• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Look at them sitting next to each other. Have you ever seen anything so beautiful?

E4vmyNBVUAE5YCv.jpg

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
The fixed camera takes some getting used to but I can see why they went with it. The camera angles are real cool in some places.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I'm playing a sequel to TWEWY.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
You can't turn off auto-advance on the random bystander dialogue which is slightly weird.

This game is so incredibly stylish.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I just woke up and completely forgot the demo existed until seeing this thread. I've never gotten out of bed faster before today.

Look at them sitting next to each other. Have you ever seen anything so beautiful?

E4vmyNBVUAE5YCv.jpg

After such a long wait, seeing both games side by side like that feels amazing. This really is beautiful.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Gotta go eat but big props to the localization team. I can already tell they did a great job! Rindo and Fret sound like total teenage morons. There are going to be so many meme-worthy screenshots of this games dialogue.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions on Switch performance or PS4 performance? Prayers up that Digital Foundry will take a look at this, tryna decide on a platform but don't want to spoil myself with the demo (I know progress carries over but I'd rather experience it all at once).

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
i really need this game to do well. hope those preorder numbers look good or at the very worst this gets great word of mouth

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions on Switch performance or PS4 performance? Prayers up that Digital Foundry will take a look at this, tryna decide on a platform but don't want to spoil myself with the demo (I know progress carries over but I'd rather experience it all at once).

Mhmm, also curious about this. Ideally I'd finally get around to replaying the first through the Switch port and then get into this on the Switch too, but if it runs poorly enough...

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How does the 1st cutscene make me already like these 2 guys so much?

Game also looks and runs pretty well on switch.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
OMG i'm playing the sequel to TWEWY. Really liking the intro song. Text is easy to read in handheld mode. That one text emoji reminds me of Tingle lol. I'm going to savor this demo!

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I freaking love the fixed camera angles and the presentation in general so far, not even out of the prologue

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Starting with the Switch demo. Very impressed with the performance, visuals and music so far.

So jarring but awesome to hear swearing in TWEWY OST tracks. I love it.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Just standing there before the Hachiko statue and it feels kind of surreal. This game looks so good.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Kinda hard for me to give accurate PS4 impressions since I'm playing the demo on a PS5, but it definitely seems like 60fps to Switch's 30 (and lower res, it seems on Switch). There's dithering used for transparencies that look a bit harsher on Switch, but otherwise the game's art style goes a long way towards making it look pretty decent on Switch overall.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't gotten to finish the demo, and I'm still not even finished with Day 1, but some impressions so far. These are on Switch:

- Framerate maintains a solid 30 or higher. It's perfectly playable on Switch for those that were concerned.
- Combat on day 1 is pretty simple, mainly because you spend most of it using only Rindo and Fret, I just got Minamimoto and got to use him for one battle before I had to stop for now (and will pick it up after work)
- However I can see how combat can get more complex. Having it be pretty simple at the start makes sense. The DS game was the same way, because of it's weird combat being a TWEWY staple, you have to really learn the ropes of it.
- Enemies do have AoE attacks, such as the bear noise's swipes. Allies you aren't controlling will automatically try to dodge, but might always necessarily. It can be a good idea when you switch to spread out if necessary.
- Pressing the button switches you to that character. If they're too far from where your current one is they just teleport so the camera is not shifting all over the place.
- Pins have different input methods, like the original, but of course it uses buttons. Rindo and Fret's first pins are just a simple press of the button repeating, but when you get Minamimoto, his pin is activated by holding the button until you see it charged, and letting go to unleash a kick. I know there's more input methods, so you will not be able to get away with just mashing the buttons.
- The beatdrop meter is basically the light puck of this game, and the biggest focus of this is actually managing pin cooldowns. It works very much like the light puck from the DS game.
- I LOVE the visual style of the tall buildings warping as you move closer and further to them, like how they were in 2D in the original. I'm glad that's a stylistic touch they kept.
- Presentation is great, the dialogue parts are much more animated and have a lot more flair to them.
- They still do the thing, at least on day 1, where you're often told the answer to puzzles rather than figuring them out yourself. Wasn't really fan of that often happening in the first game, and not really a fan of it here either.
- I love these characters so far. Rindo is nothing like Neku at the start of the first game, and that's a good thing. Not that Neku's personality at the start of the first game was bad, I'm just glad they didn't repeat the same trope.
- There's a difficulty and de-leveling option like the first game. Press +, but only Normal difficulty is available. I assume you unlock Easy, Hard, and Ultimate like the first game.

Really hyped to finish the demo after work, but so far impressions are definitely positive. I hope we get to see more wrenches thrown into the combat before the demo ends.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't gotten to finish the demo, and I'm still not even finished with Day 1, but some impressions so far. These are on Switch:

- Framerate maintains a solid 30 or higher. It's perfectly playable on Switch for those that were concerned.
- Combat on day 1 is pretty simple, mainly because you spend most of it using only Rindo and Fret, I just got Minamimoto and got to use him for one battle before I had to stop for now (and will pick it up after work)
- However I can see how combat can get more complex. Having it be pretty simple at the start makes sense. The DS game was the same way, because of it's weird combat being a TWEWY staple, you have to really learn the ropes of it.
- Enemies do have AoE attacks, such as the bear noise's swipes. Allies you aren't controlling will automatically try to dodge, but might always necessarily. It can be a good idea when you switch to spread out if necessary.
- Pressing the button switches you to that character. If they're too far from where your current one is they just teleport so the camera is not shifting all over the place.
- Pins have different input methods, like the original, but of course it uses buttons. Rindo and Fret's first pins are just a simple press of the button repeating, but when you get Minamimoto, his pin is activated by holding the button until you see it charged, and letting go to unleash a kick. I know there's more input methods, so you will not be able to get away with just mashing the buttons.
- The beatdrop meter is basically the light puck of this game, and the biggest focus of this is actually managing pin cooldowns. It works very much like the light puck from the DS game.
- I LOVE the visual style of the tall buildings warping as you move closer and further to them, like how they were in 2D in the original. I'm glad that's a stylistic touch they kept.
- Presentation is great, the dialogue parts are much more animated and have a lot more flair to them.
- They still do the thing, at least on day 1, where you're often told the answer to puzzles rather than figuring them out yourself. Wasn't really fan of that often happening in the first game, and not really a fan of it here either.
- I love these characters so far. Rindo is nothing like Neku at the start of the first game, and that's a good thing. Not that Neku's personality at the start of the first game was bad, I'm just glad they didn't repeat the same trope.
- There's a difficulty and de-leveling option like the first game. Press +, but only Normal difficulty is available. I assume you unlock Easy, Hard, and Ultimate like the first game.

Really hyped to finish the demo after work, but so far impressions are definitely positive. I hope we get to see more wrenches thrown into the combat before the demo ends.
Thanks for the details. Happy to see that you like it! Remember when I told you I was afraid because TWEWY is my favorite DS game? Well, you have calmed me hahaha

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
The minute you can scan NPCs there's one with the name "Chaos" and I feel like that will lead to more memes.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn, I haven't even finished day 1 but this game is already hitting all my buttons. The vibe and soundtrack is stunning. And I can already see this battle system going places based on how crazy later pins got in TWEWY.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Combat feel good. Simple so far but I can definitely tell how it could get interesting later on. Doesn't play quite like anything else I know.

God, the dialogue is so much fun. Having a character say "galaxy brain" is so good. Also, someone better count how many times "sus" is dropped by the end of the game.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed at the French translation, then I saw the polygon NPCs lmao
Moving around kinda makes me nauseous with those camera angles but maybe it'll get better later on.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Wow, this demo quite literally assuaged every concern I had about this game.

Shit, I might even double dip now.