• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
https://deadline.com/2018/11/netfli...er-of-an-insect-cage-yasuke-trese-1202498191/

Netflix is expanding their animation slate with five new anime titles which include gigantic battling robots battling huge monsters, postapocalyptic worlds, and a supernatural criminal underworld. The new slate continues Netflix's global reach when it comes to original content.

• Pacific Rim, which expands the world of the two live-action movies of the same name, returns to the epic battle of Kaiju and Jaegers. The original anime series follows two siblings — an idealistic teenage boy and his naïve younger sister — who are forced to pilot an abandoned Jaeger across a hostile landscape in a desperate attempt to find their missing parents. Co-showrunners are Craig Kyle (Thor:Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution). The series comes from Legendary Entertainment (Kong: Skull Island; Pokemon: Detective Pikachu)
  • Set in the same universe as the Netflix-live-action sci-fi series — which is currently in production — Altered Carbon will explore new elements of the story mythology. The series comes from the animation studio, Anima and will be written by Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) and Tsukasa Kondo.
  • From the animation studio Gonzo (Hellsing, Afro Samurai), Cagaster of an Insect Cage is set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious disease "Cagaster" turns people into giant murderous insects, this manga-based series follows the struggle of a young couple to stay alive. Koichi Chigira (Last Exile, Full Metal Panic!) directs.
  • Set in a war-torn Japan of mechs and magic, Yasuke follows a retired ronin who must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate. The series from the animation studio MAPPA will feature the voice of Sorry to Bother You star Lakeith Stanfield as the titular protagonist, which is based on the historical samurai of African origin who fought with Oda Nobunaga. Creator/Director/Executive Producer is LeSean Thomas(The Boondocks, Cannon Busters) while the Grammy-nominated Flying Lotus will compose the music and serve as an Executive Producer.
  • Trese is set in a Manila where the mythical creatures of Philippine folklore live in hiding amongst humans, Alexandra Trese finds herself going head to head with a criminal underworld comprised of malevolent supernatural beings. This anime series is based on the Philippine graphic novel by the same name, created by Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldissimo. Jay Oliva (Wonder Woman, The Legend of Korra) will serve as Executive Producer. Producers are Shanty Harmayn and Tanya Yuson at BASE Entertainment, a studio based in Jakarta and Singapore.

Update:

Last edited:

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Why is anyone sinking more money into anything pacific rim lol

Dai Sato and Altered Carbon is a perfect fit. He must be happy to step out of the children's anime ghetto after all these years lol

edit: Gonzo? lol what? Am I in 2006?

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"written by Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo)"

YOOOOOOOOOO.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Was Altered Carbon season 2 never confirmed? Also, definitely in for Cagaster, that sounds neat.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
My hopes were instantly raised then dashed quite expertly, thank you sir.

Anime should have been first word.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
So is Altered Carbon a movie or a show? Cause I've seen it referred both as anime feature and series.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Where on earth are the new Knights of Sidonia episodes? I feel like it's been in production forever.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
  • Set in a war-torn Japan of mechs and magic, Yasuke follows a retired ronin who must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate. The series from the animation studio MAPPA will feature the voice of Sorry to Bother You star Lakeith Stanfield as the titular protagonist, which is based on the historical samurai of African origin who fought with Oda Nobunaga. Creator/Director/Executive Producer is LeSean Thomas(The Boondocks, Cannon Busters) while the Grammy-nominated Flying Lotus will compose the music and serve as an executive producer.
Oh shit, that's a good get. Even if it's not great the OST is guaranteed to slap.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
The less Pacific Rim the better. This is disappointing news and a waste of money.
pacific rim 1 is one of my favourite movies

pacific rim 2 can fuck off

this series could be cool, idk. the concept isn't exactly selling me by itself...

at least they're all out of beloved characters to kill off for shitty reasons already

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix is definitely helping to save anime. It's not even a question.

nevercomehome

Oct 25, 2017
ah i remember Del Toro talking about the possibilities of exploring the Pacific Rim world outside of films. I'm glad that is actually happening.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Where on earth are the new Knights of Sidonia episodes? I feel like it's been in production forever.
Yeah...the manga was finished a while ago right? I hope the anime will cover the rest of the story.

I hope Pacific Rim is more like the first movie with the same music and everything. Fell out of love with this franchise real quick after Uprising.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Why is anyone sinking more money into anything pacific rim lol

Dai Sato and Altered Carbon is a perfect fit. He must be happy to step out of the children's anime ghetto after all these years lol

edit: Gonzo? lol what? Am I in 2006?
Gonzo came back to life when they made Sore Ga Seiyuu a few years ago. It was surprisingly successful.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
pacific rim 1 is one of my favourite movies

pacific rim 2 can fuck off

this series could be cool, idk. the concept isn't exactly selling me by itself...

at least they're all out of beloved characters to kill off for shitty reasons already

We're going to have to agree to disagree then. I found the first Pacific Rim to be another case of more style than substance, and to be both boring and poorly acted. I hated it. Which is why I hate that it's continued into another movie and a waste of money Netflix TV show.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Not just anime either. They announced a bunch of animated stuff in general today.

There's also My Father's Dragon, which will be a 2D animated movie from Nora Twomey, who previously made the Oscar-nominated animated film The Secret Of Kells.

In terms of TV shows, The Powerpuff Girls creator Craig McCracke has been hired to make Kid Cosmic, a new series which will focus on the struggles of a young boy who becomes a superhero.

Finally, there's the limited-run fantasy show Maya and the Three, which is being developed by Jorge Gutierrez.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/netflix-is-making-six-new-animated-movies-and-show/1100-6463054/

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Set in a war-torn Japan of mechs and magic, Yasuke follows a retired ronin who must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate. The series from the animation studio MAPPA will feature the voice of Sorry to Bother You star Lakeith Stanfield as the titular protagonist, which is based on the historical samurai of African origin who fought with Oda Nobunaga. Creator/Director/Executive Producer is LeSean Thomas(The Boondocks, Cannon Busters) while the Grammy-nominated Flying Lotus will compose the music and serve as an Executive Producer.
Who gave Yasuke money for this????

God bless Netflix for doing this.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
do we have the premise for Pacific Rim anime? it's either a prequel series before PR1, or story that takes place between PR1 and PR2. kinda want the inbetween story honestly, tell us what happened to Raleigh. they can make it all dramatic for the final episode where he sacrifice his life to save the day or something.

edit: oh wait, we do get synopsis. so it's an original story, too bad, I really hope it's more closely connected to the movies considering that we're not getting PR3 anytime soon

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Anime Originals yet only two out of five have japanese showrunners

Xf1gzALeSt-2.png

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that we never got an actual film sequel to Pacific Rim, but this makes up for it.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I can watch anything Pacific Rim related anymore that sequel tainted the entire franchise for me.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would like to see more slice of life and/or stuff set in the modern world.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm.

No sarcasm at all.

Noting that the animation industry in America has predominantly targeted at young boys, LeSean Thomas said that working with Netflix allowed him to explore beyond the scope and that they were more focused on giving the creators the freedom to do what they wanted.

This is a thought that Shankar and Masaaki Yuasa (DEVILMAN crybaby) concurred with wholeheartedly, saying that they was allowed to try darker things, including violent or sexual scenes, which they would not have been allowed to with regular television.

https://geekculture.co/anime-lacked-a-global-audience-until-netflix-decided-to-help-save-it/

The work in anime studios is notoriously tough, and many studios have been labeled "black companies" by the Japanese media for the low wages paid, particularly to junior animators. A major cause of that are the tight budgets dictated by the TV networks.

"Lately the media has been bashing the anime industry over working conditions; the TV stations have been reporting on it, but they're a big culprit," says Joseph Chou, a producer for Toei Animation on the 12-episode Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya series for Netflix.

"Netflix is restoring it to a sane business model. You're looking at maybe a 15 percent margin rather than a 5 percent loss," says Chou, who is also president of Sola Digital Arts studio in Japan.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ting-empowering-japans-anime-industry-1050297

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...the manga was finished a while ago right? I hope the anime will cover the rest of the story.

I hope Pacific Rim is more like the first movie with the same music and everything. Fell out of love with this franchise real quick after Uprising.

IIRC, the same studio made Ajin, so maybe they're just busy?