• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'll admit I have not watched this and it may be addressed, but he's 16 which I would call teenager/young adult and not kid. Kid to me implies like 7 to 12 years old.
Watch the video.

The point is, Netflix is to blame. Not the 16 year old. They call the shots, they spend the money. Not the individual 16 year old kid. Also you would be delusional to think a 16 year old kid should take the brunt of attention and blame when its incredibly rare that 16 year olds have complex ideas about class structure, when it is Netflix that is pushing this show.

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's actually sounds worse, people that do daily temp work are usually one step from disaster. There is a reason people look for a "Steady" job
Yeah if someone is this desperate that doesn't make it any better. Especially because if this is a "prank" clearly someone is getting out of this disappointed. Or they're at least tricked into believing they should be disappointed which is still shitty.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if someone is this desperate that doesn't make it any better. Especially because if this is a "prank" clearly someone is getting out of this disappointed. Or they're at least tricked into believing they should be disappointed which is still shitty.

Is there any indication on what type of pranks happen on the show? Would you say something like the Carbinaro show is "shitty"?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any indication on what type of pranks happen on the show? Would you say something like the Carbinaro show is "shitty"?
Don't know what that show is, but yeah it is shitty if the "prank" is getting someone without a job to think they have a shot at getting a legitimate occupation as with the OP's topic.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to repost what i wrote in the initial thread about this shit.
-----------
Just another symptom of internet bullying culture.

No you're probably saying to yourself. "Shy, it's all fake, you dummy. Stop being a big dummy" But that's not the point. It's the very premise itself, that's offensive.

I'd like to recommend two episode of my favourite (and now defunct) podcast about this subject.

Please please, give these a listen (and to the podcast as a whole, if you like em)

They really, really needed to explain that this was a oddjobs gig up front. What a disaster from their media team.
Which doesn't make it any better. It's still disgusting.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which doesn't make it any better. It's still disgusting.
It really does. Advertising a 1 day only gig job, having it be a prank show where that person gets paid and almost certainly is getting paid extra in order to get them to sign for the use of their likeness/footage is not unethical in the slightest. Someone is still getting paid (and probably getting paid extra) without the issues that come with someone planning their life around a fake fulltime job.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Not sure if it is good idea since it sounds like it comes from a black mirror episode, but i think it is not good idea. And when i say think, i do think literally and that says something.

The only way it works is if it is a fake prank which is actually staged

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
lol they got caught lying about their fake reality show set up. Usually you just assume there is some editing and whatever else going on, but using such a shitty premise in your description was stupid. Curious if the show will or was always going to mention these people knew it was a one day thing.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's almost like no one on the internet has ever watched a prank show before. They frequently have people featured that clearly are there for a quick job.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really does. Advertising a 1 day only gig job, having it be a prank show where that person gets paid and almost certainly is getting paid extra in order to get them to sign for the use of their likeness/footage is not unethical in the slightest. Someone is still getting paid (and probably getting paid extra) without the issues that come with someone planning their life around a fake fulltime job.
Nah. It's still bad. As Slayven has pointed out repeatedly in this thread.

Just because they're getting paid, doesn't mean they should be treated like shit.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Some of you are in such a rush to advocate for the show's participants before hearing a word out of a single one of their mouths. Why? How about you watch a single second of the show before rushing to judgement.

Give me a break with all this talk of people being bullied or treated like shit. How do you know these people weren't ecstatic about the payday and appearing on a Netflix show?

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela

if they're that angry then they won't consent to their faces being on camera and their footage won't air. You need written consent to show footage of someone on TV. Removing their agency because you disagree with their choices isn't cool.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
if they're that angry then they won't consent to their faces being on camera and their footage won't air. You need written consent to show footage of someone on TV. Removing their agency because you disagree with their choices isn't cool.
Not airing them doesn't make it magically not happen, which is still an issue. A "prank" involving getting someone to falsely think they got a job still sounds pretty bad no matter how you slice it.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Man, some of y'all have clearly never been in a desperate situation where you were taking one day temp jobs just to get by.

I have been. Hell, I remember the first one I got. I knew that one days pay wasn't going to be enough to cover my food for the week, let alone my rent, but I desperately hoped that one day work could turn into something more. I practiced the night before asking for references. I created a pitch. "Tell your friends." When I got there, I sat in the parking lot and cried out of both fear and gratitude.

And if all that would have ended with me getting pranked for a fucking tv show? Jesus christ, I never would have recovered.

So fuck shows like this and anyone that thinks they're funny.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Whilst I agree the initial prospect of the show was in bad taste, the insane reaction blindly ignored that these shows are nearly always completely fake and are made up of 90% actors.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Whilst I agree the initial prospect of the show was in bad taste, the insane reaction blindly ignored that these shows are nearly always completely fake and are made up of 90% actors.
people react this way because of all the youtube """prank"""" videos which are actually just assault on unsuspecting people.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its like hiring someone to come into the office to touch up some images and its just 1 day job, but he ended up washing toilet instead as a prank.

Not everyone takes it well being the pranked.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming they knew it was a one day job, and they got a one day job...wtf is the issue here? Please explain this to me.

Edit: OK I saw pirateluigi's post. I get it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'm astounded that anyone thinks this acceptable, one day be damned. These people are going for this job because they need a job. This isn't a modern Punk'd!

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
It's almost like no one on the internet has ever watched a prank show before.

This is what surprised me the most about the reaction. The format isn't that old. Maybe people are only familiar with lame youtube pranks.

Still, not as evil as some people assumed.

Jesus Christ, it's not "evil" at all. Dumb, sure, prank shows are low tier entertainment, but come on.

A "prank" involving getting someone to falsely think they got a job still sounds pretty bad no matter how you slice it.

No one thinks they are getting an ongoing job. The whole reason Netflix has put out this statement what to correct that false assumption.

From the way Netflix described it, it was a show about mocking people struggling to find work and psychologicaly beating then when they were down.

Nothing in the statement Netflix put out suggests anything of the sort.

"First day on the job" does suggest more than one day of work, but there is nothing about "mocking people struggling to find work" (or anything about "people struggling to find work" at all) and nothing about "psychologically beating" anyone. Anything other than people starting a new job being subjected to a scary prank is just projection.

What this thread has taught me is that if you tell someone you are looking for work, they'll automatically think of you as a victim, as some kind of hopeless loser struggling to get by. Someone in need of protection from big bad companies rather than their own shitty condescension.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Nothing in the statement Netflix put out suggests anything of the sort.

"First day on the job" does suggest more than one day of work, but there is nothing about "mocking people struggling to find work" (or anything about "people struggling to find work" at all) and nothing about "psychologically beating" anyone. Anything other than people starting a new job being subjected to a scary prank is just projection.

What this thread has taught me is that if you tell someone you are looking for work, they'll automatically think of you as a victim, as some kind of hopeless loser struggling to get by. Someone in need of protection from big bad companies rather than their own shitty condescension.

Yeah you're right actually. Dumb poor people only have themselves to blame. There is no reason besides "their own shitty condescension" that people are struggling for jobs or to make ends meet.

None whastoever.

And I'm just projecting. I'm not using an extremely basic level of human empathy to empathize with how people in shitty situations would feel not having money to pay bills or for food. Not doing that at all. Just projecting.

Actually, you know what, they should just put on their job helmets, squeeze into the job cannon and fire off into job land where jobs grow on jobbies.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
"their own shitty condescension" .

I'm referring to the condescension shown by those criticizing Netflix, assuming that people looking for work (or willing to take on a one day gig), people like me, are hopeless losers in "shitty situations".

Imagining that Netflix is "mocking people struggling to find work" and inventing scenarios where people being pranked are "psychologically beaten" doesn't actually help anyone.

The original thread had someone hoping that a teenage boy would be physically assaulted, and yet Netflix are the bad guys.

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm referring to the condescension shown by those criticizing Netflix, assuming that people looking for work (or willing to take on a one day gig), people like me, are hopeless losers in "shitty situations".
I don't think that about you, or anyone else (including me) in that situation.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Oh. I assumed your situation was different so I apologise for what I infered about you.

But look, no one here thinks you're a hopeless loser.

People were angry about the intitial pitch because we have empathy for that situation. I've been unemployed for a short time (only about a month) and it was a very confidence killing situation to be in.

The job market is simply shit. There's not enough jobs to go round and what jobs are available are rarely good enough to live on.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Netflix to Buzzfeed: Promote our tame new prank show with an artificial story about a backlash. Here are three or four tweets of people complaining in cliched ways, be sure to embed that. Now quick, defend the show, other people! Hey, what do you know, now suddenly people have heard of this thing.
This can't be said enough, haha. The faux-outrage culture is real.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When I first heard the premise I thought this was super shitty and taking advantage of people desperate for work... I was surprised Netflix would be so tone deaf to buy it / greenlight it / make it. But then reading the descriptions since, I think it's much less edgy than they were originally describing it as and sounds like a typical staged "undercover" show.

I'd bet the mixed messaging was part of the promotion all along to make people assume it's not staged like every other "reality" show.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the ire in this thread is really misplaced. It's a prank show on people who signed up for a day's worth of work. They're probably expecting to go into a not great gig and left being on a Netflix show. I obviously can't confirm this but I'm sure Netflix paid them better than the day's worth of work would, too.

Deleted member 39450

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
And I'm just projecting. I'm not using an extremely basic level of human empathy to empathize with how people in shitty situations would feel not having money to pay bills or for food. Not doing that at all. Just projecting.

Actually, you know what, they should just put on their job helmets, squeeze into the job cannon and fire off into job land where jobs grow on jobbies.

Well yeah, you are projecting here. You're assuming that someone taking a one-day gig is not employed elsewhere and looking for a longer-term position.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is just sounding like a lame version of that one magician prank show since he clearly hired people for gigs

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I always figured these types of prank shows were all faked.
Also, do we know if these people are getting paid for their time? I have a feeling they might be.

Last edited: