• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Created crunch
  2. Fired Amy Hennig
  3. Fired Bruce Straley because he didn't allow him to kill Elena in Uncharted 2
  4. Fired every senior developer at Naughty Dog to replace them with juniors
  5. Put himself into a game
  6. Created "Shoulders Gate"
  7. Went against the greatest journalist of all time on twitter
  8. Creative director of TLOU 1 and 2

The Goat?
.....shoulders gate?

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder how much fun the people who have to crunch are having?

Having crunch in a critical phase of your project can bring your ppl down big time, but I seriously dislike how the gaming community acts that this is exclusive to gaming. I know multiple ppl in multiple industries who works 50-60 hours over month of its needed(me included), it's still bad mind you but that ppl here including Jason acts that's only a gaming problem is baffling.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Would be nice if he responded similarly to people criticising how much his studio relies on crunch.

Like it's kind of hard to see this sort of thing in a good light when him and his buddies consider journalists to be "just trying to bring us down."
He never said that so you should edit your post to clarify.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft and EA don't do crunch.
You can clearly see it on their overall product quality, a good counterpoint would be Nintendo.

It's hard to say which devs do and don't do crunch, ND along with Rockstar embarrassingly wears it as a badge of pride early on before people called them out on the shitty practice.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Having crunch in a critical phase of your project can bring your ppl down big time, but I seriously dislike how the gaming community acts that this is exclusive to gaming. I know multiple ppl in multiple industries who works 50-60 hours over month of its needed(me included), it's still bad mind you but that ppl here including Jason acts that's only a gaming problem is baffling.
And it's just as bad in those industries, feel free to make threads about that and educate people. This is the gaming thread though, so it's not relevant here.

Whataboutism is also weak af to use.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And it's just as bad in those industries, feel free to make threads about that and educate people. This is the gaming thread though, so it's not relevant here.

Whataboutism is also weak af to use.

Yea I know it's s gaming forum, but God forbid for thinking we could see it in some context. I said that I don't like it here either, but I think that's its not always fully avoidable.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
props to whole ND for this game and their bravery. Numbers did their talking in the end and I hope they will continue doing what they did with TLOU 2.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love it how we can't have a single TLOU2 topic without salty people.

And how crunch is brought into every single one of these topics.

Cyberpunk was delayed a few days ago and i didn't see you guys worried about how those guys will be crunching for even more months to get the game out in time for this year's holidays. Everyone was just thinking how bad it would be to wait even longer for the game.
You're lying. Crunch was brought up quite a few times in the Cyberpunk delay thread, starts from page 2:
I don't think the delay is for next-gen enhancements. I think the game is simply not ready. And I feel this will only cause more crunch for devs. :/
And there's more.
Why would the gaming community be talking about crunch in other industries if they're not privy to it? That doesn't mean it's exclusive to this industry, that's just a strawman argument. I have yet to hear anyone say crunch is exclusive to the videogame industry.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Can't have a thread praising Naughty Dog or Neil, some people just won't allow it. Just look at the people commenting in this thread. Pretty sad in my opinion.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Can't have a thread praising Naughty Dog or Neil, some people just won't allow it. Just look at the people commenting in this thread.
while the individuals from ND deserve praise (the game is a technical marvel), the working conditions at ND absolutely warrant criticism. this isn't a place for unanimous praise.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Can't have a thread praising Naughty Dog or Neil, some people just won't allow it. Just look at the people commenting in this thread. Pretty sad in my opinion.

You're right, but at the same time Naughty Dog opens itself up to that sort of criticism by engaging in the practice. Overworking their staff is intrinsically tied to the product.

It's a lazy criticism and whataboutism, but not one you can really argue with

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah so admirable how he couldn't handle journos making a few jokes that weren't even at the game's expense but at a critic making a silly comparison

the man is making six figures and he can be confident this game will sell millions. it's really admirable that he's not having a shitfit over chuds reviewbombing his game? that's like, bare minimum. dude has won at life.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
He is taking it amazingly well, damn. Kudos to him.

Wrt crunch..., I don't know what kind of job experience you have, but in the process of creating a great product, there will always be people who put in extra hours in their works, even sacrifice parts of their personal life to do something they are really passionate about. Some of you guys act like Neil is personally whipping his employees and holding them at a gunpoint. It's a choice that people make, maybe at the time you are not happy, with all the pressure and stress but when the final product turns out to be something amazing, the pay off is fantastic and you can bet your ass that everyone who worked on TLOU2 is going to put it on his/her resume boldly and proudly.

I have done crunches, I have worked 90 hours a week for months, and I felt miserable at the time, but I knew what I had signed up for, and looking back at the results, I feel nothing but pride and joy. I am pretty sure majority of the passionate people who crunched on TLOU2 feel the same.

At one point in one of the God of war 2018 documentary, they ask Shannon Studstill, about the sacrifices she's had to go through during the development of the game. She tears up. This is how great things come to life, whether we like it or not. I am pretty sure Neil also went through crunches and sacrifices.

Crunch is like lifting weight, you don't feel good under all the weights, but when you get to see the result, you can't help but smile :)

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hopes it wins game of the year from most sites and publications just to see the meltdowns

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
After playing the game [still not finished], I find the online controversies and hate were based on data that is taken out of context. The ball got rolling long ago by parts of online population, and every smallest thing that offends them makes the avalanche stronger. They promoted excessive focus on gay relationships, Dina will be fridged, Joel will be marginalized, Abby is there to push anti-feminine body form, and countless other out-of-context jabs, [plus obvious trolling "smaller shoulders", "Niel/Manny haircut"].

The game should be played, and then criticized. So far I find it to be quite a masterpiece.

I'm glad it's selling well and that devs are not getting into a shouting matches on socials. They are happy for their work to be out in the wild.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
You're right, but at the same time Naughty Dog opens itself up to that sort of criticism by engaging in the practice. Overworking their staff is intrinsically tied to the product.

It's a lazy criticism and whataboutism, but not one you can really argue with
Looking at the Internet these days at this point its hard to tell the difference between people caring passionately about crunch and people just looking to dunk on a game and its director due to their own issues with the game, story and its themes.

Let's see if the next game that comes from a studio known to crunch receives the same sort of backlash.

dext3rr

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
User banned (permanent): racist trolling
Game where you can kill hundreds of people, rip their guts out, but you can't shoot jewish relic. Why is that? I wouldn't even think of shooting something that's not an enemy (saving bullets is a must on survivor) but why stopping me from doing this? This is some racism inducing shit.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Why not have a dedicated thread about ND crunch culture instead of derailing every Naughty Dog thread in resetera?
because these are gripes about both Naughty Dog itself, as a company and also about the game in particular and it's hard to separate them from critical discussion. It's also hardly derailing, the game gets (from what I've seen deservedly) a good reception here. if merely bringing up these topics makes people uncomfortable, maybe they shouldn't support this kind of abuse in the first place, tho.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
because these are gripes about both Naughty Dog itself, as a company and also about the game in particular and it's hard to separate them from critical discussion. It's also hardly derailing, the game gets (from what I've seen deservedly) a good reception here. if merely bringing up these topics makes people uncomfortable, maybe they shouldn't support this kind of abuse in the first place, tho.
The developers and voice actors are being harassed.

And part of this attitude is coming off as "you deserve to be shat on because of crunch culture"

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
The developers and voice actors are being harassed.

And part of this attitude is coming off as "you deserve to be shat on because of crunch culture"
sorry, but two wrongs don't make a right. I can be against GG wretches harassing people, recognize the achievement that is TLOU2 and still criticize the toll it took on people.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
sorry, but two wrongs don't make a right. I can be against GG wretches harassing people, recognize the achievement that is TLOU2 and still criticize the toll it took on people.
Yeah sure, but the simple truth here, the thread about harrasment ND received has been derailed into talking about crunch culture, even if that's not the intention, that's what happening now

Edit: also regarding crunch, I think the last word Neil give is that they're aware about it and taking step to deal with it. They're also aware what they've done is not enough and will keep working on it.

So we'll just have to wait and see if it'll improve next time.

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
yeah so admirable how he couldn't handle journos making a few jokes that weren't even at the game's expense but at a critic making a silly comparison

the man is making six figures and he can be confident this game will sell millions. it's really admirable that he's not having a shitfit over chuds reviewbombing his game? that's like, bare minimum. dude has won at life.
Sometimes even a guy who has achieved "success" in life can't handle criticism well.
Even Trump who has "won" the presidency and still feels the need to respond to his critics however relevant they are. We're all human who has ego that craves for recognition and praise.
I feel Druckmann sometimes was a bit over reactive on Twitter (like when he jumped into Jason Schreier). The best way to bask in glory is being modest, just being silent and let people around you do the talk instead of yourself. A great product / art will always have fans and haters but as long as you and your team are satisfied with the end result, that's all that matter.

To add into this: I really like Druckmann and think he's one of a kind. I just hope he keeps being grounded and stays on the path. We have seen some great creators went off path and never came back to their previous level of greatness.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is taking it amazingly well, damn. Kudos to him.

Wrt crunch..., I don't know what kind of job experience you have, but in the process of creating a great product, there will always be people who put in extra hours in their works, even sacrifice parts of their personal life to do something they are really passionate about. Some of you guys act like Neil is personally whipping his employees and holding them at a gunpoint. It's a choice that people make, maybe at the time you are not happy, with all the pressure and stress but when the final product turns out to be something amazing, the pay off is fantastic and you can bet your ass that everyone who worked on TLOU2 is going to put it on his/her resume boldly and proudly.

I have done crunches, I have worked 90 hours a week for months, and I felt miserable at the time, but I knew what I had signed up for, and looking back at the results, I feel nothing but pride and joy. I am pretty sure majority of the passionate people who crunched on TLOU2 feel the same.

At one point in one of the God of war 2018 documentary, they ask Shannon Studstill, about the sacrifices she's had to go through during the development of the game. She tears up. This is how great things come to life, whether we like it or not. I am pretty sure Neil also went through crunches and sacrifices.

Crunch is like lifting weight, you don't feel good under all the weights, but when you get to see the result, you can't help but smile :)
That's a lot of fancy words just to say "pressure employees to work more then they should."

What about the people who don't feel like working ridiculous hours? Do you think they just say "oh ok" or do you think they try to "persuade them" to be more "passionate" about a product?

Sorry no, maybe I'm just a fucking cynic but I don't buy it. Reeks of either BS or Stockholm Syndrome. Don't care how you try to pretty it up over work is over work.

Even if they do genuinely want to work this hard sometime you gotta stop people from hurting themselves. When we hear about Sakurai working himself to the point it's detrimental to his physical health no one goes "oh hes so passionate" they say "god man take a break." So what's the difference here?
Why not have a dedicated thread about ND crunch culture instead of derailing every Naughty Dog thread in resetera?
Because it's a negative stigma it's attached to the company and until something is done about it people will bring it up. I love Atlus but I'm not gonna tell people who complain about their poor LGBT representation to keep it to another thread. Or any of the controversies that people will bring up in regards to Activision or THQ. I don't always like it but you fuck up that shit sticks to you.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Random question: when a AAA studio finishes up a major project like this, do they go on vacation or something or do they move on to the next project?

I loved this game and fully aware of the awful crunch that went into the making of this game. I just hope the employees get something after all of this.

Big movie directors: Go on vacation for 6 months to a year
Corporate peon: Can come in late the next morning.

I wonder which is it?

Last edited:

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Random question: when a AAA studio finishes up a major project like this, do they go on vacation or something or do they move on to the next project?

I loved this game and fully aware of the awful crunch that went into the making of this game. I just hope the employees get something after all of this.
Usually yeah. A team will be put together for post launch bug fixing or support and others will take time off before going back for pre pro on the next title/or development of DLC. That's my experience anyway. It doesn't happen like day after release though.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Folks can't find any major criticism with the game itself, so they look for things outside the game to try to combat the overwhelmingly positive response the game is getting.

SJW agendas! Crunch!!!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Folks can't find any major criticism with the game itself, so they look for things outside the game to try to combat the overwhelmingly positive response the game is getting.

SJW agendas! Crunch!!!
Well first of all I have seen people state problems they've had with the game so strike 1 right there.

And do you think crunch isn't a problem or somehow justifiable? Strike 2.

One try one more time or can you really just not bear people having something to say about the company that made a game you like?

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Well first of all I have seen people state problems they've had with the game so strike 1 right there.

And do you think crunch isn't a problem or somehow justifiable? Strike 2.

One try one more time or can you really just not bear people having something to say about the company that made a game you like?

I did not say no one can like the game. Think it has bad pacing? Sure you could claim that any other gameplay irks you may find.

I did not say I support crunching. It is a reality of the industry, a sad one that needs to be changed. However in that twitter drama, I don't think it was approproate for jason to just do a swerve to get an upper hand on neil. It is a valid concern, but it wasnt what was being discussed then.

For some reason, this game and dev seemingly get more flak for issues that is not solely exclusive to them. That's what popularity brings I guess

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Getting real tired of every mention of this game being countered with "But crunch though!"

Vitriolic harassment of the people who were involved in the making of the game - "But crunch though!"

Review-bombing - "But crunch though!"

Alt-right harming the image of the game under the guise of concern over censorship, pandering to minorities etc - "But crunch though!"

"But crunch though!" = "It's ok that this is happening because everyone involved deserves it and you should feel bad for having anything positive to say."

This game has done a lot of things right, and no one should be saying that crunch is ok (and the majority are not), it's unnecessary to keep bringing it up incessantly. It's just an excuse to justify the drama. There are a lot of studios who are crunching even now as we speak. Naughty Dog needs to think about the way it does things, and I hope the outcry from Jason's article will enforce some change, but can we please stop pretending that this is all about crunch now? Thanks.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I posted this on Part II OT, Doctor Uckmann's collectible card description was kinda 'slight mocking' impression, the way I read it, lol.

20200620-003540.jpg

20200620-003605.jpg

20200620-003618.jpg

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Getting real tired of every mention of this game being countered with "But crunch though!"

Vitriolic harassment of the people who were involved in the making of the game - "But crunch though!"

Alt-right harming the image of the game under the guise of concern over censorship, pandering to minorities etc - "But crunch though!"

"But crunch though!" = "It's ok that this is happening because everyone involved deserves it and you should feel bad for having anything positive to say."

This game has done a lot of things right, and no one should be saying that crunch is ok (and the majority are not), it's unnecessary to keep bringing it up incessantly. It's just an excuse to justify the drama. There are a lot of studios who are crunching even now as we speak. Naughty Dog needs to think about the way it does things, and I hope the outcry from Jason's article will enforce some change, but can we please stop pretending that this is all about crunch now? Thanks.

Agreed.

Crunching does not invalidate a game's quality. It is the easy copout though when you have nothing else to say...

But crunching!!!

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I really feeli like people like Druckmann or Barlog should keep more distance online between them and the people who play their game, especially when talking about critical reception of said games. That feud they had with Shreier was embarassing and made me think less of them, regardless of who was right or wrong. Just the idea of engaging with it makes me look at them differently.

And before anyone points it out, yes it doesn't matter what I think of them. Just don't ask me to cheer him for trolling some assholes.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.

Crunching does not invalidate a game's quality. It is the easy copout though when you have nothing else to say...

But crunching!!!
The topic wasn't about the games quality it was about singing the VP's praises. Don't see how pointing out that, no, not everything is hunky dory there so maybe don't forget what this dude does, is out of line.

Last edited:

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed.

Crunching does not invalidate a game's quality. It is the easy copout though when you have nithinf else to say...

But crunching!!!
The topic wasn't about the games quality it was about singing the VP's praises. Don't see how pointing out that, no, not everything is hunky dory there so maybe don't forget what this dude does is out of line.

Is it him enforcing crunch or is it company culture? I don't doubt he believes in it but I don't think he is the originator of crunching in Naughty Dog

Friction

Nov 20, 2017
I did not say no one can like the game. Think it has bad pacing? Sure you could claim that any other gameplay irks you may find.

I did not say I support crunching. It is a reality of the industry, a sad one that needs to be changed. However in that twitter drama, I don't think it was approproate for jason to just do a swerve to get an upper hand on neil. It is a valid concern, but it wasnt what was being discussed then.

For some reason, this game and dev seemingly get more flak for issues that is not solely exclusive to them. That's what popularity brings I guess
Yes and they rightfully should because they are leaders in their industries and the ones that can most afford change.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
The topic wasn't about the games quality it was about singing the VP's praises. Don't see how pointing out that, no, not everything is hunky dory there so maybe don't forget what this dude does is out of line.

Last time I checked, the thread wasn't about Neil Druckman praising crunch. It was about him handling trolls on twitter with humour. Feel free to read the OP to confirm though.

Sorry if this sounds like a pissy response or a put-down to you personally, it's not meant that way. I'm trying my best to stay out of the discourse, but I pop my head into this thread to see if anything has changed, and I just see the same argument regardless of the context or situation. Naughty Dog crunch, they bad. Ok, agreed. Can we agree that Druckman and others are putting up with a lot of shit with grace, and the people who are doing this should be dressed down?