• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Is he? Because a bunch of things I read literally just said the name was chosen because it sounded cool, not because it was supposed to connotate a certain race. And a lot of those influences were personality and mannerism wise. Faye being Singaporean is the only real world ethnicity the show explicitly said (although I guess her family could be expats living there)
You know what, I should add an addendum to that post. I did my project in 2003 and there weren't as many references as I would have liked. I remember having to lean on a few fan sites (remember TheRealFolkBlues?). Point being, some of that stuff may have been disproven in the last 15+ years. :(

I should also add that Matsuda's point of reference was very specifically from the movie Tantei Monogatari which I still have not seen. Lupin III was also a design influence for Spike.

**EDIT - You're right.

In more recent interviews Watanabe and creative staff have said that Spike wasn't intended to be read as any one particular race. The Jewish "coding" like his name, his appearance, his Israeli firearm, are all purely coincidence. The goal of Spike's design was an amalgamation of what they considered to be "cool" and that includes the sound of his last name.

That's kind of a bummer too, a close friend of mine always said he felt really seen to have an anime character who was Jewish to watch on tv.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Really bummed Andrew Koji wasn't cast but John is a good pick, too.

shit....that woulda been amazing

426389f0-f8af-11ea-a41c-8cbd1416100a_image_hires_171408.jpg

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I really want this to be good, and I really love the casting for Jet. It's a great take on the character. I also really look forward to seeing John Cho as Spike.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I'll enjoy the soundtrack if nothing else.

Have they said if they're remaking the story of the anime or doing something different? I would honestly prefer a bunch of original, one-off adventures rather than a retelling of the Vicious/Julia stuff.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what, I should add an addendum to that post. I did my project in 2003 and there weren't as many references as I would have liked. I remember having to lean on a few fan sites (remember TheRealFolkBlues?). Point being, some of that stuff may have been disproven in the last 15+ years. :(

I should also add that Matsuda's point of reference was very specifically from the movie Tantei Monogatari which I still have not seen. Lupin III was also a design influence for Spike.

**EDIT - You're right.

In more recent interviews Watanabe and creative staff have said that Spike wasn't intended to be read as any one particular race. The Jewish "coding" like his name, his appearance, his Israeli firearm, are all purely coincidence. The goal of Spike's design was an amalgamation of what they considered to be "cool" and that includes the sound of his last name.

That's kind of a bummer too, a close friend of mine always said he felt really seen to have an anime character who was Jewish to watch on tv.
Us Jews can be cool! lol :p

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Very happy to see that they hired Kanno for this. I'm cautiously looking forward to this.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
shit....that woulda been amazing

426389f0-f8af-11ea-a41c-8cbd1416100a_image_hires_171408.jpg
I'm fine with John Cho because I can see him emboding the aloof, stoic, and generally lackadaisical attitude that Spike has. I really liked Warrior, and Andrew Koji has got the right physicality for it, but I just don't see him as being Spike, really.

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt know about Yoko so thats super welcomed.

Not digging Faye's hair. The rest of the cast seems fine.

Really wondering if they really left Ed out becuase that would be absolute shit. And i wouldnt be surprised they are reserving her for season 2, which is not a good decission in my mind if this series isnt like 6 episodes only.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cho being older really doesn't bother me one bit.

I just need to know that he knows martial arts and will be credible in the role.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Didnt know about Yoko so thats super welcomed.

Not digging Faye's hair. The rest of the cast seems fine.

Really wondering if they really left Ed out because that would be absolute shit. And i wouldn't be surprised they are reserving her for season 2, which is not a good decision in my mind if this series isnt like 6 episodes only.

With regards to Edward, she wasn't introduced until nine episodes in the first season of the anime. I honestly don't mind if she isn't in the first season, provided she does join the squad in Season 2.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I have been directing a live action version of cowboy bebop in my head since I was like 9 years old, so I know it's impossible for anything in reality to live up to that, but I hope this is at least okay. It can't be worse than Dragonball Evolution.

It's a shame the Netflix brand has become synonymous with mostly trash. Outside of Umbrella Academy I haven't liked their genre stuff. Makes it so hard to be optimistic...

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
They all look really well cast accept Jet. Especially John Cho as Spike.

Is Christopher Yost still attached to the Netflix series? He was one of the writers initially, but I havent been keeping up since the Keanu days lol.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yoko Kanno doing the OST is the dream I dared not to dream so this is some real-ass shit right here. Show just went from 😬 to 🤩 for me.

Hexnest

Sep 18, 2020
That's...not an accurate representation of how Spike's hair is going to look in the show, right?

I get that translating stylized "anime hair" into real life can be tricky, but come on..it's so flat.

Oct 26, 2017
Already knew they were bringing Kanno back for this. Still feels like they're pandering to nostalgia to win some brownie points, but we'll see how it goes this fall.

Sooooo, Ed's just not in the show? Or more accurately, the first season?

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
They all look really well cast accept Jet. Especially John Cho as Spike.

Is Christopher Yost still attached to the Netflix series? He was one of the writers initially, but I havent been keeping up since the Keanu days lol.

Huh?
Jet may be the only one who looks semi reasonable. Still too young and skinny looking.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's an adaptation, folks. Spike doesn't have to be the same age. Ed doesn't have to be the same age. You can't realistically recreate Ed very effectively in live-action anyway. Wacikness like Ed just doesn't really lend itself to something "real." John Cho is a great actor, can be mega cool and they've nailed his look with the hair. Yoko Kanno is half the battle at adapting this. I can't wait to see the trailer.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
You guys don't deserve John Cho. The dude is way overqualified for a Netflix anime adaptation.

If anything falters here, it's going to be on the creative side.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno how good the show will be, but it's cool that she's on board to do the music.

Oct 27, 2017
Already knew they were bringing Kanno back for this. Still feels like they're pandering to nostalgia to win some brownie points, but we'll see how it goes this fall.
You suddenly reminded me of The Pillows returning for the new FLCL seasons and how it didn't make a remote difference -_- (but they did make some good new music, as expected)

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with John Cho because I can see him emboding the aloof, stoic, and generally lackadaisical attitude that Spike has. I really liked Warrior, and Andrew Koji has got the right physicality for it, but I just don't see him as being Spike, really.

Honestly I don't really see much of Spike in Cho based on many of the performances he's done and aside from skinny asian dude he isn't really all that great a fit for him but I'll wait to see how he does in the series. I'm honestly more curious how he looks doing Jeet Kun Do as I don't think I've ever seen him do a ton of physical work. Though I guess that's what stuntmen are for.

It's an adaptation, folks. Spike doesn't have to be the same age. Ed doesn't have to be the same age. You can't realistically recreate Ed very effectively in live-action anyway. Wacikness like Ed just doesn't really lend itself to something "real." John Cho is a great actor, can be mega cool and they've nailed his look with the hair. Yoko Kanno is half the battle at adapting this. I can't wait to see the trailer.

They're purpusfully trying to recreate many of the elements of the original series seemingly verbatim like Ein, the music and seemingly even the aesthetics so they're already aping many elements of the original series so it stands out even more in other areas that aren't as accurate or close to the original.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder who is doing the latin american voice cast. The voice actor de Jet passed in 2019, and his voice was too iconic. I hope they get all the other voice actors. Spike's voice was just perfect.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'll enjoy the soundtrack if nothing else.

Have they said if they're remaking the story of the anime or doing something different? I would honestly prefer a bunch of original, one-off adventures rather than a retelling of the Vicious/Julia stuff.

They cast people in the roles of Gren, Julia and Vicious, so likely remaking the anime.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
You guys don't deserve John Cho. The dude is way overqualified for a Netflix anime adaptation.

If anything falters here, it's going to be on the creative side.
100% this. Actors all look the part and John Cho is a very talented actor. I am not fully understanding why people are getting so worked up about that aspect.

The writing and directing are what concern me most. Death Note, Fullmetal and AoT had atrocious writing.

I still can't believe how fucking awful Death Note turned out.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
this gets brought up in every Cowboy Bebop thread at this point, and its always right.

But perhaps for the better that he wasn't cast anyways, could put into conflict scheduling for more Warrior.
I mean, who knows really, at the end of it we're getting more Warrior and Cowboy so I'm good with that!

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Im about to finish bebop anime for the first time and loving every minute of it. Not gonna hold my breath for live action since 90% of the times i've been dissapointed, but in for the OST alone.