• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 7, 2020
It's disgusting and completely unacceptable, but likewise I'm not entirely surprised given some of the venom that permeates gaming culture, and some of the types of people it comes from.

I mean, this shit is also ridiculous, and it's over such petty things too. The insecurity and fragily among some to anything remotely pro-women or LGBQT in games, is alarming.

20200507073321.jpg
these videos have little views.
just ignore them

that thequartering dude only reports about agendas that everyone has but him.

its not worth it

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This is so embarrassingly stupid, man the internet + almost anything gets overboard with bullying, racism, and death threats. I was watching someone play FF7 remake a while ago and she started by asking people not to send her anymore death threats. She clarified that she makes fun of a lot of games, Tifa costume, and Cloud's hair just seem funny to her.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I really can't comprehend the absolute hatred these people must have. This is some serious and deep sexism. But it always happens once they believe they have been slighted.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I've been told on this very forum that developers should expect hostility if they don't implement the changes demanded or communicate with the community every day.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, this idea is pretty outdated honestly. A lot of these people are on Twitter with their pictures with their name or picture in full view. Anonymity has largely already ended on the internet, and if anything, it's gotten even worse.

Sadly, it's true, because there's no repercutions, so what's the point of hiding yourself anyways.

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
It's disgusting and completely unacceptable, but likewise I'm not entirely surprised given some of the venom that permeates gaming culture, and some of the types of people it comes from.

I mean, this shit is also ridiculous, and it's over such petty things too. The insecurity and fragily among some to anything remotely pro-women or LGBQT in games, is alarming.

20200507073321.jpg
Jesus Christ.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They've been receiving death threats since they showed Ellie kissing another woman at e3. My favorite fucking thing about these gamers is how long they shouted "If You WAnT to sEE ChaNGes In tHE IndUsTRy MaKe yOur OWn GAmeS" and now people ARE making their own games and every fucking time they harass the shit out of developers.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
that's Gamers for you, who the majority are the worst kind of people on the internet :)

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
People are fucking dumber than dirt. It's as simple as that. You have to be a real smooth-brained, thick-skulled, insecure, entitled fuckwad to insult, let alone threaten, artist and creators who spend YEARS passionately and meticulously working on content you enjoy.

I wish I could say it's mostly stupid children making these threats but we all know that isn't the case.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely horrible the amount of vitriol Neil and ND have received the past couple weeks. Though the folks behind these comments will have a rough time when this game reviews and sells incredibly well.

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Death threats over a...piece of entertainment?

Been this way for a loooong time. I still remember the death threats over some Gamespot reviews (Twilight Princess review immediately comes to mind).

Like, how stupid can some gamers be? Toxic, childish, idiotic. I keep hoping the community improves and changes, but I don't see it happening.

Its goes far beyond Druckmann, and we've had threads where we've discussed it in the past:

www.resetera.com

How Games Marketing Invented Toxic Gamer Culture

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dmayn/games-marketing-toxic-gamer-culture-online-xbox-live-dreamcast Here's a pretty eyeopening article about the toxic dudebro advertising game companies used in the early 2000s. Sega's ads for Heat.net in particular are pretty disgusting, suggesting young...

www.resetera.com

Apex Legends developers spark outrage after calling gamers “dicks”, “ass-hats”and “freeloaders”

The offending comments: Link Link 2 Link 3 https://medium.com/@BenjaminWareing/apex-legends-developers-spark-outrage-c110034fe236 Horrible look for Respawn and shockingly this is dominating the subreddit right now.

Anyways, hopefully Druckmann doesn't let it bother him and keeps his head up high.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
They've been receiving death threats since they showed Ellie kissing another woman at e3. My favorite fucking thing about these gamers is how long they shouted "If You WAnT to sEE ChaNGes In tHE IndUsTRy MaKe yOur OWn GAmeS" and now people ARE making their own games and every fucking time they harass the shit out of developers.

Assholes: Well, if you wanna see changes, make your own games
People: **make their own games with diverse themes and characters**
Assholes: No! Not like that!

Edit. Also, I was surprised about how much hate Dina got. I've seen people calling her awful, awful things online

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's not a gamers only thing, unfortunately

I'm pretty sure that Rian Johnson also got some death threats for TLJ

When you are relevant in entertainment, shit like this always happens

Rian Johnson is alive and well, making new awesome movies, so I expect the same for Neil

I hope that he does his best to ignore the haters and just keep making games with bold storylines

It's not a gamer only thing, no, but this kind of backlash definitely happens a lot more in this medium than others. Yeah, there's films like Ghostbusters and TLJ that are big exceptions, but by and large, that stuff blows over and the groups around them dissipate quickly. Like, take ComicsGate vs GamerGate. The former had kind of their moment, and they still have some big former artists making some Kickstarters and shit, but that largely passed and got little no attention outside a puff piece here and there. GamerGate is still pretty strong, even if they don't call themselves that and aren't as organized, and these kind of backlashes are just constant against everything. Big games, small games, just anything and everything, and the ideas are still pretty clearly represented in major areas.

It's just baked into gaming culture in a way it's not in other entertainment cultures.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
It's now just a fight between the left and the right, it's not even about the game anymore. Those alt-right rats are only waiting for the next big entertainment piece that has anything that doesn't validate all of their opinions to go shit on the people behind it.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Sad that this isn't surprising, but abhorrent behaviour regardless that should be called out every time.

This is definitely the thread to start a discussion about something like this.
Not
I mean it kinda is? Death threats are awful regardless and the way that message was originally written allowed for a reading of "Oh, death threats are okay, but not past a certain level of quality/fame".

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me wants to look at the leaks just to see what the hell these idiots are flipping out over.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Hopefully its not too many. There are always a few nutcases, and the game leaked for the whole internet to see, so even if a fraction of those saw it wrote, its going to seem like an overwhelming amount.

CannedSoup

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who hasn't seen the leaks, I feel like I can kind of piece together why this specific group of "gamers" are outraged.

Those youtube thumbnails, dear lord

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
You know you've made it in the industry when you receive death threats. Now he's in the special club. Welcome, it is quite lovely here, we have drinks every Wednesday night where we share stories of our youth. 😸

I don't know if it is sad or funny that we joke about these things, because they happen so often. 🤷‍♀️

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

20200507073321.jpg
Holy fuck what miserable shits

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Use of alt-right rhetoric, numerous prior severe bans
Not into SJ but it is plain wrong to use death threats because of you don't like something. Just don't buy the game like i am doing.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The internet didn't make people worse, but it sure did make it way, way easier for the bad people to affect others.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely pathetic... but not surprising in the least.

You need to find human garbage, you need look no further than gamers.

20200507073321.jpg

Jesus fucking wept...

Forgive me if I sound overly angry on the matter, but I honestly consider these kind of people to be the absolute scum of the Earth. Nothing more than fascistic, grifting parasites clinging to the festering butthole of the industry.

I honestly don't have the words to express the depths of my loathing for scum like The Quartering and his ilk.

Sep 14, 2018
The funny thing is what they're up in arms about is fake xD

Except for Ellie being a lesbian and in a same sex relationship featured very prominently which is probably their actual issue with this game/ND.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Death threats for anything are ridiculous. Threats of any kind for a piece of entertainment are beyond pathetic. It has to be awful for developers, wondering why they're even doing this when the result is toxicity from entitled man children.