• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The slaughter continues. Hoping all crew affected land on their feet.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Netflix Shuts Down Two Animated Kids’ Series

'Dino Daycare,' from EP Chris Nee, and Jaydeep Hasrajani's 'Boons and Curses' won't go forward at the streamer.

Netflix is stopping production on a pair of animated series for kids.

Dino Daycare, from Ada Twist, Scientist executive producer Chris Nee, and the South Asian-inspired adventure Boons and Curses won't move forward at the streamer. Sources told The Hollywood Reporterthat creative impasses on each show led to the decision to scrap them.

Dino Daycare, created by Jeff King, was announced in 2020 as part of the first slate of animated showsthat Nee (Doc McStuffins) was overseeing for Netflix. The show was to take place in a world where dinosaurs never went extinct and a 6-year-old boy helps out at a nursery for baby dinos of all shapes and sizes.
[…]

Boons and Curses was created by Jaydeep Hasrajani (the 2016 Powerpuff Girls) and initially set for a 2023 premiere. The story inspired by ancient South Asia centers on a young warrior — who thanks to a curse is now made of butter — who takes on an evil ruler. The show was announced as part of a set of titles featuring Asian American creators and protagonists.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The Joker has less of a bodycount than Netflix

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
there was gonna be a kids show called Boons and Curses?

sounds rad as fuck

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
So, welcome to the downside of everyone screaming and screeching that Netflix is producing too much content and needs to pair it back. Netflix is now clearly in cost cutting mode and people are losing their jobs over it. Be careful about what you wish for indeed.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was Dino Daycare a spinoff of the Dino Office series on 3DS?

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Bruh, WTF is going on over there? Losing subscribers made them want to 86 everything?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, WTF is going on over there? Losing subscribers made them want to 86 everything?

The common perception around here is that Netflix has too many shows and that they should focus more on quality instead of quantity. If that's how people feel and Netflix is to address that, then cancelling a lot of shows would be the result of moving towards that.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The common perception around here is that Netflix has too many shows and that they should focus more on quality instead of quantity. If that's how people feel and Netflix is to address that, then cancelling a lot of shows would be the result of moving towards that.

Netflix does need to focus more on quality, but nuking their entire internal animation division doesn't seem like the right move to make, especially when the animated projects overwhelmingly haven't been what's lacking in quality.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I will be pissed if they cancel Octonauts.

They also have been dragging their feet on more Meet the Storybots.

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017
So many of these shows never even made it to air while seemingly being close to completion. You'd think they'd just follow through and wrap them up to at least have some content to drip feed while they figure their shit out. Instead it's a graveyard of thousands of hours of work with nothing to show for it.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Yeah as far as up and coming animated shows go right now, Netflix is looking like the place where dreams go to die.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
is it me or are these netflix cuts falling extremely disproportionately on their non-white, non-male workforce.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly not that different than pilots being filmed and not being picked up or mid-season cancellations where filmed episodes are just never aired. Just magnified in the lens of Netflix stock dump due to subscriber loss. Then having a wrap party and finding out that got cancelled sucks though.

Jun 22, 2019
So, welcome to the downside of everyone screaming and screeching that Netflix is producing too much content and needs to pair it back. Netflix is now clearly in cost cutting mode and people are losing their jobs over it. Be careful about what you wish for indeed.

From what I've seen people were upset that Netflix was making so much garbage (mainly outside animation at that). I don't see why anybody would care about them making "too much" if the stuff they made was actually decent or better - the problem is that they made a lot of tripe, and now they're setting fire to stuff in a manner that is not only hostile to the creative teams that are mid-project, but stuff like Boons and Curses looked very promising.

Most of this is merely stupidity that results from stonks and algorithms being prioritized over making good content. Like one of the reasons Netflix gave for cancelling Boons and Curses was because action/comedy didn't work for whatever weird genre algorithm they're trying to feed.

Like I think it's pretty disingenuous to invoke monkey paw here.

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
So even though you're losing subscribers, you think the big plan to save your company in a recession no less is to feed the tripe machine algorithm you made as cheaply as possible while screwing over creatives you contracted than taking chances on content that could lure people into the machine? Pluto TV, Tubi, and YouTube will party on your decent into a content library they'll license for spare change

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen people were upset that Netflix was making so much garbage (mainly outside animation at that). I don't see why anybody would care about them making "too much" if the stuff they made was actually decent or better - the problem is that they made a lot of tripe, and now they're setting fire to stuff in a manner that is not only hostile to the creative teams that are mid-project, but stuff like Boons and Curses looked very promising.

Most of this is merely stupidity that results from stonks and algorithms being prioritized over making good content. Like one of the reasons Netflix gave for cancelling Boons and Curses was because action/comedy didn't work for whatever weird genre algorithm they're trying to feed.

Like I think it's pretty disingenuous to invoke monkey paw here.

Companies producing products for children always had problems with stuff that can't be cleanly categorized though. It's stupid and sucks, but that you're facing an uphill battle if you break the mold a bit is not really a new thing of the algorithm future. It's the same line of thinking that at its most drastic end required toys to be marketed specifically for either girls or boys for decades.

I don't think what we're seeing here is Netflix having problems with its algorithms (these algorithms take way more factors into account than genre anyway), but that Netflix wants to put its focus on kids shows that they think are more easily marketable. And the poster you're responding to does have a point that the content we in our bubble want Netflix to focus on isn't actually the content that is most successful for Netflix. I'm sure no one here cares much for Boss Baby, but it's the kind of thing that's successful.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the "screeching" is about Netflix making too much garbage and being too trigger happy with cancellations. The solution isn't canceling everything, it's growing a fucking brain and being selective about what gets produced in the first place. Instead of saying "fuck it, let's see what happens" so everything gets a season oe two, they should curate so half as many shows get made but get to tell a 3-4 season story, not a 1-2 season cliffhanger.

They just canceled Space Force today as well, so the fallout is just beginning.
Fuck sakes. It wasn't amazing but it made me laugh and Malkovich is just hysterical.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I get the desire to discuss each and every one of these shows getting cancelled, but how can anyone even discuss whether it was a good idea to cancel these when they never aired? Who knows?

Maybe we need one "Netflix is cancelling everything" super thread?

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Know some people that lost their jobs this week. A lot of people in Toronto animation are def anxious.