• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2018...aracter-breakdowns-and-production-start-date/

Here are a few of them, with descriptions for other characters (Ed, Vicious and Julia) also listed

Spike:
An Asian (or partially Asian) man in his mid 20's to mid 30's and must have athletic ability. Spike is the young and handsome male lead with a body like Bruce Lee. His care free demeanor hides a seriously dangerous individual. Spike is prone to shoot first and improvise, unlike his more serious partner Jet, but he gets the job done. Spike tries to hide his sensitive side but is a sucker for a damsel in distress and is haunted by his past

Faye:
An Asian (or mixed heritage) woman in her early 20's to mid 30's and must have athletic ability. Faye is the female lead of the show. She is an attractive bounty hunter with a sharp tongue. She's a survivor who will con anyone to get what she wants. Faye has no memory of her early life, including family or friends. So, even though she'll never admit it, she likes working with the other members of the Bebop crew.

Jet:
An African American (or partial African American) man in his mid 30's to early 50's. An ex-cop, Jet looks intimidating but is a softy at heart. He became fed up with the corrupt system, but he still catches criminals as a bounty hunter. While Jet believes in the law, he will always back up a friend. Occasionally, he will even relax and have fun.

Now this gets me more excited. Another case of the show never explicitly stating the character's races (aside from Spike being Martian), but I appreciate them actually attempting to cast Asian actors in an anime adaptation, especially after they whitewashed Death Note. Black Jet is one of those things that clearly isn't what his character was portrayed as, but always fit so well

Conspicuously missing is Ein who I hope wasn't cut!

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Was spike ever outed as being asian? I always saw him as being some white dude....maybe its cause i latched onto keanu reeves for playing him lol. no comment on the rest of the actors though

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Was spike ever outed as being asian? I always saw him as being some white dude....maybe its cause i latched onto keanu reeves for playing him lol. no comment on the rest of the actors though

Well Keanu Reeves has a hell of a lot of Chinese heritage from his father's side, so it still fits!

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Concern trolling in reference to inclusive casting over a series of posts; History of flippancy in race-related topics
They were racially ambiguous because they were meant to be racially ambiguous. In the future the human race is more homogeneous.

Thank you for ruining that Netflix.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Black Jet is one of those things that clearly isn't what his character was portrayed as, but always fit so well

I dont really think that, especially his VA being who he is. He mostly interacts with black characters in or around ISSP and has a particular history with Udai and the Eurosyndicate, something i felt was uniquely afro oriented

Wasn't Faye from Singapore?

In speak like a child there are landmarks which identify the general location, and singapore is very close

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Cool cool.

I have high hopes for this one, like I said in the announcement thread, Bebop is perfect for a Western adaptation.
They were racially ambiguous because they were meant to be racially ambiguous. In the future the human race is more homogeneous.

Not sure if serious.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Better that than the cavalcade of whiteness we usually have that culminates with the lead role played by Scarlet Johansen.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
i dont remember him ever being stated as asian, but people go "anime=asian characters" unless otherwise stated

Oct 25, 2017

Can't win can we?
If they cast white people, people will complain about white-washing.
Casting Asian and black people, you're complaining that they missed the point.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

OP
OP
808s & Villainy
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Jet was black. Thought Spike was Jewish though.
I think Spike's based on the same actor Aokiji in One Piece is, Yusaku Masuda
CTpptX1UsAAplLu.jpg

I dont really think that, especially his VA being who he is. He mostly interacts with black characters in or around ISSP and has a particular history with Udai and the Eurosyndicate, something i felt was uniquely afro oriented
In any case, I'm glad they're portraying him as black in this

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

On the one hand, Spike was a member of a Triad (Chinese Mafia) gang.

On the other hand, his last name is Spiegel and his hair is curly as fuck.

Space is weird.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I always thought Jet was always just a light-skinned old black dude, so it works out

Oct 25, 2017
Jet being cast as a person of color works perfectly with his character and something I didn't know I wanted until the initial rumor spread after the announcement was revealed. Super excited to see who they pick for him!

What about Ed? They aren't removing her from the show, are they? :(

Ed's description is included in the article, though their search criteria isn't nearly as specific as the three leads.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought of Spike as Jewish and Vicious as Asian, while Faye was so light skinned I assumed she was caucasian, but I guess in comparison with Julia, she could easily be Asian. Ed seemed Latino or maybe Mediterranean? Jet was definitely coded as black outside of his appearance.

Overall, I don't particularly care what race any of them are cast as, as long as they can get the attitudes correct.

wig split

Nov 1, 2017
Just cast and not assign a label? The anime was purposely left ambiguous. If Shinichiro Watanabe want us to know, don't you think he would have said?
I don't care one way or the other, but that Watanabe guy is onboard as a consultant for the show. I'm sure it's been discussed.