• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Adam Sandler keeps winning.

:insert he can't keep getting away with it gif: 😂

Some interesting ones are some shows literally being a week old (The Witcher and You) and already higher on the list.

Variety said:
Netflix released rankings, but did not disclose actual viewership stats, in keeping with its longstanding policy. According to a Netflix spokeswoman, the rankings were determined not by total number of viewers, but by counting the total number of households to stream an individual title for at least two minutes during the first 28 days of its release. For those titles that have not yet been available for 28 days, the company used projections based on the early data to estimate a 28-day viewership number, a process that Netflix has used with viewership data disclosed on its quarterly earnings calls.

More lists in the Twitter thread.

Last edited:

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Two minutes or more and only in the first 28 days? So if we want to save shows on Netflix all they require is that we only watch 2 minutes in first 28 days?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
No Respect for Marriage Story, Two Popes, or Dolemite

Nice to see When They See Us and Unbelievable get recognized

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
That Adam Sandler deal looks like a win-win for him and Netflix.

Also the production values on Lost in Space look insane and it's not even on the TV series top ten - oof that can't be good. At least it's on the kids and family list?

And last it seems like Netflix's revival of You worked out real well.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Two minutes or more and only in the first 28 days? So if we want to save shows on Netflix all they require is that we only watch 2 minutes in first 28 days?

Yeah, this article talks about it:

Well, apparently Netflix has applied some creative arithmetic to these rankings. In barely legible baby font at the bottom of each of the lists it tweeted out, the company explains that content released in December "incorporate viewing predictions," which might explain how 6 Underground miraculously shot to the top of its "popular releases" list. Moreover, the company said that the lists were "ranked based on accounts that choose to watch two minutes or more of a title during its first 28 days on Netflix in 2019." By this metric, if you watched what amounts to the title sequence of any of these shows, you helped push them to the top of the pack—sorry OA.
Even Netflix appears to realize these are bizarre ways to rank the popularity of content on its platform. According to Variety, Netflix characterizes the lists as a way to "help members find something great to watch at a time of year when viewing typically peaks." This might explain how the Netflix thriller Secret Obsession wound up on its list of top 10 movies released on its platform this year, or how Triple Frontier took the No. 5 spot on the list.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder where "Love, Death and Robots" places.

I quite enjoyed that. I hope we get more.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That Adam Sandler deal looks like a win-win for him and Netflix.

Also the production values on Lost in Space look insane and it's not even on the TV series top ten - oof that can't be good. At least it's on the kids and family list?

And last it seems like Netflix's revival of You worked out real well.
Lost in Space looks HBO tier.

How I wish The Witcher looked even just a fraction as good! It'd elevate it to new heights.

dimus96

Nov 16, 2018
Poland
Awesome list... and wow! What a big diffrence when you look at my country :D

1. The Witcher
2. The Two Popes
3. The Irishman
4. 6 Underground
5. Murder Mystery
6. Stranger Things 3
7. Sex Education
8. Triple Frontier
9. Isn't It Romantic
10. Money Heist 3

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
if those are real, You is a big hit for Netflix because S2 just came out recently. And Witcher aswell but we know about that one. I assume You S3 is a lock.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so Mindhunter will be cancelled as season 3 hasn't been renewed yet right?

the "word on the street" is that they are just giving Fincher whatever time he needs for other projects but it doesnt look good imo :(

Also Altered Carbon WAS renewed but as far as I know has had nothing done yet, and with Mackey on the Falcon show, he wont be filming AC2 anytime soon.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
6 underground didn't even start yet at the 2 minute mark lol what an ass metric.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming for 2 minutes is a strange way of measuring success.

It can't be that difficult to get people to try out a free thing for 2 minutes. So this is measuring what things Netflix pushed the most during the year?

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
2 minutes during the first 28 days? Viewing predictions for December releases? So this is just useless then.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017

When I realize that even I've had stuff like Two Popes and Dolemite slip past me so far unviewed, I can almost throw up my hands and let Netflix slide for canceling American Vandal with a 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'

almost

I literally have no idea what Murder Mystery is but am assuming it's some Sandler schlock

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised Raising Dion is on the list. I have it on my watch list from the day I saw it pop up but I've heard literally no one talk about so I haven't watched it yet.

Yep. Netflix trying to goose their numbers so they can get more eyeballs on their originals.

Gross.

Their originals like The Incredibles 2, Spider-Man and Ralph Breaks the Internet? The same metric is applied to all their content, how does it boost their originals over everything else?

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know it's not the most loved show, but I will never forgive Netflix for killing The OA. It's a permanent grudge I have against them.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

i mean their terrible metric had ensured these films wouldn't make it

marriage story, you gotta be in a certain kind of mood to watch that meanwhile murder mystery is that shit you click on just because

dolemite, it should come as no surprise that people wouldn't even click on this let alone give it 2 minutes

Oct 27, 2017
so Mindhunter will be cancelled as season 3 hasn't been renewed yet right?
Mindhunter is not being cancelled. Don't let people and their ridiculous fearmongering worry you.

Fincher is working on Mank and made it clear that he will return to Mindhunter after he's done with the film so it will be a couple years before season 3. Fincher originally envisioned 5 seasons of the show and Netflix is going to let him do his thing.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance not even making the top 10 means the chances of it been renewed are slim.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher topping Stranger Things 3 almost everywhere (except India and the US I think) in popularity is remarkable.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
My favourite things were GLOW and Fuller House but they aren't in the lists. At least Netflix is giving them notice for their final seasons.