• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crunch I believe can only be solved by cutting off the head, body, and feet of the entire industry at the same time. Slow progress will never work; its just too slow.
I'm not talking about just slow progress. What I'm saying is there doesn't need to be radical change in the entire industry for there to be radical change at one company.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Someone should definitely create a thread about the crunch culture at Naughtydog since so many always seems so interested in discussing it.

I agree that it's bad, I really do, but this thread is like 90% crunch, and 10% of what the actual OP was about.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Just in case some don't know what kind of stuff people are saying...

lcmkssvn6b651.png

These people are literally doctoring tweets to try and make him seem like a rapist.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Someone should definitely create a thread about the crunch culture at Naughtydog since so many always seems so interested in discussing it.

I agree that it's bad, I really do, but this thread is like 90% crunch, and 10% of what the actual OP was about.

It's because people like to have a "gotcha" moment for internet points.

Someone please make a ND thread about their crunch culture and mods, please sticky it so everyone and flood in there and start the revolution and change they want at the studio.

Also it's always best to ignore and not let the trolls fester for too long but Neil is doing the right thing here. Their employees are having the worst time on the internet with the alt right bullshit and bullying. As a leader it's his job to protect his team first and foremost. The employees are unfortunately the ones who suffer, not Neil or Naughty Dog through all this bullshit.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Would be nice if he responded similarly to people criticising how much his studio relies on crunch.

Like it's kind of hard to see this sort of thing in a good light when his associate considers journalists to be "just trying to bring us down."

Fixed that for you. You can certainly say Druckmann is guilty by association but insinuating he said something he didn't is disingenuous.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's because people like to have a "gotcha" moment for internet points.

Someone please make a ND thread about their crunch culture and mods, please sticky it so everyone and flood in there and start the revolution and change they want at the studio.

Also it's always best to ignore and not let the trolls fester for too long but Neil is doing the right thing here. Their employees are having the worst time on the internet with the alt right bullshit and bullying. As a leader it's his job to protect his team first and foremost. The employees are unfortunately the ones who suffer, not Neil or Naughty Dog through all this bullshit.
I'm not looking for a "gotcha" moment, I'm just uncomfortable with people praising the vice president of a studio notorious for horrible amounts of crunch when he makes some snarky tweets, which I guess counts as him "protecting his team" now which.... lol, no.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I'm referring to that recent spat with J Schreier. Druckmann didn't specifically say those word, yes, but Barlog went in to the conversation and said "I know it's your job to tear us [industry figures] down," in response to Schreier's rhetoric. Of course Druckmann may not 100% agree but considering the circumstances and the fact that he didn't call out Barlog for saying that (when the entire thread was built around randomly calling out people publicly instead of just sticking to DMs) I can't help but find that he agrees in spirit. In the end any major figure in any industry who has a hostile relationship with journalists is going to be suspect, and that doesn't stop just because Druckmann makes amazing games and is otherwise a really good guy. There needs to be evidence to the contrary, really, because in the end Naughty Dog is still one of the most crunch-filled studios out there and that's not conjecture or anything similar.

I know, but as I said above I'm not exactly going to leave Druckmann off the hook considering the circumstances there. That comment referred to the general feeling I get when I see how Druckmann has responded to figures like J Schreier, and I've yet to see any true evidence to the contrary.

I'm not going to engage with you if you feel that publicly trying to accuse me of consistently lying is the best course of action. Please do not reply to this post.
How can you contribute something someone else said as the feelings of another person. How disingenuous of you. Someone could be reading this casually and think the completely wrong thing.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I'm not looking for a "gotcha" moment, I'm just uncomfortable with people praising the vice president of a studio notorious for horrible amounts of crunch when he makes some snarky tweets, which I guess counts as him "protecting his team" now which.... lol, no.

Then make a thread about it or request a title change to this one "notorious crunch enabler doubling down on Twitter trolls". This side conversation has taken over this entire topic.

Of course he's allowed to make these tweets. His employees could potentially be fed up with the work environment but how does it feel to work this hard and then have to get therapy because of constant bullying from incels online? They aren't mutually exclusive.

The studio needs to evolve from their crunch ways. But that's not an automatic free pass to shit on them especially when they are already being drowned in nonsense.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
How can you contribute something someone else said as the feelings of another person. How disingenuous of you. Someone could be reading this casually and think the completely wrong thing.
Yep. Some people are being intentionally disingenuous. The actual thing Neil said was incredibly respectful in tone and was more a commentary on how unproductive callouts can be. Especially when there was no malice on Jeff Cannata's part, even if it was cringe and tone deaf.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then make a thread about it or request a title change to this one "notorious crunch enabler doubling down on Twitter trolls". This side conversation has taken over this entire topic.

Of course he's allowed to make these tweets. His employees could potentially be fed up with the work environment but how does it feel to work this hard and then have to get therapy because of constant bullying from incels online? They aren't mutually exclusive.

The studio needs to evolve from their crunch ways. But that's not an automatic free pass to shit on them especially when they are already being drowned in nonsense.
There shouldn't be another thread about this stuff just so you can conveniently ignore the bullshit Neil Druckmann has responsibility for.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

By the same token being drowned in nonsense isn't an excuse to let them off for bad practices.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
There shouldn't be another thread about this stuff just so you can conveniently ignore the bullshit Neil Druckmann has responsibility for.

Oh trust me, it wouldn't be ignored.

By the same token being drowned in nonsense isn't an excuse to let them off for bad practices.

Of course not. They have to change their ways. Even if it means getting just one title on PS5, they can build from an improved work culture so that their long term future is more secured due to employee retention and talent growth.

But that's not the point of this thread. If it is, let's request a title change or close it and restart.

Nov 2, 2017

The entire thrust of this thread from the outset is "boy, Neil Druckmann's great, isn't he?" There's not really anything to analyze here, it's entirely an appreciation thread. And any rule that would sideline the crunch conversation in favor of this thread just being a few pages of "wow, yeah, he really burned those twitter trolls, he's so amazing" would render the forum basically useless.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this thread is barely even about the harassment itself, it's about Neil's response to it, which is some snarky tweets.

Yes... It's barely about the harassment because people are making it be about crunch. It was obvious that this thread was going to bring up the harassment stuff, because there wouldn't be the tweets if that wasn't happening.

At this point I think people just don't want to acknowledge it.

Nov 2, 2017
Yes... It's barely about the harassment because people are making it be about crunch. It was obvious that this thread was going to bring up the harassment stuff, because there wouldn't be the tweets if that wasn't happening.

At this point I think people just don't want to acknowledge it.

Even the OP isn't about the harassment! It's 100% about snarky tweets.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So this thread's only for discussion of Druckmann's Epic troll ownage? Using the homophobic and sexist attacks from capital G Gamers™️ as a shield from discussing ND's horrible crunch practices, which Neil has yet to make a witty gif tweet regarding, is certainly a take.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And oddly enough adding even more harassment.

Sucks for all the people who openly talk about loving to work at Naughty Dog. Guess they don't count!
The "but there's people who say they love working at Naughty Dog" defense is fun cause it presumes the workers there are allowed to talk about their negative experiences.

Like, yeah, of course there aren't that many people who openly talk about how they hate working there. If they did then they wouldn't be able to get a lot of work in the industry anymore.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Microsoft and EA don't do crunch.

They might not do crunch directly but you better believe that at least some of the third party companies they outsource to crunch.

That's the problem with industry crunch, even if you solve it at the individual developer level devs will just outsource that work to teams that will crunch their workers. It's why the entire industry needs to unionize.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even the OP isn't about the harassment! It's 100% about snarky tweets.

Yes, 100% about snarky tweets.

jett said:
I think by now everyone knows that most of the discourse surrounding TLOU2 has been taken over by bigots, misogynists and scumbags of all kinds. Not that there aren't valid criticisms to be made on the game, but I'm talking about the people responsible for reviewbombing, negging every piece of TLOU2 content and harassing and insulting reviewers, video game websites, Neil and other people involved with the game's development.

Some of you need to check yourselves. Why do you think this thread exists in the first place? WTF is wrong with some of you?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So this thread's only for discussion of Druckmann's Epic troll ownage? Using the homophobic and sexist attacks from capital G Gamers™️ as a shield from discussing ND's horrible crunch practices, which Neil has yet to make a witty gif tweet regarding, is certainly a take.

The opposite is happening, people are using crunch to disregard harassment. "He's a VP, he can take it" what?

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
I think it's fair to criticize crunch in this thread, but I would really like to know how many people actually skipped TLOU 2 because they don't want to support games that are known to have long crunch? The best way to fix crunch culture is to not support crunch culture by buying the games. I imagine that many people in this thread, who are vocal about criticizing crunch, didn't feel strongly enough about it to not support the game?

Last edited:

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The "but there's people who say they love working at Naughty Dog" defense is fun cause it presumes the workers there are allowed to talk about their negative experiences.

Like, yeah, of course there aren't that many people who openly talk about how they hate working there. If they did then they wouldn't be able to get a lot of work in the industry anymore lol.

If they didn't find it "fun", I'm sure they would just say nothing. And you can't legally forbade someone from saying they dislike their job.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you feel like talking about crunch is derailing then report it, I think bad practices coming to light on any thread is fair play imo.
I think it's fair to criticize crunch in this thread, but I would really like to know how many people actually skipped TLOU 2 because they don't want to support games that are known to have long crunch? The best way to criticize crunch culture is by not supporting crunch culture by buying the games.
The game is breaking sales record so that would probably tell you enough

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't find it "fun", I'm sure they would just say nothing. And you can't legally forbade someone from saying they dislike their job.
You think that matters? Or do you seriously think that, for example, the workers quoted in the article about crunch at ND wanted to stay anonymous for no good reason?

Nov 2, 2017
...And what caused him to make said snarky tweets?

Yes, 100% about snarky tweets.

Some of you need to check yourselves. Why do you think this thread exists in the first place? WTF is wrong with some of you?

I said it wasn't the focus and it isn't. The harassment is a non-topic, present only to provide context for the tweets.

You want to make a thread about the harassment, make a thread about the harassment. That's not the thread that's been made. The subject line centers Neil Druckmann and the OP is basically entirely "look at these sick tweets" with one short bit about ongoing harassment to provide context for the tweets.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
  1. Created crunch
  2. Fired Amy Hennig
  3. Fired Bruce Straley because he didn't allow him to kill Elena in Uncharted 2
  4. Fired every senior developer at Naughty Dog to replace them with juniors
  5. Put himself into a game
  6. Created "Shoulders Gate"
  7. Went against the greatest journalist of all time on twitter
  8. Creative director of TLOU 1 and 2

The Goat?

There's actual grown men who think this is all real. And that scares me. It scares me more that this is their response to a video game. You'd think they'd move on to something else without trying to drag others down with them....but nah

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I said it wasn't the focus and it isn't. The harassment is a non-topic, present only to provide context for the tweets.

You want to make a thread about the harassment, make a thread about the harassment. That's not the thread that's been made. The subject line centers Neil Druckmann and the OP is basically entirely "look at these sick tweets" with one short bit about ongoing harassment to provide context for the tweets.

You do realize the OP literally quoted himself to you showing that his OP does in fact, discuss the harassment?

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Honestly i dont get it why Ellie and Joel arent more muscular? All the shit they are pushing and running an climbing and clickers and runners they are fighting. I know it is a videogame but it bother me that Ellie wasnt more ripped, because she is strong as hell and fighting grown ass men one on one. As a father this is a dream that my daughter maybe as strong as her so i do not have to worry about her as much.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Even more parallels with the TLJ.

Rian Johnson was trolling haters on twitter as well.