• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Instagram story culture was a mistake. Is nothing but trash

Oct 25, 2017
is this a real thing or is it one of those times someone is joking around on Twitter and some local news agency decided to post a concern piece on it.

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Is anyone even doing it? Like the supposed Tide Pod challenge being a big thing but no one was doing it.
Yes?

Yes. I deliberately chose to avoid linking videos directly-- don't want to encourage stupid people with views-- but if you must see evidence, search the hashtag or give Too Fab a click for a few examples:

http://toofab.com/2019/01/02/netflix-bird-box-challenge-people-hurting-themselves/

The popular hashtag trend is basically just people blindfolding themselves to perform everyday tasks, ranging from haircuts (bad idea!) to walking the dog (bad idea!).

In this example we spotted floating around on Twitter, you can see a man blindfolding himself and two kids while leading them around the house, and it does not end well for the toddler forced to participate.

A pair of YouTubers went as far as to blindfold themselves for 24 hours while living life, and have racked up over 1.7 million views. In another video below, a family got in on the action by filming the kids riding a cart around their house blindfolded.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well i wasn't going to, but now that you've told me not to do it...

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix can fuck off with all of their disingenuous viral marketing for what is a solidly mediocre film.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone even doing it? Like the supposed Tide Pod challenge being a big thing but no one was doing it.
I mean, that's literally what "fake news" was coined to cover - when some outlet reports some thing as being a huge epidemic or scandal, but it's largely just urban legends.

But in this case there's video of people doing dumbass shit blindfolded and Netflix should probably cover their bases and say that's not cool.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Just wait until they get their hands on Zatoichi.

mt9SFDH.jpg

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Like Tide Pods, this is one of those things that almost no one is actually doing, but it makes a great opportunity for people to think everyone else in the world is an idiot, so becomes an urban legend that people all over the place are getting hurt.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I dont remember having a "kiki challenge" back in the days...
humans always do stupid things in a widespread manner because it makes us feel inclusive regardless of the potential embarrassment or danger. People like having fun. Social media exacerbates the phenomena and makes instances of younger individuals doing stupid things seem more frequent than in the past. It's not new, it's just you're older and stupidity is in your face more due to technology.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do we really need to start every tv mshow/film/video game with the disclaimer "Do not try this at home"?

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Mundane tasks? Tidepod 2018 challenge while doing the Birdbox 2019 challenge.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Like Tide Pods, this is one of those things that almost no one is actually doing, but it makes a great opportunity for people to think everyone else in the world is an idiot, so becomes an urban legend that people all over the place are getting hurt.

Honestly it's probably this but, like Tide Pod eating, it's very funny to joke about. If it's acknowledged that this isn't actually a big deal, there's a lot of humor to be found in this.