• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, this might be a bit of an odd question, but does anyone have any recommendations for shows similar to Evangelion—but specifically, the middle section of the show?

I think that part of the show tends to be considered the weakest, but I quite liked it. It's kind of like a standard fun monster-of-the-week, but it's also sort of uncomfortable because the situation is clearly messed up, and no one particularly likes each other, but they're trying to get along and create a "happy family" atmosphere anyway.

I want to watch an entire series that's like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's short, but madoka magicka might fit that bill.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It's short, but madoka magicka might fit that bill.

Nah, I love Madoka Magica, but it's not quite what I'm thinking of. Thanks, though!

I'm in the mood for a particular atmosphere, but it's hard to describe what it is. Sort of an overall "fun-ness", but with an underlying tension looming over everything.

It doesn't really matter.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So, this might be a bit of an odd question, but does anyone have any recommendations for shows similar to Evangelion—but specifically, the middle section of the show?

I think that part of the show tends to be considered the weakest, but I quite liked it. It's kind of like a standard fun monster-of-the-week, but it's also sort of uncomfortable because the situation is clearly messed up, and no one particularly likes each other, but they're trying to get along and create a "happy family" atmosphere anyway.

I want to watch an entire series that's like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Gunbuster, the GOAT anime

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017

I want to preface that I tried rewatching it on Amazon a while back and maybe it was the forced aspect ratio or the English dubbing but I didn't enjoy it all that much.

But RahXephon might fit the bill. The plot felt overly abstract but it has that slice of life tension of the main character accepting that his coworkers / adoptive family are keeping secrets.

... in those terms maybe Eureka Seven?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Gunbuster, the GOAT anime
I want to preface that I tried rewatching it on Amazon a while back and maybe it was the forced aspect ratio or the English dubbing but I didn't enjoy it all that much.

But RahXephon might fit the bill. The plot felt overly abstract but it has that slice of life tension of the main character accepting that his coworkers / adoptive family are keeping secrets.

... in those terms maybe Eureka Seven?

Thank you!

Gunbuster doesn't seem to be available for streaming anywhere, and RahXephon unfortunately isn't available in Canada. Coincidentally, I just watched the first episode of Eureka Seven last night (or, I guess "coincidentally" is a bad word considering I'm specifically trying to look for a certain type of show here). It didn't grab me, but I'll give it a few more episodes.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you!

Gunbuster doesn't seem to be available for streaming anywhere, and RahXephon unfortunately isn't available in Canada. Coincidentally, I just watched the first episode of Eureka Seven last night (or, I guess "coincidentally" is a bad word considering I'm specifically trying to look for a certain type of show here). It didn't grab me, but I'll give it a few more episodes.
Alas.

What's not grabbing you about it do you think? Do you want a more grounded atmosphere? Less shounen protagonist?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Alas.

What's not grabbing you about it do you think? Do you want a more grounded atmosphere? Less shounen protagonist?

Nah, nothing in particular. I've only watched one episode after all—I don't really know the characters or the plot or anything but the most basic setting and premise. Just a gut feeling. Sometimes you're engaged with a show from the very start and sometimes you're not.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017

I wonder if you might get what you want from Humanity has Declined.
It's quite a different show, in that it's much more of a comedy, but there's a real underlying darkness in this society that isn't quite post-apocalyptic, but definitely on the way out.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if you might get what you want from Humanity has Declined.
It's quite a different show, in that it's much more of a comedy, but there's a real underlying darkness in this society that isn't quite post-apocalyptic, but definitely on the way out.

I've never heard of it before. Looks like it could be interesting. Thank you!

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Hey guys, just recently finished watching. I wanted to ask, does anybody else feel like Eva was probably pretty Lynch-inspired? It doesn't seem like a stretch considering how big Twin Peaks got in Japan, around the same time Eva was in it's proposal stages. They're both works that start as a relatively typical example of a popular genre, then slowly descend into a dark, surrealistic deconstruction of that same genre and it's themes.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, just recently finished watching. I wanted to ask, does anybody else feel like Eva was probably pretty Lynch-inspired? It doesn't seem like a stretch considering how big Twin Peaks got in Japan, around the same time Eva was in it's proposal stages. They're both works that start as a relatively typical example of a popular genre, then slowly descend into a dark, surrealistic deconstruction of that same genre and it's themes.
Lost in the Movies, which put out some great content about Twin Peaks, also noted the similarities potentially born from influence:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I actually just watched this for the first time a month ago. I really enjoyed it. I can see what all the fuss was about.

I thought the differences in the series and movie endings were fascinating. I prefer the conclusion of the series in regard to Shinji's final breakthrough - and in retrospect if you could merge the two fictions and make Shinii's realization of self-worth the deciding factor in the tipping point for Yui's plan of Human Instrumentalism to actually work and lead back to individualism, you'd have something that wrapped up nicely. As it is, the movie hints at individuality in its last moments but it's ambiguous at best, and could be that Shinji and Asuka are simply the last humans alive (hence the graves?). I don't know. I'm trying to find a way to forgive Shinji for being such a whiny little bitch the whole show.

Also what was with the sudden nudity in the movie? Everybody needed Asuka and Rei's nipples to be canon?Asuka bit especially felt like fan service.

Last edited:

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
Got done with this series, watched EoE and all of the Remake movies. I'll give the remakes credit with the better animation and smoother pacing, but I miss the whole characterization and back stories of the characters. I mean, they were depressing as fuck, but they added so much depth to their characters that the remake movies just kind of gloss over.

So, uh, quick question but is it a bad omen to have a dream about being in a department store and Komm Susser Tod starts playing over the PA? Asking for a friend.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I just finished the berserk anime run two nights ago and liked it way more. I was with neo until the end when it just went off the rails for me. Kinda similar bat shit endings but I actually want to read the berserk manga now and really don't care about neo.

I think it's also about when you see neo during your life. I'm 37 now but if I saw it 20 years ago it might have impacted me more. Austin walker wouldn't shut up about it so I finally got around to it when it was released on Netflix. That ending and then reading about the subsequent movie plots just really soured me on it.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished the berserk anime run two nights ago and liked it way more. I was with neo until the end when it just went off the rails for me. Kinda similar bat shit endings but I actually want to read the berserk manga now and really don't care about neo.

Out of curiosity, which anime run did you watch?
I'm guessing the 1997 run rather than the later CG reboot and continuation.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched a few episodes, they were a bit shorter and more dull than I remember from 20-25 years ago.

OP
OP
munchie64

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's also about when you see neo during your life. I'm 37 now but if I saw it 20 years ago it might have impacted me more. Austin walker wouldn't shut up about it so I finally got around to it when it was released on Netflix. That ending and then reading about the subsequent movie plots just really soured me on it.
I mean, Eva's the ending and Berserk is specifically not. I don't see many comparisons between them though, so that's interesting.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I was the same age as the protagonists when I first watched it and having rewatched it again this year I think it still holds up, I caught a lot of thinks that went over my head back then. I think this show is incredible, except for the ending of course.
I hated EoE back then and I still do. Rewatching it now I actually realized that Shinji literally spends the whole film just sitting or being dragged by Misato. He literally doesn't do anything at all.
And Asuka really has it rough both in the show and the movie, it's like they enjoy torturing her.
I hope the remake gives us a better conclusion.

But yeah, Eva is iconic for a reason, I think it's a masterpiece. It's incredible how vividly I still remembered most of it. I don't remember anything else that clearly from so long ago, a lot of scenes really left an impression thanks to the designs of the Evas and the angels and the way they were animated. And Misato was my favorite character back then and still is.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Out of curiosity, which anime run did you watch?
I'm guessing the 1997 run rather than the later CG reboot and continuation.

Yeah it was the 1997 run

I mean, Eva's the ending and Berserk is specifically not. I don't see many comparisons between them though, so that's interesting.

I guess my point is they both end on wtf moments. I realize that that's not the end of berserk but I was actually interested in continuing following berserk as opposed to neo and since I just watched it the other night and it had a bonkers left field "ending" I thought it was tangential to this thread.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was the 1997 run

I guess my point is they both end on wtf moments. I realize that that's not the end of berserk but I was actually interested in continuing following berserk as opposed to neo and since I just watched it the other night and it had a bonkers left field "ending" I thought it was tangential to this thread.
I've only read the manga of Berserk, where does the anime end? Eclipse?

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the original anime ended at the Eclipse.
I can I guess sort of see the comparison to Eva, but man are they going for different things.

I think the love of Eva come from when it came out and what it does that other anime wasn't really touching in the same way. Even still, there's only a handful of anime that delves into depression as deeply as Eva does, and the ending of the series is in service of that, which love it or hate it, makes Eva stand out imo.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if they'll push back the release of 3.0+1.0 because of the pandemic.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This show legit cured my depression
The show had a weird effect on mine similarly when i first watched it years ago. IDK If i would consider what i was going through as depression but certainly high anxiety and to a point isolation. Seeing emotions expressed so psychologically was very cathartic. Its great that it helped you, I'm sure it has for a lot. ( or maybe opposite for others)
Another reason why this show is so fascinating for me personally.

So um due to this virus i wonder what the word will be on the final movie this year. If they'll delay or move it digitally. Has there been any word?

Oct 26, 2017
Man I just finished this show. I thought it was boring as shit up until episode 15. I almost dropped it but glad I stuck it out. I was expecting hype robot fights but this was something else. GG would recommend.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well now you have to tell us how you feel after watching the movie Kwigo hehe
I liked it more than the series ending, way less confusing, the animation was beautiful but wtf at the sudden oversexualization of everyone and everything. It was so subtle in the show, but they put it into overdrive there!

Also it's still extremely funny to me how NGE is nothing like it's promo material. You expect awesome mecha action and you get some weird ass psycho thriller with lots of religious imagery. I kinda just wanna watch a braindead mecha action series now tbh.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Does 1.11 work as a subtitute for the first 6 episodes? I think the fresh coat of paint and faster pacing might get my gf into it.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
Does 1.11 work as a subtitute for the first 6 episodes? I think the fresh coat of paint and faster pacing might get my gf into it.
There are some significant differences in the second half of 1.11 and the first six episodes of the TV series in case you are just going to switch back to the show after that. Plus the runtime is only about 20 minutes different between the two if you skip the OP/ED/Previews of each episode.