• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
D9mq2o4XkAAg9zU.png

EDIT: This is a fake tweet... a joke.
Goddammit.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not home to watch this and it's killing me, but does a new dub mean that the EoE is actually good this time? Because outside of maybe Shinji and Misato the original English dub of that movie is baaaaad.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
One thing i appreciate about this new dub is they pronounce Nerv right. In fact, the german in general is a lot better.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first 4 episodes last night and I come here to see that there have been changes that people are mad about - I'm curious to know if it's something I should worry about but the thread about it says "spoilers" in the title so I don't want to click it...

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the first 4 episodes last night and I come here to see that there have been changes that people are mad about - I'm curious to know if it's something I should worry about but the thread about it says "spoilers" in the title so I don't want to click it...

The only significant change is in Episode 24. I wouldn't click on the spoiler before that.

There's some stylistic changes but those don't matter much for a first time viewer.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing you should be concerned about until after you've finished as a first timer

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the main difference people are upset with in this localization is something very late in the show.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There's music missing from two scenes in the show (in episodes 15 and 21) and the same song was replaced during end credits of every episode. Written Japanese shown on screen (some of which is important) is often left untranslated. Some questionable translations in both subtitles and the dub.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Misato is right about not adding as much hot water to pot noodles as the packaging tells you to.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly, it's not a big deal. Watch it and then find the original scene people are complaining about to see the difference, it's in episode 24. Don't search for it before.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
"Tune in next time for lots more fan service" is the promise at the end of episode one. Ha.

I don't mind the piano piece during the end credits but it totally gives the end of the show a much more somber vibe instead of the weird and twisted vibe provided by "Fly Me to the Moon." Still, no big deal and doesn't ruin the show for me at all.

The pronunciation of NERV caught me off guard, though.

And what's with the "third children" line instead of "third child"?

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Thank you very much for all these information in the OT!

I always wanted to catch up with NGE, but not only was it hard to find, but it was also confusing as heck for me to get into it, because I knew there were several movies and I didn't even know where to start.

Now, it's finally time and I watched the very first episode. So far it seems exciting enough - especially the music, sort of triumphiant bu-t still melancholic. really kicked me in the best way. Apart from that it was an interesting mix between the typical anime melodrama, some surprising comedy and a huge action set-up - not the worst combination! And I really dig the design of the angel right now, seems very otherworldy. It will be interesting to prorgress, since I've heard that the show will also reach some philosophical aspects, which is something I wouldn't have expected from a Mecha Anime to be honest.

A last question: I'd like to listen the podcast from episode to episode. Has anybody here already listened to it and could tell me, if they spoil or are they really only working with the information presented in the respective episodes?

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So i never watched anime, and started with this one because people says is good

I think is awesome so far but...is very sexual in some ways? Not that im complaining, but was not expecting

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The first episode of Evangelion is still one of the best first episodes in any series. Even when I'm just checking it out to see the quality of the Netflix release, I still feel compelled to watch the whole thing.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fanservice is pretty tame compared to what has come out of anime since.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Thank you very much for all these information in the OT!

I always wanted to catch up with NGE, but not only was it hard to find, but it was also confusing as heck for me to get into it, because I knew there were several movies and I didn't even know where to start.

Now, it's finally time and I watched the very first episode. So far it seems exciting enough - especially the music, sort of triumphiant bu-t still melancholic. really kicked me in the best way. Apart from that it was an interesting mix between the typical anime melodrama, some surprising comedy and a huge action set-up - not the worst combination! And I really dig the design of the angel right now, seems very otherworldy. It will be interesting to prorgress, since I've heard that the show will also reach some philosophical aspects, which is something I wouldn't have expected from a Mecha Anime to be honest.

A last question: I'd like to listen the podcast from episode to episode. Has anybody here already listened to it and could tell me, if they spoil or are they really only working with the information presented in the respective episodes?

Which podcast are you talking about? I feel pretty into this show right now too and would love to be part of the fan experience. (I watched the anime in the 90s)

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fanservice is pretty tame compared to what has come out of anime since.
Definitely. It's funny being somewhat bothered by it at my age now while I remember seeing way, waaaaayyyyyyy more gratuitous material in the mid-late 2000s when I was still super invested with anime.

Nov 14, 2017
A few more episodes in and it feels like it has become a different show almost. I was really digging the tone and visuals of the first handful of episodes but now it feels like it's becoming like a more straightforward monster of the week kinda thing? I imagine this is probably not all there is to the rest of the show, but again, a lot of you wanted impressions from first-timers and that's mine currently.
It stays like that for the first dozen episodes or so, then you still get Angel attack episodes but the tone shifts to a more character focused psychodrama, and then for the last few episodes is where it really goes places.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm already at episode 11 and I'm loving it. I was surprised by the fan service too though lmao

Min

Oct 25, 2017
So like I saw the series last year, and there's really few like it in terms of how the camera and frames are blocked and how fluid the animation is and the sound design. But I also find it really strange and gross about the nudity and sexualization of the 13-year old girls.

Making this post because I am actually watching EoE for the first time and that opening scene is WOW.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I just watched the first two episodes. I'll watch more later after Agents of SHIELD. I really don't like the new dub so far.

Oct 25, 2017
I think most of the dub is an improvement, at least after the first few episodes. Most of the side characters are improvements, especially the classmates and the SEELE talking heads.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched the first like 4 episodes way back but never finished it because I didn't feel like being put in a depressing state after finishing it. Giving it a new watch this weekend and plan on getting through most of it before Monday. I'm so excited!
So will they eventually add the rebuild movies as well?
I think Funimation has the rights to those, so maybe not? I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's who released them in the West. Some Funi stuff has come to Netflix before though, so we'll see.