• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I pay the premium sub so i and 3 other family members can watch at the same time. They use my login of course. Don't know why that would be considered piracy lol.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Admitting to Piracy
The only reason I pirate movies and shows is the stuff I want is not on my region's Netflix, or has staggered release due to outdated broadcast schemes. What Netflix says here, is not piracy but a feature they themselves monetize. What the hell....

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I share my account with my 3 sisters, is Netflix saying that's freaking piracy?
Not Netflix, a lot of companies are trying to sell Netflix tech that recognize different users and prevent account sharing but they have to spread the idea that it's bad and hurting Netflix first.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I'm against piracy but I wouldn't call letting a friend use my Netflix account piracy. I mean they are they selling me a 4 streams at a time package what does it matter who's watching.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm against piracy but I wouldn't call letting a friend use my Netflix account piracy. I mean they are they selling me a 4 streams at a time package what does it matter who's watching.

They sell you 4 streams at a time to members of the same household. It's pretty clear in the T&Cs.

I do expect Netflix to crack down on this eventually. The business isn't sustainable as is, so they need to do more things to increase revenue.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
They damn well wish they could prove that a shared account equals a lost sale. And that's all it is: a wish born from greed.

In a world with unlimited media options, people who can't piggyback on someone else's services could look to a hundred other sources for entertainment.

"Piracy." The nerve of these corporate assholes. They wouldn't be satisfied even if they could tax people for every millisecond their eyeballs are aimed at a screen.

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
What a dumb as fuck article.

1) I thought the dumb "money lost to piracy" argument had died about a decade ago, nice to see it's still around and dumb as ever.
2) What they are describing is in no way piracy.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
On one hand, Netflix can go against users who share their $10.99/month with family members outside of their household, and close their accounts, losing money in the process.

Or they can ignore the problem and not shoot themselves in the foot.

It's a catch-22 situation but I'm glad Netflix is making the more sensible choice these days.

Nov 8, 2017
Since I don't have Netflix, my brother logged into his own Netflix account on my TV when visiting, then said I could use his account after he'd gone home, since his account allowed use on multiple devices simultaneously.

I had no idea that this was regarded as piracy.

That said, I never used it anyway; I got better things to do than watch Netflix.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
That's not piracy and in the grand scheme of things $192m is not that much for Netflix to lose when you consider all the people that are account sharing will probably keep their subscriptions going longer than they normally would because they're sharing it.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I do expect Netflix to crack down on this eventually. The business isn't sustainable as is, so they need to do more things to increase revenue.
As is, they just had their best year ever with over 1 billion net income with their current model, would really love to know which part of this business is unsustainable!

Shared accounts makes their service affordable even in third world countries, which have been a huge part of their growth in recent years. If anything, it's making Netflix more tempting than piracy for a lot of a lot of people.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Since when is account sharing, which Netflix themselves facilitates with sub-accounts you can access across the country, considered "piracy"?
I think it's stupid to call account-sharing "piracy". That's normally not what that term means.
This is the dumbest shit I've read today. I pay for the top streaming package, and it allows me to have multiple screens running Netflix. Are they expecting all 4 screens to be in use by me simultaneously?

lucas_hood

Mar 20, 2018
I got Netflix and Hulu and prime . With a firestick for everything else to stream. I got everything I need.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I thought they were going to say that there was a rise in capture devices pirating Netflix exclusive series and movies but instead I see they are clutching straws.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
a) It's not money lost if they were never gonna own an account in the first place

b) But yes, I share my Netflix account with my brother, sister and dad lmao

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I share my Amazon Prime with my boyfriend, and he shares his Netflix with me. Both offer sharing as a service, so I'm not sure why is it calling piracy here.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i have the two user netflix plan, and three other people very regularly use the service. they have their own profile on the front screen and none of them live in my house

i've always thought that as big as netflix is, they still lose out on a huge amount of revenue by being this relaxed

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I called Netflix a couple of years ago to ask how to pay for 2 accounts on the same card when I wanted to by my mom a subscription. They told me to just put her on my existing account even though we live in different cities... So not piracy

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Never paid a single month of any subscription. Been leeching off my dad's Netflix forever and Prime is so easy to get for free.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix and Prime are the only ones I pay for; everything else is account shared. I wouldn't consider that piracy though.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
One day they'll ruin Netflix, then it'll become just like cable, and then another company with the old Netflix value will appear and the cycle will start anew.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
As is, they just had their best year ever with over 1 billion net income with their current model, would really love to know which part of this business is unsustainable!

Netflix took out $3 billion in long term debt securities last year.

Including said securities Netflix has been running deeply in the red for a while, and worryingly, spending it on operating costs (obtaining content licenses) rather than capital investment.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Did I read this wrong, or is this article counting people logging into someone else's paid account as piracy?

If so; what?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Did I read this wrong, or is this article counting people logging into someone else's paid account as piracy?

If so; what?

Netflix's terms for shared accounts say you can only do it with other people resident in your household.

You are in breach of the terms by doing otherwise and don't really have any more copyright permission to view the content than torrenting it.

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017
I use my sisters Netflix, if i didnt use hers i wouldnt pay for it since i dont care much about most of the content there. only watch it a few times a month. She uses my prime video, and my Amazon account for free shipping.

Streaming services are just going to lose more and more money everytime a new one pops up. Who really want to pay for 10 of them when they can just pay for 1 or 2 and share them with others and vice versa. and everytime a new one comes along Netflix loses more content.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They sell you 4 streams at a time to members of the same household. It's pretty clear in the T&Cs.

They already increase prices every year.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm not entirely sure they are losing anything, most people I know that share accounts do it because they don't want to pay so much alone... and they likely wouldn't

At some point I'm not going to pay for a million scattered accounts to watch shit. I'm just not going to watch shit.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Netflix's terms for shared accounts say you can only do it with other people resident in your household.

You are in breach of the terms by doing otherwise and don't really have any more copyright permission to view the content than torrenting it.
Is that so? Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I just find it hard to believe that falls under the "piracy" territory, and the definition is being contorted for this narrative.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I think I'm confused about what they think piracy is.
My wife and I each have a profile inside the Netflix account that they let us create.
Why are they bitching about one of the features they gave its users. Are they expecting each member of a household to pay for their own account. Because that is horse shit that they can shovel right up their greedy asses.

No, this is about sharing the account outside of the household.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only reason I pirate movies and shows is the stuff I want is not on my region's Netflix, or has staggered release due to outdated broadcast schemes. What Netflix says here, is not piracy but a feature they themselves monetize. What the hell....

ResetEra might as well just ban discussion of piracy if people are going to get banned for posts like this. Unless it's just supposed to be a circlejerk of how piracy is bad.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
They already increase prices every year.

By significantly less than they increase spending every year for the last few years.

Netflix needs to reach a $30 ARPU in the next few years to approach breakeven. Or radically increase subscriptions in all territories when they're beginning to reach saturation point in many, so the only way to do that will be to change business model.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised the streaming services don't come down harder on account sharing. I pay for Fios, Hulu and Netflix, however I use my parent's HBO account to access HBO go. There has gotta be a way to limit my ability as someone who lives 3 hours away from my parents to use HBO Go on my TV. But HBO lets me do it, so I do.

I just wouldn't use HBO if they got rid of my access so there is some credence to the idea that everyone who mooches wouldn't necessarily get their own subscription if they lost access to their mooching account.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ResetEra might as well just ban discussion of piracy if people are going to get banned for posts like this. Unless it's just supposed to be a circlejerk of how piracy is bad.

Well I mean, you obviously shouldn't say "Hey I pirate content" at all on here even though I can see his point in already running shows not being on there week by week and people watching fansubs for animes.