• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Please god Netflix leave those English dubs alone, those were my fucking childhood...

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
https://deadline.com/2020/01/netflix-adding-studio-ghibli-animated-features-1202835389/

Netflix will be adding 21 feature films from famed Japanese art house Studio Ghibli beginning February 1. Among the titles that will be available outside the U.S., Canada and Japan are My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Arrietty, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea and When Marnie Was There. The deal was made with Studio Ghibli's distribution partner Wild Bunch International, as part of Netflix's efforts to grow its animated library.

For the first time ever, this catalogue of Studio Ghibli films will be subtitled in 28 languages, and dubbed in up to 20.

Rollout:

February 1, 2020:
Castle in the Sky (1986)
My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
Only Yesterday (1991)
Porco Rosso (1992)
Ocean Waves (1993)
Tales From Earthsea (2006)

March 1, 2020:
Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind (1984)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
My Neighbors The Yamadas (1999)
Spirited Away (2001)
The Cat Returns (2002)
Arrietty (2010)
The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

April 1, 2020:
Pom Poko (1994)
Whisper Of The Heart (1995)
Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea (2008)
From Up On Poppy Hill (2011)
The Wind Rises (2013)
When Marnie Was There (2014)

Porco Rosso remains not only one of the best animated films of all time but the best films of all time. Say what you want about English dubs but Michael Keaton is insanely good as Porco.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I will finally have to watch TALES FROM THE EARTHSEA.
People, watch them all, except maybe Ocean Waves and My neighbors the Yamadas.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
Porco Rosso remains not only one of the best animated films of all time but the best films of all time. Say what you want about English dubs but Michael Keaton is insanely good as Porco.
Sounds like I need to rewatch it but Porco Rosso is one of the lows from the Ghibli library from what I remember, although not as bad as Earthsea. That said I'm looking forward to having Spirited Away, Kiki, Totoro, Nausicaä and Princess Mononoke at my fingertips, the others I'm sure I'll watch but those five will be watched numerous times whenever I get the urge.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Sounds like I need to rewatch it but Porco Rosso is one of the lows from the Ghibli library from what I remember, although not as bad as Earthsea. That said I'm looking forward to having Spirited Away, Kiki, Totoro, Nausicaä and Princess Mononoke at my fingertips, the others I'm sure I'll watch but those five will be watched numerous times whenever I get the urge.
Nah, Porco Rosso is easily top five.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
Guess I will finally have to watch TALES FROM THE EARTHSEA.
People, watch them all, except maybe Ocean Waves and My neighbors the Yamadas.
Ocean Waves should be fine with the romantic elements doing enough to keep people's attention but I agree My Neighbours the Yamadas is for sure very centred on Japanese comedy and may be hard for some people to make it through.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Porco Rosso is great. Its extremely indulgent in a way Miyazaki's other movies aren't. Except maybe the wind rises though thats a bit more self critical compered to Porco Rosso which is pure escapist fantasy.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I was thinking of cancelling my subscription after Bojack but I probably won't now. Can't wait to see the ones I've missed.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent additions, was planning to check out many of them that I have not seen plus rewatching some I already watched. Netflix keeps on delivering.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Lol.......no. I'm not paying extra for a basic requirement.

Even more happy that these films are on Netflix now.

Thanks for info.

People's entitlement is crazy. The existing NowTV is ludicrously underpriced, and that you can have the option of lower quality streams for less money is... bad? Even when Netflix literally does exactly the same thing?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
YES! While I have my favourites on bluray already I really want to have a marathon of all the films and especially quite a few I've yet to see. Amazing. Netflix is by far the best streaming service in terms of quality for me, it's affordable, and wow, the perfect place to have these films.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Yooooo, this is amazing. Great timing too as I was thinking of cancelling my Netflix, and I was going to buy a ticket to an all-night Ghibli marathon at a local cinema.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
They are going to re-dub them it seems. So the iconic dubs in each language might get lost. I just hope that it means that they will only dub in those languages that didn't have one yet.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Europe wins for once. So what are the best ones in that first batch? My Neighbor Totoro & Castle in the Sky are the most well known there, any more? Or should I just watch them all

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Great news, that's a fantastic acquisition for the service. I have four Ghiblis in my Blu-ray collection but excited to see the rest in HD, particularly the ones I've not seen before such as Porco Rosso, Nausicaa. I was underwhelmed by Princess Mononoke on first watch so I'm looking forward to giving that a second chance.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
That March rollout though, with Nausicaa, Mononoke, Spirited Away and Kaguya on the same day.... stunning

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Studio Ghibli for allowing the rights to be fragmented like this internationally. Fuck 'em.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It's gonna be so good

although I find it super weird Disney didn't do this since they ownphysical publishing rights. Would of thought they'd want more material on Disney+