• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I feel like if anyone's going to be the new protagonist, it'll be this dork.

D5AHPc0.jpg

I hate how much he looks like a discount Shinji

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
The wait for 3.333 and then 3.0 + 1.0 Director's Cut is gonna be such a pain.

Probably another 2 years before I can fully jump in.

:V

I mean you're not wrong to think that either. A good majority thought that this was gonna explain why Kawuro seems knows about the events of EoE or why Asuka's name is different etc. It's a weird thing honestly with the Rebuild series.

The ending of EoE is still perfect to me. Bleak as it may be, it leaves things open ended that people could still return and that Shinji and Asuka can reconcile with what happened between the two of them. Toxic was definitely their relationship before during the series but perhaps being in Instrumentality gave Asuka a different viewpoint of Shinji to caress his face instead of hitting him like per usual as he was choking her. Shinji pretty much lost his mind having played God for a bit. Whether they still end up together is a different matter, per your canon ship lol.

Not gonna lie, I'm hoping Anno revisits NGE now that he's done with the Rebuild parallel world/timeline.

I'm very curious to see who else joins Shinji and Asuka (Shoryu) in that post-instrumentality world.

As of now, the NGE timeline feels like the beginning of an Adam & Eve plot, lol

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The wait for 3.333 and then 3.0 + 1.0 Director's Cut is gonna be such a pain.

Probably another 2 years before I can fully jump in.

:V

Not gonna lie, I'm hoping Anno revisits NGE now that he's done with the Rebuild parallel world/timeline.

I'm very curious to see who else joins Shinji and Asuka (Shoryu) in that post-instrumentality world.

As of now, the NGE timeline feels like the beginning of an Adam & Eve plot, lol
Correct me if I'm wrong but there's multiple timelines? NGE +EoE and this new one?

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Correct me if I'm wrong but there's multiple timelines? NGE +EoE and this new one?
Yup.

Many initially assumed the Rebuild series was a continuation from EoE.

After this movie, Rebuild is basically it's own world with little connection to the NGE/EoE timeline, outside of some easter-eggs/fan-service.

In the NGE + EoE world, Shinji and Asuka are still dealing with that post-instrumentality world. We don't know if anyone else emerged from the LCL ocean and joined them yet~

OP
OP
Yasumi

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

After this movie, Rebuild is basically it's own world with little connection to the NGE/EoE timeline, outside of some easter-eggs/fan-service.

In the NGE + EoE world, Shinji and Asuka are still dealing with that post-instrumentality world. We don't know if anyone else emerged from the LCL ocean and joined them yet~
So was the moon Kaworu's vessel between timelines, or were the big EOE references related to that just Easter eggs?

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

Lmao So I guess Shinji/Asuka shippers should still be happy? Hahaha Anno you crackin me up.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
So was the moon Kaworu's vessel between timelines, or were the big EOE references related to that just Easter eggs?
Kaworu seems to have some ability too see other timelines/worlds.

It's implied that he's been looping through many timelines trying to save Shinji (including NGE + EoE), but in the end Shinji is the one who saves him and frees him from that burden in Rebuild.

I'm hoping the inevitable Director's Cut goes into more detail on that stuff.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is Evangelion truly gonna die? Because I'm expecting him to come back like 10-20 years later To do some crazy shit. People in this very thread are saying that it makes too much money to just die.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
He actually had that ability in one of his SRW appearances. Now I'm wondering if it was a plot point given directly by Anno for SRW.
Yea, it's basically set in stone at this point.

I would have preferred if they delved more into Kaworu in this film, but maybe the DC will have something for him (and several other characters too).

The Evangelion Multiverse.

Oh god is EVA going the Gundam way?
So is Evangelion truly gonna die? Because I'm expecting him to come back like 10-20 years later To do some crazy shit. People in this very thread are saying that it makes too much money to just die.

I don't think Anno will continue with EVA if Khara studio decides pursue an EVA franchise/series, akin to the Gundam model. Someone other director would likely take the reigns of the franchise at that point.

Personally, my interest in EVA begins and ends with his works on NGE + EoE and Rebuild.

I'd love to see him return to future installments of EVA though, so long as it's a new cast.

On the other hand, I REALLY want him to return to Godzilla, lol

Last edited:

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK

Oh, I expect there will be more manga, light novels, hell, some new games would be nice. Khara haven't gone to quite the extremes that Gainax did in terms of merch (strip mahjong games, etc), but there has been a metric shit-ton of it produced under their watch, and I can't imagine they'll want to give that up in a hurry.

I assume Anno won't direct any more of the franchise if his message is for people to get over Evangelion, but on the other hand nobody put a gun to his head and forced him to bring back Eva for the rebuilds, did they?

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Do Gendo's eye lasers destroy stuff or is it just a visual?
I still don't get Mari being Gendo's age. I recall vaguely "the curse of the Eva pilot" so they don't age but didn't Eva units not exist then?
Is there another Utada song other than Last Kiss?

OP
OP
Yasumi

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just think of 3.0 +1.0 as the true end to Evangelion, and there are an infinite number of loops that could've happened before it. Campus Apocalypse, Shinji Ikari Raising Project, Piko Piko, it's all canon now. Fanfiction? Canon. And anything they come up with from now on can be part of one of those prior loops too.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Just think of 3.0 +1.0 as the true end to Evangelion, and there are an infinite number of loops that could've happened before it. Campus Apocalypse, Shinji Ikari Raising Project, Piko Piko, it's all canon now. Fanfiction? Canon. And anything they come up with from now on can be part of one of those prior loops too.

I definitely think 3.0 +1.0 is the end for this current cast in EVA.

Gonna be super disappointed if they drag the characters through even more misery in future installments; let Shinji have some peace, lol

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

Okay so the original series still exists and wasn't erased to become Rebuild or whatever then?

I'm kind of cool with that world being left without a direct answer. I think Shinji is told everyone has the ability to do so if they desire. It's just a matter of how many. I suppose I'd be curious what all Shinji and Asuka are going to survive though I suppose if enough managed to make it through.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yup.

So it is a sequel series, but not in the sense that many thought of being like an out and out time loop? More of like a fractured reality and/or multiverse type thing?

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Okay so the original series still exists and wasn't erased to become Rebuild or whatever then?

I'm kind of cool with that world being left without a direct answer. I think Shinji is told everyone has the ability to do so if they desire. It's just a matter of how many. I suppose I'd be curious what all Shinji and Asuka are going to survive though I suppose if enough managed to make it through.
So it is a sequel series, but not in the sense that many thought of being like an out and out time loop? More of like a fractured reality and/or multiverse type thing?
Yup, two separate timelines.

One notable constant between the two timelines is Kaworu; he's been through several loops/worlds trying to save Shinji.

This implies that there are more timelines that have occurred outside of NGE + EoE and Rebuild~

Studio Khara has basically established an EVA multiverse, so the franchise basically has limitless potential going forward.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
So wait if Mari was friends with Yui and Gendo how did she stay the same age? Also doesn't that make the end pairing of her and Shinji kinda gross?

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
So Asuka Shikinami is a clone. Of whom? And is Shinji a clone too?

Do they implicitly reference the OG series / the manga? And do they imply Rebuild is the "final loop"?

Interestingly enough, the manga had a similar ending, with a world without Evas and Shinji, Kensuke Asuka living their normal life.

- Not specified who she's a clone of, but she is the last surviving member of the Shikinami Series of clones. And no, Shinji is just Yui and Gendo's kid.

The

So it's like saying "I once had feelings for you in high school, but now that we're both adults it's not gonna work now?"

Yeah, earlier in the film Asuka says that she thinks she had feelings for Shinji back then (2.0) but she "grew up a little faster than he did" and thus moved on. Then, in the end Shinji thanks her for having opened up and reveals that he, too, once had feelings for her. They don't spell it all out, but they acknowledge each other's feelings, show appreciation, and go their separate ways.

Can you explain what happens to Gendou at the end?

Basically, there's a deep dive into his psyche--Shinji and Gendo on the infamous train--where it's revealed that Gendo was really just a lonely, miserable guy who was "saved" by Yui and lost everything when she disappeared. (So we see where Shinji gets it from, lol. But it's also pretty clear that Gendo actively worked to make Shinji experience Gendo's own pain and frustration.) Once Shinji gets the new lance from Misato, Gendo realizes it's over and he gets off the train. Then, when Shinji decides to create a new world without Evas, Yui steps in to stop Shinji from taking his own life, and Gendo is right behind her when they do this symbolic double Eva suicide to initiate the Final Impact and reset everything. Shinji then comments on how Gendo was waiting for this moment so he could "see Yui off."

How does she keep doing it?? 😩 👍

She's literally perfect <3

Do Gendo's eye lasers destroy stuff or is it just a visual?
I still don't get Mari being Gendo's age. I recall vaguely "the curse of the Eva pilot" so they don't age but didn't Eva units not exist then?
Is there another Utada song other than Last Kiss?

- I don't remember him shooting lasers... Pretty sure it was just a weird visual.
- They were definitely classmates, so I imagine she probably did a lot of heavy testing once Evas became a thing? Not really sure tbh.
- Beautiful World (Da Capo Version) is a self-cover that follows One Last Kiss during the credits. It's very good.

Last edited:

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Yeah, earlier in the film Asuka says that she thinks she had feelings for Shinji back then (2.0) but she "grew up a little faster than he did" and thus moved on. Then, in the end Shinji thanks her for having opened up and reveals that he, too, once had feelings for her. They don't spell it all out, but they acknowledge each other's feelings, show appreciation, and go their separate ways.

How many years have gone by from the end of 2.0 to the events of 3.0 + 1.0?

Also, is the Curse of Eva lifted from Shikinami by the end of this film?

Lmwanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Binghamton NY
Well, it shows that the Eva Manga extra chapter is still essentially canon with Mari and all. Then entire Asuka clone thing in this loop is still a bizarre twist. I mean, people speculated it was possible but it's more brutal sounding in some regards. Wonder if it would also be true that Asuka was derived from Mari due to the connection to the evas or some such like also speculated. The picture Fuyutsuki had in 3.0 certainly spawned a lot of talk about that. Actually, that would make the way things ended even weirder.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Now that we have a decent understanding of the main plot, how about the music? Any new vocal tracks/Tumbling Down 2.0? Noticeable use of old melodies etc?

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Also, is the Curse of Eva lifted from Shikinami by the end of this film?
Allegedly Asuka is also shown at the end with grown-up versions of the other characters, but I genuinely don't remember seeing her. That said, it was a lot to take in, so I may have just missed her, but if all of the others were freed from the Curse, it's safe to say Asuka was as well :)

Now that we have a decent understanding of the main plot, how about the music? Any new vocal tracks/Tumbling Down 2.0? Noticeable use of old melodies etc?
LOTS of new vocal tracks, although they all felt pretty understated aside from the couple used during montages. Also some really nice musical throwbacks toward the end of the movie.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
All this move on from Evangelion talk will be funny in ten or so years when the next revival gets announced.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
LOTS of new vocal tracks, although they all felt pretty understated aside from the couple used during montages. Also some really nice musical throwbacks toward the end of the movie.
Throwbacks to old Eva tunes, or did they reuse again some tracks from previous works ala Nadia in 3.0? (Gosh that was weird when they did that)

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Throwbacks to old Eva tunes, or did they reuse again some tracks from previous works ala Nadia in 3.0? (Gosh that was weird when they did that)
Hm... I will say there are little musical homages to stuff like the Wille theme, but also more or less reused tracks like this one which I won't embed for those who want to be surprised.

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
It just came out in Japan. It's gonna be awhile unfortunately since Funimation owns the rights for an international release and might opt for a theatrical release before coming out on streaming sites. Unless you're waiting for a cam rip stream...

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
It just came out in Japan. It's gonna be awhile unfortunately since Funimation owns the rights for an international release and might opt for a theatrical release before coming out on streaming sites. Unless you're waiting for a cam rip stream...

Do we know for certain that Funimation has the license? The 1.11 blu-ray appears to have gone OOP, possibly 2.22 also, so there's the question over whether they still have the rights for those. Plus, Khara were known to have been unhappy with them over the first dub of 3, and I can't seem to find any kind of announcement.