• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.theilluminerdi.com

Live-Action Avatar: The Last Airbender Series Finds Its New Showrunner: Exclusive - The Illuminerdi

Netflix’s live-action reimagining of the beloved Nickelodeon animated series, Avatar: The Last Airbender, has found their new showrunner.
old.reddit.com

I really wanted to give it a chance

Posted in r/TheLastAirbender by u/highground-7567 • 44,057 points and 2,175 comments

In the animated Avatar: The Last Airbender Sokka is Katara's older brother. Sokka is 15 and Katara is 14. It looks like the live-action reimaging is changing this up with Katara now the older sibling at age 16 and Sokka her younger brother at age 14. Aang will still be 12. (Well, technically about 112.)

This switch will likely have effects on the characters and their dynamic, with Katara having been the one to take care of Sokka and now a four-year age difference between Katara and Aang, instead of the original two years. If this is ultimately the direction they take the characters in, it'll be interesting to see how this changes the characters and their relationships.

Iffy source, so take with many grains of🧂and fruit 🥧
BarrenWeightyCopperhead-small.gif

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why.

I wasn't exactly expecting a straight adaptation, but this cuts out a lot of the show and effectively make a whole new character

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I question the source, and this would sink the romance from the original thoroughly. Not that it was one of the greatest romances in fiction history but it's a strange choice.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an odd change to make if true. Why are they trying to make katara fall for a 12 year old still

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are aging her up so they can make a Zutarra show guys.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this was too good to be true. Every piece of news takes this further towards Shyamalan.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like something they are doing in order to ensure they appear the right ages in multi-seasons of the show.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
When I saw the thread title I was positive they were going to age up Toph so she could be put into a love triangle or something stupid like that. This feels a little arbitrary, but doesn't ruin anything on its own. I wonder how that will impact Sokka's early story arc.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
while this is true, i think book 3 handles it poorly. in general, i never got the sense that katara was too into aang.

Yeah, the writers are really bad at handling romance. Luckily unlike with LoK, they had enough going on not to make it too major an element.

A pointless move. This completely ruins the Aang Katara romance, which is an essential part of the story

It is not.

It is essential to the expanded series and LoK, but not the show. Aang's attachment to Katara and the consequences can easily be rewritten, and I suspect was never really going to exist in the live-action show as it did in the cartoon anyway.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot this existed after the creators exited.

Live action ATLA was always a cursed idea. Just give us a third animated avatar series, with an earthbender avatar.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. They gonna make Zutara canon. Mad lads at Netflix know how to get the shipping audience.

17iktoqt75y41.jpg

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Next time news comes out about this they gonna announce they made Sokka a waterbender

May 26, 2018
If true, this must be one of the reasons why Konietzko and DiMartino left. Just pulling out the teachers red pen and fundamentally altering the main cast.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
if this is true that explains why the original creators noped out, this change could change multiple things about the story

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Why even make this show? Why not another cartoon? I promise you anyone who cares about the universe would prefer that instead.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is probably for a love triangle thing. Zuko was 16 in TLA so making Katara the same age makes it less weird and gives Aang the traditional inferiority complex. The jokes about how Aang is actually 112 years old probably write themselves too.

May 26, 2018
Yeah this is probably for a love triangle thing. Zuko was 16 in TLA so making Katara the same age makes it less weird and gives Aang the traditional inferiority complex. The jokes about how Aang is actually 112 years old probably write themselves too.

Except now we will have a 16 year old romantically kissing a 12 year old. Oopsie freaking doodles, I guess.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just drop this shit and do a Kyoshi story, why is no one actually banking on the huge popularity surge of ATLA in 2020?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised they would age the char up but i dont see why they would switch the ages around. Still waiting to see how it turns out

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Its not a big deal as I never felt the whole Aang and Katara romance went anywhere in TLA. He liked her of course but there was never really any romance as far as they both were concerned. Zuko had that knife wielding chick and Saka had the warrior girl. I felt like Aang and Kitara was sort of there but never really moved much.

May 26, 2018
Just drop this shit and do a Kyoshi story, why is no one actually banking on the huge popularity surge of ATLA in 2020?

That is exactly what they are banking on. Uh, except the part where the fans got burned once already and are sort of extremely sensitive so better get it right or they'll spend all their time still just.. binging the animation

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017