• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I just finished the Joel McHale show so I'll check this out now. if this ain't the best thing since the Joel McHale show staring Joel McHale I will tsk at you Brazil.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on a good Castlevania cycle right now. C Season 1 and 2 -> C Requiem (platinum/100%) -> rewatching C Season 1 and 2 lol

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Best animated show I think I've ever watched. Utterly fantastic stuff, and now I kind of want to see Megaman X get the same treatment.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edgelord trash, makes a mockery of the source material. Boring, trite, ridiculous. I will never understand the adulation this series receives.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on board. As a CV fan it's hard for me to rate how genuinely good I think the show is as I ate up every bit of fan service. As for character development and dialogue I thought the show did a great job on both fronts. I look forward to them fleshing out the characters more but I found myself invested enough that I really wanted to see where things went for them (again, already having a history with most of them probably helped). Based on many comments in this thread it seems like many monocles were dropped while watching this show because of the dialogue so I guess me liking that aspect of the show makes me some uncouth degenrate. lol. Seriously though it actually bums me out how divisive the dialogue apparently was for many people as I liked it a lot and it's a shame it didn't work for them.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Eh it drags, too much dialogue and the animation is really inconsistent. Its better than it should be though.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't understand how people could be bored by the show. I hung on every word. Warren Ellis was the perfect fit for this.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree more or less. Its about as good as I could have ever hoped. Man did I ever spend too much time playing Castlevania II. Everything in the netflix series feels right.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm just astounded how no nonsense the show is. geared for adults but no ridiculous edgelord stuff, traditional 2D animation, writing that doesn't insult your intelligence, nods to the game that fit in seamlessly. honestly never thought such a thing could be possible

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
for a show on castlevania it's alright but it's not great. I thought last season was better. This season Dracula was to much of a cuck and the animation during some parts looked like they forgot to fill in between key frames.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put this on the other day just as some background noise and next thing I know I'm on the couch binge watching it. It's really freaking good.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it a lot, but it definitely had some major pacing issues.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Saw both seasons recently and loved them. Been recommending it to all my friends since then.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
It was ok. I would give it a solid 7.

The second half really went downhill for me. I was very excited on the 1st season, but the 2nd could've been so much better. The VO could've been so much better.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Best animated show I think I've ever watched. Utterly fantastic stuff, and now I kind of want to see Megaman X get the same treatment.

Fuck. I didn't even consider the possibility of this. Just imagining it and how they could expand the lore and world building... hnnnnng. I'm going to be thinking about this now and it's all your fault!

On topic, I loved both seasons. The pacing on season 2 didn't bother me because the characters were so interesting that I was content to watch the vampire politics play out. Especially Hector and Isaac. They were so well written.

I used to not think much of whips as weapons until the fight scenes in this. The way Trevor manipulated how it moved was insane, not to mention just plain awesome.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Totally concur 100%. It's the best vg adaptation ever, easily. If you're a fan of the classic series you can feel how huge of fans the guys behind the show are. It went above and beyond with the handling of the lore, actually improving the canon in some parts with how they handled Trevor and made him different from Simon in a way that makes him as important as it was always implied he was being the first Belmont to tackle Drac in the way that would be repeated for centuries.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are we watching the same show? Castlevania s2 AKA "let's keep the heros of the show stuck in the basement for nearly the entire season while we bore you with vampire politics."

I've noticed this being a trend in Ellis's stuff but I don't fault him for it. He builds up and develops every major character until the point you love, hate, adore, despise them then throw them in a blender of a situation together. Some people find character development boring I guess but the climax of the season wouldn't have been nearly as awesome without it.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Not going to talk about plot and characters, but art and animation could be a lot better.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was awesome. There've been a few things i would've liked to be handled differently, but overall it's been one of, if not the best adaption of a videogame series for me.

And Sypha is a god-damned treasure. The whole season 2 could've been only Sypha and it would've been great.

About the things that should've (imo) been handled differently:

SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE SERIES

- The vampire generals, outside of Godbrand and Carmilla were basically nothing but unique looking fodder, they should've been way more included in the story and fleshed out more. Maybe a little less focus on Hector / Isaac then.
- I know Godbrand's death was to show how powerful/loyal Isaac really is ... but man, he was done dirty. Sypha taking out this sexist arse would've been much more enjoyable to see, for example.
- The Dracula fight was mainly just Alucard. It's nearly always been a Belmont to finish Dracula off, and given that they still have to adapt the Symphony of the Night storyline, i thought that Tevor should've been doing the main fight against Drac ... or at least finish him off with the Vampire Killer.

Still, freaking awesome series.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never played the games, but even I got hyped during episode 7.

All and all, both seasons are good, though I couldn't imagine how bad the wait between S1 and S2 was.

Mariage Sorcière

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It was great but I feel like
killing off Dracula was a bad move if they were going to continue the series given the nature of his characterization.

Bringing him back for S3 would just feel cheap but I also don't think Carmilla can carry an entire season as the primary antagonist.

Honestly I would rather see them just jump all the way to the 21st century and adapt Aria of Sorrow. Keep the same VAs, design, and general characterization for the main trio but just apply them to Julius, Yoko, and Arikado.

Last edited:
I think calling it a masterpiece is a bit much, but Season 2 did sell it to me. It was enjoyable and had some really great fights. Nearly dropped it in Season 1, though. Netflix is really enticing me back in lately with their animated shows. Watching Sirius the Jaegar now (vampire hunters).

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
It was certainly an impressive and memorable adaption, though weirdly clunky at times at tonally. I'm a Warren Ellis fan (like, The Authority alone, man), but did we need two minutes+ worth of a dragged out goat fucking gag? It wasn't even that funny to begin with! I thought the show had a strong emotional core, though, and everything to do with Dracula, Alucard, and Lisa was beautifully done and tragic. (The last scene, arghhhh.) Sypha was also charming and snarky in equal measure, which was a great surprise. Ditto to Camilla. Even though I found Trevor a bit flat in comparison to Alucard and Sypha, the trio had great chemistry. I absolutely loved the character designs for everyone, too.

I did feel the stunt casting was a bit hit and miss at times. I'm a huge fan of Richard Armitage, but I don't feel his on-screen talent translated particularly well to voice acting. He mumbled a lot, weirdly dragged out a lot of lines, and didn't always feel like he was in the same place emotionally as the other characters in the scene - which in turn frequently threw me out of otherwise powerful scenes. On the other hand, Graham McTavish's Dracula was an absolute astonishing revelation, and gave beautiful, nuanced performance from beginning to end. Adetokumboh M'Cormack's Issac and Theo James' Hector were also great.

There are fantastic moments, but there are a bunch of episodes that were basically, "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory!?"

Yeah, the pacing was super odd at times, particularly in S2 when Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard were in the Belmont vault. It's fine that they became the secondary story line for a few episodes, but their subplot didn't really have a clean beginning, middle, and end in some episodes. It was just suddenly - aaaaaaaand we're back to the basement! Annnd we're gone again without resolving anything! It was really odd.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
It's an 8 or a 9.

Really, really good.

They really needed a piece of meat hidden in a busted wall for it to get the full 10 for me

iigbyxenhpr3tunp974v.png
You and me too

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm a huge Castlevania fan and I hated the show. It's not like Trevor had much personality beforehand but his characterization in the show didn't work for me at all. I didn't watch the second season but I doubt it would change my mind.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, this show is amazing. That Alucard vs Dracula fight towards the end was epic.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
It was great, the action scenes in particular are so kinetic. I hope the rumored Zelda adaptation carries that element forward.

I'll echo some other people saying the second season got bogged down with the library and vampie politics stuff. I was initially excited to see that it was longer than the first season, but by the end I wished it had been half as long.

I really want future seasons to explore other Castlevania games like SOTN and Aria of Sorrow, but I fear the series may not end up making it that long. It seems like it's been a hit, but Netflix can be unpredictable.

Small spoilery thing:

Was Isaac gay? Or was the "I love you" more of a father son thing? I guess it's ambiguous.

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You guys sold me on this when season 1 went up. I couldn't make it through the first episode.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Season 2 isn't that good, for some reason that they decided to make the series a terrible knock off of Game of Thrones with all that stupid politics that actually lead to nowhere, and the main trio being trapped in the Belmont's library for an eternity.

The final episodes were cool though, I want more of that

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. I didn't even consider the possibility of this. Just imagining it and how they could expand the lore and world building... hnnnnng. I'm going to be thinking about this now and it's all your fault!

On topic, I loved both seasons. The pacing on season 2 didn't bother me because the characters were so interesting that I was content to watch the vampire politics play out. Especially Hector and Isaac. They were so well written.

I used to not think much of whips as weapons until the fight scenes in this. The way Trevor manipulated how it moved was insane, not to mention just plain awesome.
Welcome to my Hell lol.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I liked it a lot except the last arc

the actual castle assault and defeat of Dracula

Was way rushed. The rest of the story had a deliberate pace and then it's like boom the end.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I never got the hype, not allot happens story wise, weak character development(Dracula is just a whinny bitch) and a very odd framerate

The first season is 15 minutes of story stretched out to four episodes and the dialogue ranges from passable to embarrassing. Season 2 was an improvement but the praise this series gets is baffling.

Nov 18, 2017
The dialogue is bad and Dracula's central motivation is kind of lame. Season 1 was pretty good still, but the addition of evil henchmen in season two lost me.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it... But Lord. Masterpiece? That's like comparing it to breaking bad. The writing and voice acting were pretty weak. But it was serviceable, and the animation/art was nice. 6.5/10 for anime 7-7.5 maybe.

chromefrog

Nov 26, 2017
I'd give it a solid 8, mostly for that last scene. Very powerful, and that's coming from someone whose exposure to Castlevania is limited.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the dialogue - cheesy and sort of "heightened" in a way, and there might have been an episode too much of it, but it was just engaging to listen to. Surprised that people are kind of split on it, since it was exactly the tone I was hoping for from an adaptation of a horror-themed video game.

Not without its issues but I'm a big fan, and glad to see it was fairly successful.