• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I like the new English dub from what I've heard of it for sure.
That said, the lack of "Fly Me to the Moon" outside of the Japanese Netflix release is very disappointing, especially with its removal from key scenes in the show. Surely Netflix could afford licensing it.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I...don't know how I feel about this. That line was...bad but this change kinda lessens the impact no? I wanted to watch this with my buddy who hasn't seen a bit of Evangelion. Now I feel like he's getting a watered down experience :/
The new line is closer to the original Japanese right? Wasn't the first dubbed line just to be edgy?

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
I hope so. Im recomending this to my 7 year old nephew, think she is gonna love it. She happens to love gundam (but not sure which one). Hope she wont mind too much about the old style anime though

Uhhhhhhhhhhh...

I would say the latter part of the show (and especially End of Eva) is entirely unsuitable for any 7-year-old.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Im recomending this to my 7 year old nephew,
tenor.gif

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Watching subs so the dub thing don´t affect me, but no Fly Me to The Moon is such a bummer :/

Nov 13, 2017
The new dub sounds miles better in those comparisons. I do have other issues though, like I haven't seen it translated as 'Children' since I first saw Eva on bootleg fansubs. 3rd Child still sounds mysterious enough; 'Children' sounds like Engrish even if that is the original intent. The former is just a better localisation than the latter. I'm getting the impression that this version is leaning towards a more literal translation rather than a localisation, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Will have to watch it all and report back!

Yeah, the new dub shits on the old one. They sound amazing!

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not thrilled about the work Netflix has done here (not surprised though, because their subtitles are always horrendous) but please do others the courtesy of spoiler tagging your responses. Even if your displeasure is entirely justified!

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Is the picture quality at least better than the DVDs?

Maybe I'll try to like queue it up with my DVDs to get the old dub. I think some of the aspects I've seen in this thread that are missing are really important and I wouldn't want the person I'm watching it with to miss them.

Fly me to the moon is iconic and it sucks it's gone but that's the least important thing to me compared to some other stuff.
I hope so. Im recomending this to my 7 year old nephew, think she is gonna love it. She happens to love gundam (but not sure which one). Hope she wont mind too much about the old style anime though
This show is not appropriate for a 7 year old.

kagura

Jul 21, 2018
I just watched the ep 24 in the new Spanish dub and Kaworu and Shinji lines are almost the same that in the Japanese version, so maybe the change is only a thing in the English dub?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Don't listen to what the others say, you should absolutely fuck up your nephews childhood like that.
Let's call that a social experiment.

The Kaworu script changes are a bummer. It's in both the dub & the sub....

W3FWXru.jpg

Yeesh, that's horrible.
Why even Change that? That's almost losing the entire point of the character.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So i don't have netflix right now... what did they change exactly? Should i not rewatch it there?

any exemples? just put them in spoiler, i already know the serie

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
The movies aren't listed under the show? I see 26 episodes listed and a trailer. Searching for the movie comes up with nothing.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Even though the original line wasn't as true to the japanese, I still kinda prefer it. "I'm so fucked up" had some punch to it and set the tone for the rest of the movie; it was even the first time they dropped the f-bomb like that.

Unless your nephew loves Zeta or Victory Gundam I'd avoid showing them Eva. Eva goes through some serious twists and turns, and I doubt that a seven year old will be prepared for it unless they happened to watch a dark show or two already. Even then, I consider to be on a different level than Zeta and Victory so caution is advised.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
I think I prefer the original dub from the few episodes I've seen and the direct comparisons. Thats not to say I don't appreciate the Netflix dub I think it probably fits the tone of the show better but it feels more subdued and I liked the energy from guys like Spike Spencer and Allison Keith. Haven't rewatched in ages so it's nice to catch it again after so long and the different dub adds a sense of freshness to it

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
New dub seems serviceable / well done. At times it seems like it's lacking a bit in the spontenaity and character of the ADV dub, especially Misato and Asuka. Other times it almost sounds like an interpretation of their performances. I must say that Ray does an absolutely fantastic job as Gendou, and I usually love me some Tristan Mcavery. I'm gonna go with classic ADV for this one though.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
A few episodes in and the Netflix dub is the equivalent of the dummy plug system to me. The script might technically be right, but the soul has been removed from the show.

Also I saw a clip where they pronounce Longinus "Lawn Ji Ness" instead of "Lon guh ness".

a1a3ed52167a2570ce289f98aabf2f54

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Even though the original line wasn't as true to the japanese, I still kinda prefer it. "I'm so fucked up" had some punch to it and set the tone for the rest of the movie; it was even the first time they dropped the f-bomb like that.
I like the new one because it's not as easily memeable (damage's already done, but at least new viewers might be less eager to turn it into a joke).

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I like the new one because it's not as easily memeable (damage's already done, but at least new viewers might be less eager to turn it into a joke).
That's fair, I fully acknowledge that my opinion on this is just a personal preference. Though I also kinda liked seeing the reaction of people when they learned the context for the meme.
what's the new line?
"I'm the lowest of the low"

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf at that episode 24 change. Smh. I even posted the line earlier in this thread

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If there is a screen with Japanese text on it and no English subtitle translation (such as around 4 minutes into Episode 2 when Shinji is in the hospital bed and says "I don't recognize this ceiling") should I just assume I don't need to know what it says?

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first 2 episode, I like the voice acting so far for everybody, with the exception of Shinji who I still need to get used to.
Disappointing with the lack of Fly me to the moon and not being able to download the series offline.

But putting those things aside, I am looking forward to rewatching this, and see if my opinion of the series has changed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Outside of the "third chrildren" bit, which sounds like it was a mandate they had to follow, the new voices and script work much better in these two clips.

Edit:
oh no

that radically changes an important aspect of the story! and here i was complimenting the new dub on being more faithful early on :/

that is a *terrible* change

I **just** saw that after literally praising the new script seconds ago. That's a huge change for the worse.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
They seemingly changed certain lines in the sub too tho? So you're still affected regardless.

that's not really changed.

the Kaworu thing HAS always been him using kind of ambiguous language. "suki" can contextually imply love but it's more often used for "like", but the same kind of "like" you use for someone that you have a crush on.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
If there is a screen with Japanese text on it and no English subtitle translation (such as around 4 minutes into Episode 2 when Shinji is in the hospital bed and says "I don't recognize this ceiling") should I just assume I don't need to know what it says?
are you talking about the black screen that happens after? its the title of the episode. kinda weird if thats not translated.