• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Disney have the rights to this in the United States?

I assume thats why US and Canada didn't get this.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YAAAASSSS

It's so difficult to watch these movies due to then being tied up in all manner of red tape, legislation and distribution that it simply puts you off even attempting to think about them. Thank god for Netflix for cutting right through that. Finally will be able to catch up on some of the more recent stuff.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
HBO has the rights for Canada too? Cause they don't do their streaming service in Canada, it goes through crave and Bell

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
People's entitlement is crazy. The existing NowTV is ludicrously underpriced, and that you can have the option of lower quality streams for less money is... bad? Even when Netflix literally does exactly the same thing?

Entitlement my arse.

Netflix and Prime gave HD and in some cases 4k as standard with the sub.

I pay more for my Now TV movie pass than Netflix. For the price I'm paying, I don't expect to pay £3 more for a "TV boost" to get the stream in HD. This is shoud be a standard feature.

Entitlement? Nah. I just don't like getting ripped off.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Entitlement my arse.

Netflix and Prime gave HD and in some cases 4k as standard with the sub.

I pay more for my Now TV movie pass than Netflix. For the price I'm paying, I don't expect to pay £3 more for a "TV boost" to get the stream in HD. This is shoud be a standard feature.

Entitlement? Nah. I just don't like getting ripped off.

Netflix don't give HD as standard (indeed, they don't even give 720p as standard, it's SD only). You're getting ripped off if you're paying more for a Now TV movie pass than Netflix, despite the fact Now TV should be more expensive as it has much much and newer content on it than Netflix does.

There's some licensing red tape around it as Sentai Filmworks got the tights to it.
It's not really licensing red tape, so much that Ghibli doesn't actually control the rights to that film to begin with, as they were (and this greatly simplifying the situation, mind you) effectively a hired gun for the film's production company that controls all the rights to the property that it's based upon. It's not up to them how it gets licensed out, though GKIDS does own the theatrical rights to it in the US along with the rest of Ghibli catalog.

Oct 28, 2017
Since it's outside the US and assuming they don't redub it, I'm guessing we're getting the StudioCanal English dub of Arrietty (with Tom Holland and Saoirse Ronan)?
I'd be mad if we end up with the Disney dub.

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty great news. I was really disappointed to find out that the gkids announcement last year was only for US & Canada.

personally I would have liked to be able to own digital copies for myself, but I won't complain as long as they are available on Netflix

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I will finally have to watch TALES FROM THE EARTHSEA.
People, watch them all, except maybe Ocean Waves and My neighbors the Yamadas.
Ocean Waves is good. It's better than Tales from Earthsea, unless you're <15 years old or something.

Interesting that no one mentioned Mononoke yet.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screen_Shot_2017-11-10_at_10.36.15_AM.png

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, I've been wanting to rewatch a lot of Ghibli movies but I only own them on dvd and I've never upgraded to the blu-rays. This is perfect.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. Is. Great. News.

My kid loves Totoro so can't wait to delve into the kid friendly stuff in here further :)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Only Yesterday is in my Top 3 Ghibli movies (along with Kiki & Mononoke) so if you haven't seen it yet, definitely give it a shot.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Grave of the Fireflies can stay off the service for all I care. Don't want a child to click on that movie by mistake, especially not mine. Heck. My wife had to walk away from that movie. It's a good movie but it's unwatchable.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Well, as someone outside the US, who haven't watched any of these, this immediately has my attention.

If you had to start with one to see what it's all about, which one would you start with? I'm leaning towards Spirited Away" but I'm open to suggestions.