• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
They took out 'BALONEY PONY'.

BLGvT2Q.gif

RAGE! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

So what are the odds that the ADV Evangelion DVDs become the non-Special Edition Star Wars equivalent of anime?

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone already pointed out, getting other people into Evangelion is so frustrating cause there's something wrong with every goddamn release (unless you speak Japanese, then you have a lot of options with great video and audio quality).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, I just realized I have the old inferior western DVD release. Assuming I guess now I have to determine whether the cut content from the TV airings in the later episodes is worth the botched music and subtitles.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone already pointed out, getting other people into Evangelion is so frustrating cause there's something wrong with every goddamn release (unless you speak Japanese, then you have a lot of options with great video and audio quality).

I just want them to release the goddamn Blu-Rays here.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first episoded back to back with the original German dub and the Netflix version...
The new one SUCKS

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
For reference, the retranslated subtitles and script were done by Khara in house by Dan Kanemitsu. So the Kaworu straight-washing and overly literal, well, everything, are in line with the Blu-ray English subtitle track for Evangelion: 3.33 which was also done by Kanemitsu at Khara.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that Netflix are incredibly lazy when it comes to stuff like subtitles and scripts etc. They get lines wrong, or fail to translate, or just translate badly. They just don't as cheaply as possible, and it shows.
They also don't seem to give a shit about Anime blu-rays for the U.S. =[

Niche market I know, but there are still companies out there doing damn good work for the anime home video market in the West like Discotek or Aniplex. Netflix snatching this up probably means we're not any closer to a high quality release.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, I'm not watching this netflix release. I'll watch EoE after the compilation.

Straight washing K is wack as fuck.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not that I know of, I'm just going off the graphic posted last page. I guess watching the 2001 DVD versions up to episode 20 then switching to the Netflix version for 21-26 and EoE might be a decent compromise?

The 2001/2002 DVD video quality is really, really bad though.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In the Latam dub Victor Ugarte is again Shinji. To be fair I didn't watched the original dub from Locomotion, so I can't compare his performance, but it's not bad. Misato new voice really nail it.

I'm going to "watch" the series at work, it relax me just hear it lmao

Idle Talk

Oct 25, 2017
Someone told me there were some scenes cut from this for Netflix + some end credits songs were removed. Does anyone know if this is true? (No spoilers plz I haven't watched it yet)

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone told me there were some scenes cut from this for Netflix + some end credits songs were removed. Does anyone know if this is true? (No spoilers plz I haven't watched it yet)

End songs are gone. I don't think any scenes are removed, though the translation differs from the original ADV releases.

OP
OP
munchie64

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No scenes cut. The end credits music is missing, and it's important to the tone and feel of the show, but not so much the plot.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So cool hearing about the LatAm dub, wanna check it out someday!

Reading some pages back, yes the ending song was cut. Fly me to the Moon.
I'm gonna link it for you. Plz don't read the YT comments tho :'v

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad I'm going into this as a completely new viewer so I can totally ignore all the new dub discussion.

Oct 25, 2017
For reference, the retranslated subtitles and script were done by Khara in house by Dan Kanemitsu. So the Kaworu straight-washing and overly literal, well, everything, are in line with the Blu-ray English subtitle track for Evangelion: 3.33 which was also done by Kanemitsu at Khara.
Didn't the studio throw a fit at Funimation for the latest Rebuild movie and made them do it completely over which held off the home release for like a year? Does anyone know what exactly they had to change?

I don't follow this series, but I remember reading that from people on twitter.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Didn't the studio throw a fit at Funimation for the latest Rebuild movie and made them do it completely over which held off the home release for like a year? Does anyone know what exactly they had to change?

From the comments section:
Michelle from Funimation said:
We don't have any further updates other than we are working directly with the Japanese studio and the original creator on the home video release. This is taking longer than normal since there are more steps in the process, and the Japanese studio has requested to add their own subtitle tracks.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

A year? I seem to recall it being multiple years lol. Khara seems really strict over how things are translated. Even the child vs. children thing seems to be a thing from them as dumb as it sounds.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Just now finding out that they removed Fly Me To The Moon? For what reason? Netflix has gobs of money, I don't see why they couldn't put up a little more to get the rights for the song.

The more I'm hearing about this release, the more I'm wondering if I should just stick with my Platinum DVDs and just watch EoE on Netflix instead.

Oct 25, 2017
A year? I seem to recall it being multiple years lol. Khara seems really strict over how things are translated. Even the child vs. children thing seems to be a thing from them as dumb as it sounds.
Like I said. I don't follow this series and all that I knew about that was basically hearsay from browsing my twitter feed haha.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen more than a small fraction of this version of the show and there's already so many weird quirks added by this localization. I've also seen various complaints online for both the dub and sub tracks.

- New pronunciation of Nerv
- How ever the fuck they're deciding to say Magi
- The pronunciation of "Eva" isn't consistent in the first episode
- edited Kaworu and Shinji lines (can anyone give an accurate translation of the exchange from Japanese?)
- missing subtitles for location text
- loss of English language title cards and no translations for the new ones
- the tragic loss of the ending song and from what I've heard it the removal of the instrumental version of it from a key Misato scene

When I heard all of the changes in the dub I was sad that people okay with dubs or totally green to the series would be hearing all of these weird pronunciations (no doubt forced by Khara) I thought "Well at least there's the sub and it's the default option" That wasn't safe either.

Why is Khara seemingly forcing all these dumb changes to the dub that totally clash with the work that they JUST DID on 3.33? Why am I going to be talking to new fans who will be like "NHEERRV"? I hate that the dub is changing so much and of course on top of that we have seemingly questionable changes or missing on screen text translations? I honestly don't mind the new cast for the English dub, but whoever was directing them must have been asking for the most wooden performances possible. This dub is more 90s than most parts of the previous one!

I guess at the very least I can just watch the show for the billionth time with original audio and subs completely turned off. For the cherry on top I fucking hate the tiles they've chosen for Netflix.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I still don't see this on Netflix UK, maybe that's a good thing going on what I'm reading here, though.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RAGE! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

So what are the odds that the ADV Evangelion DVDs become the non-Special Edition Star Wars equivalent of anime?
The Kaworu stuff is real shame. But most would agree the ADV stuff was the equivalent to the Special Editions. All the dumb sound effect stuff they did to the EoE dub was unforgivable.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
if this has been asked before in this thread im sorry - if I've never seen this show before, is this new dub acceptable? should I track down the old dub and watch that instead? really want to avoid having to watch it subbed, but I'll do it if both dubs are garbage

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
if this has been asked before in this thread im sorry - if I've never seen this show before, is this new dub acceptable? should I track down the old dub and watch that instead? really want to avoid having to watch it subbed, but I'll do it if both dubs are garbage
The original dub is a classic, ignore anyone who tells you otherwise. This new one is making some serious changes, and yanked out the EDs.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
The new dub is fine (in some characters an improvement). Especially if you have no knowledge or attachment to the original cast.

There are other smaller details that are a bummer (mainly the music licensing issues), but given you won't have knowledge of what's missing even those won't affect someone watching this for the first time.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
i haven't watched it but from descriptions it sounds like the pronunciation of "nerv" is closer to the actual german word than, uh, "nerve"?
how is "seele" pronounced in the new dub

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I think, barring a few specific things, people will think this new dub is more than acceptable for new people. From my brief experience with it, it certainly seems better done than the old one.

A lot of people have strong ties to the old one regardless of it's actual quality.

OP
OP
munchie64

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fine. I hope you enjoy the show!