• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, I'm on the same page as you on this. A large number of viewers attempt to erase episodes 25 & 26 by telling people not to watch them, or that it's all "the same thing" and I think that's attempt to change the ending of the show just because it's not traditionally palatable.

Which is bad. Neon Genesis Evangelion is one work, End of Evangelion is another, please think about them for what they are, not what you want them to be.

Imo they are not quite as separate. EoE does directly link into the TV series after all. I think while the TV ending and EoE focus on different things and explore different aspect of the shows themes they also inform each other.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I'm on the same page as you on this. A large number of viewers attempt to erase episodes 25 & 26 by telling people not to watch them, or that it's all "the same thing" and I think that's attempt to change the ending of the show just because it's not traditionally palatable.

Which is bad. Neon Genesis Evangelion is one work, End of Evangelion is another, please think about them for what they are, not what you want them to be.
I agree.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking idiotic literalism. It's one of the things i wasn't looking forward to having to see. You know the kind of videos i mean. EVANGELION EXPLAINED blah blah blah.

Dan did a really good vid about the general topic.
Don't even get me started on video essays in general lmao, most of them offer no insights of their own and if you're lucky you get one that isn't narrated or edited through a smug, tryhard voice.

I also find the notion of skipping material kinda silly. You're only gonna know whether you like it or not after you watch it.

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
Cool to see parts of the original TV promo I saw in Australia all those years ago. Including SBS voice-over guy.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope it's become evident to everyone that Asuka is without a doubt the most skilled pilot.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
After seeing the whole series plus End for the first time, I can't imagine how anyone who calls themselves a fan of this show could tell new viewers not to watch 25 & 26.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Imo they are not quite as separate. EoE does directly link into the TV series after all. I think while the TV ending and EoE focus on different things and explore different aspect of the shows themes they also inform each other.
I can understand your reading on a thematic level, but the 'direct link' is somewhat debatable as you can read the two works as telling very different stories that are fundamentally incompatible.

I think a larger point is that this isn't sone modern Marvel continuity thing where one work is created with a plan to follow up with a sequel. When the series ended that was the complete work. There could easily have never been an End of Evangelion movie. That's part of why I think it's helpful to consider them as their own projects.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so why the fuck is an eva pilot the "third children" and not child? it is driving me absolutely nuts

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
After finishing Cowboy Bebop on Netflix, I decided to watch another anime in the same decade and since this anime has a strong following, I figured I should watch it. Four episodes in and I'm not liking it...The main character is really annoying me and those fan service scenes is also really bothering me. I hate anime with fan service scenes that are over the top. I know not everything can be like Carole and Tuesday or Cowboy Bebop but the fan service is just off-putting. I'll keep watching it but if it doesn't get better after episode 10, I'm dropping it...

OP
OP
munchie64

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After finishing Cowboy Bebop on Netflix, I decided to watch another anime in the same decade and since this anime has a strong following, I figured I should watch it. Four episodes in and I'm not liking it...The main character is really annoying me and those fan service scenes is also really bothering me. I hate anime with fan service scenes that are over the top. I know not everything can be like Carole and Tuesday or Cowboy Bebop but the fan service is just off-putting. I'll keep watching it but if it doesn't get better after episode 10, I'm dropping it...
It is a series that explores sexuality, so that'll never end.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Six episodes in and everything, so far, is reasonably normal. EVEN THE
penguin.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure how people think episodes 25 and 26 and EoE are different takes on the same ending. They aren't at all despite covering the same series of events and dealing with a lot similar themes and imagery. They lead to very very different endings that to me are on nearly different ends of the spectrum.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I mean Evangelion is a show that deals with human relationships and sexuality, so don't expect the fan service to end.
I figured that it was a literal translation. But... WHY
Its a long story, but to summarize: Studio Khara (The studio Anno founded and current rights-holder to Eva) became suspicious of another company's (Funimation) localization of the third rebuild movie after the movie was screened to western audiences; Funimation upped the romantic involvement between a certain pair of characters and those at the screening just couldn't handle it. This led to Khara doing their own, more literal localization, and presumbly, they did the same thing here. I expect that they just don't trust localization companies now. To be fair, there are also reports that ADV had to fight against Gainax to use "Child" instead of "Children" in their localization, but those reports are unconfirmed to my knowledge. The saga of 3.0's localization is actually a pretty interesting story so I recommend you look into it yourself.
I'm still not sure how people think episodes 25 and 26 and EoE are different takes on the same ending. They aren't at all despite covering the same series of events and dealing with a lot similar themes and imagery. They lead to very very different endings that to me are on nearly different ends of the spectrum.
I personally have always seen End of Eva to have the same outlook as 25 & 26, just less forgiving and more bitter, which would make sense given what went on at the time. I still think it ends on a decently positive note. Sure the world is a wreck, but humanity has survived. Furthermore, two characters who have spent the entire series failing to understand themselves or others have finally taken the first step towards establishing a healthy relationship. Asuka, knowing what the kid has gone through due to Instrumentality, carresses him, and Shinji, upon finally being accepted by someone besides Kaworu, stops lashing out and weeps. Its not a healthy relationship, but it is a start.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shinji is depressed and afraid, he's not supposed to be cool and "likeable".

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Evangelion is a show that deals with human relationships and sexuality, so don't expect the fan service to end.

Its a long story, but to summarize: Studio Khara (The studio Anno founded and current rights-holder to Eva) became suspicious of another company's (Funimation) localization of the third rebuild movie after the movie was screened to western audiences; Funimation upped the romantic involvement between a certain pair of characters and those at the screening just couldn't handle it. This led to Khara doing their own, more literal localization, and presumbly, they did the same thing here. I expect that they just don't trust localization companies now. To be fair, there are also reports that ADV had to fight against Gainax to use "Child" instead of "Children" in their localization, but those reports are unconfirmed to my knowledge. The saga of 3.0's localization is actually a pretty interesting story so I recommend you look into it yourself.

I personally have always seen End of Eva to have the same outlook as 25 & 26, just less forgiving and more bitter, which would make sense given what went on at the time. I still think it ends on a decently positive note. Sure the world is a wreck, but humanity has survived. Furthermore, two characters who have spent the entire series failing to understand themselves or others have finally taken the first step towards establishing a healthy relationship. Asuka, knowing what the kid has gone through due to Instrumentality, carresses him, and Shinji, upon finally being accepted by someone besides Kaworu, stops lashing out and weeps. Its not a healthy relationship, but it is a start.

Not even just that but I always took the show ending as Shinji going for three "easy" out and accepting human instrumentality where the movie is him rejecting it and going back to the real world even if it's going back to all that pain and trauma. However I'm still going through a rewatch after more than a decade so maybe my opinion will change.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered
If the TV ending is about Shinji accepting instrumentality, why is it so focused on Shinji finding his individuality? It's a moot point in that case.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Not even just that but I always took the show ending as Shinji going for three "easy" out and accepting human instrumentality where the movie is him rejecting it and going back to the real world even if it's going back to all that pain and trauma. However I'm still going through a rewatch after more than a decade so maybe my opinion will change.
Yeah, I'm afraid we just have completely different views on 25 & 26. I respect the view of 25 & 26 as a less positive ending, but I've always seen it as Shinji accepting the very flaws Instrumentality was meant to "solve", and by doing so, Shinji rejects the entire concept of Instrumentality. Maybe my view will change, but we'll see. Hope you enjoy the rewatch, I've been progressing at one episode a day with the reddit rewatch so I'll probably be a bit behind everyone else.

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I've always seen the TV ending as a refusal of instrumentality as Shinji learns to love himself, that's why the world starts breaking apart at the end

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've always seen the TV ending as a refusal of instrumentality as Shinji learns to love himself, that's why the world starts breaking apart at the end
I agree. The concepts Shinji accepts would be impossible to maintain under instrumentality.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Watching the series finale RIGHT before going to bed was probably not my smartest move. What an absolute mind fuck. But later on I'll enjoy a rewatch.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen the show plenty back in the 90's on VHS, but threw on ep 1 last night.

Biggest takeaway is how crazy it is seeing this in 1080 in 5.1 audio. My memory really recalled it looking and sounding very dirty.

New VO seemed fine, but I mostly watched it subbed originally, so wanted to try the new English. Seemed fine really. May watch it all through. It's been decades for me,

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
First time watcher here. Four episodes in and I've had two prevailing thoughts:

1. Ah yes, Pacific Rim
2. I guess it being a tv show rather than a movie has something to with why they apparently really really want to show this purple haired girls' tits but can't, so they're making up for it with as much innuendo and loose clothing and booty shots as possible.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm afraid we just have completely different views on 25 & 26. I respect the view of 25 & 26 as a less positive ending, but I've always seen it as Shinji accepting the very flaws Instrumentality was meant to "solve", and by doing so, Shinji rejects the entire concept of Instrumentality. Maybe my view will change, but we'll see. Hope you enjoy the rewatch, I've been progressing at one episode a day with the reddit rewatch so I'll probably be a bit behind everyone else.

I took it as Human Instrumentality is supposed to be the ultimate feel good escape. Everyone is there, they're all happy and they want you to be happy as well so you give up on the real world where things don't ever turn out like what Shinji is experiencing. It's meant to break down your personal barriers and defenses so there is no more resistance to joining. EoE was about rejecting such a hollow and forced notion and returning to the real world where you can live a real life even if it's a shitty life.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how anyone could understand 25 and 26 as anything but
Shinji rejecting instrumentality. He is literally congratulated for accepting his individuality and meaning as a person. It just cuts to credits before he gets sent back to the real world.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know how you've survived Cowboy Bebop if you can't stand fan service. There is nothing in the original iteration of Evangelion that can compare how the camera treats Faye Valentine (or just the very existence of that character).

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I took it as Human Instrumentality is supposed to be the ultimate feel good escape. Everyone is there, they're all happy and they want you to be happy as well so you give up on the real world where things don't ever turn out like what Shinji is experiencing. It's meant to break down your personal barriers and defenses so there is no more resistance to joining. EoE was about rejecting such a hollow and forced notion and returning to the real world where you can live a real life even if it's a shitty life.
Huh, I took it as being as representing a means of getting around the ambiguity in human relationships. Shinji hates this ambiguity because it means that everyone he talks to might be secretly rejecting him, even if they put on an outward face of acceptance. That is, due to his own self-loathing, Shinji sees hatred and rejection wherever the ambiguity appears. By accepting his own flaws and recognizing his own existence is worthwhile in 25 & 26, Shinji overcomes his own loathing and accepts the ambiguity in relationships; after all, by accepting himself, Shinji is able to recognize that the ambiguity doesn't always mean people are rejecting him. Assuming this is all true, there would be no reason for Shinji to accept Instrumentality in episodes 25 & 26, for Shinji has come to terms with the very problem Instrumentality was meant to solve.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know how you've survived Cowboy Bebop if you can't stand fan service. There is nothing in the original iteration of Evangelion that can compare how the camera treats Faye Valentine (or just the very existence of that character).

I was really confused by that too with that post lol like Faye is just as bad visually and probably a much worse character.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the main series, watched the Director's Cut versions of episodes 21-24. Is it worth it to watch (Death)^2 which I've never seen or should I just go straight to EoE?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand your reading on a thematic level, but the 'direct link' is somewhat debatable as you can read the two works as telling very different stories that are fundamentally incompatible.

I think a larger point is that this isn't sone modern Marvel continuity thing where one work is created with a plan to follow up with a sequel. When the series ended that was the complete work. There could easily have never been an End of Evangelion movie. That's part of why I think it's helpful to consider them as their own projects.
It's like Agents of Shield and the movies!! #itsallconnected

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't even do that, he merely begins to consider the possibility of maybe liking himself one day. Despite that feel-good framing of the final scene, Shinji still hates himself when it cuts to credits. It's "congrats, you took the first step" not "congratulations, depression has been defeated!"

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I have yet to watch EoE, but how

did the Human Instrumentality Project began if there was no Third Impact? Why do they need to destroy all Angels before initializing the Project and so the Third Impact? Kinda confused