• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
This isn't surprising to me. The spending is ensure they have as much original content as possible before competitors gain a foot in the market which this year is going to have two more HBO Max and Peacock. It was pretty much projected since last year. The content they have far exceeds competition by far and I've used variety of current existing ones.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I want another season (or two) of American Vandal. Like how the fuck do they cancel that show?

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
So much content. Even if you remove all of the filler there's 3x the amount of shows I want to see on Netflix than all of the other streaming apps combined.

I finished Mandalorian and Simpsons S2-S7 and that's it on Disney+.

Yes, it's shocking that Disney+ doesn't have the same amount of original content as Netflix. After all, the service has been live for a whole 2 months, and netflix has had 8 years, but that doesn' t matter!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yes, it's shocking that Disney+ doesn't have the same amount of original content as Netflix. After all, the service has been live for a whole 2 months, and netflix has had 8 years, but that doesn' t matter!

I'm talking about the rate of new content. Netflix has like 5 things coming out this month and Disney+ is crickets.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it is. Because Disney is a massive media empire and the streaming service was planned for years ahead of time.

b62e998380.png

a31e417795.png

Hmm.

eb525c4145.png

hmmm

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I wonder what Amazon is going to be spending.

Also insofar as Netflix is concerned, their production budget definitely shows in their darlings, like Stranger Things and Lost in Space (a huge upgrade in S2). On that note, somehow, somehow both Altered Carbon and The Witcher came away feeling smaller, more constricted than they should have for the world their stories are supposed to inhabit.

I hope they can rectify it for The Witcher at least, given it will be getting a second season at least.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what Amazon is going to be spending.

Also insofar as Netflix is concerned, their production budget definitely shows in their darlings, like Stranger Things and Lost in Space (a huge upgrade in S2). On that note, somehow, somehow both Altered Carbon and The Witcher came away feeling smaller, more constricted than they should have for the world their stories are supposed to inhabit.

I hope they can rectify it for The Witcher at least, given it will be getting a second season at least.
Altered Carbon was pretty damn expensive though. As for S2 of that show we'll know soon enough.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017

Disney and Netflix's situations aren't really comparible. Netflix was a DVD delivery service that had no pipeline for creating original content even after it started offering a streaming service. Disney is entering a crowded marketplace having been a producer of content for decades. It's not just Disney, Netflix produces more content than nearly everyone (as they are focused primarily on streaming while other networks and distributors have to worry about wide theatrical releases or broadcast, Netflix only does that for things they think will get awards).

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Disney and Netflix's situations aren't really comparible. Netflix was a DVD delivery service that had no pipeline for creating original content even after it started offering a streaming service. Disney is entering a crowded marketplace having been a producer of content for decades. It's not just Disney, Netflix produces more content than nearly everyone (as they are focused primarily on streaming while other networks and distributors have to worry about wide theatrical releases or broadcast, Netflix only does that for things they think will get awards).

Then we shouldn't compare them.

BigGreenMat

Nov 2, 2017
I am really glad to see the OA love in here. One of the most unique and spellbinding shows of the last couple decades.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Is there a reason you are comparing Netflix in its startup days when it was pioneering a new market with a massive media empire in an established market?

There's 5 things I'm interest in that are dropping on netflix in january. No idea what that screenshot is, a list of all content in 2020?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Except Netflix has nearly 200 million subscribers that pay on average around $100/year I'm guessing on average globally. That's $20 billion a year. They have so much more new content than other services and that's what they need to do to keep dominant over D+ and HBO Max's gigantic backlog.

Once they weather that and reduce new investments they'll make tons of profit.

Content isn't their only cost. Netflix spent $3 billion on marketing for example.

Netflix had a similar amount of subscribers last year but negative $4 billion in free cash.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a reason you are comparing Netflix in its startup days when it was pioneering a new market with a massive media empire in an established market?

There's 5 things I'm interest in that are dropping on netflix in january. No idea what that screenshot is, a list of all content in 2020?

88d2210640.png

Hmmmm.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Content isn't their only cost. Netflix spent $3 billion on marketing for example.

Netflix had a similar amount of subscribers last year but negative $4 billion in free cash.

Ah right. They also pay ridiculous amounts of money for stuff like the office.

I think when push comes to shove they'll make a profit, or the stock will tank and they'll get bought out.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disney doesn't need new shows as they have basically one of the biggest, most popular back catalogs of film and TV available right now. Netflix, meanwhile, was built on the back of a similarly vast catalog but is now bleeding content due to everyone wanting to start their own Netflix competitor now, so they're blowing shitloads of money on new shows to fill the space.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Oh, and Love, Death and Robots S2 please.

Having watched Levius, I consider that to be the pinnacle of 3D anime animation (as opposed to Baki's Netflix entry).
I just can't enjoy most of their output seeing how it treats the original artwork of the manga. Though when it comes to the pinnacle of 3D anime animation my money is on Beastars, Ultraman(both on Netflix) and Houseki no Kuni.

Jul 4, 2018
Netflix has a ton of stuff but it all seems so unfocused.
Being unfocused is their focus, they want to be a truely worldwide appeal to as many people as possible media player. That's why they have K-Dramas along side Bollywood movies, Goop Lab, Stranger Things, Anime etc.

We will have to wait and see if they are successful but they have a very different plan to Disney, Warner, Universal, Apple and the rest at the moment which could either be a huge positive or cause them to change that strategy in the future.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher needs a much, much bigger budget. Doesn't even match GoT season 1. Feels like a documentary re-enactment at times, passable costume design, ho-hum sets, terrible CGI.

Also, they still need to do much more to bring up the overall quality of thier shows, about 70% ends up being mediocre to utter shit. Rather they not bring out shows for the sake of having content, just dilutes thier library and makes people more nervous about new shows.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I just can't enjoy most of their output seeing how it treats the original artwork of the manga. Though when it comes to the pinnacle of 3D anime animation my money is on Beastars, Ultraman(both on Netflix) and Houseki no Kuni.

Ah, I wasn't aware that it was based off of a manga (kind of a duh, I guess). Also, I haven't yet watched Beastars and Houseki no Kuni (now I shall look them up), but I have seen Ultraman and I agree. It is just Levius' marries the art aesthetic of a typical anime with that of 3D models and neither the animation nor the models look bad- and I am coming from shows like Berserk.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Ah, I wasn't aware that it was based off of a manga (kind of a duh, I guess). Also, I haven't yet watched Beastars and Houseki no Kuni (now I shall look them up), but I have seen Ultraman and I agree. It is just Levius' marries the art aesthetic of a typical anime with that of 3D models and neither the animation nor the models look bad- and I am coming from shows like Berserk.
You are in for a treat with Beastars definitely give it a try.
And i just looked at a bit more footage of Levius and it's quite good looking. The art blends in well enough with the cgi. Might give it a few episodes.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I can always find something to watch on Netflix. Really like their anime investment and content like the Robots short stories.

Oh...they a really good among of 4khdr content. That's pretty important to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix has amassed an incredible stable of original content and continues to pump out great shit on a monthly basis. Great scripted dramas/comedies/animation and their film content is catching up with excellent flicks like Dolemite, The King, Marriage Story, Irishman and Two Popes having been released in the last little bit.

The old tired trope about Netflix not having great content is long since dead and people who continue to say it either have incredibly narrow taste or just despise Netflix.

Glad to see them pumping more money into their stuff. Right now Netflix, Prime and Apple TV + (as well as HBO Max soon) will be my main streaming services.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Witcher needs a much, much bigger budget. Doesn't even match GoT season 1. Feels like a documentary re-enactment at times, passable costume design, ho-hum sets, terrible CGI.

Also, they still need to do much more to bring up the overall quality of thier shows, about 70% ends up being mediocre to utter shit. Rather they not bring out shows for the sake of having content, just dilutes thier library and makes people more nervous about new shows.

I'm pretty sure the Witcher has a pretty high budget. They need to allocate it better.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
People who say this need to go watch GoT season 1. The scope on Witcher is absolutely insane compared to what GoT did that season.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
People who say this need to go watch GoT season 1. The scope on Witcher is absolutely insane compared to what GoT did that season.

Agreed. Only the dragon episode looked cheap.

My biggest annoyance with Netflix is that they constantly fuck up the color space with HDR on Roku and other platforms. When the Netflix logo at the start is a washed out orange you know it's wrong.