• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Would have thought it was better for him to keep it on Netflix where his other stuff is. Nothing stopping them selling it to another streaming service where he doesnt have a voice now.
I don't think he likes the show at all anymore if he ever had any reverence for it after he left. In this very clip he says he doesn't want people watching it at all on any kind of service, it's also streamable on comedy centrals app last I knew too and I'm sure he doesn't want people giving them clicks and views either.

This is powerful stuff from Dave

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to Dave's voice? He looks a bit rough too did he get sick or do a shit-ton of drugs?

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a shitty contract type of situation? Because would Dave get nothing, but Larry David and Jerry get hundred million dollars deals for Seinfeld? I always assumed creators always get taken care of.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
But he himself admits that what ViacomCBS does is legal and they don't have to pay him, it sucks but it is what it is.

And Netflix really doesn't deserve that much praise, he makes them a lot of money and they want to keep working with him, if he had a deal for specials with another company they would have laughed in his face. Them honoring his request is ultimately self serving.

There was really no need for this input, but you "contracts being what they are" folks just can't help it for some reason.

Dave should get paid for his work but he's no longer someone I'm gonna cape for.

The thing is, Dave's larger point is that artists always get fucked by corporations. I can't cape for him, but I can cape for his point. You produce the work and someone pays you a pittance while they get rich.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
No. If you watch the video above he goes into that and how it happened to him. He wants people to boycott his show until/unless they pay him
Unfortunately no, not with the way he left.

A little bit, but that's an entirely different group of executives in an entirely different decade.
No and he's said as such but said its not right
Interesting, thanks. Dave kinda has his head up his own ass on a lot of things these days, but this is a good fight. I hope he prevails.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this is less Good Guy Netflix and more Netflix would like to continue to have a working relationship with Chappelle on future specials.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Man, crazy that this wasn't a joke.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
The fewer people exposed to his work, the better imo. The damage he has done to the transgender community, especially to transgender PoC, can't be understated.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I like how he is not shrugging. This is not about "they got me to sign my soul young and I'm fucked". He gets the score, but he decided to fight anyways.

And I love how he describes his netflix relationship. They pay me my money, and this time they went beyond expected and accommodated me, losing money in the process. No extra love for netflix, just the reality of the situation. Its sad that such a simple thing like a business transaction of I do work and you pay me is lauded in the entertainment industry, where all contracts have a million ways to fuck with the talent.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Chapelle feels bad and wants people to stop.. same dude who wants people to just deal with it. Prick.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think it's sad that one of the bigger names has to still fight for this. If he's gotta do it, I bet even smaller fry are getting fucked even more.

At least Chappelle's got some clout..

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
so wait... watching the bit there he says he couldnt even start a new dave chapelle show if he wanted to because they own his name and likeness???

Is this legal?

He kinda fucked up by naming the show after himself then??? hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I mean he said this at the end of SNL "I'm not making any money from it. Watch Chappelle's Show on Netflix!" Thought it was weird. rushed through a ton of eps because I could feel it coming.

so wait... watching the bit there he says he couldnt even start a new dave chapelle show if he wanted to because they own his name and likeness???

Is this legal?
very legal. Look at nearly any fashion designer. Jil Sander is the poster child for, don't fucking do that.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting flex of power by Chappelle, I hope ultimately he is able to buy back the rights to his show and sell it to a streamer on his own terms.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
"So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And do you wanna know that they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform; just so I could feel better."

Wow, good for you, Dave. Too bad you don't have the same level of respect for the people in the LGBTQ+ when you say things that make them feel bad.

Seriously, I used to respect the shit out of this guy, but it is hard or me to care about the plight of a bigot.

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me wonder if anyone from the pre-netflix TV shows get residuals when their stuff comes to streaming services. I imagine if the content is remastered it would but if it's untouched, then maybe not?

I'd be interested in knowing how him walking away from the show played out legally. I just kinda assumed he lost all rights/control over the show after that.
I'm curious now too. Was that a breach of contract? Did it nullify any residuals he would get from the show's eventual move to streaming platforms?

greengr

Dec 3, 2018