• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix is doing so much that this small increase isn't going to make me cancel it yet. I guess if it goes over $15, I might think about cancelling.

Saying that, Just cancelled amazon prime. For some reason $99 a year was fine but the extra $20 made me think so much. In the end, I figured I will take a break and sign up when there is some sort of promo.

Oct 27, 2017
So we will get another hike by H2 2020 latest. Can't wait to see what Disney and Apple offers so I can dump Netflix.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no point in complaining since i only keep it because my nephews do have shows they watch. i find myself using hulu more these days.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I got in on the Hulu for $.99 a month for 12 months. So 1 month of Netflix is already more expensive than a year of Hulu for me. I get the highest package for 4k. I'm still happy with the content but I might take a few months off few months on after Punisher season 2.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
For me, they have to step up on network shows currently airing, get beloved shows that are done with on their service, and get a hell of a lot of current and popular anime not just their own to justify another price increase for me. Lately the only thing keeping me on it is that my mom watches foreign films and Grace and Frankie which is almost done.
The Marvel shows are basically goners and their anime listing is just Naruto, Madoka, and their original stuff. They don't even have all of Bleach or One Piece up to date yet. Nor do they have any Funimation stuff which is what keeps me on Hulu.
Netflix is gonna have to step up their game on more levels than just original content if they want to be seen as worth it even if they are pocket change compared to cable.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
How can anyone say their content isn't solid? It's understable if some of these shows aren't for you, and if that's the case they yeah by all means cancel. But it's factually wrong to say these shows suck:

1. Ozark
2. Maniac
3. Bojack Horseman
4. Big Mouth
5. Stranger Things
6. Narcos
7. The Crown
8. Mindhunter
9. Haunting of Hill House
10. Santa Clarita Diet
11. GLOW
12. Friends from College
13. Castlevania

That's just original TV shows. Not to mention their movies they are starting to put out, and co productions.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
How can anyone say their content isn't solid? It's understable if some of these shows aren't for you, and if that's the case they yeah by all means cancel. But it's factually wrong to say these shows suck:

1. Ozark
2. Maniac
3. Bojack Horseman
4. Big Mouth
5. Stranger Things
6. Narcos
7. The Crown
8. Mindhunter
9. Haunting of Hill House
10. Santa Clarita Diet
11. GLOW
12. Friends from College
13. Castlevania

That's just original TV shows. Not to mention their movies they are starting to put out, and co productions.

I mean Friends from College is legit bad, and I would substitute Grace and Frankie for it, but like you've listed a handful of shows that get one 12 episode season a year (and some of them fewer than that, in the case of Stranger Things), so it's not like that makes a compelling argument for keeping a subscription year round, for all eternity.

Fake edit: Also I just realized you have Maniac on that list, which I would substitute Dear White People

Feb 1, 2018
Instead of paying 80/month for cable, you'll soon be paying 80/month combined for 3-4 different subscription services! Welcome to next gen guys!

Really though, I cancelled Netflix a while ago. Way too much garbage filler content and they keep losing shows to Hulu (which I currently have)

Right now for me it's just Hulu ad-free + the occasional $4-6 iTunes rental

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
this. they are a public traded company. their investor expect more money ever year more profit so they have to raise prices every year

They're announcing this price hike a few days before they issue their 4th quarter earnings report. I wonder whether they announced it hoping to either cushion disappointment or fan enthusiasm in advance of the report. Or maybe the two aren't connected?

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean Friends from College is legit bad, and I would substitute Grace and Frankie for it, but like you've listed a handful of shows that get one 12 episode season a year (and some of them fewer than that, in the case of Stranger Things), so it's not like that makes a compelling argument for keeping a subscription year round, for all eternity.

Fake edit: Also I just realized you have Maniac on that list, which I would substitute Dear White People
What network gives you that many quality shows? That have countless others you would substitute in? How many people, including you, have even watched all of the shows...fuck even half of the shows on that list he posted?

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This. My wife and I watch a ton and a lot of it any more is original content so I don't mind paying for it. And it's on top of cable for us which we keep for sports and other things (cheaper with the internet discount to keep that vs. paying for all the streaming services we'd need to get all the things we watch).

This is where my family is at at the given moment too.

I don't know what they would do without Netflix. Frankly, I don't know what I'd do either. Some of my absolute favorite entertainment media anywhere is only on that site.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Well, they keep making really good content, so I'm still in. The last two years especially, they've been putting out shows left and right. And decent stuff, too.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Once it hits closer to $15 is when I'll start to reconsider but currently I'm enjoying most of their output so I'm okay with this price hike.

More Aggretsuko, plz.

Oct 25, 2017
Not too bad. I mean, it's certainly not an Amazon situation where Amazon straight up is becoming increasingly worse in a number of ways and raising the cost of a subscription to Amazon Prime.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Price is still good for the majority of people that just need "content" that isn't offensively bad that they can waste time binging. Will probably cancel soon though as I don't like any of their original series.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I honestly take in hours worth of content by them a lot of days so honestly I'm with this. I probably shouldnt be but it is what it is. Plus there are 4 of us on this one subscription anyways.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its going to be funny when one day you'll be talking to your kids and saying how cable TV used to mean an actual cable coming from the wall and not the service that aggregates streams. That's what it's going to eventually become, internet service that includes a streaming services bundle.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Europe and Netflix is already expensive in my country, I'm definitely thinking about dropping the subscription and switching to HBO GO which offers a vast library of shows and movies I'd actually like to watch (or rewatch). And for half the price.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
"But Masoyama, I haven't watched a movie or TV show in my life that wasn't made by Marvel, I have every right to flaunt my lack of taste like a badge of honor."

I know you are making fun of them, but man I can't believe that there are actual people in the thread like that. Netflix had a great 2016, 2017, and 2018 when it comes to original content, and some posters act like the only good thing Netflix is the Marvel stuff (which is mostly pretty bad). They have so many good shows that even some of my favorites didn't show up in the quote you posted (Terrace House and Love for example). They have so much content that I can no longer do the cancel a month or so until a good show is released (like I do with HBO or Starz). There is just always something to watch.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Its going to be funny when one day you'll be talking to your kids and saying how cable TV used to mean an actual cable coming from the wall and not the service that aggregates streams. That's what it's going to eventually become, internet service that includes a streaming services bundle.
Cable nothing. I used rabbit ears as a kid because not every room in the house was connected to the cable.

TBH, I wish Netflix would let me control my feed more, because they like to direct me to things I have zero interest in and you'd think all of those algorithms they used for literally everything (that even give me different title cards based on what other stuff I've watched) could tell them I have no interest in Friends or some anime, then bury the HK action films and random scifi in oblivion.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate to say it but I think they could raise the price to $19.99 and still be fine. I think they know this too.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
why do people complain there are too many streaming services all trying to get money?

subscribe for a few months and binge, or even one month just for a show you like then cancel.

it's really simple and it was the dream when you had to pay for cable for a ton of channels you didn't want.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
HBO's interface is also comically bad. Small boxes with a picture of the movie and TINY text for the title so that it is incredibly difficult to read. If Im not wearing glasses I have to squint to see the titles, and even then, I can barely read them.
I feel like we're both neglecting to mention their pre-show ads that are BAKED INTO the video feed. Meaning you have to manually scrub past them if you're trying to binge watch episodes in a series.

Once this season of GoT is over and I've gotten my girlfriend all caught up I'm cancelling this service in a heartbeat. It's spectacularly inept and makes Netflix look like the gold standard in UX design.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
why do people complain there are too many streaming services all trying to get money?

subscribe for a few months and binge, or even one month just for a show you like then cancel.

it's really simple and it was the dream when you had to pay for cable for a ton of channels you didn't want.
Don't some of them prevent you from signing up again for a number of months after you cancel?