• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just started watching season ONE. lol Time to binge through before it gets removed I guess.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. I enjoyed it well enough. It's a nice easy watch. It was basically just an excuse to see Olyphant on screen as much as possible. He was great. Most of the cast were. Shame it ends on a cliffhanger.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care for it. I watched most of the episodes and felt that the acting was wooden and the dialogue weak.

I think Timothy Olyphant deserves better than this show.

Also, Shaun of the Dead was probably the first zombie comedy.
Well by that token, surely Return of the living dead was. But they didn't say the first zombie comedy, they said zombie rom com. But then you could argue zombie was that already.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That really sucks, it was a great show.
A few shows have been written to last 4 seasons lately, like Crazy Ex Girlfriend or The Good Place. I'm sure Santa Clarita could have ended properly in one more season... such a shame. Boooooo Netflix.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Netflix CEO: Right people, Disney is set to launch their service by the end of the year, not going to lie, it's going to be tough, they're bringing their a game, so we need ideas on how to keep customers.

Exec1: Raise prices!
Exec2: Start abruptly cancelling shows
Exec3: Don't let the writers know so they can't wrap it up
Exec4: Push a heavy Algorithm system to do the curation work for us, that worked out well for YouTube

Netflix CEO: These all sound solid, let's do all of them.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Watched a couple of episodes and found it insufferable. Felt really cheap somehow and slapdash.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
That's a damn shame, but at least we got three great seasons out of it. I can't even think of a bad episode.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
BOOOOOOO. My wife and I love that show. Not giving anything away, but I REALLY wanted to see what would happen after the last episode.

I'm gonna go cry now.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Sense 8 got an ending episode. Hopefully this series gets a satisfying conclusion too.
I'm not aware it was so unpopular tho.

I'm worried about GLOW and Russian Doll now.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit. I'm the Sentence of Death to Netflix shows. Started watching One Day At a Time -> it's cancelled a month later. Just started watching this a couple of weeks ago and now it ended. What show should I avoid watching so that fans can have their fourth and beyond seasons?
Really sucks to see that Netflix basically does the same thing as network TV with cancelling well received but not widely watched shows.
The thing is, these shows might be doing perfectly fine, even building up in popularity at a decent pace with each passing season, but Big Data has shown Netflix that shows hold less value in retaining or increasing subscribers or some such past three or so seasons, at least when they aren't Stranger Things level successes out of the gate. A show like SCD might be getting increased viewerships but if that is from already existing long-time subscribers who'd stay as subscribers whether or not (additional seasons of) SCD exists instead of bringing in tons of subscribers, it holds less value than a new smash hit that brings in a ton of new users.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably enough to get me to consider cancelling. What's the point of getting invested in a series if it'll just get cancelled in a few sessions? Just sign up for a month, binge said season then wait.

I'll do that for Disenchantment, but that's it. Hopefully the Disney offering is better. And is in Australia.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Netflix doesn't give a short final season for their own shows they cancel. It would drastically improve people discovering and watching the show in the future.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why Netflix doesn't give a short final season for their own shows they cancel. It would drastically improve people discovering and watching the show in the future.
True. It's like Pushing Daisies: I'd like to tell people "go watch this show!" but then I have to say "by the way don't get invested in it too much because it doesn't end".
That's bad long-term planning.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I never checked it out but I guess that's fine now.

Netflix still has some good shows. Ozark, Mindhunter, Stranger Things, The OA, The Umbrella Academy... but I think I'll probably subscribe less if they keep burning shows.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
On a semi-related note I just hope that Lucifer is wrapped up in the season they bought and that will air soon. I can't possibly handle a favorite show of mine to be canceled twice without a proper ending.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch season 3 but it seems like it ended in a cliffhanger or something? I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons. It'd be nice if they could make a movie or even an hour long episode just to wrap it up.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The show looked really weird. It was actually decent? Huh

Well does the third season wrap up well? If not I won't bother.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I just finished watching season 3 a few days ago. Such a shame, realy enjoyed the cast.

I agree that would be ideal or at least tell us how it all would unfold.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The other thing I don't get is how Netflix has doubled their investment into new shows again for the next year, but they keep cancelling shit. Is it all going to bake shows, reality TV, and Adam sandler?

The number of shows I'm looking forward to has really decreased. Sabrina, witcher, stranger things, bojack and... I think that is it. Umbrella academy and ozark are okay.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

It would be too expensive most likely to get everyone back together and ramp up production for a short final season.

Also everyone asking why they didn't tell the show runners so they could have wrapped it up in season 3... Who's to say they didn't? They were probably well aware if it didn't hit certain metrics that they wouldn't be back. Hulu or someone else could pick it up so maybe they gambled?

I just saw some behind the scenes of show business with my wife's sister's feature film (showing in Tribeca this weekend). The business side is just as important as the creative side.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
What actually are Netflix's tentpole shows right now? I guess Stranger Things is likely their most popular show right now, but what else is drawing big amounts of attention? I'm kinda drawing a blank on Netflix shows that I see a lot of people talking about.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
God damn it, Netflix! First you cancel One Day at a Time and now Santa Clarita Diet. I just hope Kominsky Method doesn't get axed next.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

According to the info that Ratsky put earlier in the thread, production costs can go up substantially after Season 3. A wrap up movie is probably contractually identical to a S4 from the cast and crew standpoint so it probably isn't cost effective to them.

It probably wouldn't be a bad thing to build 2 hour wrap up movies into production contacts for shows in the event of cancellation to make them more economically viable.