• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Shows Pakistani muslims as terrorists
Shows Pakistanis as a whole as militant and backwards
Pakistani men wearing prayer caps all the time
All Pakistani women dressed to pray
Hard-on for "Indian spies are good and Pakistanis are backwards bad" you find in a priyanka chopra level patriotic bad Bollywood movie which goes hyper nationalist

what is Netflix doing ?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
not suprising. countries that commit human rights abuses on a large scale, will try and cover up their deeds. history is written by the victor

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
not suprising. countries that commit human rights abuses on a large scale, will try and cover up their deeds. history is written by the victor

Aye. We'll never see a miniseries or Netflix India produced documentary about the WhatsApp lynchings because that hits too close to home.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's not like Netflix has great quality control or a great moral compass. They just buy up as many "Originals" als possible, without regard of quality or political context.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I...don't understand the problem? This is part of the Netflix strategy to offer local content. The show is meant for Indian audiences. Don't tell me you haven't seen tons of American and British spy movies doing pretty much the same chest-thumping nationalism thing. And I don't think the assertions you make are justified from the trailer. It shows that there are terrorists in Pakistan, not that all Pakistani muslims are terrorists. And it's known that Pakistan has a serious terrorism problem. I mean, Osama Bin Laden was found a kilometer away from Pakistan Military Academy.

Any claims of islamophobia seem suspect, as it's based on a book written by a muslim author and produced by Shahrukh Khan, a muslim Indian actor. As for any claims against Pakistan, well, Pakistan was placed by FATF in its black list today for not taking any concrete steps to root out terrorism in its territory. I'm not trying to take sides here. The current Indian govt is pretty terrifying too. I'm just saying that the feelings expressed by the OP seem to be stemming from jingoism and misplaced nationalism rather than any objective standpoint.

Oh, and let me just say, that was a terrible trailer. Makes me think the show is going to be a huge flop. Bad dialogue, bland scenes, ugh.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watching this with the sound off and it looks like it could be a show on The USA Network.

Are there other examples of Netflix shows like this?

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Wtf is wrong with era and their takes on other countries which they have no clue of. Yall just come here to type fuck this and that leave without looking into the Op and his claim.

Netflix also made Leila a show which depicts a time where the country is ruled by Hindus and how society plays out. It attacks the concept of Hindu dominated country showing a terrible dark side.

Netflix also made Sacred games where a hindu guru plots a nuclear attack in mumbai to start a war worldwide.

Bard of blood is the only show by network of espionage and is based on the book by the same name.

Didnt see Otherwordly create concern threads when Leila and Sacred games released this year depicting hinduism and blind faith in a poor light. I wonder why? Maybe to push a narrative?

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Aye. We'll never see a miniseries or Netflix India produced documentary about the WhatsApp lynchings because that hits too close to home.
We did. Its in Sacred Games season 2 episode 6 where a muslims boy gets lynched by a crowd of hindus. The show is also the most popular show in India and they showed it here instead of some small venture which wouldnt have gotten much views.

Dec 31, 2017
Pakistanis are always portrayed as those tropes. When was the last time one was portrayed positively in western media? The big sick?

The fact that this is being produced for Indian audiences actually makes this worse. I mean it will be successful likely, but at a time where tensions between the neighbors are extremely high. Only drums up further conflict.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Hey thats my opinion on any indian movie or show I come across!

Netflix really should have a bit more moderation on what they bring onto the service if this is true.
Wow, what a dumb take. Ignorant at best and racist at worst. The breadth, depth and quality of offerings when it comes to Indian Cinema is staggering. Just to name recent movies and TV shows that have been incredible- Dangal, Gully Boy, Sacred Games, Made in Heaven, Mirzapur, and many more. I haven't even started with all the great indie content like Village Rockstars.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
This is the case for much of their foreign content. I noticed some Chinese and japanese shows that are unabashed propaganda. I even wrote a paper on it. The amount of politically positioned content seems to be increasing too.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Sadly not everyone is informed. The opening poster might not be aware that this show is produced by and starring quite famous Muslim actors (even I know who Shah Rukh Khan is!) and adapting an existing book.
Oh I have a feeling he is very well aware who srk is. Its always easy to make such topics and garner hate especially among people who have no clue and judge by face value of the content in front of them. My comments here will be ignored and his post will keep working its magic.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
As someone who emmigrated from India, it is absolutely troubling how large swathes of the population are getting caught up in the hindu nationlist cunt Modi's propaganda. Blind patriotism is one hell of a drug with devastating consequences. Fuck Modi and his propaganda machine.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one poorly researched thread.

Not even making excuses for India's terrible problem with Hindu nationalism and human right abuses, but none of that has anything to do with the show in question, and the claims in OP are bunk, and invite trash takes like this:

Hey thats my opinion on any indian movie or show I come across!

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This stuff is made for the people in those regions , I doubt that they're angry of getting this stuff made, to them it's just a show

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
it was a real shock to find Ms. Chopra was a jingoistic Betty Grable. But seeing the Indian government learned the best and the worst of American and British governance, not to mention having thousands of years of their own history of ruling large populations, seeing them use beautiful people for propaganda reasons makes great sense. It's smart, sad, cynical, but smart. And why should she have a problem with it? She loves her country and her country loves her. And if she didn't there would be consequences.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
This is especially troubling considering what India is doing to Kashmir right now.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
This is nothing. They are just trying to grab the local audience by showing what Most populus want to see.

In a few years, I expect a show which shows how India liberated Kashmir from the Kashmiris who are terrorists and are anti India just because they want freedom which is their Basic Right. Also, Gang Rapes and using pellet guns that are all conspiracy and done by Pakistanis

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much anytime a middle eastern country I'm shown in tv or movies they all look like towns made of dirty shacks, dirt roads, and everyone drives 20 year old cars etc

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Odd, considering that Sacred Games on Netflix is very much the opposite, spending a lot of time shining a light on the hypocrisy and ugliness of modern India.