• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot. Not everything landed but they paired together surprisingly okay. Hometown song was pretty fucking great

The accents were probably very terrible and I loved seeing Will Farrell slip in and out of an accent. Overall, an enjoyable junk watch at least.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot. Not everything landed but they paired together surprisingly okay. Hometown song was pretty fucking great

The accents were probably very terrible and I loved seeing Will Farrell slip in and out of an accent. Overall, an enjoyable junk watch at least.

yup, it's not a good movie but enjoyable junk lol

it's fun

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i really enjoyed this
the last scene with whats her face is hilarious not because of the exchange (it was funny though) but how will completely drops the accent lol

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
It's too long and not hugely funny but that sing song in the middle was GREAT. what I found the oddest thing was how it wasn't very gay. Eurovision is huge in the LGBT community and it seems that aspect of it wasn't really acknowledged as much as it could have been.

I also like Dan Stevens but his character slipped into evil closet homosexual territory.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
enjoyed the movie, Ferrell is kind of hard to watch though. McAdams was great

I liked their hamster wheel song better than the final song

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It wasn't very funny, the best joke was
the elves have gone too far!

despite not being funny it was charming and I enjoyed it. But it doesn't really work as a comedy

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Loved the film, I'm a semi-fan of the contest and will watch it every year with a drink or two (or three). It mostly captures the spirit of the show and yes. I also thought some of the original songs were better than most recent entries.

Also I can't believe they got away with including as much criticism of Russia and their anti LGBT+ stance in an official Eurovision movie. Kudos!

Oh, and one criticm;

Why was the contest held in Edinburgh when it's even a plot in the film that the winner hosts the competition next year, and it's also a joke that the UK never gets any points? The UK would have had to have won the year before this film to host it!

But I laughed all the way through and would recommend it to anyone if they were slightly curious.

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
This was fine, it was much kinder towards the contest in general than I expected, and though it wasn't too funny it definitely charmed me by the end and there were some great original songs. The medley in the middle was fun, though I'd have preferred all the songs to have been from Eurovision rather than just two of them - I appreciate they're going for mass appeal however.

As a Scot, one of the fun things was seeing what they did with the Scottish geography! So the contest was in Edinburgh but the actual arena they used was the Hydro, which is in my hometown of Glasgow (about fifty miles away on the other side of Scotland). In the one shot of the arena in the context of the rest of Edinburgh, they'd CGIed it into (roughly) the location of the famous statue of Greyfriars Bobby. In the 'car chase' near the end they were basically going around in circles multiple times, which is probably fair enough for that scene to be honest! That huge castle/mansion doesn't exist in Edinburgh but my boyfriend was going mad trying to work out if there's an actual building in that location that would give those views of the city (verdict - inconclusive).

Last edited:

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
Loved the film, I'm a semi-fan of the contest and will watch it every year with a drink or two (or three). It mostly captures the spirit of the show and yes. I also thought some of the original songs were better than most recent entries.

Also I can't believe they got away with including as much criticism of Russia and their anti LGBT+ stance in an official Eurovision movie. Kudos!

Oh, and one criticm;

Why was the contest held in Edinburgh when it's even a plot in the film that the winner hosts the competition next year, and it's also a joke that the UK never gets any points? The UK would have had to have won the year before this film to host it!
This bugged me too! My headcanon is that
the actual winners the previous year were Australia, as if they win one of the 'big five' would host the following year on their behalf (due to the time difference). The hosts being generic Euro accents rather than Aussies or Brits messes that up a bit, but I'll just ignore that...

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't be the only one who loved Dan Stevens in this movie, right? He was eating that shit up. And I actually liked his story.

As a gay man, I got pretty emotional at his last scene, actually. It was really sweet.

Yeah, thought that was pretty sweet as well.

He was generally a pretty nice guy for the "villain". (I guess mostly Will Ferrel's characters ego was the villain here)

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

😍 so many goosebumps 😍

Also how great are these lyrics, haha

When I feel your gentle touch
And things are going our way
I wanna spill my love on you all day, all day

Jaja ding dong (Ding dong)
My love for you is growing wide and long
I swell and burst when I see what we've become
Come, come on, baby, we can get love on
When I see you I feel a ding-ding dong

maxresdefault.jpg

(Anyone know whether it was a purposeful reference to Ding a Dong by Teach in?)

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty mediocre, but I'm usually not a fan of Will Ferrell movies either. There were some highlights, like the medley in the middle of the movie (which felt like it had been mandated by the Eurovision commitee or something, because of how it was just thrown in there) and the final song was pretty good. But the plot was super predictable and the characters pretty shallow. Also, several of the jokes just fell flat to me, like the weirdly hostile "we hate Americans, go home to your country" etc (and no, I'm not an American lol).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
A compendium of the infectious tunes in Will Ferrell's Eurovision Song Contest.

Breaks down how the songs were created, who wrote them, who performed/sang them.

Cool and this explains a lot and why it wasn't a laugh riot at the expensive of the whole competition as I expected.

For Ferrell, who says he was first introduced to Eurovision more than 20 years ago thanks to his Swedish wife, the film served as something of a love letter to the event. "My first experience watching Eurovision, I got sucked into it even more because Sweden happened to win that year. So I've just always been smitten with it."

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty mediocre, but I'm usually not a fan of Will Ferrell movies either. There were some highlights, like the medley in the middle of the movie (which felt like it had been mandated by the Eurovision commitee or something, because of how it was just thrown in there) and the final song was pretty good. But the plot was super predictable and the characters pretty shallow. Also, several of the jokes just fell flat to me, like the weirdly hostile "we hate Americans, go home to your country" etc (and no, I'm not an American lol).

I actually found that really funny.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
That was....fine. Just about fine. Some of it fell flat and the plot is utterly cliche, but there's some catchy songs there, the movie just about manages a small snapshot of what Eurovision is about (although not always in a way that feels natural), and there's nothing particularly awful.

Oh, and one criticm;

Maybe it takes place in a future setting where Scotland becomes independent and then wins the contest.

(I think the real reason is more likely that they took plenty of artistic liberties with the contest, most obviously with the semi-final format, and the location was another one of those).

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it to my absolute surprise - I'm not sure I've ever actually liked Will Ferrell movie,but he toned it down in this one to the movies ultimate benefit.

And it's not a parody, it's an homage. Which just makes the film better.... sincerity can work so well for a film like this.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that the best thing about the movie is that it ends up being an homage to the show and that is somewhat refreshing for a comedy like this. I didn't launch as much as I'd like for a comedy but I had a smile throughout most of the final act of the film. Dan Stevens kills it and Rachel McAdams is always intriguing to watch for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Husavik has a shot for a Best Song Oscar nom.

I absolutely adore that song, and I am not one for ESC power ballads at all.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I loved it! Got teary-eyed when she sang her song at the end..and then when they arrived back to Husavik. This was delightful.

Also, Dan Stevens has to play George Michael in the future.

Last edited:

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm weirded out how much I actually love the Husavik song. I fucking bought it.

It's just... so good. So fucking good.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Holy crap that was good. I dug all the song, especially the last solo ballad. I'm glad this wasn't as lampooning and absurd as Blades of Glory, an I'm saying that as a huge fan of that one.

About Russia
I was delighted they didn't make Lemtov the typical 'evil' rival, you could tell he really did want to make Sigrit happy. Trying His relationship with Mita (Also not typical evil) made for some good character moments. Damn at those last spoken bit of his.

Think i learned about ancient Greek statues today
VOAeoT0.jpg

The tourists getting shit on was a hilarious running gag. Them also being obvious to the hate was on point. The last batch had me in stitches.

This had heart and soul.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Came for mocking Eurovision, staid for JA JA DING DONG!
And now my older daughter wants to win Eurovision...

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Watched this last night. As far as comedy it was more small chuckles than hard laughs but the good-naturedness of it all and the main cast make up for that and it was pretty enjoyable. I only really started watching those Eurovision finals the last few years when Logo got the broadcast rights in the US.

I did love after the boat exploded and Lars and Sigrit go back and forth between mourning and being excited lol. "THE ELVES WENT TOO FAR."

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this last night. As far as comedy it was more small chuckles than hard laughs but the good-naturedness of it all and the main cast make up for that and it was pretty enjoyable. I only really started watching those Eurovision finals the last few years when Logo got the broadcast rights in the US.

I did love after the boat exploded and Lars and Sigrit go back and forth between mourning and being excited lol. "THE ELVES WENT TOO FAR."

that was my favorite line too, biggest laugh of the movie for me. Granted it didn't have many, but that was a good one