• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
Remember to try its British cousin (parent?)

Martin Kemp genuinely forgetting his own name, Jamie Laing having his own pigeon story fed back to him, and Kimberley Wyatt struggling with the golf clubs in the background for a good 5 minutes are the best moments.

Oct 27, 2017
Murder in Successville, yeah.

Yes there is, Murder in Successville.

Tom Davis was the writer for that and is credited as a producer in this adaptation.

Edit: beaten

I do love me some good improv. The original is hilarious at times, and seeing really good comedians think on their feet is great.

Always liked it when they broke in Successville.

Successville was very good, especially when the guest can't can't manage to keep a straight face. I like Tom Davis. King Gary is a lot of fun too.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
So is there somewhere I can watch that british version here in the US?

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only interested if there is actual puzzle solving going on and not just entirely improve comedy

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So each episode can range from comic gold to physically painful? Fuck it, I'll check it out.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I do note that I don't see any mention here of the *success* part of the original - that is, all the suspects in the original show were parodies of celebrities. I don't think that's inherently a necessary part of the show, although it does mean they can't do things like build a gag around Jimmy Carr's laugh.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know improv happens on tv, but I find this a pretty cool concept for a show.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
I'll give this a go, some episodes of the format worked so well in Murder in Successville.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Are you trying to tell me that there were no good old days when networks protected quirky comedies?

yes Joe.

You will suffer along with us, your good memories are lies. There is only pain. Hey remember that quirky comedy Pushing Daisies? Yeah?

Dead after 2 seasons. Just like your dreams are dead after 2 seasons.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't nab anyone from SNL (unless you count Conan). Also, it's a shame Jessica Walter died because she would have been awesome opposite Arnett.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
I don't think I've ever laughed harder at anything than I did at the Martin Kemp episode on the British original.

If you can get hold of the original somehow, do.

Oh and Conan O'Brien is absolutely perfect for this.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Conan is hilarious, but is he supposed to be acting? Like, do they give him a character to play? Surely he's not supposed to be himself.

I imagine his character would be a pretty generic outline with space for him to do whatever. If you tell somebody like Conan to "act" without a script you're gonna get... something....

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Sounds like fun. And some of these guests have to include some of the Whose Line stars, no? It would only be right.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Conan is hilarious, but is he supposed to be acting? Like, do they give him a character to play? Surely he's not supposed to be himself.
They're not really given a character other than themselves as detective trainees.

I'm only interested if there is actual puzzle solving going on and not just entirely improve comedy
Yes, the guest star is asked to solve the crime at the end based on talking to the suspects and then told if they're right and what the clues were. It's not all improv, there is a story and characters but the guest star isn't given a script.