• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Yasumi

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
N-Not until Ramiel gets put into a world where she can be happy
Sorry, this is Ramiel's world now. Her only joy is consuming S2 Engines and watermelons.

CJi9vjm_d.jpg

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this shared. I really like this interpretation.

zrkM7gK.jpg

"I had to make four new movies and slowly release them over several years in order to ask people to move on" seems like a self-defeating proposition.

Best way to make the audience move on from Evangelion would have been to leave things alone, so this renewed effort seems counter-productive to that goal.

In any case, I'm not going to take the word of image board posters too literally or seriously when it comes to media interpretations, so I'll see the film sooner or later.

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm seeing the live reactions on /a/ and people are saying what the leaks are saying and what is being shown in theaters don't match. People are even speculating different theaters are getting different endings.

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
Man this whole thing is going down like a barn burner with this stuff. Why could've this have been a simultaneous release worldwide? It's not like they didn't have a year or anything to start getting a NA release date for a subtitled release started.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"I had to make four new movies and slowly release them over several years in order to ask people to move on" seems like a self-defeating proposition.

Best way to make the audience move on from Evangelion would have been to leave things alone, so this renewed effort seems counter-productive to that goal.

In any case, I'm not going to take the word of image board posters too literally or seriously when it comes to media interpretations, so I'll see the film sooner or later.
Eva moves with Anno's whims. The Rebuilds started as a way to get new people into the franchise and now it's turned into this. Much like EoE, I wouldn't be surprised if a message like this is the end of the journey.

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
Until more people see it tomorrow and actually gives us concrete shit instead of this jumbled mess of fake/real spoilers, I think we'll get a better idea about the plot and if it's an actualgood film lol. Sounds like there's more conflicting stories now.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Was there anything absolutely confirmed? Farmer Rei seems to have photo evidence to some degree at least.

Oct 8, 2019

Look at Gundam, in 1987 Tomino ended all Gundam storylines with Char's Counterattack, The Zeon were gone all members are either dead or abandoned the war to save the earth, in 1991 Tomino made Gundam F91 which was set decades after CCA and had the Zeon replaced with Cosmo Babylonia with the Earth Federation taking a back seat, in 1993 Tomino made Victory Gundam, once again it was set decades after Gundam F91, and the new villains are the Zanscare Empire, and the Earth Federation has all but been replaced with the League Militaire, the fact that its still set in Universal Century Gundam barely matters.

Then in 1994 Bandai buys Sunrise and plans to make Alternate Universe, when the first director Yasuhiro Imagawa asked Tomino what to do, Tomino told him that a copy of a copy will eventually fade until its nothing. Meaning that Imagawa had to show the Gundam fandom something new, so Imagawa created G Gundam, a comedic Super Robot show that still had some thematic connections to previous Gundam, but looked nothing like any previous Gundam.

The problem is that the fandom still demanded more of the same, they demanded the Earth Federation vs the Zeon, so Sunrise created OVAs that were set either during the One Year War or around the One Year War for those fans.

In 1999 Tomino created Turn A Gundam, a Gundam show that like the earlier G Gundam looked nothing like previous Gundam shows. It instead took place in an America that looked like something out of the 1920s. The mecha designs were either mobile Suits from previous series or were mecha created by Syd Mead who had radically different sensibilities from the Japanese mecha designers previously used. Most importantly Turn A Gundam was set hundreds if not thousands of years after any UC Gundam show.

The problem is that despite all of Tomino's efforts the Gundam fandom still wanted the same thing they got over a decade ago. The series that succeed were rehashes of previous Gundams. Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny are basically remakes of Mobile Suit Gundam, and Z Gundam, Gundam 00 rehashes Zeta Gundam in the second half.

Finally Sunrise gave into fans demand and made a sequel to Char's Counterattack called Gundam Unicorn, and it was basically the same thing as Char's Counterattack, despite being a direct sequel to Char's Counterattack, Gundam Unicorn has the exact same themes. It said nothing new. It was the copies faded to nothing, and it was a massive success.

Sunrise announced more sequels revealing that they planned to make shows that covered pretty much the entire era of Universal Century despite the fact that it defeated the very point of Gundam F91 and Victory Gundam being set decades after the Zeon Wars.

In one scene of Char's Counterattack, Lalah Sune is imagined as a bird, so in Gundam Narrative, the movie just never shuts up about birds. You are seeing constant imagery of birds despite the fact that it happened in one scene of Char's Counterattack.

Anno knows that Evangelion fans have an unhealthy relationship with Evangelion, he spent over a decade making that statement, but I doubt that this will be the end of Evangelion because Evangelion makes money, and Khara needs that money to make projects that they want to actually make. The difference between Tomino and Anno, is that Tomino lost control of Gundam decades ago, its now owned by Bandai Namco, a giant company that has entire divisions dedicated to milking Gundam.

Anno runs Khara who owns the rights to Evangelion, so unlike Tomino Anno benefits from milking Evangelion in any from while Tomino only benefits by having projects he wants to make have a Gundam named tacked on.

OP
OP
Yasumi

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A different potential summary, which lines up really well with the recent trailer. No idea what to believe now.

q1BGUuQ.png

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
The fist showings probably ended minutes ago?
Any leaks at all?
First impressions seem very positive so far, so yay.
Rumours of multiple endings in different cinemas too, it's probably bs bit I don't care, I'm having so much fun just reading live about a movie I probably won't see until next year at least :D

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
The thought of potential multiple endings:

bace0dba2231fab292cfea31f3bc26d5.gif

At least Evangelion has an inbuilt fandom that would be happy to go to the cinema multiple times for different endings, unlike poor Clue*, lol. Intriguing idea if that is indeed the case.

(*I'm sure there are other films that have done this outside of Clue, but that's always my first point of reference, lol.)

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I vaguely feel like "multiple endings" talk also occurred when 3.0 hit theaters... seems like it's probably just speculation based on conflicting leaks.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Anno knows that Evangelion fans have an unhealthy relationship with Evangelion, he spent over a decade making that statement, but I doubt that this will be the end of Evangelion because Evangelion makes money, and Khara needs that money to make projects that they want to actually make. The difference between Tomino and Anno, is that Tomino lost control of Gundam decades ago, its now owned by Bandai Namco, a giant company that has entire divisions dedicated to milking Gundam.

Anno runs Khara who owns the rights to Evangelion, so unlike Tomino Anno benefits from milking Evangelion in any from while Tomino only benefits by having projects he wants to make have a Gundam named tacked on.

For Gundam that made more sense, because you had the model kit business depending on it and Tomino never had any say or authority over this commercial demand.

It's rather ironic that Hideaki Anno's Rebuild films, for better or for worse, have done more to revive modern interest in Evangelion than anything else in particular.

I suppose it is still nicer that the creator(s) are receiving benefits from these recent-ish NGE projects, but it is nonetheless quite a paradox between message and reality.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
A different potential summary, which lines up really well with the recent trailer. No idea what to believe now.

q1BGUuQ.png

That seems more straightforward really but oddly that makes me doubt it?

Edit: Yeah those screenshots from the booklets don't seem to line up really. The first one pictured going by the page numbers seems near the end.

Don't know if these been posted:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Oh that lines up with some previous details.

This one lines up with the MariXShinji one lol

Did that one include all this? I'd seen spoilers about the stuff here but it seemed separate?

What's going on with the Gendo scenes?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched all three movies a few weeks ago and came away with the distinct feeling that none of them are very good, but also that 3.0 really isn't as bad as I once thought. I may just get it over with and read spoilers and watch the movie whenever I'm able to lol at this point.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I rewatched all three movies a few weeks ago and came away with the distinct feeling that none of them are very good, but also that 3.0 really isn't as bad as I once thought. I may just get it over with and read spoilers and watch the movie whenever I'm able to lol at this point.

That was my feeling when I watched the movies for the first time. 3.0 isn't good but it isn't a far cry from the other two. I'm long past the point of giving a shit about Rebuild or spoilers so I'm hoping someone dumps a plausible synopsis soon.

LifeLike

Oct 31, 2017
That was my feeling when I watched the movies for the first time. 3.0 isn't good but it isn't a far cry from the other two. I'm long past the point of giving a shit about Rebuild or spoilers so I'm hoping someone dumps a plausible synopsis soon.
3.0 isn't a bad movie if lots of exposition is present in 3.0+1.0.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seems a bit saccharin for Eva but I guess that would the last big tonal swerve for the franchise lol

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly it'll be great to see Studio Khara work on something new after this. Congratulations to the series making it to the end!!

Oct 27, 2017

idk, I'd like to see Anno in that light, but Khara was funded to make the Eva movies. Nobody was pointing a gun at Anno's head and the Gainax people he got on board were doing fine at Gainax (Tsuramaki did FLCL and Diebuster, for example). Anno made more Evangelion because he wanted to make more Evangelion... maybe he simply wanted more money (and to be clear, that's fine). And for more than 10 years, Khara major works had been 1.0 and 2.0.

I think something changed during 3.0 production and perhaps Anno started thinking that there was no artistic merit in remaking the old Eva and - for better or worse - the Rebuild drastically changed its direction and Anno and Khara started doing more experimental, personal projects. But you can still can those on the fingers of one hand.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
idk, I'd like to see Anno in that light, but Khara but funded to make the Eva movies. Nobody was pointing a gun at Anno's head and the Gainax people he got on board were doing fine at Gainax (Tsuramaki did FLCL and Diebuster, for example). Anno made more Evangelion because he wanted to make more Evangelion... maybe he simply wanted more money (and to be clear, that's fine). And for more than 10 years, Khara major works had been 1.0 and 2.0.

I think something changed during 3.0 production and perhaps Anno started thinking that there was no artistic merit in remaking the old Eva and - for better or worse - the Rebuild drastically changed its direction and Anno and Khara started doing more experimental, personal projects. But you can still can those on the fingers of one hand.

Didn't Anno essentially have another breakdown or something which was part of why 3.0 took so long? Anno ended up doing Shin Godzilla in the meantime I think. Perhaps my memory on the timeline is off.

I've always sort of thought that preview we got at the end of 2.0 wasn't purposefully false but production just went a way different direction. Unless they confirmed that whole thing was fake.

Oct 8, 2019
I hated Evangelion 3.0, I thought the movie was completely nihilistic in tone, but if this line appears than I will change my tune on Evangelion 3.0

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
idk, I'd like to see Anno in that light, but Khara was funded to make the Eva movies. Nobody was pointing a gun at Anno's head and the Gainax people he got on board were doing fine at Gainax (Tsuramaki did FLCL and Diebuster, for example). Anno made more Evangelion because he wanted to make more Evangelion... maybe he simply wanted more money (and to be clear, that's fine). And for more than 10 years, Khara major works had been 1.0 and 2.0.

Anno wanted to take control of Evangelion from Gainax. Note that the Japanese title of the Eva movies changed the spelling in order to give Khara control of everything related to them before he acquired the Evangelion franchise itself afterwards.