• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think by now everyone knows that most of the discourse surrounding TLOU2 has been taken over by bigots, misogynists and scumbags of all kinds. Not that there aren't valid criticisms to be made on the game, but I'm talking about the people responsible for reviewbombing, negging every piece of TLOU2 content and harassing and insulting reviewers, video game websites, Neil and other people involved with the game's development.

But I gotta say, the way Neil is handling this is amazing.

For instance, the incels were complaining about this inane bullshit
9bfr2u29an151.jpg

pJ7tWNl.png

People were making up conspiracy bullshit that Neil had self-inserted into the game.

Neil on reviewbombing

Nothing gets this man down

Don't click on the replies to avoid being spoiled.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fully behind any creative who fully backs their work regardless of the public perception. I, as a creative myself, understand. If its like how you want it to be and you're content? Live with that and be happy. That's what's most important.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The Rian Johnson route. Both have confidence in their art and both can do basically whatever the hell they want to do in their respective industries. Class wins out in the end.

This is so clearly the game he wanted to make.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty easy to ignore incels on twitter when your game is blasting past sales records.

Plum

May 31, 2018
User Banned (1 week): thread derail
Would be nice if he responded similarly to people criticising how much his studio relies on crunch.

Like it's kind of hard to see this sort of thing in a good light when he's been almost entirely solwnt on the matter whilst his gaming industry buddy considers journalists to be "just trying to bring us down."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Towards fans? Sure. Him jumping in to dunk on Schreier was embarrassing as fuck.
Him tweeting how proud he was of the animation team after a former animator criticized the studio was also incredibly petty.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like it's kind of hard to see this sort of thing in a good light when him and his buddies consider journalists to be "just trying to bring us down."
he said that?! source?

Towards fans? Sure. Him jumping in to dunk on Schreier was embarrassing as fuck.
Him tweeting how proud he was of the animation team after a former animator criticized the studio was also incredibly petty.
Boosting your team publicly is what good leaders do. If he has criticisms for them he should share those behind closed doors.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, i totally agree. He probably knew this would happen but damn, i am genuinely impressed that he can take it all. Can't be easy. I wouldnt be able to deal with this shit if i was him tbh.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
When you KNOW your title will destroy sales records, Incels/Shitposters have no power

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's his team and he's the current head, of course he's gonna say that. His attitude with crunch is the problematic one.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Pretty easy to ignore incels on twitter when your game is blasting past sales records.

Pretty much this. Review bombs on metacritic and Amazon just highlight how shitty most user review systems are. You've got tons of negative user reviews before anyone could have possibly beat the game.

I mean what's the point of being annoyed by white nationalist nut jobs when you just released a critical and sales behemoth. And when it's beyond obvious that the vast majority of the people who hate the game hate the game because something something black, lesbian, SJW stuff.

Hell if anything I'd be basking in being part of a team that could enrage those people and be super successful at the same time.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but decouple any of Druckmann's actions and words from the singular goal of protecting the interests and image of the studio at this point unfortunately

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Would be nice if he responded similarly to people criticising how much his studio relies on crunch.

Like it's kind of hard to see this sort of thing in a good light when him and his buddies consider journalists to be "just trying to bring us down."

yeah, I'm not sure what we are supposed to be praising here.

he brushes off idiotic criticisms of his successful games. Okay Cool I guess, would be nice if his studio didn't have to endure horrible crunch or if he, yknow, made changes at his studio instead of dunking on the people reporting on the conditions there.

some people on this board love doing Sony PR for them

That shoulder comparison is the second-most encompassing example out there for illustrating why catering to folks like these wackos will always be a bad idea, especially when they're doing it against a game that will be a massive success with or without them calling the shots.

The first, of course, being the entirety of TROS.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
he said that?! source?

He didn't say that, Cory Barlog did, and he was refering to people in the industry and dealing with games in general (namely journalists tearing down other journalists), not necessarily himself.

It's a good idea to take some of the things Plum says with a pinch of salt. He routinely mischaracterises Druckmann and links him to misappropriated and often outright fabricated quotes, this example being far less egregious than stuff he's falsely implied Druckmann as having said in other threads.

What I find especially disingenuous about when he does this, is that he puts these phrases in quotation marks as if Druckmann himself said it, even when he clearly hasn't.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
After all nasty toxic ongoing gross shit with people attacking actors, devs and reviewers and many others it good to see it did not wear them down.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Neil is Vice President of one of the best studios in the industry pumping out successful game after successful game. Guy is really just out here having fun and you love to see it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't say that, Cory Barlog did, and he was refering to people in the industry and dealing with games in general (namely journalists tearing down other journalists), not necessarily himself.

It's a good idea to take some of the things Plum says with a pinch of salt. He routinely mischaracterises Druckmann and links him to misappropriated and often outright fabricated quotes, this example being far less egregious than stuff he's falsely implied Druckmann as having said in other threads.

What I find especially disingenuous about when he does this, is that he puts these phrases in quotation marks as if Druckmann himself said it.
Ah. I knew Plum has a reputation for being hostile towards people but didn't know about the fabricating. Will keep that in mind.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I'm not sure what we are supposed to be praising here.

he brushes off idiotic criticisms of his successful games. Okay Cool I guess, would be nice if his studio didn't have to endure horrible crunch or if he, yknow, made changes at his studio instead of dunking on the people reporting on the conditions there.

some people on this board love doing Sony PR for them
God I should've known. Some people in this forum are as miserable as the characters in TLOU2.

Something like this can easily tear a person down, it can be demoralizing to see your work being taken over in this way, especially one clearly intended for people to discuss and experience in a communal way. I thought it was refreshing to see him react like this, against these toxic pieces of shit, just like how Rian Johnson deal with fan reception to TLJ.

Excuse me, I guess.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I didn't like the changes they made to Joel either. He was the only one though. Ellie, Tommy and Maria all look great.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is these assholes are getting worse now something has to be done by this level of harassment .Black Lives Matter and The PS Gay Pride icon along makes them furious.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
God I should've known. Some people in this forum are as miserable as the characters in TLOU2.

Something like this can easily tear a person down, it can be demoralizing to see your work being taken over in this way, especially one clearly intended for people to discuss and experience in a communal way. I thought it was refreshing to see him react like this, against these toxic pieces of shit, just like how Rian Johnson deal with fan reception to TLJ.

Excuse me, I guess.

Lol he's a millionaire dunking on some of the dumbest people on earth. Le epic win

he should take some of this positive energy and funnel it into making his studio less shitty to work for

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What I find especially disingenuous about when he does this, is that he puts these phrases in quotation marks as if Druckmann himself said it, even when he clearly hasn't.
Plum ?

Plum

May 31, 2018
he said that?! source?

I'm referring to that recent spat with J Schreier. Druckmann didn't specifically say those word, yes, but Barlog went in to the conversation and said "I know it's your job to tear us [industry figures] down," in response to Schreier's rhetoric. Of course Druckmann may not 100% agree but considering the circumstances and the fact that he didn't call out Barlog for saying that (when the entire thread was built around randomly calling out people publicly instead of just sticking to DMs) I can't help but find that he agrees in spirit. In the end any major figure in any industry who has a hostile relationship with journalists is going to be suspect, and that doesn't stop just because Druckmann makes amazing games and is otherwise a really good guy. There needs to be evidence to the contrary, really, because in the end Naughty Dog is still one of the most crunch-filled studios out there and that's not conjecture or anything similar.

He did NOT say that, Cory Barlog said that.

I know, but as I said above I'm not exactly going to leave Druckmann off the hook considering the circumstances there. That comment referred to the general feeling I get when I see how Druckmann has responded to figures like J Schreier, and I've yet to see any true evidence to the contrary.

What I find especially disingenuous about when he does this, is that he puts these phrases in quotation marks as if Druckmann himself said it.

I'm not going to engage with you if you feel that publicly trying to accuse me of consistently lying is the best course of action. Please do not reply to this post.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That shoulder comparison is the second-most encompassing example out there for illustrating why catering to folks like these wackos will always be a bad idea, especially when they're doing it against a game that will be a massive success with or without them calling the shots.

The first, of course, being the entirety of TROS.

TROS is really the perfect example of what not to do.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how much fun the people who have to crunch are having?
Feel free to bring up the crunch, just try not to paint Naughty Dog employees as a whole as victims. Many have expressed that they're not being killed by crunch as outsiders are saying they are. One even said that she might have to see her therapist because some are attacking the game she's proud to be working on out of some misguided attempt to protect them from crunch. You can look up the tweets if you want, they're somewhere in the other threads on this.

Edit:Someone posted it below already

Last edited:

Deleted member 23965

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for calling out this user, he always brings down the level of discourse on any thread related to Naughty Dog. Make it a ton and not a pinch of salt. Jason was totally in the wrong for mischaracterizing the reviewer's tweet, good on Neil and Cory to 'call him out' on his BS.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know, but as I said above I'm not exactly going to leave Druckmann off the hook considering the circumstances there. That comment referred to the general feeling I get when I see how Druckmann has responded to figures like J Schreier, and I've yet to see any true evidence to the contrary.
Then comment on that specifically instead of roping him in with a comment he did not even make.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Schreier was being an ass and a bully though so it was deserved. It was also TLOU2 related. I think what Neil did was great there and his latest tweets are just as awesome.

How the heck can Schreier bully a large, successful game studio and its fans???

The Schindler's List comparison was remarkably tone deaf and tacky, especially considering what that movie is about and what it means to a particular community.

Oct 25, 2017
Cheering for him doing mild bullshit on Twitter is pretty sorry. Dude is in charge of a major player in an industry that wrings people out, and he doesn't try to make it better. Don't cape for bad people, demand change