• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is inappropriate to make a film with young girls twerking as a plot point. Full stop. I'd also say it's inappropriate for young girls to emulate that dance in the first place since it is inherently sexual, but kids are gonna do what they're gonna do so that's besides the point. The point is that it is problematic to make a film about it. That the film is autobiographical in nature is irrelevent.
We're going to very much agree to disagree on this one. The dance isn't inherently sexual imo. I don't find dances that involves ass movement(aka MANY latin dances I've grown up seeing and being a part of my whole life) as inherently sexual. Can they be used in that manner? Sure, but that doesn't mean 12 year olds dancing with their friends are trying to be sexual when they do it.

It's not irrelevent that the film is autobiographical either imo as I stated before, her lived experienced shouldn't be off limits for film.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is inappropriate to make a film with young girls twerking as a plot point. Full stop. I'd also say it's inappropriate for young girls to emulate that dance in the first place since it is inherently sexual, but kids are gonna do what they're gonna do so that's besides the point. The point is that it is problematic to make a film about it. That the film is autobiographical in nature is irrelevent.

Yes and no. It is a topic that absolutely needs to be discussed with children, so they aren't going blind into the world. They are going to encounter this shit regardless and if they don't have an understanding of the context or background. Its going to be rough. We all know those kids who were sheltered far too much and just went off the walls once they were exposed to this. Be it drugs, sex, partying, games, etc.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a hard title to translate in english tbh. French is "cute [girls]", which is fine. Just translating it to cute would have been weird too.

Yea I get that but they could have definitely come up with a better word. With that description, that one poster and that title, they are basically asking for this blow up in their face.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man, the title and poster are a little creepy. But the trailer really does not seem bad at all - there are lots of tween dancing movies/youtube stuff like this. And honestly this one seems to be of slightly higher quality than the usual drivel directed at this demographic.

Chariot

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg
I dunno man, the title and poster are a little creepy. But the trailer really does not seem bad at all - there are lots of tween dancing moves like this. And honestly this one seems to be of slightly higher quality than the usual drivel directed at this demographic.
The film is supposedly well made. Netflix' method of advertising it... a lot less so.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're going to very much agree to disagree on this one. The dance isn't inherently sexual imo. I don't find dances that involves ass movement(aka MANY latin dances I've grown up seeing and being a part of my whole life) as inherently sexual. Can they be used in that manner? Sure, but that doesn't mean 12 year olds dancing with their friends are trying to be sexual when they do it.

It's not irrelevent that the film is autobiographical either imo as I stated before, her lived experienced shouldn't be off limits for film.
You're right that 12 year olds dancing with their friends aren't trying to be sexual when they do it — that's why it's inappropriate to make a film about it. It's exploitative. The kids don't understand what they're doing. Again though, whether it is in appropriate for girls to emulate this type of dancing is irrelevant to the discussion. It's inappropriate to film it. Some lived experiences simply don't translate well to film.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised that, instead of dealing with the complicated reality of second-gen kids being exposed to western values which may or may not fit within existing religious/cultural frameworks, ERA responds with snap judgements and "YIKES."

I have no idea if this film will be decent or good or shit. But I do know many immigrants and second gen kids who struggle with whether western media is a healthy expression for their kids, or a colonization of the mind by western media and the million/billionaires who run it.

Edit: Perhaps spoke too soon. Read the first page and responded to comments there, but page 8 and 9 are showing much more thorough engagement. Appreciate perspectives that are non-western as well.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The good intentions of the movie are not really relevant anymore. The marketing is so horrendous that the film is pretty much toast for any nuanced discussion. As for how exploitative the movie is I can't really speak to that unless I see it. So much depends on how the dance sequences are shot, how long we are watching them for and of course the content.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right that 12 year olds dancing with their friends aren't trying to be sexual when they do it — that's why it's inappropriate to make a film about it. It's exploitative. The kids don't understand what they're doing. Again though, whether it is in appropriate for girls to emulate this type of dancing is irrelevant to the discussion. It's inappropriate to film it. Some lived experiences simply don't translate well to film.
I just find the bolded ridiculous and more specifically an 11yr old can comprehend a lot, such as what this film is trying to do. It's not inherently exploitative and I see no evidence of it being so thus far. I think it's unfair to write it off as such.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
It just sounds like you don't find it appropriate for film because you want to ignore it exists in real life.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's deeper than that guys I swear!"
A lot of you defending this are no different than the anime fans who justify lolicon. I don't need to see literal children half-naked to understand them being hyper-sexualized.
Feel free to elaborate. I'm very curious how you're going to make this argument.

Oct 26, 2017
Some of the takes in this thread are fucking embarrassing.

When your ultra instinct level wokeness collides and aligns with the far right, maybe take a step back and check yourself.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

I'm honestly more mad at netflix than the reaction from non far right people

Most people in general impressions would be flicking through netflix and seeing the poster and description and there's no way netflix could be this incompetent and make everyone first impression be some honey boo boo shit instead using the actual neutral French poster that likely more accurately represents the film

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
You do realize this is not just some 12 year old girls being filmed while they're dancing, right? You talk like there's nothing more to it than that.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
that poster was bad, can you imagine being seen watching that poster at work and not getting fired?
Anyone who has a business education knows that people would base their impression on a poster 99% of people don't go out of their way to read directors interview to discover what the movie about
People are dumb and impulsive even without Twitter and any competent marketer should know this
Era has no excuse but netflix deserves the backlash

Oct 27, 2017

We're deeply sorry for the inappropriate artwork that we used for Mignonnes/Cuties. It was not OK, nor was it representative of this French film which won an award at Sundance. We've now updated the pictures and description.

I feel like a bunch of replies on this page are ignoring this post, lol.

Don't act like the Netflix poster wasn't problematic, when they have come forward to claim responsibility.

Don't act like the Netflix marketing didn't fuck up, when they have since come forward to apologize for misrepresenting the film.

Don't act like the people defending this movie are caping for sexualizing of young girls, when this film has won awards for it's nuanced depiction of hyper-sexualization.

Like... please read the thread, guys.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix really fucked up the marketing here. Movie sounds quite interesting. Here's a translated interview with the director:

www.cineuropa.org

Maïmouna Doucouré • Director of Cuties

18/08/2020 - French filmmaker Maïmouna Doucouré tells us about her feature debut, Cuties, awarded at Sundance and Berlin and acquired by Netflix, now landing in French cinemas

Cineuropa: How was the idea for Cuties born?
Maïmouna Doucouré :
The day I saw, at a neighbourhood party, a group of young girls aged around 11 years old, going up on stage and dancing in a very sensual way while wearing very revealing clothes. I was rather shocked and I wondered if they were aware of the image of sexual availability that they were projecting. In the audience, there were also more traditional mothers, some of them wearing veils: it was a real culture shock. I was stunned and I thought back to my own childhood, because I've often asked myself questions about my own femininity, about evolving between two cultures, about my Senegalese culture which comes from my parents and my western culture. But I needed the 2020 version of that youth, so for a year and a half, I stopped groups of young girls in the street, sometimes in schools or when organisations opened their doors to me. I recorded them or filmed them when I had their parents' authorisation, and I gathered their stories to find out where they situated themselves as children, as girls, as future women; how they placed themselves in society with their girlfriends, their families, at school, with social networks. All these stories fed into the writing of Cuties.

The film is very careful not to judge the characters.
Yes, because this isn't a health & safety ad. This is most of all an uncompromising portrait of an 11-year-old girl plunged in a world that imposes a series of dictates on her. It was very important not to judge these girls, but most of all to understand them, to listen to them, to give them a voice, to take into account the complexity of what they're living through in society, and all of that in parallel with their childhood which is always there, their imaginary, their innocence.

You denounce the impact of social media at that age.
During my research, I saw that all these young girls I'd met were very exposed on social media. And with new social codes, the ways of presenting yourself change. I saw that some very young girls were followed by 400,000 people on social media and I tried to understand why. There were no particular reasons, besides the fact that they had posted sexy or at least revealing pictures: that is what had brought them this "fame." Today, the sexier and the more objectified a woman is, the more value she has in the eyes of social media. And when you're 11, you don't really understand all these mechanisms, but you tend to mimic, to do the same thing as others in order to get a similar result. I think it is urgent that we talk about it, that a debate be had on the subject.

When you received your award in Sundance, you delivered a very powerful speech on the place of women and of diversity in cinema.
It has to be talked about. We know that there is a problem, and it isn't by hiding from it that it will go away. We need more models, in higher positions. Seeing a woman president, female astronauts, female engineers: these models are indispensable for the construction of little girls, essential to open their imagination. In that regard, I think cinema has an important role to play. However, I've never felt more French than when I was in the United States. In that country, I'm just a French director. Of course, the question of the place of women is discussed, but the notion of diversity isn't particularly brought up to me. But in France, I have the feeling that there are sci-fi films, dramas, comedies, etc., and another genre: the "diversity genre". We must talk about it today so that things change, but we will only truly be happy and we will only stop fighting once this "diversity genre" has disappeared. Because, for example, no one wants to be selected at a film festival out of positive discrimination. Whether you're a woman or issued from diversity, what matters is that your work is fully recognised artistically, for what it is and not for what you represent.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
The trailer is a lot less "offending" than some posts would make it seem. Not that I am going to watch it, and Netflix's advertising makes it seem more like a feel good movie when it doesn't look like that at all. I mean a girl gets slapped by her mother.

At first when I read the title thought it was going to be an animated movie about the tangerines named Cuties.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): inflammatory drive-by trolling
How low do you have to be for 4chan to have the moral high ground

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
How low do you have to be for 4chan to have the moral high ground
4Chan doesn't have the moral high ground though as the movie isn't pedophilic or supportive of pedophilia at all.

I feel so bad for the filmmaker who probably was super happy that her first film got award recognition and published by Netflix, just for her to get labeled a pedophile by the internet at large due to Netflix's shitty marketing.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movie with some real meaning to both ends of online culture and traditional culture turned to shit discussions because of Netflix marketing. Fuck off Netflix

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
4Chan doesn't have the moral high ground though as the movie isn't pedophilic or supportive of pedophilia at all.

I feel so bad for the filmmaker who probably was super happy that her first film got award recognition and published by Netflix, just for her to get labeled a pedophile by the internet at large due to Netflix's shitty marketing.

All of this. Have we really become this incapable of actually analyzing the media around us?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
4chan is pretty obviously going at her because she's a PoC and Muslim.

If you can't see that you're dense. I can go to any board on 4chan right now and find a thread discussing lewd anime girls, and in that situation there's no actual nuance to the discussion and it's mainly characters drawn by men to tititlate men.

The only reason 4chan cares is because they want to point fingers and go "see it's 'the left' that's gone crazy and support pedophiles".

It's the same deal with the #saveourchildren hashtag that sprung from sites that never cared about girls before. And in the same way it tries to silence PoC and LGBTQ people by slinging around accusations without merit.

I get being nervous or refuse to watch the film...I admit I'd feel weird doing so. But the idea that this is the same as a cheap, trashy lolicon anime or that there should be legal punishment for anyone involved is ridiculous.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I think the worst part about this is seeing the reactions to this, and realizing people do this to waaaaay more important stuff. Like if people are so quick to get duped over a quick trailer, like how fucked are we when it comes to like actual threats of disinformation. Even this own board, scary shit.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
All of this. Have we really become this incapable of actually analyzing the media around us?
the thing is analyzing this movie was never the goal of 99,99% of the people on youtube/twitter and on ERA. For most people this was a nice entertaining waste of time attacking, destroying and ending the work of people who worked really hard on this movie. Just in this thread there was a tweet where people were asking to get the director in jail.

i dont even wanna know what people are sending the people involved with this movie over DMs. scary shit.

People are calling others pedos as soon as you defend this movie.

Meanwhile people we know were on Epsteins island raping little girls and maybe boys drive around in their million dollar cars, living in their million dollar houses. Its easier to shit on a movie than to actually care to get real pedos behind bars. They make for good memes though..... fuck this world.

Last edited: