• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Seeing areas in Japan I went to often so lovingly recreated is always such a treat. Watching the trailer, I kept going "Oh, and up that street is my favorite venue in Shibuya (WWW)! Oh, I remember a bar over there! Wait, they legit just have Tower Records where it's supposed to be!"

I love the original game so much. I'm a tiny bit concerned, because gameplay looked sorta bare and... dare I say not super high-budget? I'll wait and see, but I'm excited to finally have a new TWEWY!

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Awesome, I played TWEWY for the first time about a year ago or so, enjoyed it although I hated the battles really, and I wondered how they'd go about doing a sequel. Guess action RPG makes good sense!

Oct 25, 2017
A bit of gameplay speculation. I noticed this "Chance" meter, and have a guess on how it works. I think it's where one of the three people hits the enemy and then in the time slice, the others have to follow up, presumably to boost sync rate maybe? This might be a neat alternative to the light puck, and more interesting that Cross Combo IMO, if I'm right about this.
One of the clips shows a combo(one character hits the enemy after another makes the CHANCE appear) and the synch increases by 5%. It's probably a set up for stuns/launches/etc (in this case, the chained noise is put on fire by another character). I am thinking that it might be a turn based system, honestly

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Hmm was thinking this was a remake/remaster. Definitely don't want to play this on PS4 without playing the original... whats the best way to do that without a DS/3DS?
You could play the phone version but its not ideal. I highly suggest getting a used DS for cheap online and playing it. The original version is worth it

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Looks awesome. I was not expecting to wake up to a TWEWY2 announcement in 2020 but I will gladly take it.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
OMFG

DAY ONE

GRx1QKz.jpg
I moved houses, cities and countries but I always keep this one around, release day copy.

I don't expect much but also cannot wait to play the sequel

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Some interesting news to wake up too. I really should play that Switch version so I can actually see the new story. I wonder if someone did a longplay somewhere. I really hated that they developed it so it wouldn't work docked and with a controller.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Ah I see, didn't realize it had a newer port. Well maybe they will bring that to PS4 as well, would be kind of dumb of them not to

Like i posted some pages back, the docked Switch control scheme is already ... let's keep it friendly ... "strange".

You're really better off watching the animation instead of a PS port for a game with already frankenstein'd motion control, which would have even more frankenstein'd non-motion control.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"literally looks like a ps2 game" != "textures out of a ps2 game".

The visuals are way more than just textures: models, resolution, shading, post processing fx,...
But yeah, my wording could be interpreted as "it looks like ps2". And obviously not all textures. But some of the textures just look unclean.
To be clear once again:the style its going for is good, and it does not literally look like a ps2 game.
Its just that with such a shaded style, stuff like textures with text kinda have to be sharp for the contrast, to give the style some corners to flow around kinda.
I mean you said it, you're basically arguing with yourself at this point. It is not at all similar in texture quality to a PS2 game, that's the statement you made that I was addressing.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Hmm was thinking this was a remake/remaster. Definitely don't want to play this on PS4 without playing the original... whats the best way to do that without a DS/3DS?
Switch or the mobile phone ports are your only options. If DS/3DS is really out of the question (I cant stress enough how important dual screens are for getting the full experience), the Switch port is your best bet. The Switch version also has new postgame content directly setting up this game as well.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the first game any good on any platform other than the DS? I think I've heard the controls don't work anywhere else, but also imagine an original copy costing more than I'd be willing to pay.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the trailer again and paid close attention to all the combat bits. You can see the pins being highlighted while being used, sometimes multiple pins at once. Really curious how the combat will play out. As for it being "empty" I think they only thing combat appears to be lacking is the random things in the field of play that you could throw at the enemy. Though the battle space does seem relatively large compared to TWEWY.

Also, holy crap I'm hyped for this.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
So many people on Twitter are calling it Persona rip-off/discount lol...

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
The original's environments parallax effect and playing with perspective has been translated pretty great here.

The gameplay looks a little basic rn and the characters are a little forgettable but damn, it's looking pretty great overall.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Is the first game any good on any platform other than the DS? I think I've heard the controls don't work anywhere else, but also imagine an original copy costing more than I'd be willing to pay.
The DS version is actually really cheap these days. You could get a copy in the box for half the price of the Switch version these days.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
@ square enix license rina sawayama's tokyo takeover as one of the songs you cowards

Nov 1, 2017
I'm interested in seeing how it performs. I'm still leaning Switch for portability but then I was wondering what sort of benefits of playing it on a PS5 would be like.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Looks freaking phenomenal! This finally gives me the excuse to give Final Remix a try. I could just replay the obviously superior DS version but the remake should be fun as well.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
TWEWY being 1st on worldwide Twitter trends makes me happy, see Square Enix, there is demand for this IP!

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quite possibly the greatest gaming news I could probably hear... I can't even process my excitement.....

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
What is up with that super-shitty image quality? Everything looks washed-out beyond recognition. The artstyle is okay, but it looks really ugly and low detail otherwise.

The rest looks kinda cool. I didn't like the first game mainly because of the shitty battle system, super tiny game world and nonsensical story. I hope this is more than just Shibuya with a better story. Battle system looks like a pretty standard action-rpg with is good.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I guess the silly chin face mask look was a trend in Japan the last year or so?
ZpbByMk.jpg

Gretel's reality arc look in Sin o' Alice has the same thing lol, I thought it looked familiar when I saw his art

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I mean you said it, you're basically arguing with yourself at this point. It is not at all similar in texture quality to a PS2 game, that's the statement you made that I was addressing.
rewatched:
the screens/displays in tower records
the shading of the ivy
windows of the wending machines.

on the contrary the burger/foot signs were quite detailes,
generally the interior of the shop he enters...

compared to ps2:
the bad textures are better than tales of symphonia, worse than ff10.

Looked up Jet set radio (dreamcast), and sonic adventure 2 (gc)...yeah,
there are some textures in this trailer, that look about as clear
and detailed as the textures in the city ares back then.

I stand by what i said:
some of the textures you see in the city are lower rez than they should be
and reach ps2 generation levels of detail, and since they contain text and people,
it hits harder than if it would be a background texture.

Mind you: they are rendered in higher resolution (does not feel like full 1080, but we'll see), so there is some interpolation that makes it look a bit smoother than those back then...but the texture resolution seems about the same going by the amount of details.

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've had the original twewy sitting in my backlog for years, and i got myself a lovely dsi XL not too long ago

I know what I'm doing over Xmas break