and it was actually pretty awesome.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I'd rate them best to worst 2, 3, 1.

Three just narrowly beat out one but almost didn't cause I hate Puritan era stuff so almost took me out of it. But they really nailed the ending.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I thought 1 and 2 were great.

Part 3 was okay. It wasn't bad by any means but I did like it. I wish the 1666 part was longer than it was though. but i get they had to resolve it in the 90s.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'm down for more without Deena. Girl really had no development at all. If they bring Deena and Sam back, then need to show that Deena isn't a self-centered prick who's capable of caring about people who aren't her girlfriend. She also needs to show that she's changed as a girlfriend. Her gaslighting Sam at the beginning of 94 was gross.
how dare a teenager in grunge era be jaded and also live in a shitty town made shitty on purpose by a higher power

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm down for more without Deena. Girl really had no development at all. If they bring Deena and Sam back, then need to show that Deena isn't a self-centered prick who's capable of caring about people who aren't her girlfriend. She also needs to show that she's changed as a girlfriend. Her gaslighting Sam at the beginning of 94 was gross.

She literally ends the series drawing off monsters off a lady she met like 4 hours ago.

Feel like some of you just get an initial impression and double down no matter what.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Bro I spent the whole of the 2nd movie assuming/knowing that Ziggy was C.Berman that I was completely gobsmacked when they tried to play it off as a twist at the end. It was like I got hit with an anti-twist.

I had forgotten the "C" part of her name and they both had red hair and Ziggy was portrayed as more of the "main character" so I just naturally viewed them as the same. Now I wonder how I would have enjoyed the movie if the twist worked on me. It's my least favorite of the 3, enjoyed the last one the most.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Damn that was much better than I expected. 1994 was okay but fun but the Part 2 and 3 were legit great movies.

I'm interested to see where they go next, we're obviously getting at least a Part 4.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the last movie and I have to say I really enjoyed this trilogy. 1666 was great and was probably my favorite In the trilogy. They ended it on a strong note.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Holy shit, I loved all the callbacks in 1666. Helped make it feel a lot more connected to the previous movies.

• Ziggy locking up her sisters killer
  • The cheeseburger date
  • Goode framing Martin for the graffiti
  • Deena using the books from Part 1 as a shield
  • Josh meeting his online chat buddy at school
  • Ziggy visiting the old camp nurse

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished watching all 3.

After the first one, I thought I wouldn't like Part 2 but I loved it.

After Part 2, I thought I wouldn't like Part 3 and we'll, I didn't. But I still enjoyed the trilogy as a whole!

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017

This is exactly how I felt, I absolutely hate this style of character writing where everything is just conflict and nobody is charming and none of the relationships are endearing.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
1 and 2 are the greatest slasher duology since Scream 1 and 2

Part 3 isn't a slasher but is one of the most efficient and effective genuine conclusions to a slasher series yet.

Just an absolutely brilliant set of films

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I loved the first 2 parts but part three was not doing it for me at all. I thought I must be almost through it, but I checked the time and it still had an hour left, I just turned it off.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just finished the third film. Absolutely baffled by how well received these films are. I thought they hovered around watchable/fine and never really exceeded that. Clearly a lot of talented people worked on them but dull, tropey writing and some insane tonal clashes between its YA elements and edgier R-rated horror aspirations.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I will spoiler this just in case,its about the last section of the final movie and I am not sure of the open spoiler rule,minor but yeah anyway...

I thought the Konami code popping up out of nowhere was hilarious

Overall I really enjoyed it and that format of 3 movies with a common theme shown quickly was fun,they should do this more often...hoping for more Fear Street.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
1 and 2 are the greatest slasher duology since Scream 1 and 2

Part 3 isn't a slasher but is one of the most efficient and effective genuine conclusions to a slasher series yet.

Just an absolutely brilliant set of films
This is like saying Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are the the best Star Wars films since Return of the Jedi.
Scream 1 and 2 are infinitely better than Fear Street 1 and 2, however. Everything about them is better in every way than these films. Wrong Turn 1 and 2? Final Destination 1 and 2? Saw 1 and 2 are much better than these if you consider them slashers.
Since Scream, if we're counting all slashers, Halloween 2018 is far, far better than any of these films. I'm probably not going to have many people agree with me, but I think Rob Zombie's Halloween 1 and 2 are also better than these.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Scream 1 and 2 are infinitely better than Fear Street 1 and 2, however. Everything about them is better in every way than these films. Wrong Turn 1 and 2? Final Destination 1 and 2? Saw 1 and 2 are much better than these if you consider them slashers.
Since Scream, if we're counting all slashers, Halloween 2018 is far, far better than any of these films. I'm probably not going to have many people agree with me, but I think Rob Zombie's Halloween 1 and 2 are also better than these.

I don't know if I'd rank all of those above them, but I do agree with the general idea that the Fear Street movies weren't particularly great. I also think they don't work well on the level of a horror. They kind of work on the level of teen/ya adventure that has horror trappings which is what I expected based on the Fear Street branding. They get more gruesome than I expected but not significantly so. Even as period pieces they don't feel very authentic.

They're ok. I'd say they were a cut above a TV series like Creep Show in quality, but that's faint praise.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the series. I thought watching the first one that this was going to be toung in cheek campy horror like Ash vs Evil Dead but the darkness in the second one was surprising.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if I'd rank all of those above them, but I do agree with the general idea that the Fear Street movies weren't particularly great. I also think they don't work well on the level of a horror. They kind of work on the level of teen/ya adventure that has horror trappings which is what I expected based on the Fear Street branding. They get more gruesome than I expected but not significantly so. Even as period pieces they don't feel very authentic.

They're ok. I'd say they were a cut above a TV series like Creep Show in quality, but that's faint praise.
I'd agree with you that these don't really work on the level of horror. Also, yeah the period settings don't feel authentic at all. It's weird, because you could just, you know, watch Scream and other 90s films and just kind of look at how they looked. It just feels kind of lazy.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is like saying Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are the the best Star Wars films since Return of the Jedi.

Final Destination is slasher adjacent

These are better than Wrong Turn and RZ's Halloween

And they are more aggressive than Halloween 2018

Oct 30, 2017
Final Destination is slasher adjacent

These are better than Wrong Turn and RZ's Halloween

And they are more aggressive than Halloween 2018
Not sure what aggressive means in terms of a film, but if it is or isn't more aggressive, Halloween 2018 is a much better film in all ways, as it capably crafts mood, atmosphere, has moments where characters aren't just yelling at each other, and has actual pacing and suspense. The motion sensor light scene alone up to the girl seeing the kill, realising it's all real, and the incredible soundtrack is far better than any scene in all three of these films.

I enjoyed these films to a degree, and I'm happy to watch horror until the cows come home, but they're not even on the level of a really good direct to vhs or dvd film by Full Moon.

Last edited:

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
These were very fun and solid movies for the genre. People are trying to twist it for whatever reason lol

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Lol some of y'all really took the comparisons to other slasher movies to heart. Opinions and all, but this is definitely in the average to above average territory for horror movies. No, it's not better than Scream and Scream 2 but I'd rather watch these than a lot of post 90s slashers

Deena also had some character development, if subtle. Sam's the one who didn't really get a chance to grow given the circumstances

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Eh I'm out. I tried watching 1666 but it was even worse than the other two. What a wasted opportunity these films were.