• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm going to try and keep an open mind when going into this game but... everything they've shown of TWEWY 2 just reinforces one thing: There will never be a game as esoteric that fully realizes its concept than the original The World Ends With You. It is so fun, thematically rich & it took advantage of every aspect of the DS to enhance said themes.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished day one... guess I'm gonna buy it.
The combat is really weird as you don't really see what's going on on screen imo.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
I am so happy with this demo so far. The writing is great, performance seems fine, and the music is incredible. I finished a fight and just sat on the ranking screen to listen to music.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like Switch performance is perfectly fine. TWEWY is a handheld game for me, so I would prefer Switch especially since I can just put it on the TV if desired. But I'll probably check out both demos regardless.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Haven't gotten to finish the demo, and I'm still not even finished with Day 1, but some impressions so far. These are on Switch:

- Framerate maintains a solid 30 or higher. It's perfectly playable on Switch for those that were concerned.
- Combat on day 1 is pretty simple, mainly because you spend most of it using only Rindo and Fret, I just got Minamimoto and got to use him for one battle before I had to stop for now (and will pick it up after work)
- However I can see how combat can get more complex. Having it be pretty simple at the start makes sense. The DS game was the same way, because of it's weird combat being a TWEWY staple, you have to really learn the ropes of it.
- Enemies do have AoE attacks, such as the bear noise's swipes. Allies you aren't controlling will automatically try to dodge, but might always necessarily. It can be a good idea when you switch to spread out if necessary.
- Pressing the button switches you to that character. If they're too far from where your current one is they just teleport so the camera is not shifting all over the place.
- Pins have different input methods, like the original, but of course it uses buttons. Rindo and Fret's first pins are just a simple press of the button repeating, but when you get Minamimoto, his pin is activated by holding the button until you see it charged, and letting go to unleash a kick. I know there's more input methods, so you will not be able to get away with just mashing the buttons.
- The beatdrop meter is basically the light puck of this game, and the biggest focus of this is actually managing pin cooldowns. It works very much like the light puck from the DS game.
- I LOVE the visual style of the tall buildings warping as you move closer and further to them, like how they were in 2D in the original. I'm glad that's a stylistic touch they kept.
- Presentation is great, the dialogue parts are much more animated and have a lot more flair to them.
- They still do the thing, at least on day 1, where you're often told the answer to puzzles rather than figuring them out yourself. Wasn't really fan of that often happening in the first game, and not really a fan of it here either.
- I love these characters so far. Rindo is nothing like Neku at the start of the first game, and that's a good thing. Not that Neku's personality at the start of the first game was bad, I'm just glad they didn't repeat the same trope.
- There's a difficulty and de-leveling option like the first game. Press +, but only Normal difficulty is available. I assume you unlock Easy, Hard, and Ultimate like the first game.

Really hyped to finish the demo after work, but so far impressions are definitely positive. I hope we get to see more wrenches thrown into the combat before the demo ends.

I trust your opinion a lot HylianSeven can you tell how much you can grind and putter about the game? Would love a few hours to enjoy…

Kitaj

Oct 30, 2017
Downloading the demo now... but this is a sequel right? Is the first one available PS store or MS store? anyone knows?

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Done with day one and I'm buying this day one. The demo convinced me, this'll be good.

Now all I need to do is pick my platform. Probably gonna get the PS4 version, but my heart is telling me to go with Switch.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, I finished the first game on DS and on mobile, I heard there was new story content for the console ports, am I missing something important for not playing those?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I trust your opinion a lot HylianSeven can you tell how much you can grind and putter about the game? Would love a few hours to enjoy…
On day 1 so far, barely any, but also at the start of the demo they tell you that you can only go up to level 15 in the demo, and when you have more than ten copies of a pin, they start getting deleted. I assume you will get to more on day 2, and I believe Nomura said on Twitter to save before the final boss of Day 2 if you can, so you can do that.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
This was...not what I was expecting with how this site hypes up this game.

It's really shallow and the combat is brain meltingly piss easy.

I was waiting for something to standout, and im not seeing it.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I love the music, dialogue, gameplay and look of the game. I'm vibing so much with this. I wasn't really sure if they could recapture the spirit of the first game without it feeling like a copy, and what i have played so far they succeeded. I will get this day one. This game gives me the same feeling as the first TWEWY. It's something special.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

The combat was simple in the first game at first as well, but the tutorial already suggests you will be able to equip more than 1 pin to a button eventually and I know from info released there are combo attacks and other stuff.
The first game got really really hard from my experience

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Great, I'm turning on my PS4 for the first time in months to download the demo and it decided to die (blue light of death). Fuck my life 😭

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, I finished the first game on DS and on mobile, I heard there was new story content for the console ports, am I missing something important for not playing those?
The Switch version has some things, I'll try to give a brief summary of it:

Neku and Beat seemingly wake up in a weird Shibuya where all the exits to each area link to something completely different. Coco (the little girl in the rainbow outfit that did the microtransactions in the mobile version) is with you and seemingly knows something. You go through it and figure out you're actually in a giant noise. This noise was actually of Coco's creation. Eventually you get to the point of fighting it, which is basically this big dream elephant in the sky. It's a pretty neat battle.

During your journey through it, Neku keeps getting visions of a girl (Tsugumi from NEO) talking about how she's alone, and seemingly walking somewhere. She has Mr. Mew, and has that very blank expression on her face. Neku does not know who she is. The text on screen is very much like the text on screen at the start when Neku was saying things like "I don't get people".

Neku and Beat are free from the noise and back in the RG. Neku calls Shiki and she oddly talks about how she has Mr. Mew. Coco shows up and shoots and kills Neku again, in a similar fashion to how he was originally killed. Coco's seen in Shibuya river with a Taboo Noise Sigil, reviving Sho Minamimoto for her game.

Shinjuku is shown to be destroyed, as Tsugumi was walking away from it. She mentions how it's "too late", and knew to walk to Shibuya from Shinjuku. Joshua and Hanekoma have a conversation at the top of Pork City about how Shinjuku was destroyed.

Tsugumi is shown with the infamous teaser image in Shibuya, and a new ending screen pops up that says "A NEW GAME BEGIN2" (yes, with a 2)

In one of the first trailers, the conductor of the new game has text on screen saying something like "welcome to the Reapers Game", but if you listen to the Japanese voices, you can hear him say "Atarashi gemu", or "Atarashi Game". Atarashi is Coco's last name, which they did pretty heavily imply she would have a lot to do with the orchestration of this game.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

It is the very start of the game and the original (even on the DS) did the same thing with having easy combat for the first day or two. This series has weird combat and it's not something they can throw at you all at once.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It is the very start of the game and the original (even on the DS) did the same thing with having easy combat for the first day or two. This series has weird combat and it's not something they can throw at you all at once.

it's like judging KH's ceiling based on the first world. I'm expecting similar here cause Nomura.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Also the records show there are 333 pins in this game, so there's gonna be a ton of stuff coming.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really surprised at the
Final Fantasy cameos. Moogle, Chocobo, Cactuar, Carbuncle and Tonberry so far, in the form of emojis

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not done yet but a few thoughts on the switch demo (TV mode)

First off: Man this feels so freaking surreal. We've all waited for a sequel for far too long and its almost here and to play it is warping my brain "Galaxy brain!"

2: Switch performance mostly seems solid. It's definitely 30, but it does feel good still especially in battle. Very responsive controls and it seems easy in battle. Cant wait to add more than 2 players. I'm sure it'll get way more complex especially with the different Psych pins.
3) I did have one of the major cutscenes start to hick up after i tried to save a video using the switch video capture feature. It got stuttery and I'm going to assume that was the cause like a weird glitch and not the game itself normally because I've seen that happen in other switch games before, but this was noticeably bad. After the next cutscene loaded though I had No issues and ran as it should.
4) Writing is very fun so far, doesn't seem too try hard and feels self aware enough and it really does feel like teens talking. VO is great IMO. Rindou and Fret are fantastic together. Music New and the remixes are Impeccable.

Will be playing on my PS5 later. I'm still torn on which to get. I think I can be fine with a 30 FPS version because I'd anticipate I'd want to play this on the go as I did with the original on DS of course. But It'll be hard to say until i get the chance to try on Ps5 which i will in a few hours. I want to compare resolution and the PS4/5 console performance. Either way, we're almost here guys.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Except for the biggest concern of all. That nobody's going to buy the darn thing. ☹
Was this kind of concern a thing when the first TWEWY came out? It sure kept on being a thing despite all the down time, and the banger soundtrack sure is still good. This new game existing beats any CAPCOM-TEST style thing like the VF5 revival, NEO Twewy looks to be a genuine effort with real undiluted passion behind it. People can binge the anime till next month, i'd rate it higher than most game to anime transitions. I see no reason to panic unless every TWEWY fan vanishes or something.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Switch performance kiiiinda tanks when you do that combo attack you can do from filling the Groove meter, but other than that, the performance is alright. Surprised they went for an unlocked framerate in battle on Switch.

That said, holy fuck I can see this combat getting good later on.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017

I consider myself a pretty skilled gamer, and replying TWEWY on DS in anticipation for this game - the combat wasn't easy at all - even in the early going. Keeping track of everything dual screen and the green ping pong ball was quite difficult to get used to.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I deleted the demo because I might actually buy this and I dont wanna replay shit nor continue that save.

My question, how similiar is this to the first game? In terms of structure and combat? I might buy the Switch version of it.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Being able to replay lines in addition to being able to re-read the dialogue in the Chat Log is a really, really good design touch. There's so many intelligent conveniences made for the player here, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since the first game was good about such things, too.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Downloading the demo now... but this is a sequel right? Is the first one available PS store or MS store? anyone knows?
The perfect way to play the first one is in om a DS, any other way (Meaning Switch and Mobile) is an inferior version to play it because it does not translate well at all the very AWESOME and enjoyable battle system only available and possible on a DS.

I would the priority is like that:
1. DS
2. Switch
3. Mobile

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
The PS store is amazing

There is no demo tab and no way to apparently find demos besides literally opening up the search bar and typing the name of the game and then clicking on it and then clicking on the "..." tab to find the demo page.

Aka, no one in the universe who is not actively looking for the demo will ever see or find it, aka completely ruins the point of demos raising awareness and bringing in sales!

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
The load times for chain battles are a bit disappointing, the only thing that has let me down so far. (switch version)

Last edited: