• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
lmao

holy mother of JPG compression
I have the original game opened on my 3DS right now and it looks so much better than this lol

go back like 3 pages

And even the 3DS greatly reduces the image quality due to the poor resolution scaling and/or 800x200 pixel screens regardless of pixel perfect mode or not. Poor TWEWY DS. It's fantastic, but showcasing that is hard.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Never played the original, but one thing I loved about it was it's sense of style and aesthetic. While it might be too early to discount the game as a whole, the trailer looked like crap with none of the style I would've expected.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a bigger/cleaner shot of the background bios for the characters?

MC is an ambitionless/lazy person.
Fret is high school buddy.
Nagi is a college student.
Sho is well...Sho.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
If I can't stand the DS's crap-tastic screen, is the Switch still a fine way to play this? Or am I really missing something by not experiencing it on the original hardware?

I own this game I think on three platforms (DS, Switch, Mobile) and yet never get past the first hour. Really want to change that.

If you want a good DS screen, look for a DSi XL. All are guaranteed Dual IPS and really gorgeous. The Bronze/Black combo is probably my favorite system Nintendo has made.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I completely disagree with you. If somebody said told me "TWEWY is getting a sequel only it's going to be in 3d and not 2d" I would expect pretty much exactly this. The only thing I'd say is TWEWY has more detail in the environment, but the style is pretty much on point to me.
I think making it 3D was already a mistake, but even so you can't deny that the visual fidelity is very lacking. Looking at the screenshots in OP the super low res textures and jaggy as hell characters are very distracting, at least to me.
I hope at least those are early photos of the switch version or something

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Game looks fantastic and should be 4k60 on ps5 and end up incredibly crisp and clean. It's exactly what I expected and hoped it would be.

The negativity here is, as usual, baffling and eye roll inducing.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
"Yes Square, I want the miraculous sequel to my super niche DS/mobile game to have the budget of a mainline entry to a much more popular and successful console series. Pour tons of money into this without any hope for return on investment or don't make it all."
By all accounts, Persona 4 looked terrible even for a PS2 game. And then Persona 5 came out years and years later (with a bunch of spin off games and anime stuff) in between. You could definitely argue that Persona 4 was relatively niche and Persona 5 was the more mainstream hit. How did it get that way? I remember when the first gameplay trailer for Persona 5 hit, tons of people were blown away by the style and how well the anime style translated to 3D graphics. I think Persona 5 was the first Persona game for a huge set of people and those people got in because the visuals were so spectacular. And I don't even think Persona is the best when it comes to anime-style graphics (that goes to the current ArcSys games).

So is it really ridiculous to expect a step up in terms of visual fidelity for the TWEWY sequel up to modern standards? I am not even asking for the game to blow my hair back in terms of visuals, just look more in line with a game that released four years ago. If they were afraid of "pouring money without any ROI" then why bother doing an anime?

I guess we can't expect that since there hasn't been anything in the interim between the original game's release and this sequ- oh wait, there has been a mobile port, a switch port, and now an anime...

Well then I guess we can't really expect much more considering this is a pretty tiny indie dev- oh wait, this is square enix, arguably Japan's biggest developer/publisher.

Again, I'm not expecting the budget of the next final fantasy here. And if the budget is restrictive, then they have to find a visual look that works within their means. I think making what appears to be a more traditional 3D action game is going to invite comparisons to similar third person 3D anime games and those are fair comparisons to make. I want the game to be the best that it can be, is that really so wrong?

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I think making it 3D was already a mistake, but even so you can't deny that the visual fidelity is very lacking. Looking at the screenshots in OP the super low res textures and jaggy as hell characters are very distracting, at least to me.
I hope at least those are early photos of the switch version or something

I mean, I disagree with basically everything in your post. Different people I guess. I've gone back and watched the trailer a few times and checked the screens after reading posts like yours, wondering if I'm missing something. But each time I just think it looks great and the style is what I would expect from a TWEWY game. As I said, I do think the environments look a bit simpler (i.e. not as much texture/shadow/etc on the streets or walls of the buildings) but it just scream TWEWY to me overall. I'm not finding the characters distracting either, but maybe it's because my TWEWY experience is restricted to the DS.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
By all accounts, Persona 4 looked terrible even for a PS2 game. And then Persona 5 came out years and years later (with a bunch of spin off games and anime stuff) in between. You could definitely argue that Persona 4 was relatively niche and Persona 5 was the more mainstream hit. How did it get that way? I remember when the first gameplay trailer for Persona 5 hit, tons of people were blown away by the style and how well the anime style translated to 3D graphics. I think Persona 5 was the first Persona game for a huge set of people and those people got in because the visuals were so spectacular. And I don't even think Persona is the best when it comes to anime-style graphics (that goes to the current ArcSys games).

So is it really ridiculous to expect a step up in terms of visual fidelity for the TWEWY sequel up to modern standards? I am not even asking for the game to blow my hair back in terms of visuals, just look more in line with a game that released four years ago. If they were afraid of "pouring money without any ROI" then why bother doing an anime?

I guess we can't expect that since there hasn't been anything in the interim between the original game's release and this sequ- oh wait, there has been a mobile port, a switch port, and now an anime...

Well then I guess we can't really expect much more considering this is a pretty tiny indie dev- oh wait, this is square enix, arguably Japan's biggest developer/publisher.

Again, I'm not expecting the budget of the next final fantasy here. And if the budget is restrictive, then they have to find a visual look that works within their means. I think making what appears to be a more traditional 3D action game is going to invite comparisons to similar third person 3D anime games and those are fair comparisons to make. I want the game to be the best that it can be, is that really so wrong?
Persona 4 Golden alone sold 1.5m copies. Persona 4 is not niche. Persona 4 is actually the equivalent of NEO TWEWY in this scenario, with Persona 3 being relatively niche, and then Persona 4 becoming hugely successful which led to a higher budget Persona 5.

Oct 31, 2017
"Yes Square, I want the miraculous sequel to my super niche DS/mobile game to have the budget of a mainline entry to a much more popular and successful console series. Pour tons of money into this without any hope for return on investment or don't make it all."
To be fair, SE is unpredictable. Nier didn't do so hot, along with Drakengard 3, and then came Nier Automata

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we will hear reports of disappointing sales and trying to sell off the company with this game?

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't beaten the original yet since I started (not a knock against the game, I just have a bad habit of getting sidetracked by other stuff and then forgetting to go back to my backlog lol), but a big thing for me with TWEWY that I learned was I seem to have a much higher tolerance for the passive ponderance Square tries to sell whenever it's not bogged down by their very rote voice direction and cinematography. The game having much more of an illustration focus made the characters more vivid and fun, which imo was a better showing of Nomura's artistic talents than most big budget games he's involved in, and most of the dialogue being text based meant a lot of moments that would likely succumb to awkward delivery just kinda worked more naturally in my head.
I agree with all this. I've also been playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions and there's a tiny tiny pause between texts and stickers for a little flourish whereas the TWENY ones are instant. Like the style is neat but when I'm going through text boxes, I've always switched it to instant in options when I can. Just feels better.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
To be fair, SE is unpredictable. Nier didn't do so hot, along with Drakengard 3, and then came Nier Automata
As someone who used to work under SE who has a bit of insider info on it, Nier didn't do as badly as people think. The thing that really helped it make money was the absurdly high sales of ancillary product, many times higher than a lot of other SE brands. It felt unpredictable from the outside, for sure, but Nier actually did turn out well financially. This is also why Automata has had absurd amounts of merchandise released.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
can't wait to see these goofballs show up in a kingdom hearts game in 5 years

why is he wearing his mask on his chin

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Persona 4 Golden alone sold 1.5m copies. Persona 4 is not niche. Persona 4 is actually the equivalent of NEO TWEWY in this scenario, with Persona 3 being relatively niche, and then Persona 4 becoming hugely successful which led to a higher budget Persona 5.
Right... But clearly you acknowledge that Square is making a push here? We've had the switch port, now an anime (that I actually think looks really fantastic and pretty high budget, all things considered). Why shouldn't this game get a "decent" budget? Again, not Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, but something on the level of...
This! I had never heard of Nier before Automata lol. And then I saw trailers for Automata and was blown away by the visual style and animation. Obviously the actual game had its fair share of visual problems both from a design and technical perspective, but that initial style with the music and visuals is what hooked me. Why can't this be the onboarding for more people? So that TWEWY doesn't have to be niche anymore?
As someone who used to work under SE who has a bit of insider info on it, Nier didn't do as badly as people think. The thing that really helped it make money was the absurdly high sales of ancillary product, many times higher than a lot of other SE brands. It felt unpredictable from the outside, for sure, but Nier actually did turn out well financially. This is also why Automata has had absurd amounts of merchandise released.
Willing to share any info on TWEWY switch's sales as well? I bet that game didn't do as badly as people thought it did either. I mean, we have this game existing, so that's kind of proof of that.

And who knows? I could be wrong! The game may very well be fantastic! I'll still play it for sure because I love the original soooo much and story is going to be the thing that makes or breaks this game anyway. I'm just sad that for me, the most excitement I'm getting right now is from the simple fact that this game exists rather than anything I'm actually seeing (or hearing) on the screen.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think it looks good. It just needs polishing and some color adjustments.
16266.jpg

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
We've had the switch port, now an anime (that I actually think looks really fantastic and pretty high budget, all things considered). Why shouldn't this game get a "decent" budget?

Willing to share any info on TWEWY switch's sales as well? I bet that game didn't do as badly as people thought it did either.

I'm no insider, but from what I can see the switch port didn't exactly sell a ton of copies. If you look it up, it's generally considered disappointing sales wise, at least in Japan. Also wanted to point out that comparisons to Persona in any way seem off base, given Persona is Atlas' highest selling game/series and keeps them in business. So of course they are going to get the budget and time to make it look great.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks awful, can't wait.

This is very interesting, seems like an easy way to convince the suits that it's a franchise with very passionate fans, and with a higher budget sequel they could get even more people just as invested. And I think it's safe to say that it worked.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Willing to share any info on TWEWY switch's sales as well? I bet that game didn't do as badly as people thought it did either. I mean, we have this game existing, so that's kind of proof of that.
Unfortunately I haven't worked there since 2014! That being said, considering Final Remix came out in late 2018, this game was probably already well into development.

This is very interesting, seems like an easy way to convince the suits that it's a franchise with very passionate fans, and with a higher budget sequel they could get even more people just as invested. And I think it's safe to say that it worked.
I definitely think the main thing that made it happen was Yoko Taro and Yosuke Saito pushing so hard to make it happen, but being able to demonstrate that your users are worth more money than the average user is an incredibly strong bargaining chip!

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

This makes a ton of sense. And the next game is probably gonna continue to be moderately budgeted, is my bet. It's smart on SEs part.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I just can't see what people mean about lacking style or looking unpolished. Maybe it's a Persona 5 thing? I haven't played it but it seems a lot of people are comparing the two, and from the bits I've seen of the latter I think the issue is expecting it to have that kind of overblown and exaggerated style everywhere. TWEWY never took it to that extreme.
images

I don't see how NEO is much different from that, barring that there isn't graffiti in the areas shown.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Right... But clearly you acknowledge that Square is making a push here? We've had the switch port, now an anime (that I actually think looks really fantastic and pretty high budget, all things considered). Why shouldn't this game get a "decent" budget? Again, not Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, but something on the level of...

This! I had never heard of Nier before Automata lol. And then I saw trailers for Automata and was blown away by the visual style and animation. Obviously the actual game had its fair share of visual problems both from a design and technical perspective, but that initial style with the music and visuals is what hooked me. Why can't this be the onboarding for more people? So that TWEWY doesn't have to be niche anymore?

And who knows? I could be wrong! The game may very well be fantastic! I'll still play it for sure because I love the original soooo much and story is going to be the thing that makes or breaks this game anyway. I'm just sad that for me, the most excitement I'm getting right now is from the simple fact that this game exists rather than anything I'm actually seeing (or hearing) on the screen.
I also think Switch is a factor. This game looks really good for a non-downgraded switch game, and I think that's what they're going for.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I'm no insider, but from what I can see the switch port didn't exactly sell a ton of copies. If you look it up, it's generally considered disappointing sales wise, at least in Japan. Also wanted to point out that comparisons to Persona in any way seem off base, given Persona is Atlas' highest selling game/series and keeps them in business. So of course they are going to get the budget and time to make it look great.
Shrug. Again, if we look up NieR numbers they don't look great! But, we've now heard evidence to the contrary. I think it must have sold well enough, considering that this game exists. My question is, if you are going to bother reviving a franchise for a game this old, why not go all in? Or... at least... a little more in? What's the point if you bring back a franchise and it remains incredibly niche since it never got the visual "WOW" factor to sell copies to people who aren't longtime fans?
I also think Switch is a factor. This game looks really good for a non-downgraded switch game, and I think that's what they're going for.
Yeah, I hope you're right. I hope that maybe we saw switch footage and PS4 footage will look a lot cleaner with less jaggies?

I think even though Persona 5 looks great, it is still kind of a budget game in some ways. There are tons of reused animations and a good chunk of dialogue isn't voiced. I don't think you need an astronomical budget to make a game look like that (and I don't think this game is going to be 130 hours long like Persona 5 is). They did a lot of smart visual tricks like making the NPCS appear more bland and featureless to save themselves money on art while still maintaining a really strong visual identity. I think TWEWY back on the DS did this sort of thing too, using the visual style to actually reflect the themes of the game. Granted, I have no idea what the thematic elements of this new game are, but visually I just see them trying to adapt the style of the first game to 3D without a whole lot else going on. I kind of wanted more of an evolution of the style rather than just a direct translation of it from 2D to 3D. But, I guess I'm crazy for wanting that.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, a decent sized game this generation that is cel shaded. My only gripe this generation is the lack of cel shaded games outside of anime fighters.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Just woke up to this, ended up falling asleep about an hour before announcement. This feels completely surreal, waking up to a new TWEWY game and its a stylish cel shaded 3D action game. Feels like Christmas got here over a month early for me, I couldn't have asked for anything more. Kinda worried Nagi will be annoying based on the vibes I got from the trailer but I am incredibly happy with everything else and can't wait to find out more.

DrewyMcK

Nov 5, 2017
I never checked out the first game on the DS. Would there be any chance of the recent Switch version being ported to PS4 before the sequel comes out? It would be a bit strange if it wasn't, unless the controls wouldn't translate to a non touchscreen system?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I never checked out the first game on the DS. Would there be any chance of the recent Switch version being ported to PS4 before the sequel comes out? It would be a bit strange if it wasn't, unless the controls wouldn't translate to a non touchscreen system?
Possible? Yes. Likely? Not very; if they were going to port the game to the PS4, they would likely have done so at the same time they made the Switch port.
Just woke up to this, ended up falling asleep about an hour before announcement. This feels completely surreal, waking up to a new TWEWY game and its a stylish cel shaded 3D action game. Feels like Christmas got here over a month early for me, I couldn't have asked for anything more. Kinda worried Nagi will be annoying based on the vibes I got from the trailer but I am incredibly happy with everything else and can't wait to find out more.
44349.jpg

At least I can just type NEO instead of TWEWT every time.
2WEWY works a lot better; no one is going to know what you're talking about if you say "Neo". For all they know, they could think you're referring to the Matrix films.

Jun 10, 2019
One of my biggest fears is that NEO won't be able to fill the niche the original did.

TWEWY is one of the most standout games I've ever played, fully taking advantage of the DS's hardware. There hasn't really been a lot of games with that level of finesse.

I hope it isn't one of those lightning only strikes once type of deals.

Jun 5, 2018
Persona fans stop comparing every anime game to Persona challenge 2020 please.

otherwise, games looks good so far, about what i expected since you literally couldn't make the same game as the original anymore.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
They could probably finagle something with the DS4 touchpad, but it'd definitely be extremely clunky without a touchscreen.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone point out that each character might only be fighting with 1 pin, so potentially you will be controlling all the characters in battle at the same time. That seems pretty cool and like a neat way to capture the spirit of the original battle system.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone point out that each character might only be fighting with 1 pin, so potentially you will be controlling all the characters in battle at the same time. That seems pretty cool and like a neat way to capture the spirit of the original battle system.
It looked to me like there were only 3 characters per battle though.

Edit: I'm wrong, I looked closer and there's four.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Persona fans stop comparing every anime game to Persona challenge 2020 please.

otherwise, games looks good so far, about what i expected since you literally couldn't make the same game as the original anymore.
Woah, both games set in modern Japan with high school characters running around a 3D urban environment. WILD that the two are being compared from a visual standpoint.

I didn't see anyone comparing Genshin Impact's visuals to Persona 5's when it came out. Maybe cause those games are pretty different setting wise?

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Would there be any reason not to throw final remix onto ps4 at some point? I dont really know how it works on switch was it altered to work with a new control scheme or something?

Weeaboosuke

Oct 27, 2017
They brought my dude SHO back!? The Zetta king?

I'll be there Day 1. Easy purchase. The amount of hours I have on the original TWEWY cannot be fathomed.