• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We need your seething hot new takes, new viewers.

Also, I'm already at Episode 6 in my rewatch and I just realized that I preferred the much updated Rebuild version of this segment because of how they went all out with that budget lol.

Disclaimer: I haven't re-seen the OG series in more than a decade now at this point.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
EoE was done by Manga Entertainment, not ADV.
Ah yes. It's been a few years! I jest but in all honesty the original dub was fine other than EoE and a few nitpicky things. I remember something with
Kaji's death
being altered too though.

The new people sound great other than Asuka, but Tiffany Grant's performance stuck out to me even after switching to subs. I watched episode 22 to get a feel for the new Asuka and she just wasn't selling the emotion the same way, Grant sounded legit in hysterics at times during her big scene. To credit them and nitpick the old dub some more they finally fixed the
"Hi I'm Asuka" scene to have all the different voice actors read the line.
But the series being legally available to show people makes all the little issues worth it.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
if this has been asked before in this thread im sorry - if I've never seen this show before, is this new dub acceptable? should I track down the old dub and watch that instead? really want to avoid having to watch it subbed, but I'll do it if both dubs are garbage
Imo you can opt to watch the netflix one then watch the rebuild in dubbed to judge the performance of the respective actors in a much modern production

I mean I enjoyed the original dub and haven't really watch the new one except for certain key performance. Certainly i'm bias and I like the original cast better it would be nice to hear a newcomer perspective

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
First time watcher: I just finished episode 6, which is where someone said "a lot of people will drop off at this point and say it's generic" or something like that. So far I'm interested to keep going, and I assume some mind-blowing stuff is probably coming based on the way people talk about this series.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I always felt it ended on a hopeful note.

the original anime ending or the end of evangelion film? (i haven't seen the latter)

i dunno...it was pretty bleak, right? for the anime ending....

all of humanity synchronized or something right in that abstract shinji clapping party? i mean, i guess it's good everyone came together, but it seemed more like against the will of humanity...

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Never seen the show before, and was wanting to finally watch it with this release, but hearing that

a queer character has been de-queered in the new dub

makes me super second-guess my desire to watch it. Should I just hunt down the old version of the show instead of watching this one?

OP
OP
munchie64

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First time watcher: I just finished episode 6, which is where someone said "a lot of people will drop off at this point and say it's generic" or something like that. So far I'm interested to keep going, and I assume some mind-blowing stuff is probably coming based on the way people talk about this series.
Oh it's definitely not generic. I think the slow pace of episode 4 may scare some off though. Six is when things are exciting.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
They took out the intermission countdown with the tango piece.

I.am.OUT.

This is all so weak. Don't care if that was a theatrical thing. I'll stick to my rips.

OP
OP
munchie64

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen the show before, and was wanting to finally watch it with this release, but hearing that

makes me super second-guess my desire to watch it. Should I just hunt down the old version of the show instead of watching this one?
I'd say watch. It's pretty obvious where the hole is, and you can always come in here to discuss what has been changed after your done.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It's fine, seems the spoilered bit is the only major major issue.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

it's kinda hard to explain without the context but it's not as straight (lol) forward as that

i would still watch it, and it doesn't so much seem to me like they completely removed it, just made it less explicitly stated

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh it's definitely not generic. I think the slow pace of episode 4 may scare some off though. Six is when things are exciting.
I barely remember much of the show at this point, and episode 4 is by the best one I've seen since I started.

What I'm hoping is that despite some of the evident language change, there may be still enough subtext there once I see it. So I think it's still worth a shot, despite how kind of damning of a change it is out of all the other ones.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Okay what's going on here? Suummation?

All I've got on me is the 2001 (I think) DVD set from ADV and I've always been confused about how the later ones were better or whatever. I think they just remastered the video and audio right? Before Netflix announced this I was gonna give these DVDs a rewatch but I was gonna do it on a CRT.

Language-wise I've never seen Eva from beginning to end in Japanese so I was gonna go subbed. I heard there was a new dub but now it seems like they actually retranslated everything including the subs. is Death(True)2 worth it if I didn't care much for Death & Rebirth? Personally my preferred ending is still ep 25 & 26.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
D9mNQBWXUAcbjhr.jpg
Actually, that's the official Evangelion 2.0 subtitle. Kinda weird that Anno omitted the "(not)" formula on that one, but at least he's being honest.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say watch. It's pretty obvious where the hole is, and you can always come in here to discuss what has been changed after your done.
It's fine, seems the spoilered bit is the only major major issue.
it's kinda hard to explain without the context but it's not as straight (lol) forward as that

i would still watch it, and it doesn't so much seem to me like they completely removed it, just made it less explicitly stated
What I'm hoping is that despite some of the evident language change, there may be still enough subtext there once I see it. So I think it's still worth a shot, despite how kind of damning of a change it is out of all the other ones.
I'll just watch the Netflix version then, and keep in mind that that aspect was changed. Thanks all.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

The new script was translated in-house by Studio Khara (creator Hideaki Anno's studio) and not by Netflix. Changes like that are likely just attempts to bring it closer to the original Japanese script. They seem to have gone fairly literal with the new dub / subs.

Just my opinion here, but I'm actually not sure the new translation loses all of its queer context anyway, though that could be the result of having the original version of that scene in my mind for so many years.

OP
OP
munchie64

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just realised... have they completely cut out the English episode titles? I loved some of them.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please spoil me on the de-queering? I've seen the show numerous times.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We need a threadmark post with all the known changes listed I think.

Okay what's going on here? Suummation?

All I've got on me is the 2001 (I think) DVD set from ADV and I've always been confused about how the later ones were better or whatever. I think they just remastered the video and audio right? Before Netflix announced this I was gonna give these DVDs a rewatch but I was gonna do it on a CRT.

Language-wise I've never seen Eva from beginning to end in Japanese so I was gonna go subbed. I heard there was a new dub but now it seems like they actually retranslated everything including the subs. is Death(True)2 worth it if I didn't care much for Death & Rebirth? Personally my preferred ending is still ep 25 & 26.

The 2001/2002 DVD set uses masters from the original VHS releases and does not include director's cuts of episodes 21-24 whereas the later Platinum sets are based on remastered Japanese DVDs ad do include the DCs..

Death(True)2 & Death and Rebirth are the same thing aren't they? First half is a recap of the series and the second half is the first half of the End of Evangelion. In short, it is entirely skippable.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

No they just corrected a bad translation from all that I see.
He never said 'I love you' in the original just that 'I like you'. The homoerotic inplication is there but subtle.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
He never said 'I love you' in the original just that 'I like you'. The homoerotic inplication is there but subtle
I was going to ask this, given NGE's heavy Christian subtext it makes sense. It could be speaking to how a God loves someone.

But I still prefer the overtly homoerotic version. 😢

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
dan2026 said:
He never said 'I love you' in the original just that 'I like you'. The homoerotic inplication is there but subtle.
"I like you" has completely different non-romantic connotations in English. It's a translator's job to show meaning and they completely failed.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I like you"

"I'm the lowest of the low."

No "Fly Me to the Moon"

I was so excited to finally show my fiancé this but now I'm just bummed out.

Nov 14, 2017
Love/Like is very tricky to get right when translating from Japanese. The consensus on that line for a long time has been that love is the correct translation because he's saying it as one would say to another close friend. It's not explicitly gay, but in many ways the Shinji / Kaworu relationship could be said to have queer coding. The changing of that line doesn't really change the overall tone of their relationship, but it's understandable how queer fans feel aggrieved by the change.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Can someone please spoil me on the de-queering? I've seen the show numerous times.

From what i've read in this thread all that is really changed is a line where they say "I like you" instead of "I love you" - the show isn't significantly changed in any way, and FWIW it sounds like it may simply be translation errors rather than an intentional queer erasure thing like some are making it out to be. The scenes and everything beyond that are still all the same.

Like I get it, the impact of the wording is lessened, but some of you really make it seem like a way bigger deal than it is; when it gets to the point of people questioning whether they should watch it or not, go ahead and watch. It's still the same show, no scenes are missing.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for the responses everyone. guess new dub it is. can't wait to dive in this weekend

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
My Japanese isn't great so I may get owned here by someone more knowledgeable, but I feel like if it was always meant to be so overt the Japanese script would have used something stronger than "suki". To me "I like you" more accurately keeps some of the ambiguity that the original line had (oddly, even ADV's original subtitles used like instead of love). And all the subtext surrounding it is still there.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
My Japanese isn't great so I may get owned here by someone more knowledgeable, but I feel like if it was always meant to be so overt the Japanese script would have used something stronger than "suki". To me "I like you" more accurately keeps some of the ambiguity that the original line had (oddly, even ADV's original subtitles used like instead of love). And all the subtext surrounding it is still there.
My opinion exactly.
If they had wanted him to say 'I love you' they would of used 'Aishiteru'. But they didn't so I think its a mistake to assume intentions.

The translator is right. It is subtle. Where as translating it as a straight 'I love you' is not.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Wait there's new English cast? Spike Spencer isn't Shinji? I don't think I'm ready for that. Why the change?

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My opinion exactly.
If they had wanted him to say 'I love you' they would of used 'Aishiteru'. But they didn't so I think its a mistake to assume intentions.

The translator is right. It is subtle. Where as translating it as a straight 'I love you' is not.

But I don't think anyone would use suki casually to the same sex person. If they didn't mean beyond like

Oct 25, 2017
So I keep hearing for the later episodes there's a director cut version? What exactly is the difference between the original and the DC cut?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I never gathered the love thing when I first watched the Japanese version years ago. I mean it certainly can be seen that way, and the new version can be seen like that too.