• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Yoooooo series on the conjunction of the spheres sounds dope! I've always wanted to know more about it!

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Nice! They sure are milking this franchise though, lol.

Honestly that's only a bad thing if the quality goes down. Otherwise it's fine.
Haha, "always wanted to dive deeper." We've had one season!

Yeah it's a little odd but with everything going on now I'd rather they do a mini prequel series than try to tackle season 2 right now. I want them to really go all out with season 2.
This and the anime. Netflix going all in. Just make sure to give the second series a much bigger budget.

I sure hope so. Easily the biggest problem with season 1 is that it looked EXTREMELY cheap.
Oh boy, the show still had a lot of areas to improve on. Hope they don't spread their focus too much.

With the a animated movie that's the second prequel they've announced

My hope is that this actually improves the chances of season 2 being a big step up over season 1.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
At least they're being smart and leveraging the property whilst it's hot.

That GoT prequel is going to be rough

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Conjunction was basically a huge cataclysm in a multiverse scale where multiple worlds got destroyed, fused and creatures from many different planets/universes came to the Witcher world, including humans. It was a shitshow and I never thought Sapkowski would have the balls to tackle it. Bring it on.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I liked The Witcher because of the characters in it. That's not to say they won't make other characters I want to watch for this, but I'm not itching to consume things just because they're labeled "The Witcher"

The Conjunction was basically a huge cataclysm in a multiverse scale where multiple worlds got destroyed, fused and creatures from many different planets/universes came to the Witcher world, including humans. It was a shitshow and I never thought Sapkowski would have the balls to tackle it. Bring it on.
It's the sort of thing that reminds me of Doctor Who's Time War, which is something that sounds really interesting when spoken of in ominous fragments but could never live up to everyone's imagination if put to a screen.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Maybe get the saga right first, including upping the budget. I couldn't believe how cheap The Edge of the World adaptation was.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the Conjunction was a lot earlier than that.

Did humans appear during the Conjunction, or am I conflating two separate events?
My understanding that the witcher game etc take place in the elves world. The conjunction of the spheres brought in the humans and monsters etc into the elves world. The humans subsequently proceeded to destroy and subjugate the elves by sheer number.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Yes it's milking the series a bit but I'm honestly really interested in watching the Conjunction of the Spheres so it gets a pass. Bring it on!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm excited but I also am beginning to find it increasingly weird how many film/tv announcements we're getting while knowing they likely won't shoot for up to if not exceeding a year thanks to the pandemic.

Though I guess writing, design, sfx, etc could all get done early.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, not even on season 2 and we already have a spinoff... As someone that only watched the 1st season and never played a game or read a book on the witcher series... I'm not really that interested in a spinoff to explore more of this world. Yet.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Yo.... Seeing what the world was like immediately after the Conjunction of spheres (did I get that right?) sounds really cool!

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding that the witcher game etc take place in the elves world. The conjunction of the spheres brought in the humans and monsters etc into the elves world. The humans subsequently proceeded to destroy and subjugate the elves by sheer number.
I believe that is the case

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
It feels like Netflix is just too...easy. I mean the main TV show could use more budget and better writing.

But they also perma-renewed Dragon prince, so Eh they still get my money.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in. I didn't find Witcher to be incredible or anything, but I love the world enough to watch anything that is produced.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, not even on season 2 and we already have a spinoff... As someone that only watched the 1st season and never played a game or read a book on the witcher series... I'm not really that interested in a spinoff to explore more of this world. Yet.

thats fine, if you ever come to be interested, it will be there waiting for you.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you already announce a prequel series when the main storyline of the normal series hasn't even properly started yet?

It's actually a bit more complicated than that, since the world also wasn't the elves' world to start with. They also colonized the world and subjugated the people that used to live there (dwarves, gnomes, etc.). Though you are right that the humans fucked the world even further.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Just hope they up the budget, hire whoever did the reshoot of the episode 1 fight scene full time, and invest in some more competent directors.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This. There were some monsters and magical creatures living with the elves before the Conjunction though. Humans came with the Conjunction. Elves taught humans how to magic to fight all the shit that came through the portals and of course they took advantage once the war was over...

SaN1ty24

Nov 15, 2017
352fcdf6396958cd977ebc36f722a137.gif

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Although for different reasons, Spartacus had a prequel before the second season and it felt very necessary. I am sure this will be great.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
"Can we pls break the basic lore of the series ? Hmmm ? Sorry, can't hear you, thank you for your cooperation !'
Basically. Sapkowski being involved is probably just an economic thing for Sapkowski and a way for the series to have some sort of 'legitimacy' for book fans. I mean, Sapkowski was also 'involved' with the first season and that already broke some of the basic lore of the books and heavily altered both the content and meaning of certain short stories.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just reacting to the thread title I was thinking "but why?" but reading the actual premise/setting I'm excited at the lore they've chosen to explore.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Welcome to the streaming future, as soon as any platform gets itself a solid performing hit it will produce a string of various spin-offs around it in an effort to reduce subscriber churn.

Witness CBS Access and all its awful Star Trek projects.

Next property stepping up to join Marvel, DC and Star Wars in ramming endless spin-offs and mini-series etc down our throats? Game Of Thrones with Amazon's Middle Earth show in hot pursuit.

THE FUTURE!

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Regis isn't that old. He's around 640 years old.
That shouldn't be an issue. No part of the tweeted description matches the books' timeline anyway and Netflix has already aged one of its characters (Stregobor) by few hundred years.

"Can we pls break the basic lore of the series ? Hmmm ? Sorry, can't hear you, thank you for your cooperation !'
Typically his answer to that question has been "I don't care what you do as long as I get paid."
Good for him, but at the same time... geez, Andy, it's your legacy.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda cool Netflix is taking the prequel type route with some things and the games took the sequel route. Not stepping on each other's toes too terribly much.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
They should milk it. Season 1 was amazing. They should ride that wave and we get to have a prequel series and multiple seasons of an awesome story.
Between this and the last of us series, which I am really hoping will be a success, a Bioshock series its getting closer and closer.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
That shouldn't be an issue. No part of the tweeted description matches the books' timeline anyway and Netflix has already aged one of its characters (Stregobor) by few hundred years.
True, but I don't really see a reason why they'd include Regis, depending of course when this would come out. With the current pace I don't see them introducing Regis until the third or fourth season and I would assume that this releases before that. They could just assume that Regis in the series becomes as much as a fan-favourite character as in the books and include him, but it would be kinda weird IMO to introduce Regis in something that releases before his proper introduction.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Nowhere to go but up for S2 imho.

I hope so. I hope they give stuff more time to breath too. I think it would've felt better with season 1 being so densely packed if it had double the episode count to spread some of what was happening out a bit more. Even then they didn't need as much Ciri in season 1 as they had (despite largely liking that stuff I think they could've saved much of it for the start of season 2) and I thought the Yennifer backstory stuff was... bad. That stuff and the episode count really felt like "The Netflix style" or influence coming into play in that it didn't necessarily make the show better, but there were a bunch of overarching narrative threads all happening at once and it's just how Netflix does things because they seem to think it makes their stuff better.

Despite all of that I would say I liked the show but in addition to the problems I listed much of what happened in the show didn't fully make sense to me until I started reading the novels. Having completed them it was a little baffling to me why they didn't skew at least a little closer to the structure of the novels as I think the structure of the novels would lend themselves pretty well to a TV series. I don't need the show to be a 1:1 recreation of the novels (frankly there's some stuff later on that should absolutely be ignored by the show) but their structure was just much more coherent than the show's IMO. I hope they learn a lot from season 1 and the two prequel mini series they're doing and apply those learnings to season 2. At the very least, I think the significant amount of story they have left to tell should lend itself to a Netflix style show better than the material they had to start with.

Its now been over a month since I finished the books but I feel like there's a significant chunk of the novel series where Ciri (a girl in her teens) is in some form of sexual related peril. I don't believe full on rape of any kind to anyone is ever depicted in the novels but I definitely feel like there's a lot of sexual assault and much of it involves Ciri from what I can recall. Even if they use all of the upcoming time skips to age Ciri up to be the same age as the actress playing her (20) one has to assume Ciri in the show won't find herself in quite as many sexual situations as in the novel, right? At the very least it feels safe to assume that the old man who rapes, kills and then eats children won't be depicted in the show...

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The main Witcher show is now safely following the great story from the books [after which comes the story told in video games], so they are set there for number of years.

I'm glad they are expanding the book universe with the help of Sapowski. Limited series means that they will have to do complete this story in 6 hours, which can lead to the great storytelling and insight into early years of the conjuction of spheres and domination of monsters over men and elves, which led to the creation of Witchers. I'm very much hoping in this show we will get to hear the Ithlinne's Prophecy spoken for the first time! :D

Haha, "always wanted to dive deeper." We've had one season!
The books. Dive deeper into the history and mysteries from the books.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The world is vast enough to make multiple stories from, I just hope they have enough budget now to make it look the part. Season 1 had some low budget costume and CGI at parts, and now we have two shows.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
True, but I don't really see a reason why they'd include Regis, depending of course when this would come out. With the current pace I don't see them introducing Regis until the third or fourth season and I would assume that this releases before that. They could just assume that Regis in the series becomes as much as a fan-favourite character as in the books and include him, but it would be kinda weird IMO to introduce Regis in something that releases before his proper introduction.
Would it be any weirder than what they've done with Cahir? Don't get me wrong, it would be weird and bad, I just don't see anything that could stop them and they sure love their pointless origin stories.

The books. Dive deeper into the history and mysteries from the books.
This doesn't have anything to do with the history from the books. Where are they going to dive when they've flattened over a thousand years of history into a single point?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't have anything to do with the history from the books. Where are they going to dive when they've flattened over a thousand years of history into a single point?
Well Sapkowski is there to give them inspiration about the period around Conjuction of Spheres and origin of Witcher order.