• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched it with my family and I'm pretty sure they decided to watch it due to some slick astroturfing

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
image0.jpg

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
what even is this

been seeing it everywhere on social media lately

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Mentioned this in the BO thread, but I had a feeling this would be a hit when a ton of coworkers started talking about it

That hasn't really happened since Black Panther

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That's pretty impressive. Too bad the movie wasn't as good as it could've been. It was alright though.

Hopefully a good portion of those people read the (better) book that it's based on.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I liked it.

It's better than Annihilation, though not as good as A Quiet Place. Cast is kind of loaded for a Netflix film.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I always wonder how this actually makes Netflix money. Do people subscribe to Netflix just to watch this content? I always felt like I would never watch most Netflix shows or movies if I didn't already subscribe to Netflix.

But maybe that's easy for me to say because I've always had it. It certainly builds the value of the brand if they ever decide to sell, but how do they actually make back their money?

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it is always the most mediocre netflix movies that get noticed like Bird Box, Bright, or Cloverfield.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I always wonder how this actually makes Netflix money. Do people subscribe to Netflix just to watch this content? I always felt like I would never watch most Netflix shows or movies if I didn't already subscribe to Netflix.

But maybe that's easy for me to say because I've always had it. It certainly builds the value of the brand if they ever decide to sell, but how do they actually make back their money?

It does make you wonder, and I've wondered the same thing. I guess they hope for word of mouth and reviews, or star power like Sandra Bullock, to get them new subscribers. They also raised prices $3, at least in Canada.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this movie was popular when I started seeing a bunch of no context memes about it. If your movie ain't getting memes then it ain't shit.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Watched it with my brothers two days ago cause I like horror/thriller movies and I enjoyed it. I think I preferred it to a quiet place actually.

My brothers didn't enjoy it much though.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Wife and I quite enjoyed it, nice to see Sandra Bullock still performing too.

Also would have liked to have seen the creatures or whatever the hell they were.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
How many accounts "watched" this movie when the dash board launched into the film after their tiny preview window. Also as with every time they release these marketing promos, someone pushing play on a service they already pay for doesn't mean anything. When people have to get in a car to go see something is when I'll pay attention.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
How many of the accounts "watched" this movie when the dash board launched into the film after their tiny preview window.
Oh, so this is what happened. I launched Netflix to watch it and while getting ready it started playing and had no idea why it did that. I figured I must have hit play somehow without realizing it.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
44mil finished watching and immediately wondered why they watched another mediocre Netflix film

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This was a really OK movie. I tend not to watch crappy movies and this was as close to the borderline as any movie I can ever remember where I was always an inch away from getting up and leaving my wife to watch it alone. The ending long sequence made up for a lot of the doldrums though.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not about making money in the traditional sense, they are already making money. It's about annual budgets and creating content that can stir the public interest to maintain subscribers in anticipation and hopefully gain new ones.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about making money in the traditional sense, they are already making money. It's about annual budgets and creating content that can stir the public interest to maintain subscribers in anticipation and gain new ones.

Correct. The goal is retaining monthly subscriptions by releasing big content on a regular basis.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

You are most of the way to a part answer here. Netflix getting new subscribers is important, and new (and exclusive) content is part of that strategy, but also important for them to be bringing enough new content to the table to keep existing subscribers reupping.

If they do just enough to keep you on the hook (as you imply they are), then this sort of film is doing its job.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I don't know why it is always the most mediocre netflix movies that get noticed like Bird Box, Bright, or Cloverfield.

Netflix advertises their own shit, on a platform and mailing list that their customers can't ignore?

Seriously, if you booted up Netflix any time in the month before Bright came out, you saw the trailer.

Not sure why Quiet Place is being compared since this film is based on a book that did the concept first

I imagine most people never heard of the book before they saw the Sandra Bullock headshot in their queue, and A Quiet Place is one of the better pop-horror films of the last few years with a somewhat similar concept. I dunno, just telling people what to expect. I do think that the threshold for quality goes lower with streaming services, since all of these movies are "free" with your sub.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Between this and Bright, the big budget Netflix Chrsitmas movie is just going to be a thing from now on, huh? It makes sense, people are exhausted from dealing with family or need something to watch with their family and are all probably broke from spending God knows how much on presents, so they sit at home and click on that huge banner with an actor that they know on it.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Even my Dad knew about it: I payed him a visit, he asked me "Have you heard about that movie called "Box something", and I told him "Yes, you mean "Bird Box". It's on Netflix. We could watch it right now?", and so we did.