• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
lmao people are gonna be fucking PISSED that Shinji apparently ends up with Mari.

I can't wait. That said, it's nice for Eva to have a happy ending for once.

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
lmao people are gonna be fucking PISSED that Shinji apparently ends up with Mari.

I can't wait. That said, it's nice for Eva to have a happy ending for once.

Literally it sounds like the final shot is basically Shinji with all of his possible waifus (Kaworu included) watching him walk away with a new romance. If that isn't a fuck you to all of the previous ships in the media, then I just help but laugh at the audacity of Anno.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a story of combining things from the previous leaks and such. Interesting tidbits like a trip to the EOE beach....

Ev7nJESXMAAQ5MO

Ev7qyexXEAAmWYE

Ev7qye2XMAEKqPt

Anno you madman.

And I thought Ryukishi07 was gonna be madlad of the year for his Higurashi Gou fuckery.

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
Funny enough, this ending almost reminds me of another series which ended optimistically enough where people were also caught in a endless loop and also made up with the 'bad guys' of the series.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
After reading the supposedly leaked spoilers...

images

All that's left now is watch the movie itself.

Sep 14, 2019
As someone who's been with abusing partners, I actually like that Shinji doesn't end up with Asuka, and that he chooses not to be with her because they'd be in a toxic relationship.

Shinji ending up with Mari though... I don't know, but quite interesting as it's a middle finger to all the shippers 😅

Overall, it sounds like a satisfying conclusion to the whole series.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the fact it ends on a happy ending and a live action footage of Anno's village for me pretty much tells the movie (and whole Rebuild project) is a reflection of Anno's inner state of mind. He's done with it. "Good bye Evangelion" is literally a line in this movie. Shinji and all characters found closure and can move on with their lives.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Shinji, this new summary has sold me.

I'm incredibly happy with how the series has ended.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
As someone who watched the Eva anime + EoE for the first time recently, I honestly couldn't make sense of all the Asuka/Shinji shipping content I had seen over the years.

At no point throughout the entire show + movie did they ever exhibit any legit romantic feelings for one another. Also, I dunno if Asuka was a tsundere prototype, but she was hands down one of the most violent and aggressive characters towards Shinji, with the only the angels topping her.

Also, none of this probably matters anyways since the Asuka in Rebuild at this point is a clone, and the original Asuka has been long dead.

Shinji with Mari is a bit crazy tho, lol

As someone who's been with abusing partners, I actually like that Shinji doesn't end up with Asuka, and that he chooses not to be with her because they'd be in a toxic relationship.

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves

Shinji ending up with Mari though... I don't know, but quite interesting as it's a middle finger to all the shippers 😅

Overall, it sounds like a satisfying conclusion to the whole series.

Funny thing, I think a ship that people might actually have accepted would have been Toji's sister Sakura. I thought grown up her was pretty cute.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
One of my friends is a long, LONG time AsukaxShinji fan. God I can't wait for her reaction and meltdown.

as a AsukaXShinji shipper since 1999, I can say that I see this as an absolute win.From what I have read you can argue that Mari is just being Mari, and in not a single spoiler Shinji actually says that he has feelings for her. He does, however, confess that he has feelings for Asuka, so TEAM RED WON OVER TEAM BLUE AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS LMAO

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...
You opted to read spoilers from quickly typed up user posts on the internet (with descriptors like "wtf" and "idk" thrown in sometimes too lol)...
To whatever extent: That pretty easily takes the piss out of everything. No?
Yeah but Shinji x Mari. The fuck is that?

Honestly it's the Asuka being a series thing that annoyed me the most.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who watched the Eva anime + EoE for the first time recently, I honestly couldn't make sense of all the Asuka/Shinji shipping content I had seen over the years.
People watched EVA at the peak of the Western anime boon as horny teenagers who grew up alongside puritanical American media. They are extremely invested in the "best girl" wars.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Yeah but Shinji x Mari. The fuck is that?

Honestly it's the Asuka being a series thing that annoyed me the most.
It's kinda sad when you think about it, what with her being a clone all along.

When did the OG Asuka die? Before Shinji triggers instrumentality at the end of the EoE, when she got torn to bits?

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
as a AsukaXShinji shipper since 1999, I can say that I see this as an absolute win.From what I have read you can argue that Mari is just being Mari, and in not a single spoiler Shinji actually says that he has feelings for her. He does, however, confess that he has feelings for Asuka, so TEAM RED WON OVER TEAM BLUE AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS LMAO

Haha my man seeing the big picture.

When did the OG Asuka die? Before Shinji triggers instrumentality at the end of the EoE, when she got torn to bits?

I think that timeline is completely seperate from what has happened here in this one. It implies that the events of EoE might have happened in this new series but it's not technically canon in the Rebuild Arcs. Seems like the OG Asuka was probably killed in that Eva 4 incident.

Nov 2, 2017
Shinji ending up with the character solely made to sell merchandise basically tells you all you need to know about the state of the franchise

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
Shinji ending up with the character solely made to sell merchandise basically tells you all you need to know about the state of the franchise

It's really weird to think that of all the comments about it, none seem to indicate that this possible relationship actually has any screentime besides the end, unless people aren't telling us. Like why bother with a Ginny Weasley×Harry Potter ending lol.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I think that timeline is completely seperate from what has happened here in this one. It implies that the events of EoE might have happened in this new series but it's not technically canon in the Rebuild Arcs. Seems like the OG Asuka was probably killed in that Eva 4 incident.
I hadn't started the Rebuild series yet, so that's actually surprising.

My assumption was that Rebuild was a continuation of where EoE left off.

Given what's happened in this film, the idea of Shinji and Asuka still laying somewhere on a beach in the EoE timeline is hilarious, lol

It's really weird to think that of all the comments about it, none seem to indicate that this possible relationship actually has any screentime besides the end, unless people aren't telling us. Like why bother with a Ginny Weasley×Harry Potter ending lol.
Makes me think there might be some relevant footage in the (inevitable) Director's Cut that will tie it all together.

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
I hadn't started the Rebuild series yet, so that's actually surprising.

My assumption was that Rebuild was a continuation of where EoE left off.

Given what's happened in this film, the idea of Shinji and Asuka still laying somewhere on a beach in the EoE timeline is hilarious, lol

I mean you're not wrong to think that either. A good majority thought that this was gonna explain why Kawuro seems knows about the events of EoE or why Asuka's name is different etc. It's a weird thing honestly with the Rebuild series.

The ending of EoE is still perfect to me. Bleak as it may be, it leaves things open ended that people could still return and that Shinji and Asuka can reconcile with what happened between the two of them. Toxic was definitely their relationship before during the series but perhaps being in Instrumentality gave Asuka a different viewpoint of Shinji to caress his face instead of hitting him like per usual as he was choking her. Shinji pretty much lost his mind having played God for a bit. Whether they still end up together is a different matter, per your canon ship lol.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Evangelion ending on a happy note feels... huh?

I will wait until I see the movie of course, on paper I liked the insanity of 3.0 but absolutely hated the execution and this one seems like an even more action-heavy, effects-heavy film.

Right now, I just want to see laser eyes Gendō. Sounds amazing.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
What I find a bit upsetting so far in all the spoilers I've been reading is the lack of emphasis on the actual mech stuff, it's all about the characters relations with one another. That's what has made me love OG Eva so damn much back in the days: the techno-babble and the crazy nonsensical graphs, the """grounded""" mech operations (at first anyway lol), the logistics behind Nerv, the cool little details and Easter eggs left and right etc. But oh well, that stuff went down the drain later in the show and even more so in 3.0 I guess :(

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
a7d.jpg

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
What I find a bit upsetting so far in all the spoilers I've been reading is the lack of emphasis on the actual mech stuff, it's all about the characters relations with one another. That's what has made me love OG Eva so damn much back in the days: the techno-babble and the crazy nonsensical graphs, the """grounded""" mech operations (at first anyway lol), the logistics behind Nerv, the cool little details and Easter eggs left and right etc. But oh well, that stuff went down the drain later in the show and even more so in 3.0 I guess :(

I mean we can all blame on the fact that the Rebuild series was all on films instead of a show. You either sacrifice set pieces, character development, world building, or slice of life stuff. The fact that we barely got the school life of the pilots in the films tells you what they wanted to prioritize. Plus the Rebuild series was gonna go a different route as it was anyways. Remember what could have been...

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Gendo moving on finally sounds nice, as does Shinji finally realizing he needs to find his own happiness. Mari end is definitely a massive middle finger to all shippers, good job Anno.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I find it hilarious to anyone offended by the 'middle fingering' of Shinji x Mari.

Granted, I myself never invested in Mari as character, but I already passed the point of caring so whatever happen happens, especially in Eva universe.

I just hope it's entertaining wholly.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
haven't read all of the spoilers, but it ending on a seemingly happy ending sounds pretty great actually.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
So, since there was a thread about this recently: Does the movie confirm, deny, leave it open whether the movies are a sequel to the TV show?

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone posted anything of 3.3333? Has that been released?

My man. ShinjixAsuka fans will be told explicitly the relationship is toxic and go "yes and?"

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
I would have preferred if Shinji ended up with some random no name girl instead of Mari, always hated her character.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
My man. ShinjixAsuka fans will be told explicitly the relationship is toxic and go "yes and?"

I always believed in the possibility that there is a "normal" relationship down the road for them. But to reach this possible future both would have to walk separat paths, they would never be able to heal together. Still, both of them aren't bad people, so the "Asuka is so fucking toxic" talk always sounds hollow to me.

Their fucked up mental stage wasn't just a coincidence, it was a deliberate part of the entire plan.
I will need to wait until I see it for myself, since many things can get lost in translation, but from the looks of it I am happy that everyone got closure in the end.

and that Shinji and Asuka share a moment together is just the cherry on the top for me.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always believed in the possibility that there is a "normal" relationship down the road for them. But to reach this possible future both would have to walk separat paths, they would never be able to heal together. Still, both of them aren't bad people, so the "Asuka is so fucking toxic" talk always sounds hollow to me.

Their fucked up mental stage wasn't just a coincidence, it was a deliberate part of the entire plan.
I will need to wait until I see it for myself, since many things can get lost in translation, but from the looks of it I am happy that everyone got closure in the end.

and that Shinji and Asuka share a moment together is just the cherry on the top for me.
Yeah if that EoE beach scene is real I don't think I'm gonna be able to handle it. People have been wanting that for years.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I know it's not really really over considering the amount of money Eva makes but it would be nice to see a good video game considering we haven't really seen one for a long time