• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a problem. If I search for horror, I want all the horror film series that are available to come up.
Categories > Horror > choose movie
Forget about that, what I hate the most is they took off the user rating, now it takes me at least 30min to find out if the movie is shit or not.
They invented something called the Internet since then, which contains reviews of most movies and TV shows.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i agree that the selection on netflix is poor, especially if you're most interested in movies, which is why i canceled my subscription, but i don't see how they're lying anymore than any other company trying to make their product seem more appealing.

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
original.gif

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
At least you're not accusing them of fraud and asking to call me Netflix at home.

That said, this might be the single most inane thing to be ranting about on the internet that I have read all year.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Not sure I'd say Netflix is lying about the volume of content but I no longer subscribe because there is nothing on it I want to watch.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
The stars you saw weren't an average user rating. They were a guess at what you might rate a movie based on what you have rated previously and how others rated that movie who also rated your previous stuff. What you saw as a 3.5 I might have seen as 4.5 or 1.5 in the UI.

The current system is basically the same. Your conception is just confirmation bias.
There were literal user ratings. If you clicked on details you would see reviews by real people, and could quickly tell if it was complete shit.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forget about that, what I hate the most is they took off the user rating, now it takes me at least 30min to find out if the movie is shit or not.
Just because some people don't like it doesn't mean you won't. I've played plenty of shut rated games I liked and good rated games I thought were shit. Same goes for movies and TV shows.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Its the algorithm. I once logged into my cousins Netflix and the content was shocking different. I think it's a fail that Netflix creates a bubble for you,

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Bird Box. It was terrible.

Spending $100 million on a Scorsese film is pointless and I'd wager it's going to be a rotten egg.

That's another problem Netflix has. They spend way too much money on individual projects or works like Friends ($100 million), The Irishman ($100 million), Cloverfield Pardox ($50 million).

For every great film or series there are 3 or 4 stinkers.
Just like every channel and every studio and every medium in the history of entertainment

Why would Netflix be any different?

OP
OP
Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
That's just true of content in general.

There is tonnes of great content on Netflix. Between Narcos, Mindhunter, Master of None, Glow and films like Beasts of No Nation, Okja, Annihilation, Roma, and Scorsese's $140 epic film incoming, there's plenty of good shit.

Why would you bet on Scorsese's long gestating mob epic being bad?

That's just the way it goes. You give a legendary filmmmaker a massive budget and full creative control and they churn out a bad film.

Great films come from adversity and compromise. In the past, directors with limited budgets had to find creative solutions to fulfill their vision. Now, Scorsese has full day, and a huge budget. Like George Lucas.

OP
OP
Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Okay, are you legitimately trolling now? Or are you just taking the piss?

Scorsese is one of the best directors who's ever lived, a man who's passion for cinema and directing is as high as it ever was. A man who, for this film, has gotten Pacino, DeNiro, Keitel and Pesci together in a film... and Pesci was retired, dude wasn't coming back unless there was something great there. And the project in question? It's a passion project for Scorsese, one which he got had full creative control over.

And you're sleeping on it? Throwing actual shade no less.

Rotten egg... fucking Hell, this forum attracts the fucking worst of the fucking worst sometimes.

I'm the worst of the worst? The last forum had a former mod who ended up being a pedophile. Keep things in perspective, please.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
There were literal user ratings. If you clicked on details you would see reviews by real people, and could quickly tell if it was complete shit.

Ratings by real people? I don't think Netflix did this. Ar least not on the UI I was using there wasn't a way to submit a rating other than a star score.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The problem is OP is viewing Netflix like a Blockbuster location, with physical aisles for each of the genres. Yes, in that case it would be over-inflating the size of your library, having copies of the same movie over and over in multiple aisles. But your Blockbuster didn't have hundreds of aisles for specific sub-genres, and it didn't have the ability for a single movie to quantum-exist in multiple aisles.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They already have more content (that I like) than I can watch in two lifetimes, how can people not find a show they want to see, shit is overwhelming.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
The lie is implicit.

Netflix advertises that it has a robust collection, but I disagree.

I think it's pretty bare-boned, but it displays rows upon rows of the same stuff but in different categories.

Idiotic response. You are entitled to no more than $8 a month worth of content. Netflix provides it. Purchase your horror content elsewhere if you don't enjoy the selection.

"Taco Bell fucking lies. Their steak is not as tender and flavorful as implied in advertising."

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I know everyone is piling on the OP but I think the point he's trying to make has been obscured in pedantic arguments around Netflix's UI. In the last few years Netflix has slowly pruned a lot of its catalog titles due to increasing licensing costs and competition from movie studios developing their own platforms, and the new business model for Netflix has become developing its own content. That actually results in fewer choices for the Netflix consumer, particularly those who are still looking for catalog titles, and they will be forced to look at other services.

I often have this problem where I can find one or two movies that might interest me, but not the one I actually want to watch (let's say, Martin Scorsese's "King of Comedy"), so I am forced to go elsewhere. As I understand it Netflix's browsing data guides a lot of business decisions, and I believe that the majority of people on Netflix rarely watch feature length films and tend to consume only the TV series. It's even in the OP's post - he couldn't find the movie he was looking for, so he just rewatched the "Maniac" series. So Netflix will continue to focus on those and you will never have anything that event resembles a movie rental store from 15 years ago.

OP
OP
Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Idiotic response. You are entitled to no more than $8 a month worth of content. Netflix provides it. Purchase your horror content elsewhere if you don't enjoy the selection.

"Taco Bell fucking lies. Their steak is not as tender and flavorful as implied in advertising."

Translation: "everybody lies about what they're selling and as long as it's relatively cheap you have no room to complain."

Also, Netflix costs more than $8 bucks for me. Where do you live?

Oct 27, 2017
?? The stars are from user ratings and they are not misleading in anyway. I use to see if the movie is at least 3.5 then I would watch it and it will be fine movie. Now the matching system is so bad that almost 90% of the movies I watch are bad. If it doesn't work for you then it doesn't mean it is misleading.
Huh? The stars were user ratings, so someone else could waste time establishing that the movie/show was shit so you wouldn't waste yours. They removed the star system cause low ranking things obviously weren't going to get more views cause it's established that they're terrible.

I don't even know what a match percentage really means in current Netflix.

As for the OP, lets say for the sake of argument, that Netflix considers Infinity War a 1) Superhero Movie and 2) Action Movie. You're saying it's not both and it has to fall into just one category? That, in itself is weird. Of course there's overlaps.
These have been addressed by collige here:
AFAIK, there was never a rating system, the stars just did the same thing as the match % except more misleading.

but it's worth re-emphasising this. It's absolutely incorrect that the star-ratings were user ratings, and the fact that people thought this is why the new system is far superior to the old system; people completely misunderstood (and still don't understand) what the stars meant. In a simplified way, the star ratings previously were what Netflix thought you would think of a show or movie based on how you've rated other things you've watched, what you've watched, and what other users with similar taste think. That so many people thought the stars were reflective of Netflix users' opinion of the show or movie is why it was such a terrible system.

This is just how the matched percentage display works at the moment, except not only is it much clearer what it means but it boils things down to the binary choice of whether you liked it or disliked it (so people don't give a three out of five to something they think is good but not a masterpiece, only to spend much more time watching items they consider three out of five and throwing off the entire algorithm).

The star ratings which showed previously differed depending on whose Netflix it was. Breaking Bad might have showed as 5 of 5 stars to me because of what I watched and how I rated things, but it might show up as 2 of 5 stars on your Netflix account because you've an entirely different taste.

Netflix previously had a review section, and this added to the confusion over what the stars were, because individual reviews (by those who chose to make them) were displayed with star ratings over review, but this was hidden within the menus and very infrequently used (and didn't reflect what you saw as the star rating).

EDIT: See for reference: https://www.businessinsider.com/why-netflix-replaced-its-5-star-rating-system-2017-4?r=US&IR=T

Netflix's star ratings were personalized, and had been from the start. That means when you saw a movie on Netflix rated 4 stars, that didn't mean the average of all ratings was 4 stars. Instead, it meant that Netflix thought you'd rate the movie 4 stars, based on your habits (and other people's ratings). But many people didn't get that.

"That's not the way people are used to using star ratings on e-commerce ratings" Johnson said. Take Amazon, for instance. "In those contexts, those star ratings are an average." People assumed Netflix was the same.

EDIT:
Ratings by real people? I don't think Netflix did this. Ar least not on the UI I was using there wasn't a way to submit a rating other than a star score.
Netflix had a review section where you could submit a review and a star rating associated with the review that could be visible, but this didn't appear unless you went into the item and went to the review section. This isn't what most people mean when they talk about the star ratings that appeared in the UI though, which as you point out weren't ratings by real people.

EDIT 2: It's also worth noting this is why the impression of Netflix lying about their content volume likely exists. As mentioned the categories generated are based on your viewing habits, but also the content that appears within those categories is generated based on your ratings and viewing habits. You don't see everything that would be marked within those categories, only those its recommendation algorithm thinks you'd be most interested in. A very clear example of this is in how you don't see items with under a 50% match in your feed.

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone is piling on the OP but I think the point he's trying to make has been obscured in pedantic arguments around Netflix's UI. In the last few years Netflix has slowly pruned a lot of its catalog titles due to increasing licensing costs and competition from movie studios developing their own platforms, and the new business model for Netflix has become developing its own content. That actually results in fewer choices for the Netflix consumer, particularly those who are still looking for catalog titles, and they will be forced to look at other services.

I often have this problem where I can find one or two movies that might interest me, but not the one I actually want to watch (let's say, Martin Scorsese's "King of Comedy"), so I am forced to go elsewhere. As I understand it Netflix's browsing data guides a lot of business decisions, and I believe that the majority of people on Netflix rarely watch feature length films and tend to consume only the TV series. It's even in the OP's post - he couldn't find the movie he was looking for, so he just rewatched the "Maniac" series. So Netflix will continue to focus on those and you will never have anything that event resembles a movie rental store from 15 years ago.
This shouldn't be news to anyone. Netflix switched to creating their own content like 5+ years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
The lie is implicit.

Netflix advertises that it has a robust collection, but I disagree.

I think it's pretty bare-boned, but it displays rows upon rows of the same stuff but in different categories.

The content they have goes beyond those rows you know. The rows just serve as a way to quickly get you into content with needing to pull up the search box

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix's sub generas are a load of hot trash. You used to be able to just look through an entire genera easily but the removed that to instead have like 10+ sub generas for a single genera. This really hurts their shrinking horror selection which is the main reason I'm watching for.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
It's not lying. The sub genres are just created to give you an idea of what a movie is tagged in. A thriller, psychological thriller, and horror movie could all 3 house the same film. Netflix builds the suggestions in each section around what you watch. Sure the interface sucks, and the fact that it doesn't show you everything sucks, but that doesn't mean it lacks content. Just go to one of the websites that allows you to look into each genre and look at that, as it will show all the content.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
That's a problem. If I search for horror, I want all the horror film series that are available to come up.

I think i can understand what you mean. This sorting of categories is kind of suggesting that there is a sheer amount of content. Id also see a a movie or similar wrong categorized than this mess. I think amazon and maxdome is doing the same.

So i think its not a lie but maybe misleading. Sure its intentionally and not to do us a service.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Translation: "everybody lies about what they're selling and as long as it's relatively cheap you have no room to complain."

Also, Netflix costs more than $8 bucks for me. Where do you live?

That's the US price. Also, my point was that like Netflix - Taco Bell is not lying to you about the quality of their beef, you are an entitled idiot if you you are expecting USDA Prime on their $3 nacho plate just because they stated their steak is tender in advertising.